Letter to KDKA

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Letter to KDKA

Postby Stoosh on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:41 pm

In light of Marty Griffin's insulting performance on KDKA this morning, I've forwarded the following letter to the station (I apologize in advance for the wordiness of the letter...it's just that this is a complicated issue to me, and the more people understand about this, the better. No one's got a gun to your head forcing you to read it.)

Mr. Griffin,

I was entirely appalled by the lack of professionalism that both you and Mr. Onorato exhibited on your show this morning in the face of what sounded to me like very legitimate questions regarding the arena issue.

I am a 30-year old transplant from the northwestern area of the state who has recently decided to make his home and begin a family in the southwestern Pennsylvania area. As such, I have a significant interest in the decisions made regarding the economic viability of the area, as these decisions will affect not only the rest of my own life, but those of my children as well.

In my time as a resident of this area, I've spent a lot of time and money frequenting the restaurant and entertainment establishments in the downtown areas, Strip district, South Side and Station Square. I also consider myself to be a strong fan of the three local professional sports teams, as well as a supporter of University of Pittsburgh athletics. I attend close to 20 Pirate games a season, but the team which has my strongest allegiance is the Penguins. In light of the issues currently facing the city and the future of the hockey team, I have a very significant interest in the process that will award the slots license.

Whatever your personal feelings about the hockey team may be and whether you or Mr. Onorato ever wishes to admit it, the new arena is in fact a hot-button issue for many, many people in the southwestern Pennsylvania area. Judging by the demographics that I observe in the crowds at Mellon Arena during Pens' games, Mr. Griffin, most of these people are members of my generation. These are younger residents of the area who are just beginning to accumulate the disposable income that can be spent on entertainment in the area. These are the new generations of Pittsburgh - residents who will factor very prominently into the area's revenue streams.

That being the case, I found your responses to the discussion on the arena today absolutely insulting to the intelligence of the residents of this area who consider this to be an important issue. Had these responses come in the face of ridiculous or nonsensical questions, it would be one thing. But to ridicule the interests of these people by mockingly asking Mr. Onorato to start a "Let's Go Pens" cheer? That's bush league at best, sir. Perhaps you gravely underestimate the intelligence of the people who are concerned about this issue. Or perhaps you believe that because this just involves a hockey team that is playing poorly right now, or one that you clearly do not give a damn about, it's a non-issue and therefore unworthy of your time.

That's funny. The Pens play to almost 94% capacity according to attendance figures from ESPN.com. That means I can go down to Mellon Arena 41 nights a year and find about 16,100 people who DO consider it to be an issue. Over an entire season, that's 660,000 people that give a damn. That's 660,000 people who show up to support the team no matter how poorly they are playing. Based on US Census estimates for 2004, that's about half the population of Allegheny County.

I don't believe that anyone out there will argue with you that there are other important issues facing our area than a new arena and the subsequent future of our hockey team. These problems, though, will still exist with or without a new arena, and they do not diminish the impact that a new arena could have on the city. And this goes beyond the new arena. A lot of the people interested in the slots license process see the Isle of Capri plan as a catalyst for a revitalization of the downtown and uptown/Hill District areas. And I don't believe anyone will argue that this revitalization is just as important, if not more important than a new arena. And this also says nothing of the potential $50-100 million dollar hole that the departure of the Pens will leave in the revenue streams of the city. So this goes far beyond a hockey team, sir.

I understand that it's just a hockey team, Mr. Griffin and that "we have other things to talk about." But I found your dismissals of these legitimate questions to be nothing short of hypocritical in light of the fact that the very network you represent played a significant part in the oversaturation of Steelers coverage these last few weeks. Your dismissals were equally hypocritical in light of your network's incessant chest-thumping over said saturated coverage of the local professional football team.

Just because you don't see the arena as a legitimate issue does not mean that it's not, Mr. Griffin. If neither you nor Mr. Onorato chooses to address these interests with the degrees of fairness and professionalism that we expect of our media outlets and public figures, perhaps you each should seek new lines of employment. You know what they say about not being able to stand the heat.

Thank you for your time,

C. J. Jiuliante
cjstoosh@hotmail.com
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RW on Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:34 pm

Nice letter, Stoosh. I applaud all of the effort you have put into the Pens' cause.
RW

Postby td_ice on Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:51 pm

Stoosh, absolutely outstanding letter.

I think he will respect that big time, and hopefully appreciate its content.

The one guy that implored Griffin to let DO speak for himself, commented in exceptionally articulate form on the issue, was then complimented by both Griffin and Onorato at the end of his call.

Even though both did not agree with the premise of the call and all of its points.

Whether that was for the benefit of the listening public or not, since they were left with nothing more than rhetoric as an answer, I don't know.

Perhaps in email form, his response will be less than appreciative.

Good job Stoosh.
Last edited by td_ice on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
td_ice
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby td_ice on Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:00 pm

Griffin's bias is so strong, that it is a shame.

I have heard him in the past speak on this issue, and I can tell you where he is coming from.

He is coming from "I ain't going to listen to no professional athelete, turned owner, threaten to take his toys away, and expect us to bow down to the almighty Mario Lemieux."

That was a capsulated statement of where Griffin is coming from.

I have heard him say basically the above. And he is carrying his torch in subtle and not so subtle ways in that direction.

He fancies himself the "champion of the little people". He calls his himself "THE REAL DEAL."

He is a grandstanding "cause" guy.

Apparently in some way, he sees this as a BULLY, being Mario, trying to cry and get his way.

So he is being David, to Mario's Goliath.

Whatever Marty.

Just a shame that he has such a platform.

But it was great to see so many people call him out on it. jmo
td_ice
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby dboss on Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:38 pm

Great Letter!! Marty has no business being on the air. Its only a matter of time until KDKA cans him anyways.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:43 pm

Nice job stoosh. When you get the canned reply back, let us all know. :wink:

Is Marty Griffin related to Peter Griffin? :shock:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jamie on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:21 pm

Wow Stoosh. All I can say is wow. What a very well thought, tasteful letter that gets the point across, without being overly aggressive or confrontational. I applaud you. 8)
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Letter to KDKA

Postby NIN on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:49 pm

[quote="
That's funny. The Pens play to almost 94% capacity according to attendance figures from ESPN.com. That means I can go down to Mellon Arena 41 nights a year and find about 16,100 people who DO consider it to be an issue. Over an entire season, that's 660,000 people that give a damn. That's 660,000 people who show up to support the team no matter how poorly they are playing. Based on US Census estimates for 2004, that's about half the population of Allegheny County.
[/quote]

I think you made your point but this statemnt is alittle over the top. Im sure it's closer to about half of that figure but it is eye catching. I don't have any facts but I guesstimate that about 8,000 of those seats are season ticket holders. The difference is still a very significant amount of very interested voters. I just thought that you kind of took some credibility from yourself away.

I commend you for taking the time and effort to fight for what is right and im following the good example your setting, not Maddens.
NIN

Postby Judy on Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:21 am

Great letter Stoosh!!!
Judy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:22 am

Excellent work. It's a shame it will probably either get ignored or at best a form letter response. Let us know what comes of it....
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:43 am

Mr. Griffin's response...

"Hey buddy...
Its called talk radio...im sorry I didn't take you position...that of a
zealot.
I truly didn't take a side though.
If that's what it takes for you to be appalled...imp a little worried
for you.
I am from here...I love the pens...I want them here.
That's that.
Thanks for the e-mail.
Truly well thought out"

And that's exactly how it was typed.

A few things...

1. I don't have any problem with his response other than this - don't dismiss is it with this "it's just talk radio" notion. It's like any other piece of journalism. KDKA is a major media outlet, both via radio and television. You need to be responsible about it because it can make the wrong impresson on a lot of people.

2. Personally, I think "zealot" is a strong term, but those are Mr. Griffin's words and not mine. For my own selfish reasons, I like the IoC plan because it guarantees that my favorite hockey team stays in my own backyard. That way, I can take my kids to see Crosby one day. But I like this plan for a lot more reasons that that as well. Back during the days of my failed law school experiment, I spent a lot of time downtown and I would love to see that area revitatlized. I worked for a while at PNC Bank's branch in the Hill District and I can't even begin to imagine what an economic redevelopment could mean for that area. I hope people understand that this goes much, much deeper than keeping a hockey team here. I thought I did a good job of explaining that.

Nevertheless, if the position I outlined in my letter makes me a zealot, then I'll gladly accept the role. Now just give me an Isle of Capri flag to wave.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:57 am

NIN,

Here's where I got the attendance figures...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2006

I figure some 8,000 to 10,000 of those are probably season ticket holders and stuff, so you're definitely getting some repeat customers. That's the case with the Steelers and Pirates as well. And I'm sure they announce paid attendance and not actual attendance each night.

I mostly cited the figures to dispel this idea that no one cares about the Pens. I remember listening to Paul Alexander praise the fact over and over again that the Pirates drew 1.8 million people to the park last year. Over and over he said what a monumental number that was for that team given the way they played last season.

It sure was. But what Paul forgot to mention was that 1.8 million people over a baseball season is 60% capacity at PNC Park. That means on average, two of every five seats in that place went empty last year.

And this was considered to be a rip-roaring success??

So how can people say that no one cares about the Pens? They don't draw the sheer volume that the Pirates do, but that's because there are like twice as many seats and twice as many games played at PNC Park. If the Pirates drew like the Pens did, there'd be 35,000 or 36,000 people a night going to the ballpark.

I was basically using that variation of the same analysis Alexander was using on his show.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jerez on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:23 am

Excellent letter, Stoosh. Very well written, calm, and you showed your obvious intellectual superiority over those you were responding to. (Although, let's be honest, that might even push them away from your position -- they hate to be seen as part of the 90%.)

Thanks for doing what many of us can't do. If I still lived in western Pennsylvania, I'd join you and write and write and write until my fingers bleed.

So, the rest of you back home, take up the pen and/or the keyboard, and let your views be known. Even if you aren't as eloquent as Stoosh has been here, just be honest. Speak from the heart, tell the facts, let them know that people care, and -- most important of all -- they will be held accountable.

Viva la revolucion!
Jerez
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby td_ice on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:28 am

Stoosh wrote:Mr. Griffin's response...

"Hey buddy...
zealot.
for you.
That's that.
Thanks for the e-mail.
Truly well thought out"

A few things...

1. I don't have any problem with his response other than this - don't dismiss is it with this "it's just talk radio" notion. It's like any other piece of journalism. KDKA is a major media outlet, both via radio and television. You need to be responsible about it because it can make the wrong impresson on a lot of people.

2. Personally, I think "zealot" is a strong term, but those are Mr. Griffin's words and not mine. For my own selfish reasons, I like the IoC plan because it guarantees that my favorite hockey team stays in my own backyard. That way, I can take my kids to see Crosby one day. But I like this plan for a lot more reasons that that as well. Back during the days of my failed law school experiment, I spent a lot of time downtown and I would love to see that area revitatlized. I worked for a while at PNC Bank's branch in the Hill District and I can't even begin to imagine what an economic redevelopment could mean for that area. I hope people understand that this goes much, much deeper than keeping a hockey team here. I thought I did a good job of explaining that.

Nevertheless, if the position I outlined in my letter makes me a zealot, then I'll gladly accept the role. Now just give me an Isle of Capri flag to wave.

You should have known your extremely well written, well addressed letter, would be answered in stellar fashion, when the first two words are,

"Hey buddy....."

Beautiful.
Last edited by td_ice on Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
td_ice
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Ginger on Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:10 am

Hey Buddy; great email & greater attempt to be heard. When I wrote the station a couple of years ago re: balanced reporting (instead of 80% Stillers, 10% Pirates & 5% Pens) they wrote me back saying simply, "You'd feel so much differently if you were a Steelers fan....?" Jeezuz-gawd! Talk about missing the point! :roll:
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bill from turtle creek on Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:22 am

Looks like Mr. Griffin has been involved in libel suits down in Texas. Unclear what the details are, though. There are 3 of them listed here, and it looks like they involve a few of the Dallas Cowboys. I guess we are not the only people he's pissed off.

http://www.jw.com/site/jsp/practiceinfo ... 2&matter=1

Search for "Griffin".
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Marshall Dylan on Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:49 pm

td_ice wrote:
Stoosh wrote:Mr. Griffin's response...

"Hey buddy...
zealot.
for you.
That's that.
Thanks for the e-mail.
Truly well thought out"

A few things...

You should have known your extremely well written, well addressed letter, would be answered in stellar fashion, when the first two words are,

"Hey buddy....."

Beautiful.

Terrible form. It should have been, "Hey, numbnuts."
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mercutio on Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:16 pm

I havent posted in a long time but i read daily.
I am a minister at Pitt and my understanding of the word
Zealot as it pretains to Biblical times is an insult. A massive one. For a zealot would kill you for disagreeing. Your letter was respectful and insightful not threatening in any way.
His response was so poor i think i would rather had him not write anything at all.
It seems to me that if this man cares about the Pens than he should have expressed his view points better in his response.
Mercutio
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby td_ice on Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:36 pm

Mercutio wrote:I havent posted in a long time but i read daily.
I am a minister at Pitt and my understanding of the word
Zealot as it pretains to Biblical times is an insult. A massive one. For a zealot would kill you for disagreeing. Your letter was respectful and insightful not threatening in any way.
His response was so poor i think i would rather had him not write anything at all.
It seems to me that if this man cares about the Pens than he should have expressed his view points better in his response.

It is one thing to say in private emails, "hey, I support the Pen's", but then dismiss the Pen's and their proposals on the air, with a large audience is quite another.

But that is his perogative. I don't like it, but he has the mike.
td_ice
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins