Magnitogorsk press release: Malkin agreed to stay

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Magnitogorsk press release: Malkin agreed to stay

Postby Tomas on Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:45 am

http://metallurg.ru/news/24621/

I am quite confident about my ability to translate this. Main points:

- during negotiations culminating late in the night between the team's President Viktor Rashnikov and the player with his agent, both parties agreed:

a) to cancel the existing contract running until 4/30/2008.
b) to sign a new contract. Malkin will play the next season in Magnitogorsk and on May 1, 2007, he will become a free agent with the ability to pick any team.

According to Malkin, President's direct interest in Evgeni future played a key role in finding this solution.

Malkin will join the team on Tuesday.
Last edited by Tomas on Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rohit on Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:16 am

...well thats a buzzkill :cry:
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Magnitogorsk press release: Malkin agreed to stay

Postby Donald Fagen on Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:17 am

Tomas wrote:http://metallurg.ru/news/24621/

I am quite confident about my ability to translate this. Main points:

- during negotiations culminating late in the night between the team's President Viktor Rashnikov and the player with his agent, both parties agreed:

a) to cancel the existing contract running until 4/30/2008.
b) to sign a new contract. Malkin will play the next season in Magnitogorsk and on May 1, 2007, he will become a free agent with the ability to pick any team.

According to Malkin, the direct involvement of team's President played a key role in finding this solution.

Malkin will join the team on Tuesday.

F the russian bastards!!!!!!!!!! rot in hell commies
Donald Fagen

Postby MrKnowNothing on Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:28 am

Again I find myself not really sure what to make of this whole thing. If this ends up playing out this way, definitively for this year, then I think it probably came down to Malkin not wanting to leave on bad terms.

What I really don't get is Velichkin's actions in this whole thing. On the surface, this appears to be some kind of compromise that allows Malkin to give another year to Mettalurg and then be free to pursue his goals in the NHL on good terms, but I just do not trust Velichkin. Even if Russia got a more favorable transfer agreement offered to them, their supposed goal was to improve their league, so you would think Velichkin is going to continue to do everything in his power to keep Malkin as long as possible.

This also brings me to question whether there was actually any kind of handshake agreement that Malkin could leave when he wanted. If there was, further reason to not trust Velichkin. If there wasn't, maybe he will actually let Malkin go when he wants. His statements about this whole situation have been a little unsettling, and I don't really think he has ever committed himself to one line of thinking or another. Furthermore I don't really think the RHFs motives have ever been very clear in all of this.

Something about this contract business just doesn't feel right. Mettalurg does not want to let him go for nothing now, but is willing to let him go for nothing next year? I'll believe it when I see it.

No matter what does happen, if Malkin ends up staying, Brisson better be smart enough to have him serve his "military" duties, because that is one card that hasn't been pulled in all of this yet.
MrKnowNothing

Re: Magnitogorsk press release: Malkin agreed to stay

Postby jmh470 on Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:32 am

Tomas wrote:According to Malkin, President's intimidation and strong-arming of Evgeni played a key role in finding this solution.

Fixed.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The U on Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:51 am

This is the Pittsburgh Penguins here. If it can go wrong, it will.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby letsgopens8787 on Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:04 am

S H * T

EDIT: Lol. I love how we were all so upset about it, and he just signed with us yesterday morning.
Last edited by letsgopens8787 on Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
letsgopens8787

Postby The U on Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:27 am

No biggie....Who needs a 2nd line center anyways. I'm sure we have 3 or 4 guys in WBS or Wheeling ready to step right in. :roll:

This is 2 years in a row now. It's getting old. You know when he fired his agenst a few days ago that wasnt a good sign.

HOPEFULLY some other source will come around and prove this to be just a nasty rumor or some russian propoganda but this is the worst piece of Malkin-related news we've had since last year.

FYI: here's the babelfish translation:

Its following season Of malkin will conduct in Magnitke the date: 7 August 10:10 source: Press center KHK metallurgist Magnitogorsk Is The author: It is review: 2505 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Yesterday in the evening for the negotiations with Yevgeny Malkinym, after interrupting its annual leave, into Magnitogorsk urgently arrived flying the President of hockey club "metallurgist" Magnitogorsk Victor filippovich Rashnikov. As a result of the completed by late night negotiations, during which was present the leaders of club and hockey player with their agent, was annulled the previous contract, according to which Malkin was the player of Magnitogorsk club until 30 April, 2008, and was signed new contract. His following season Yevgeny will conduct in the composition of "metallurgist", and from 1 May 2007, Of malkin will become free agent and it will be able to independently select its future club. It is worthwhile to note that the important value for Yevgeny in making of this decision played the direct interest of the President of club Victor rashnikova in further career of player. On Tuesday Of malkin it is joined to the command, which in Sunday returned from President bashkortostan's goblet.

Good luck sifting through all that. haha. I think I retained, "magnitogorsk, negotiations, may 1 2007, and goblet."
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:35 am

Wonderful, just wonderful.

I doubt Malkin had a change of heart in a few days. I'm sure there were some things going on behind the scenes.

Velichikin is a rat.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tomas on Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:17 am

Malkin finally added to the roster on Metallurg Magnitogorsk official website (I was checking the site regularly, and he was not there until this weekend).

http://metallurg.ru/base/player/3173/
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:03 am

OK, someone tell me why we should have any optimism about Malkin playing for the Pens this year? SOmething besides "I guarantee it because I feel that way," please. :evil:

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NJ5934 on Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:29 am

skullman80 wrote:Wonderful, just wonderful.

I doubt Malkin had a change of heart in a few days. I'm sure there were some things going on behind the scenes.

Velichikin is a rat.

This is all the typical strongarm Russian ****. We will be going through this again next year. Obviously there was so much more to the change in agents then we'll probably ever know. If this kid wants to spend his career in f'in Russia, trade his damn rights. I'm surprised he didn't end up with broken legs. What a joke.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bh on Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:56 am

Wow what great news to start a Monday with. See, I guess Malkin is an invertibrate. Russian #$shole. Yeah I'm all for trading his rights. We could probably get a hefty return for him.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:59 am

bh wrote:Wow what great news to start a Monday with. See, I guess Malkin is an invertibrate. Russian #$shole. Yeah I'm all for trading his rights. We could probably get a hefty return for him.

Unfortunately the time to trade him has passed. We had a small window at the draft to get a pick to replace him prior to the fate of the transfer agreement.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:00 am

bh wrote:Wow what great news to start a Monday with. See, I guess Malkin is an invertibrate. Russian #$shole. Yeah I'm all for trading his rights. We could probably get a hefty return for him.

How could we get a hefty return for a player who is just as likely to play for any other team that holds his rights as he is the Penguins?

I don't even buy this whole story 100%. Let the Pens report it, then I will be sold.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bh on Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:07 am

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:

How could we get a hefty return for a player who is just as likely to play for any other team that holds his rights as he is the Penguins?

I don't even buy this whole story 100%. Let the Pens report it, then I will be sold.

Well it sounds like he has one more year over there and then next year he "might" be in the NHL. At least the contract thing can't get in the way next year but who knows what else is going on over there. Well if we can't trade him I guess we have to wait another year to let the saga play out.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Cire7 on Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:09 am

I think he had no choice, so he made a deal to play in Russia 1 more season to rip up his old contract to become a FA after the up coming season or they would have enrolled him into his military service & he would have been stuck there 2 more years.
Cire7
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby NIN on Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:15 am

"There is nothing to worry about you negative nancies! For the last time, HE'LL BE HERE!"

GAWD :roll:
NIN

Postby Ben Klingston on Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:26 am

Well. Crap.

Who's left to sign as a rent-a-center (pun intended) for a year?
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Three Stars on Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:30 am

Ben Klingston wrote:Well. Crap.

That's just it. There's nobody out there that's really worth the expense. If Shero was going to sign a 2nd line center, he would have done it already.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bowser on Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:33 am

There is a whole lot more to this story than Malkin sticking around for another year in Russia. I don't have any inside info but I'd say its almost a 100% lock the Russian mafia (aka former KGB agents) made a visit to Malkin and his family.

This isn't over by a long shot.

The NHL and IIHF need to put their foot down on the throat of Russian Communists by denying them to host the World Championship and begin toughening their stance on future Russian NHLers in the Olympics.

Jordan Staal's chances of making the Pens just increased by 100%.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pfim on Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:36 am

Ben Klingston wrote:Well. Crap.

Is the answer Jesus?

There aren't any.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bill from turtle creek on Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:37 am

It's clear that nothing is clear over there. Even though his new "contract" says he can come over next year, it seems obvious that this will be fluid as needed for the needs of Russia. They can probably still make him do his "military service" next year, if this is deemed useful to them. The way they "hold" his passport for him is incredibly degrading, and speaks volumes of how they view him---not as a person, but as a tool to be used for their benefit.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby André on Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:38 am

Bowser wrote:There is a whole lot more to this story than Malkin sticking around for another year in Russia. I don't have any inside info but I'd say its almost a 100% lock the Russian mafia (aka former KGB agents) made a visit to Malkin and his family.

This isn't over by a long shot.

The NHL and IIHF need to put their foot down on the throat of Russian Communists by denying them to host the World Championship and begin toughening their stance on future Russian NHLers in the Olympics.

Jordan Staal's chances of making the Pens just increased by 100%.

Can people stop hoping for staal. There are no benefits from rushing him and he's not that good yet. You just want to see an exciting name when writing down possible lines? Give it a rest.

About Malkin: ****. They'll lie to him about something next year as well so he wont be here.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bse on Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:40 am

Bowser wrote:I don't have any inside info but I'd say its almost a 100% lock the Russian mafia (aka former KGB agents) made a visit to Malkin and his family.

The NHL and IIHF need to put their foot down on the throat of Russian Communists

Great insight :roll:

I'm sure there's more to it, but come on.. here you are once again at it
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins