List of players that wore As for the Pens (in progress)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: List of players that wore As for the Pens (in progress)

Postby Rocco on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:51 am

Guinness wrote:That move by Morozov, when he flashed the logo, is legendary. I don't care what Draftnik or anyone says. Alexei Morozov will always be a Pittsburgh Penguin to me.

He didn't play for anyone else in the NHL, so there aren't any other options.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:11 am

redwill wrote:What is the idea behind not having any player wear the C when the normal captain is out (even for a game or two)?

Sewing expenses?

I liked that Trottier got it when Lemieux was out. It shows that there are leaders on the team in addition to the current captain. I would think that it boosts morale.

Respect, I think. Crosby is the Penguins unquestioned leader whether he's in uniform or not. Putting the "C" on another jersey could be viewed as a sign of disrespect, though I doubt Crosby would be the type to care about something like that.

Another reason is that there is no reason to name a temporary captain when one is hurt. Alternate captains can argue with the referees and participate in discussions, as well, so rather than replacing the captain, why not add another alternate captain?

It has zero to do with sewing expenses, as there generally is a third alternate, as I mentioned above.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby redwill on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:36 am

Defence21 wrote:Respect, I think. Crosby is the Penguins unquestioned leader whether he's in uniform or not. Putting the "C" on another jersey could be viewed as a sign of disrespect, though I doubt Crosby would be the type to care about something like that.

Another reason is that there is no reason to name a temporary captain when one is hurt. Alternate captains can argue with the referees and participate in discussions, as well, so rather than replacing the captain, why not add another alternate captain?

It has zero to do with sewing expenses, as there generally is a third alternate, as I mentioned above.

I know it doesn't really have anything to do with sewing expenses. I was just being silly with that.

But the way I see it is that there is indeed no debate that Crosby is the unquestioned leader of the Pens. I can't understand any possible interpretation that suggests putting the C on another player would disrespect Crosby. Rather, I see it as giving respect to a player in addition to Crosby. When Trottier wore the C, no one thought it was disrespectful to Lemieux, but rather it was giving additional respect to Trottier (not that he needed any more). In my mind, giving the C to Orpik or Malkin when Crosby is out would be a similar thing.

Anyway, it's no big thing. I just see it as a way to share the love.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:14 am

Lt. Dish wrote:Yes, Morozov wore the A in the 2003-04 season. Draftnik's reminder sent me to this:

I can't help watching this every so often, and I struggle to fight back tears every blessed time.

That isn't the team official one they made I don't think. I can't find it right now, but I think the official one had Switchfoot - Dare you to Move and it has a better angle of the Morozov logo flash. Someone have a link?
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:37 pm

I miss Morozov.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:42 pm

redwill wrote:What is the idea behind not having any player wear the C when the normal captain is out (even for a game or two)?

Sewing expenses?

I liked that Trottier got it when Lemieux was out. It shows that there are leaders on the team in addition to the current captain. I would think that it boosts morale.

In and around that timeframe, Loney also wore the "C" for awhile. Errey might have had it on a time or two as well, my memory fails me.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:49 pm

Guinness wrote:That move by Morozov, when he flashed the logo, is legendary. I don't care what Draftnik or anyone says. Alexei Morozov will always be a Pittsburgh Penguin to me.

Ditto, digging up dirt on a former teammate is easy. Barbaby's list would be HUGE.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby relantel on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:29 am

I posted this in the magic number thread - Straka wearing the C... sometime in the 1999-2000 season. Jagr missed a bunch of time that season, so there's a fair number of games it could have been.

(From this article - doesn't identify which game photo is from but appears to be 99-00 season: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=632737
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:26 pm

Rylan wrote:I miss Morozov.

Winger for Malkin?
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JS© on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:53 pm

Gary Roberts

Based on the name of the pic, I'm gonna say that's from May 7, 2008.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Wed May 29, 2013 10:58 am

Not made much progress here lately. Was able to confirm that Ab McDonald dressed every game of the inaugural season, so there were no fill-in Captains that year, and that Orest Kindrachuk only dressed 13 games the last year he was named captain (80-81), so curious to know if Randy Carlyle was named captain in the 1981 portion of that season or the following summer. (Pens show him as 81-84, presumably ending when he was traded to Winnipeg that last Spring)
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Wed May 29, 2013 11:42 am

Can't believe what we are resorting to for Penguin info with this layoff. Can't someone come up with something a little meatier than assitant captians??
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby America on Wed May 29, 2013 11:44 am

no name wrote:Can't believe what we are resorting to for Penguin info with this layoff. Can't someone come up with something a little meatier than assitant captians??

Yeah go for it
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Wed May 29, 2013 11:45 am

no name wrote:Can't believe what we are resorting to for Penguin info with this layoff. Can't someone come up with something a little meatier than assitant captians??

How bout why Geno can't grow facial hair? Lazy Russian.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby relantel on Wed May 29, 2013 11:58 am

well my current projects beyond the C's & A's are GWG/GTG game by game back to the beginning (compiled from Press/PG boxscores mostly) as the NHL.com published stats are close on GWG but almost nonexistent on GTGs (last goal scored in a tie game by the team that tied it). I've also been filling in the dates for shorthanded goals scored, since earlier than 1987-88 are hard to come by without boxscores. Hence, the useless trivia thread.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins