Here's why they lost tonight...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Here's why they lost tonight...

Postby netwolf on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:27 am

Early in the game they had two golden chances to score in was for all intents and purposes, empty nets and the missed on each. If they put in one of those, it could have been a different result. They didn't and the game went down hill from there. Early on, Boston was buzzing, but not able to score. If the Pens could have got up 1-0 after that, Boston would have been defalted and the Pens would have gained some much needed confidence.

Penalty killing also did them in again. I don't have numbers to back this up, bu I think if they cleared the puck every time they had an oppotunity to do so, the PK would improve by at least 10%. Tonight, Recchi had an opportunity to clear the puck on the puck and failed to do so. I imeediately commented "Watch, that's gonne come back to bite them in the butt." Just as I finished the sentence, the Bruins scored. That's a basic play and even average teams make it routinely.

I did not see a lot of team play from the Pens tonight either. Every time a Penguin had the puck on his stick, the rest of the team was not doing a good job of making themselves availble for passes. On the rare occaisions they did, the puck carrier was being pressured and had no time to find anyone.

I do not have any expectations of them for the rest of this year, but games like this concern me. I am sure there are guys in that room that care, but it's hard to see that in games like this. Losing breeds losing and games like this almost make it look like the team is resigned to their fate from the moment one thing goes aginst them. That is not good and is a little surprising, given the number of young guys on the team.

A couple of good things (not mentioneing Fleury, with the way the team played in front of him, he did what he could):

Eric Boguniecki deserves kudos for his assist. Even though that goal was meaningless, he made a really nice play to spin of the check wit hit Sorovy coming down the slot. I heard many getting on him for not shooting, but that was a great play by him. Given that Surovy (tonight's goal excluded) and Armstrong have cooled a little, I would like to see Boguniecki get rewarded with a spot on the top line next game.

Andre Roy also had a monster shift in the third. I think he nailed 2 or 3 Bruins in the offensive zone on the forecheck and almost got another in the defensive zone. If they can get him the ice time to go out and do more of that, he can still be an asset to this team evenif his pricetag is a little high. On night where they go 7 D, I like the idea of Crosby double shifting a little with Roy riding shotgun. You could tell he isn't used to playing with skill guys though...
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:44 am

What I noticed was a complete UNwillingness to shoot the puck. I can't tell you how many times they'd gain the zone and the puck carrier had a wide open shot and they would choose to pass it off. This goes for Crosby to. The entire team just plain old doesn't shoot. Frustrating!

Boguniecki's assist was sweet. When he was driven wide without shooting, I slumped again. Then I saw him spin and feed Surovy. It was a great play. Roy was out for a few shifts earlier than his monster one in the 3rd and was pretty invisible. He needs to hit like that consistently. He fired up the crowd and his team by doing so.

Enjoyed the Fleury chant on that nutty glove save in the 3rd. He's fantastic! And Orpik is a monster every game. Crosby needs the Olympic break to rest and recharge his game.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby abigFATAss on Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:37 am

Pitts wrote:What I noticed was a complete UNwillingness to shoot the puck.

I'd rather them not shoot than shoot and miss the net. That's their biggest problem, all season long. Whitney missed the net I don't know how many times tonight. Gonchar misses the net on a consistent basis. Crosby also missed the net tonight. I'm pretty sure all the other guys have missed the net their fair share as well.

There is absolutely no excuse for NHL caliber players to miss the net at anytime.
abigFATAss

Postby pfim on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:22 am

They lost last night because they played last night. They won't lose tonight because they're not playing, that's really what it has come to.

One bad faceoff and coverage breakdown by their best player, one fluke goal, and one penalty while already shorthanded, 3-1.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

A losing attitude

Postby penny lane on Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:12 am

"One bad faceoff and coverage breakdown by their best player, one fluke goal, and one penalty while already shorthanded, 3-1."

Having 1 best player + handful of quality players gives us individual
play that results in not much of anything. It was a game where passes
found nobody. Too many passes on PP; trying to give puck for goal to
boost confindence of a player. Sid had one shot; he needs to shoot more when he sees that his passes go to open ice instead of a player. Marc-Andre Fleury responded well to the lashing by Therrien; Fleury had the
right in the world to refuse to come out for the 3rd period. Ryan Malone half-hearted efforts to fight for the puck all game.

Individually the players may care; their careers are playing hockey, but they are not a team. haven't been from the get-go; they are not giving
max efforts to their teammates.

Now and in march it is about saving penguin hockey by attending the games. It is almost painful to watch Sid try to do all...that too is part of the problem. I feel the GM has left this team.

they need to watch the movie "the titans."

If Sid goes to the olympics; he'll never come back to us.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MarioLives on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:31 pm

This team does not try even a tiny bit.....that is what they lost
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jimjom on Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:07 pm

Hmm, I thought they lost because they friggin' stink. :idea:
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby socket on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:08 pm

jimjom wrote:Hmm, I thought they lost because they friggin' stink. :idea:
I thought that, too. :lol:
socket
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:59 pm

jimjom wrote:Hmm, I thought they lost because they friggin' stink. :idea:

While techincally true, that doesn't leave much else availble for discussion, does it?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins