Who's got the better group of defencemen?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Who's got the better group of defencemen?

Postby randy on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:58 pm

Both teams are struggling, which one has the better group? It will be interesting to watch through the coming seasons and see which one comes out ahead.

Pens: Orpik, Whitney, Welch, Scuderi, Lannon, Letang/Bissonette

Chicago: Keith, Seabrook, Barker, Wisnewski, Vandermeer, Richmond
randy

Re: Who's got the better group of defencemen?

Postby NIN on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:03 pm

randy wrote:Both teams are struggling, which one has the better group? It will be interesting to watch through the coming seasons and see which one comes out ahead.

Pens: Orpik, Whitney, Welch, Scuderi, Lannon, Letang/Bissonette

Chicago: Keith, Seabrook, Barker, Wisnewski, Vandermeer, Richmond

I wish I could provide some insight but I have a difficult time typing about players I have never even seen take a shift. The ECHL all-star game was fun to watch but I don't recall any of those names. Although Whitney could use some time there right now.
NIN

Postby Scott on Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:59 am

well, I have watched the blackhawks a bit...

The D men playing right now for the Pens and the Blackhawks,,,

Chicago has the better of the comparo...

From a prospect standpoint...who knows..Welch seems pretty good, but then again, so did Whitney.. :(
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jmh70 on Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:52 am

Chicago by a wide margin. Keith is playing great hockey right now, unlike anyone on the Pens' blueline. Barker and Seabrook are both blue chip prospects, while Whitney and Welch are not.

Chicago is actually loaded on the blueline. Perhaps the Pens could trade this years pick for one or two of their prospects.
jmh70

Postby Gaucho on Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:06 am

What do you mean "so did Whitney"? He's a rookie and as far as I know also needed some time to get used to the AHL-level before he became a dominant force there. He'll be fine.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:02 am

It amazes me how impatient people are for the young men to develop Gaucho. If it were up to them, we'd never give a defensemane (or a forward for that matter) more than a month to perform.

This team is extremely YOUNG! They need time people. And, I'm not talking 2 weeks here. It will be 2 seasons before you see these kids perform at the level they should.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby randy on Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:17 am

I remember 1st round pick Doug Bodger saying it took him 200 nhl games
(roughly 3 seasons) to really get the hang of playing in the pros.
randy

Postby Pitts on Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:44 am

ziggystardust wrote:
Pitts wrote:It amazes me how impatient people are for the young men to develop Gaucho. If it were up to them, we'd never give a defensemane (or a forward for that matter) more than a month to perform.

This team is extremely YOUNG! They need time people. And, I'm not talking 2 weeks here. It will be 2 seasons before you see these kids perform at the level they should.

If management shows no patience with the players why should the fans?

anyway, I don't think people are "giving up" on whitney. Clearly though, he shouldn't be playing in the NHL. He isn't developing and he's hurting the big club right now.

Hurting the big club??? Who the hell isn't? To call out 1 man is insane. They need time and experience. End of story.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins