Gretzky KNEW!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Gretzky KNEW!

Postby Pops16 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:53 am

Per Mike and Mike this morning. They claim the authorities have audio tap of him discussing the ring before it was disbanned on Monday! Kinda flies in the face of "duhhh, I didn't know my wife blew $500,000. I had no idea of any ring..."

I guess Wayne may really have taught Mario how to win...when in doubt, bet the over!

Details and link to follow.
Pops16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

No real surprise right?

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:01 am

Yeah, That's what I was saying yesterday. There's no way he wouldn't have known when it involved his wife and his best friend.

Here's a link to the most recent news!

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf ... xml&coll=1

I know he lost two family members in the last few months, (What was it agian, his Grandmother and then his mom or something?) and I know that he and Janet aren't often together (She spends a TON of time in L.A. and he's always on the road what with being the 'Yotes coach), but please.

The only unresolved question for me, is was she proxying bets on Waynes behalf? I'm not sure we'll ever have the answer to that one if there's no wiretap evidence.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/St ... 2-sun.html
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Jan on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:01 am

She placed bets worth $500,000 in recent weeks? I had no idea there was THAT much money involved. Speaking of betting, I'm willing to bet Janet was just calling them in for her husband.
Jan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Interview folks that were with her when the games took place

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:07 am

imiginary conversation between an Investigator and a friend who was present when Janet was watching one of the football games she allegedly bet on:

Was she going crazy? Rooting and screaming? Or was she just casually watching?

Hmmmmmmmmm

:D
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Peter on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:14 am

Gretsky and Tocchet are geniuses! (did I spell that correctly?)

This will have people talking about hockey!
Peter

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:20 am

Peter wrote:Gretsky and Tocchet are geniuses! (did I spell that correctly?)

This will have people talking about hockey!

I wouldn't call them geniuses. This is quite a huge black eye to the sport...

I did hear on FSP last night that Recchi and LeClair have hired a lawyer. Woo Hoo! These Free Agents we signed are the best ones ever!
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pops16 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:30 am

Wonder what will happen to the Golden Boy's image now? You think this will affect it? You think if he was convicted, he will go to jail? I doubt it.
Pops16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:30 am

Kovy27 wrote:I did hear on FSP last night that Recchi and LeClair have hired a lawyer. Woo Hoo! These Free Agents we signed are the best ones ever!

This is actually the outcome I'm half heartedly hoping for. I really don't want to see the sport get tarnished even further. I also don't wish ill will on two men who have given me great pleasure by playing some outstanding hockey over the years, BUT, if this causes both to retire after this year, so much the better.

So that's T-Bo (Career ending Injury), Palffy (retirement - Personal reasons), Mario (Retirement) Recchi and LeClair (if it happens), hhhmmm.

Most all of the fat contract / underperforming 'stars' would be gone.

Now if only we can figure out a way to either get Gonchar to play hockey, or to walk away from his contract as well.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pops16 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:32 am

Recchi and Leclair got lawyers to sue the newspapers who falsely stated that they were involved in the gambling. So, no, they are not going anywhere.
Pops16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:25 am

Pops16 wrote:Recchi and Leclair got lawyers to sue the newspapers who falsely stated that they were involved in the gambling. So, no, they are not going anywhere.

Link please?

No offense, But...

I sincerely doubt they've retained an attorney solely for the purposes of filing a slander or defimation suit so quickly.

The first thing you do in their position is hire an attorney so he can prepare a response in case the feds come knocking at your door.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:29 am

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06040/652640.stm

It's also in the Trib this morning.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:31 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
I sincerely doubt they've retained an attorney solely for the purposes of filing a slander or defimation suit so quickly.

I sincerely doubt the media would be so quick to post a retraction if they had any feeling that they were in the right.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:35 am

Thanks for the link!

That's pretty Dog Gone adamant.

Wow. If they're taking that big of a pre-emptive position and it turns out they're connected.. that would really be something.

I'm betting the players behind the IoC / Pens slots proposal had something to do with how quickly they acted. Those folks can't afford to have any of the current players / staff implicated.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:41 am

Vanbiesbrouck wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

I sincerely doubt the media would be so quick to post a retraction if they had any feeling that they were in the right.

My point isn't whether the media was right or wrong, my point is that the first thing you would want to do if you were Rechhi or LeClair would be to prepare for the 'knock on the door'. Second you'd rattle the news media's cages to warn them that they'd better have hard evidence before publishing or reporting anything regarding your involvement. The Third thing you'd do is file a suit against the media.

I'm just saying you wouldn't do the third step first, thats all.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BCHill on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:50 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Vanbiesbrouck wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

My point isn't whether the media was right or wrong, my point is that the first thing you would want to do if you were Rechhi or LeClair would be to prepare for the 'knock on the door'. Second you'd rattle the news media's cages to warn them that they'd better have hard evidence before publishing or reporting anything regarding your involvement. The Third thing you'd do is file a suit against the media.

I'm just saying you wouldn't do the third step first, thats all.

Not if you know you are completely innocent. You only hire a lawyer to "prepare for the knock on the door" as you put it if you have something to hide. They don't.

Take out your #1, they've done the second, and may not need to take the third step.
BCHill

Postby Jan on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:45 pm

I watched the Recchi-LeClair-lawyer interview after the game. They gave the impression of innocence but so does Gretzky and I don't believe him anymore.

In my opinion, it would be difficult to run an operation that big without your co-workers and best friends knowing about it, even if they didn't participate. It's possible, I guess. But I think there is some lying going on, even among the innocent who didn't actually participate.

As to how much of a black eye this will give the sport, some people don't think gambling is too awful because some types ARE legal. If someone respected like Gretzky is involved it gets a little worse. Now, if it turns out they were betting on hockey it's going to be bad. But it won't kill the sport; even Pete Rose still has tons of supporters.

I personally will lose most of my respect for anyone involved. I guess this is what happens when people have too much money on their hands. What are you going to do after you already have everything a person could want?
Jan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: No real surprise right?

Postby pfim on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:59 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Yeah, That's what I was saying yesterday. There's no way he wouldn't have known when it involved his wife and his best friend.

I know he lost two family members in the last few months, (What was it agian, his Grandmother and then his mom or something?) and I know that he and Janet aren't often together (She spends a TON of time in L.A. and he's always on the road what with being the 'Yotes coach), but please.

The only unresolved question for me, is was she proxying bets on Waynes behalf? I'm not sure we'll ever have the answer to that one if there's no wiretap evidence.

I just don't understand why he would place bets through his wife. It makes no sense when you think about it.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

you can

Postby rasbatch on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:04 pm

I just don't understand why he would place bets through his wife. It makes no sense when you think about it.

stiff her without getting your kneecaps broke
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jan on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:13 pm

PensInAz wrote:
That is so true... You see someone going to arbitration because the team is offerring only four million a year, and the player wants six million and here we all are hoping that we get better than a cost of living increase in our salaries. ;-)

I blame the players union for a lot of that. Pre-lockout the players were under a lot of pressure to keep salaries high. You know, if Jagr is worth $10,000,000, then even a first-year player should be earning more than a couple hundred thousand.
Jan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jan on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:15 pm

The only reason Gretzky would use his wife is to keep himself clean. That, more than the gambling itself, is what would bother me.
Jan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pfim on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:21 pm

Jan wrote:The only reason Gretzky would use his wife is to keep himself clean. That, more than the gambling itself, is what would bother me.

How is he "clean." I don't know the guy at all, but he'd have to be some kind of lowlife to do that, and your wife would have to be a complete moron. I don't think either is the case in this situation. And if it can be proven, they'd both go down.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dboss on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:27 pm

pfim wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Yeah, That's what I was saying yesterday. There's no way he wouldn't have known when it involved his wife and his best friend.

Gretzky isn't stupid. He knows this would soil his reputation if he was caught gambling on sports. COME ON, do you REALLY see Janet Jones-Gretzky caring what happens in football, etc. and wanting to bet on it! This was all Gretzky and he kept an arms length relationship through his wife. The only problem is that he never expected the Feds to get involved and have wiretaps set-up where he was recorded speaking about the gambling. Believe me, Gretzky learned from Jordan that you need to keep your name out of sports betting when you are involved in sports.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:29 pm

dboss wrote: Gretzky isn't stupid. He knows this would soil his reputation if he was caught gambling on sports. COME ON, do you REALLY see Janet Jones-Gretzky caring what happens in football, etc. and wanting to bet on it! This was all Gretzky and he kept an arms length relationship through his wife. The only problem is that he never expected the Feds to get involved and have wiretaps set-up where he was recorded speaking about the gambling. Believe me, Gretzky learned from Jordan that you need to keep your name out of sports betting when you are involved in sports.

If he thinks he can place bets through his wife to his assistant coach and not have his reputation "soiled," he is stupid. Which is why I question it.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:58 pm

pfim wrote:
If he thinks he can place bets through his wife to his assistant coach and not have his reputation "soiled," he is stupid. Which is why I question it.

Without wiretaps, They'd never have a case against HIM.

If Janet is found to have placed bets, she's guilty of placing bets illeagally, no biggie, that's a slap on the wrist. If it's found that Gretz placed bets, now he's in the same boat as Pete Rose, a much bigger issue.

As I said earlier, without wiretaps, she gets a slap on the wrist and he's only guilty by association. With wiretaps, he's the Pete Rose of baseball.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:41 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
pfim wrote:

Without wiretaps, They'd never have a case against HIM.

If Janet is found to have placed bets, she's guilty of placing bets illeagally, no biggie, that's a slap on the wrist. If it's found that Gretz placed bets, now he's in the same boat as Pete Rose, a much bigger issue.

As I said earlier, without wiretaps, she gets a slap on the wrist and he's only guilty by association. With wiretaps, he's the Pete Rose of baseball.

This isn't even close to a Pete Rose situation. If he placed the bets, he'd be in the same boat as the other 11 NHL associates/players.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins