CEC Ice

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: CEC Ice

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:52 am

Pitt87 wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:
Kicksave wrote:State College? What big acts skip Pittsburgh to go to State College?

youd be surprised.

So none then? Because the only national events at the Bryce Jordan center besides PSU basketball between now and the end of the year are Dane Cook and the Eagles.

Guess where Dane Cook is 6 nights before State College??

http://www.bjc.psu.edu/Events/listview.asp

And the Eagles 3 nights before??

http://www.eaglesband.com/tour.php
:roll:

:roll: right back at yourself

Refer to my original point.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:58 am

I imagine that the ice needs to build up layers of strength ?. With today, already in the 70's here, I don't expect the ice to be great tonight.
I wouldn't judge the ice by the first game played in September. IN june, we'll see how it is. ;)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:14 am

I think with everything being new, and it still being warm, the ice crew deserve a bit of a break on the ice quality.

However, come October and the real games, I certainly hope that they have much improved ice. Playing more games on bad ice can lead to more injuries. Skill players will not be able to utilize their skill on crappy ice. So, in the big scheme of things, the ice quality in a new building better be what they paid for. If they scrimped on the ice making/maintaining equipment, the decision makers should be forced to sit on it pantless for an hour.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:38 am

Pitt87 wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:
Kicksave wrote:State College? What big acts skip Pittsburgh to go to State College?

youd be surprised.

So none then? Because the only national events at the Bryce Jordan center besides PSU basketball between now and the end of the year are Dane Cook and the Eagles.

Guess where Dane Cook is 6 nights before State College??

http://www.bjc.psu.edu/Events/listview.asp

And the Eagles 3 nights before??

http://www.eaglesband.com/tour.php
:roll:

Alan Jackson was there last year. T.I. was supposed to come recently until he got arrested for meth. Not sure if he was coming to PGH or not. thats 2 recent ones I can think of.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bathgate on Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:00 pm

I've followed the Pens since 1967 and until about 1980 when Edmonton joined the league with their supposedly superior ice, you never heard much about good ice versus bad ice. Ice was ice. It was very slippery. Unless there was ponded water or actual holes in the ice, nobody complained about bad ice. Do any other "oldtimers" remember it that way? One exception: I think there were always some complaints about MSG ice because they held so many non-hockey events there compared to other arenas.

If you watched a few of the classic games from the 1960's and 1970's on the NHL Network, I don't think you heard them discussing the ice conditions. Many of those games were Stanley Cup games played in warm and humid April and May weather in hot buildings that had no air conditioning. Going back even further to the early NHL, I'm guessing that artificial ice making technology was a lot more crude. Yet the games went on, the players played, and the fans enjoyed watching.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ryan21081 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:14 pm

Jasmine wrote:When the Pens opened camp, the CEC ice was not good with speculation that it was due to a concert just days before. This is a "state-of-the-art" building in which perfect ice should be the major priority, no? Should we be worring about this?

There was a Rush Concert on Thursday and a Nickleback/three days grace Concert Friday..... and it was the first practice.. Do you really have that little going on your lifr that this is your consuming worry?
ryan21081
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:16 pm

ryan21081 wrote:
Jasmine wrote:When the Pens opened camp, the CEC ice was not good with speculation that it was due to a concert just days before. This is a "state-of-the-art" building in which perfect ice should be the major priority, no? Should we be worring about this?

There was a Rush Concert on Thursday and a Nickleback/three days grace Concert Friday..... and it was the first practice.. Do you really have that little going on your lifr that this is your consuming worry?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby crayz on Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:17 pm

I think we should use only Fuji water to freeze in to ice. No more of this tap water stuff
crayz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jasmine on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:19 am

The CEC ice still looked soft last night. Players were falling awkwardly (no injuries thankfully), interviewees looked exhausted (more so than normal), and you could see all the skate mark on HDTV. Only good for the five fights as players could stay on their feet longer. This has to be a worry even though players are quiet about it.
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:26 am

Jasmine wrote:The CEC ice still looked soft last night. Players were falling awkwardly (no injuries thankfully), interviewees looked exhausted (more so than normal), and you could see all the skate mark on HDTV. Only good for the five fights as players could stay on their feet longer. This has to be a worry even though players are quiet about it.

I could not disagree more with everything you said.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:40 am

Jasmine wrote:The CEC ice still looked soft last night. Players were falling awkwardly (no injuries thankfully), interviewees looked exhausted (more so than normal), and you could see all the skate mark on HDTV. Only good for the five fights as players could stay on their feet longer. This has to be a worry even though players are quiet about it.

Where was the game in HD? I know it was listed on the HD channel, but it sure wasn't in HD here on Comcast when I went back and looked at the game.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:44 am

You worry too much.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kicksave on Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:28 pm

It wasn't broadcast in HD last night.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jasmine on Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:53 pm

DelPen wrote:

Sorry, DP, but you disagree with the players then. I asked one (no name since he told the truth) of them at practice today, and he said the ice [quote] "was soft". As some have said, it may be okay in time. I hope so!
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jasmine on Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:56 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
You worry too much.

People tell me that. My husband says I LIKE to worry, but honestly I try not to. It's a constant battle, though. :lol:
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:50 pm

worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but doesnt get you anywhere
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:59 pm

it would be disappointing if the ice wasn't at least an improvement over mellon. it'll take a decade or two before a player would talk smack about the new arena, so we're not going to get an honest answer about ice quality and how it relates to the course of a pens game, but it has always seemed like the pens respond worse to bad ice than anyone they play against. i don't expect canadian ice, or even ice from an arena further south that's used mostly for hockey, but the CEC should (eventually) at least be comparable to the ice at the arenas in places like DC or Newark. if that's not the case someone probably screwed up.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:22 pm

Jasmine wrote:DelPen wrote:

Sorry, DP, but you disagree with the players then. I asked one (no name since he told the truth) of them at practice today, and he said the ice
"was soft". As some have said, it may be okay in time. I hope so!

Well the player I asked said it was fine :roll:
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DrBoni on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:28 pm

I don't have anything right in front of me, but more than one of the players have gone on record about the ice being poor at camp and at the games.
DrBoni
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:38 pm

lol
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kicksave on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:02 pm

This thread brings so much joy to my heart.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:00 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but doesnt get you anywhere

it can get you to the nuthouse
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kicksave on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:25 am

lol
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:37 am

scared
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jesse on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:50 pm

This is the first time I've ever seen a players exhaustion rate directly correlated to how tired he looked during an interview rather than on the ice.

Frankly, I am stunned and I have no rebuttal.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins