Could Detroit make a good trading partner?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Could Detroit make a good trading partner?

Postby Pitts on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:38 pm

From Spector's soapbox section...

Jiri Hudler, LW/RW, Red Wings
Hudler is one of the top scorers in the AHL this season, but doesn't have much of a future in Detroit. That's because the team is loaded up front, and has other players waiting in the wings. His value is high, so a trade is plausible right now.

I agree. Much was expected of Hudler but he's having trouble cracking a deep Detroit roster. GM Ken Holland suggested earlier this season he was seeking blueline depth, and Hudler could be potential trade bait to accomplish that.

http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/default.html

Seeking defensive depth, eh? Anyone have thoughts on Hudler as an acquisition?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Nope

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:46 pm

One, Hudler is an offensive center, and they have no need in this area. Unless he can play wing...

Two, the Wings would not trade Hudler for any of the Pens' dmen except maybe Gonchar. And they have no cap room for Gonchar.

So I don't see this as being likely.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:46 pm

Hudler is kinda small-like 5'9". But he supposedly has near, world-class skills. We should definitely inquire what the cost would be.
Then we should trade Malone, 2nd and 3rd to Ottawa for Havlat and a young d. :)
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:50 pm

Hudler is playing LW in Grand Rapids and can play all 3 forward positions.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Nope

Postby Pitts on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:52 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:One, Hudler is an offensive center, and they have no need in this area. Unless he can play wing...

That mention has him listed as a winger. Detroit seems to find the offensive gems. To me, "defensive depth" does not mean Gonchar. It means Jackman/Odelien/Cross/Cairns/etc. and a pick or two.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:54 pm

I criticized the Pens for drafting Nemec over Hudler after we already had Orpik, Whitney, Welch, Scuderi, Drew Fata, Rouleau, Malenkykh, Lupaschuk, and Ference already. At that time, who were our most promissing goal scorers drafted? Surovy and that's about it.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:01 pm

Maybe someone who sees him more regularly could comment, but when I saw him at the AHL all star game, he looked big. And no, that's not a compliment.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Nope

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:01 pm

Pitts wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:One, Hudler is an offensive center, and they have no need in this area. Unless he can play wing...

That mention has him listed as a winger. Detroit seems to find the offensive gems. To me, "defensive depth" does not mean Gonchar. It means Jackman/Odelien/Cross/Cairns/etc. and a pick or two.

Good, if he can play wing, then I like him more. But you'd have to give up a helluva lot more than any of those scrubs for a top prospect like Hudler. They'd want our second-rounder thrown in, is my guess. But the way this team drafts, why not do that?
Last edited by Mad City Mike on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:03 pm

I'd be up for making the 2nd available for scoring help NOW. They need to be more successful next season right from the start. That means increasing offense.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:03 pm

[quote="DelPen"]I criticized the Pens for drafting Nemec over Hudler after we already had Orpik, Whitney, Welch, Scuderi, Drew Fata, Rouleau, Malenkykh, Lupaschuk, and Ference already. At that time, who were our most promissing goal scorers drafted? Surovy and that's about it.[/quote]

This is true. I remember that day. There were a few of us calling for Hudler when he was dropping, dropping,...... All because of his size. But Del was the most vocal.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MrKnowNothing on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:25 pm

I also remember that day.

Hudler would make an excellent aquisition right now, but I'm not sure what we have that Detroit might find useful.
MrKnowNothing

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins