Gretzky KNEW!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: No real surprise right?

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:50 pm

pfim wrote:
This isn't even close to a Pete Rose situation. If he placed the bets, he'd be in the same boat as the other 11 NHL associates/players.

With all due respect pfim... how would this be any different? "IF HE PLACED THE BETS"???

Rose bet on sports
Gretz would have bet on sports
Rose was a baseball manager
Gretz was a hockey head coach

ALL OF THIS IS ASSUMING GRETZ WAS FOUND TO HAVE BET ON SPORTS
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Jamie on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:53 pm

pfim wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
pfim wrote:
If he thinks he can place bets through his wife to his assistant coach and not have his reputation "soiled," he is stupid. Which is why I question it.

Without wiretaps, They'd never have a case against HIM.

If Janet is found to have placed bets, she's guilty of placing bets illeagally, no biggie, that's a slap on the wrist. If it's found that Gretz placed bets, now he's in the same boat as Pete Rose, a much bigger issue.

As I said earlier, without wiretaps, she gets a slap on the wrist and he's only guilty by association. With wiretaps, he's the Pete Rose of baseball.

This isn't even close to a Pete Rose situation. If he placed the bets, he'd be in the same boat as the other 11 NHL associates/players.

There is a difference, Gretz is ALREADY in the hall of fame. Rose never made it to the hall. I highly doubt that the NHL would ever remove 99 from the hall of fame.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:55 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
pfim wrote:

With all due respect pfim... how would this be any different? "IF HE PLACED THE BETS"???

Rose bet on sports
Gretz would have bet on sports
Rose was a baseball manager
Gretz was a hockey head coach

ALL OF THIS IS ASSUMING GRETZ WAS FOUND TO HAVE BET ON SPORTS

Rose bet on baseball. Reports are that if Gretzky did make the bets, he did not bet on hockey. There is an ENORMOUS difference. Rose would probably be in the HOF if he admitted it and apologized, but that would render him insignificant.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:56 pm

Jamie wrote:There is a difference, Gretz is ALREADY in the hall of fame. Rose never made it to the hall. I highly doubt that the NHL would ever remove 99 from the hall of fame.

That much is true. Had Rose already been in the HoF, I doubt MLB would have taken him out either.

Other than that, the situations are identical.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:59 pm

pfim wrote:
Rose bet on baseball. Reports are that if Gretzky did make the bets, he did not bet on hockey. There is an ENORMOUS difference. Rose would probably be in the HOF if he admitted it and apologized, but that would render him insignificant.

Go back and read the history. Rose never admitted to, and was never accused by MLB of betting on Baseball before his banishment.

Rose only admitted to betting on baseball recently.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:19 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
pfim wrote:

Go back and read the history. Rose never admitted to, and was never accused by MLB of betting on Baseball before his banishment.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/p_rosea.shtml

The only reason he was not accused of betting on baseball games by MLB is that he agreed to a voluntary banishment.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:08 pm

Just a quick personal note from me on this......

I find it absolutely dispicable the manner in which Gretzky is disavowing himself from his wife here. He's being more stand-up in his comments about Tocchet than he is about Janet Jones. It's almost as if he can't t throw her under the bus wheels fast enough.

About Tocchet: We're all innocent until proven guilty.

About Mrs Gretzky: Hey she's her own person. Don't ask me anything about it.

Shameful.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Michael Barnett...the owner who place a bet

Postby penny lane on Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:08 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=154230&hubname=

so says the Arizona Republic

friends & I just speculating that maybe Recchi was confused
with Ricci...Mike . I believe with phoenix.
All innocent until not. :P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:54 pm

pfim wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
pfim wrote:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/p_rosea.shtml

The only reason he was not accused of betting on baseball games by MLB is that he agreed to a voluntary banishment.

So one more time... other than the fact that Gretz is already in the HoF, how is his case different than Roses?

Both were icons of their respective sports, neither was convicted (or in Gretz's case - will be convicted) of gambling by lawful authorities. Each of them was Head coach / Manager in the respective leagues when the allegations boke. Each is acused of Proxing their bets through other people.

Looks like Deja Vu all over again
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:33 pm

I was watching college hoops on ESPN just now and they had a little sportscenter break and they said that there are reports of Gretzky discussing with Tocchet on the whole gambling ring and they were recorded via wire tap.

The plot thickens...
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:51 pm

skullman80 wrote:I was watching college hoops on ESPN just now and they had a little sportscenter break and they said that there are reports of Gretzky discussing with Tocchet on the whole gambling ring and they were recorded via wire tap.

The plot thickens...

Yeah, I heard some stuff on that too, but it was pretty innocuous. They said he was just asking how he could keep Janet from being implicated, so it was definately after they knew they'd been 'had'. If that's all the news there is, it doesn't prove he knew what was going on while the operation was in full swing. (although I believe he did)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ushockeyteam1980 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:14 pm

Even though they supposedly weren't betting on hockey, unless they're not paying taxes on it, I don't think they're breaking the law. That's what my dad told me anyways. I'm just really mad about this because the NHL had gotten a bad name cause of the lockout, and they were rebuilding, trying to make it "all better" again, and then this happens. It totally screws them over. And with Recchi and LeClair being accused, that just makes my day. I don't think they were involved, but, you never know. With how Recchi was denying it, I don't think he was involved. But, *knock on wood*, I could be wrong.
ushockeyteam1980

Postby NJ5934 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:58 pm

Gretz is a bit more involved than most know at this point. It's a sad day for hockey.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:08 pm

So one more time... other than the fact that Gretz is already in the HoF, how is his case different than Roses?

Both were icons of their respective sports, neither was convicted (or in Gretz's case - will be convicted) of gambling by lawful authorities. Each of them was Head coach / Manager in the respective leagues when the allegations boke. Each is acused of Proxing their bets through other people.

Umm, who is accusing Gretzky of placing bets through others?

After the Dowd report was released, did you really think that Pete Rose did not bet on baseball? Would any reasonable person? I can't believe this is even a point of contention. The man bet on baseball, MLB knew, but did not suspend him based on that because Rose refused to face the accusation after MLB gave him two opportunities. Instead, he voluntarily banished himself rather than facing the overwhelming evidence against him. In exchange, MLB said they would not persue the matter further, would not make a ruling one way or the other. Despite this, just a few days later, Bart Giamatti said he believed that Pete Rose bet on baseball.

This isn't even close to a Pete Rose situation, despite what talk show people want to say to get ratings. Pete Rose bet on baseball. Pete Rose bet on the Reds. Just because he never admitted it or MLB is prohibited from saying so does not make the evidence disappear.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins