Palffy: return 50-50, considers coming back to Pittsburgh

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Palffy: return 50-50, considers coming back to Pittsburgh

Postby Tomas on Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:47 pm

Excerpts from interview with Radio VIVA:
http://www.hokej.sk/clanok43357.htm

"It's fifty-fifty. I guess I could go back on ice in September to see how it goes. I have to practice a lot, because I haven't been playing for quite some time. You always feel different when you are in civilian clothes compared to wearing hockey gear on ice. The important thing will be how I'd feel. I don't want to force it, but I'd like to resume my career."

Palffy would be eligible to return to Pittsburgh in February 2007 (apparently retired players have to wait exactly one year before coming back).

"I miss hockey, though I guess so does everybody who retires. I could return to Pittsburgh in February, but they can trade me as well."

About the shoulder:
"Right now it feels good. I take various massages. The crucial thing is how I'd feel in September."

Palffy's career stats:
Team Slovakia: Gold WC 2001, Bronze WC 2003; 64 games, 36 goals.
NHL: 708 games (incl. 24 during play-offs); 338 goals, 394 assists.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:12 pm

Interesting, great find as alway Tomas. Hell, make your comeback Ziggy in February, then we can deal you to the Wild for a good player/prospect so you can get your wish and play with Demitra.

Still not sure, Ziggy is a weird dude, many of his former teammates felt that way also.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby conforto45 on Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:20 pm

id love for him to come back... put him w/ Sid and Colby.. that would be a nice line...barring his health is 100%

i know missing practically 2 years of hockey hurts, but you never really lose the hands, just your legs.. the speed of the game comes w/ the strenghening of the legs...

bring em back...
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:42 pm

If I'm Ray Shero, I'd be biting at the chops to get him back here so he can prove his trade value. Despite what many biased Penguin fans think, this guy would bring a decent, if not excellent return from a team looking for an extra scoring threat for the playoffs.

While with the Penguins, Palffy's lack effort was very apparent, because the team as a whole was not very productive. When a guy you expect to be the best is not perfoming and not going 100%, it makes the situation look 100 times worse. Put Palffy on a team that has two scoring lines and he'll produce. Heck, he was near a point per game with the Penguins.

While he did leave the team -- for reasons no one on this board is privy to -- he still is known as an good, if not elite forward. Say what you want, but if he comes back, I would be very surprised if there wasn't overwhelming interest in him. If you don't believe me, look at another elite quitter, Dominic Hasek. He has quit on his teams many times and at any sight of injury, he's done. Still, he has signed with last year's #1 team. Palffy is younger and, shoulder aside, in better shape. There almost suredly will be much interest
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby HockeyDaddy on Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:23 pm

If I am MT...there is no way I let this guy into my locker room. If I am Shero, I don't want him in my organization in any way. I say let the bum sit at home and watch until his contract runs out. I hope the Penguins never give him one more penny. I don't even want to trade him.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby zamboniman on Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:25 pm

He bailed on us, I've bailed on him...
zamboniman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby netwolf on Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:38 pm

As with Recchi, I don't have any interest. If Shero and MT sign off on it, I could live with it though. MT has more insight into what really went down and I suspect that if Palffy quit as rumored, that MT would have no interest in seeing him back unless it was just as a 1 month audition improve his trade value at the deadline.

We'd be real heavy on RW though with him, Recchi, and Armstrong.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jmh470 on Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:41 pm

He'll get traded at the deadline, so it's a good situation for the Pens. I just hope he plays well so his trade value will increase.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Three Stars on Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:44 pm

It's Petr Nedved all over again. I just hope the trade works out as well.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:49 pm

zamboniman wrote:He bailed on us, I've bailed on him...

So you felt this way about Lemieux each time he bailed due to injury or illness?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:50 pm

Three Stars wrote:It's Petr Nedved all over again. I just hope the trade works out as well.

What trade?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:52 pm

Jim wrote:
Three Stars wrote:It's Petr Nedved all over again. I just hope the trade works out as well.

What trade?

Nedved went to the Rangers in the deal that brought Kovalev here.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:53 pm

"works out AS well" I get it... reading comprehension moron!!!! Yes... rippin on myself.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ivand87 on Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:17 pm

"I miss hockey, though I guess so does everybody who retires. I could return to Pittsburgh in February, but they can trade me as well."

:roll:

I don't want a quitter either, but I *KNEW* this day would come. It would only take a few months for him to realize that there is nothing better for him to do than to play hockey. Pro sports careers are short enough as it is, so quitting early is rarely an option that makes sense for anyone.

His retirement was an unbelievably retarded decision. If he does come back, the Pens should shop him immediately.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:23 pm

A question: when he retired, Patrick said his contract was off the books. Doesn't that mean Shero would have to negotiate a new deal prior to him coming back?

If that's the case, Shero would have an interesting decision to make. On one hand, signing him to a one year deal would involve the least risk, but it would also provide the least trade value.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:56 pm

The only thing I need to know is what Shero can get for him.

No way does he fit into the 'high energy hard work' mold that Shero is putting together. I have no use for him.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:48 pm

you know what upsets me most about being a Pens fan? There just isn;t anything interesting to discuss!

Just kidding, cue the trumbone.

If he returns Malone would definately be looked at to play center. Palffy would probably be moved to the Crosby's LW. Right now we need all the help we can get and he has great skills and speed despite the frailty.
NIN

Postby Draftnik on Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:29 pm

The guy is a useless heartless floater. When he was moved off Crosby's line last year he was totally ineffective. Armstrong and Hilbert produced just as much if not more when paired with Crosby. A cigar store Indian could siphon assists playing with Crosby.

Players that retire from an injury get paid the balance of their contract or get some kind of buyout. This loser didn't get any $$$ for his alleged shoulder problem because it doesn't exist. This guy quit because he is soft.

His lack of character and work ethic are 180 degrees from the culture Shero is trying to build. Why would Shero even consider unleashing this poison in the room with so many impressionable young players on the roster?
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby HomerPenguin on Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:46 pm

Draftnik wrote:The guy is a useless heartless floater. When he was moved off Crosby's line last year he was totally ineffective. Armstrong and Hilbert produced just as much if not more when paired with Crosby. A cigar store Indian could siphon assists playing with Crosby.

Players that retire from an injury get paid the balance of their contract or get some kind of buyout. This loser didn't get any $$$ for his alleged shoulder problem because it doesn't exist. This guy quit because he is soft.

His lack of character and work ethic are 180 degrees from the culture Shero is trying to build. Why would Shero even consider unleashing this poison in the room with so many impressionable young players on the roster?

Trade value, that's the only reason. Even if he's a Penguin again in February, if he's gone by the trading deadline that's fine by me.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby zamboniman on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:23 pm

Jim wrote:
zamboniman wrote:He bailed on us, I've bailed on him...

So you felt this way about Lemieux each time he bailed due to injury or illness?

Do you really think Palffy retired because of an injury? If not, there is no comparing the situations. I don't care how good he is, even though his performance on the ice last year could tell me otherwise. I simply do not respect the guy for quitting partly through the season.
zamboniman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:30 pm

The whole retirement issue doesn't really bother me. I think it was a mistake that I am sure Palffy regrets. We have to realize too that Palffy is a strange bird, he marches to his own drummer. If he wants to come back and RS and MT have done there due dilligence that he's 100% committed to playing and producing on the team. How can you not want him back?

The whole, he quit on his team argument is more directed toward his teammates from last year. Crosby already spoke to Palffy this summer and there was no hard feelings, at least reported. If Sid, RS and MT are on board, sign him up.

It's a business, whatever makes the Penguins put a better product on the ice and the players and managment all agree, then it's a no brainer.

I mean, look at other sports. You can do steroids, commit felonies and your teammates welcome you back with open arms. I think the same can/will be said for Palffy.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby td_ice on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:36 pm

Wow, tough call.

I guess it would depened on how his teammates viewed it. Whether Palffy quit, or was legitmately hurt.

I actually believed he was hurt. Watching his play, before the announcement, I thought there was something wrong with him. And when I heard about the recurring shoulder problems, to me that made sense.

As far as him playing with Sid?

Crosby was asked at one point during the year, who he liked playing with the most. After giving the obligatory, "I like everyone I have played with", Sid named Palffy has the player he enjoyed playing with the most.

Now that was pre-Colby, so maybe his answer would have been different at season's end.

I say let him come back. As long as he didn't "quit", and had legit reasons.

I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt not knowing all the facts of the story.
td_ice
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Draftnik on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:41 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:Trade value, that's the only reason. Even if he's a Penguin again in February, if he's gone by the trading deadline that's fine by me.

I don't pretend to know the CBA rules (if they exist) about a guy retiring then unretiring, but is seems logical that if the Pens control his rights they would do so under the terms of his previous contract. After all, if he is restricted to playing for the Pens he has to be contractually bound under his previous terms. If not, how would his compensation be determined?

I see no upside in adding a guy that was grossly overpaid to the payroll. He would be making $4M to $5M prorated for the balance of the 06/07 season and just as much if not more for the 07/08 season. I see no reason any GM with a sliver of brain would trade for him and the Pens would be stuck with another albatross.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Draftnik on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:52 pm

td_ice wrote:I guess it would depened on how his teammates viewed it. Whether Palffy quit, or was legitmately hurt.

I actually believed he was hurt. Watching his play, before the announcement, I thought there was something wrong with him. And when I heard about the recurring shoulder problems, to me that made sense.

NHL contracts are guaranteed against injury. Injured players were paid their full NHL salaries during the lockout. Guys that weren't paid (Owen Nolan) sued their teams for back pay. Palffy didn't retire because of an injury and continue to be paid or receive a lump sum injury settlement. He simply quit.

The stats don't lie. Armstrong and Hilbert scored more goals per game with Crosby than Palffy. That is a fact, not my opinion. Crosby lifted Armstrong past his AHL output and Hilbert much above his previous NHL output. Palffy was pathetic by comparison. He is a soft floater that does not have production worthy of a $4M-$5M salary.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby td_ice on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:58 pm

Draftnik wrote:
td_ice wrote:The stats don't lie. Armstrong and Hilbert scored more goals per game with Crosby than Palffy. That is a fact, not my opinion. Crosby lifted Armstrong past his AHL output and Hilbert much above his previous NHL output. Palffy was pathetic by comparison. He is a soft floater that does not have production worthy of a $4M-$5M salary.

Wow, I never said Palffy had better stats playing with Sid than anyone else.

In fact the only thing I said about Sid, was what Crosby himself said.

Wow, if you have a problem with that, take it up with Sid.
td_ice
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins