Crosby Skates

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:58 am

offsides wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
Rylan wrote:Sid might re-concuss himself just to avoid playing with TK and Cooke. :pop:


Cooke can be a goal scorer.


Seriously?


He has a dozen goals this season...he's shown, especially on a couple of those short-handed breakaways, that he has better hands than people realize.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 55,829
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby tfrizz on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:04 am

WHITEY1 wrote:With the possability of being concussed again will Sid possibly wear the "new" helmet that is supposed to help with the concussion issue? Would say a lot that he is trying to completely rid himself of all issues be it neck or concussion.


Except that studies show that helmets have very little impact when it comes to dealing with concussions. They help prevent cracking your head open, but they don't prevent your brain rattling around your skull when you get hit.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,137
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby tfrizz on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:05 am

@Brian_Metzer wrote:Kick off your morning with a healthy dose of #CrosbyChant. Better than coffee today #Pens tweeps... fromthepoint.com/wp-content/upl…


Crosby Chant
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,137
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:23 am

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/03/13/the-phillips-file-crosbys-return-to-ice-proceed-with-caution/

There was good news regarding Sidney Crosby’s return to competitive hockey on Tuesday when the kid said after practice that he would return to action this Thursday against the New York Rangers. For Crosby, it’s been a very bizarre past 14+ months of not playing, diagnosing, recovery, return and subsequent reversal of fortune with the concussion like symptoms he’s suffered through. I am rooting for him to do well in his return. I just don’t think his return will last long. If time has proven anything it’s that the Stanley Cup Playoffs are by far the most grueling, rugged post-season in all of professional sports. It won’t take long for somebody to lay the wood to Crosby. Or perhaps he takes a shot to the head. Its hockey and these things happen. If it happens to Crosby, he’s going to back to square one or perhaps much worse.

If Sidney Crosby never suffers from post-concussion symptoms again, I will march down Grant Street naked, painted bright neon pink, being chased by a hungry pack of Doberman’s while playing Christmas Carols on a bag pipe as I stroke out and expire. I’m certain that both events will never take place
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,568
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby Doogs on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:36 am

Bioshock wrote:time to get tickets for the next home game


I'll take one Bio... :fist:
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,937
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:29 pm
Location: Wexford

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby topshelf on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:45 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
topshelf wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:Totally off topic, but I miss Rock n Roll Part 2 as the goal song. Song 2 is alright but RNR was just the perfect goal song to me, even if it is used by half the league.



:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

THANK YOU! I was upset when I found out they switched it. "Rock and Roll, Part 2" was a staple during the 90's Cup runs. Everytime I hear that song I immediately think of those days.

"Song 2" is garbage. :pop:

Rock and Roll, Part 2 was written and recorded by a convicted pedophile: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Glitter

Very interesting life, wife in Cuba, arrested for sleeping with minors (multiple) in Vietnam (where death by firing squad is the punishment if convicted)...


Yeah, I knew that about Glitter, but I didn't know they used that as the reason to switch the songs around. Still doesn't change my opinion, though. :)

Couldn't the Pens just get someone to cover the song? The Clarks? :wink:
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,591
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Florida

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby pulp22 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:00 am

PensFanInDC wrote:http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/03/13/the-phillips-file-crosbys-return-to-ice-proceed-with-caution/

There was good news regarding Sidney Crosby’s return to competitive hockey on Tuesday when the kid said after practice that he would return to action this Thursday against the New York Rangers. For Crosby, it’s been a very bizarre past 14+ months of not playing, diagnosing, recovery, return and subsequent reversal of fortune with the concussion like symptoms he’s suffered through. I am rooting for him to do well in his return. I just don’t think his return will last long. If time has proven anything it’s that the Stanley Cup Playoffs are by far the most grueling, rugged post-season in all of professional sports. It won’t take long for somebody to lay the wood to Crosby. Or perhaps he takes a shot to the head. Its hockey and these things happen. If it happens to Crosby, he’s going to back to square one or perhaps much worse.

If Sidney Crosby never suffers from post-concussion symptoms again, I will march down Grant Street naked, painted bright neon pink, being chased by a hungry pack of Doberman’s while playing Christmas Carols on a bag pipe as I stroke out and expire. I’m certain that both events will never take place



I keep hearing this from media types. Do they not want him to play ever again? At what point would it be ok for him to play?
pulp22
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:24 pm

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby bh on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:31 am

tfrizz wrote:
WHITEY1 wrote:With the possability of being concussed again will Sid possibly wear the "new" helmet that is supposed to help with the concussion issue? Would say a lot that he is trying to completely rid himself of all issues be it neck or concussion.


Except that studies show that helmets have very little impact when it comes to dealing with concussions. They help prevent cracking your head open, but they don't prevent your brain rattling around your skull when you get hit.

ummmm no

http://mipshelmet.com/home

viewtopic.php?t=56720&p=1951551

Helmets are HUGE in preventing concussions. Get rid of helmets and see how many more you get. They reduce the g force on your brain which slows how much it rattles around your skull when you get hit. You want the helmet to absorb as much energy as possible while lowering the g-force on the brain.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,497
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:48 am

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:50 am

head trauma is not what caused Crosby to miss 14 months.

the problems came from the neck. It's very possible the original 2 weeks mild concussion report the pens put out was correct, but since the pains in his neck were considered to not be of major concern, the idea that it must be a concussion from some blunt force head trauma that was causing continued symptoms just grew out of control.

I think he's been suffering 14 months from a severe whiplash that strained his neck muscles and tendons, allowing his head to slide all around (causing vertigo) and for nerves to be pushed and squeezed (causing headaches).
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,512
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby Pitt87 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:45 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:head trauma is not what caused Crosby to miss 14 months.

the problems came from the neck. It's very possible the original 2 weeks mild concussion report the pens put out was correct, but since the pains in his neck were considered to not be of major concern, the idea that it must be a concussion from some blunt force head trauma that was causing continued symptoms just grew out of control.

I think he's been suffering 14 months from a severe whiplash that strained his neck muscles and tendons, allowing his head to slide all around (causing vertigo) and for nerves to be pushed and squeezed (causing headaches).


I've been thinking this myself... the hits he took are not traditional 'hard stops' that usually cause a concussion. Especially the Hedman hit.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,210
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby bab81 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:48 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:head trauma is not what caused Crosby to miss 14 months.

the problems came from the neck. It's very possible the original 2 weeks mild concussion report the pens put out was correct, but since the pains in his neck were considered to not be of major concern, the idea that it must be a concussion from some blunt force head trauma that was causing continued symptoms just grew out of control.

I think he's been suffering 14 months from a severe whiplash that strained his neck muscles and tendons, allowing his head to slide all around (causing vertigo) and for nerves to be pushed and squeezed (causing headaches).


If we only knew you had the answers for all this time :pop:

you should have at least told crosby, or maybe his doctors?
bab81
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby FanofUlf on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:52 pm

Staggy wrote:
FanofUlf wrote:Sidenote, is it me or has Crosby gained some weight? His face looked not quite but more Kessel-ish.
Odd since he said he felt like he was in better shape.


I noticed that a bit too. Not surprising due to the fact that he has missed more than 100 games and could probably not go to max exertion while weight training or doing cardio work for the better part of the last 14 months.

I'd say he has mild Phil Kessel Syndrome chubbiness, 10 pounds to the face. I hope it goes away, I hate Phil Kessel.
FanofUlf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:25 pm
Location: Land

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby shmenguin on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:14 pm

somethingsomething face meat somethingsomething
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,402
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby powerplaygoal2125 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:46 pm

offsides wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
Rylan wrote:Sid might re-concuss himself just to avoid playing with TK and Cooke. :pop:


Cooke can be a goal scorer.


Seriously?


I could be a goal scorer on Sids line... :fist:
powerplaygoal2125
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:09 pm
Location: Washington,PA

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:09 pm

Hopefully soon "Crosby Skates" will be saying this to LGP for ever

DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,362
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: Squares don't fit in my circle.

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby PhantomJB93 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:29 pm

According to what I just saw on television, I can confirm that Crosby is, indeed, skating. :)
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,442
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:53 pm

For the sake of his health, Crosby should retire immediately.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,027
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:59 pm

PhantomJB93 wrote:According to what I just saw on television, I can confirm that Crosby is, indeed, skating. :)


except when his skate broke.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,669
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby nastystang05 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:35 am

Thats a pretty big assumption there man. The chances of a soft tissue injury keeping someoneout 14 months is very unlikely as most resolve in 6 weeks without treatment. Could he have had stiff and ROM limitations secondary to an injury in past yes. But the vestibular system was involved with his balance impairments and dizziness not the somatosensory system.

DropEmJayBird wrote:head trauma is not what caused Crosby to miss 14 months.

the problems came from the neck. It's very possible the original 2 weeks mild concussion report the pens put out was correct, but since the pains in his neck were considered to not be of major concern, the idea that it must be a concussion from some blunt force head trauma that was causing continued symptoms just grew out of control.

I think he's been suffering 14 months from a severe whiplash that strained his neck muscles and tendons, allowing his head to slide all around (causing vertigo) and for nerves to be pushed and squeezed (causing headaches).
nastystang05
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:41 pm
Location: Doctor of Physical Therapy, Exercise Physiologist

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby columbia on Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:40 am

nastystang05 wrote:Thats a pretty big assumption there man. The chances of a soft tissue injury keeping someoneout 14 months is very unlikely as most resolve in 6 weeks without treatment. Could he have had stiff and ROM limitations secondary to an injury in past yes. But the vestibular system was involved with his balance impairments and dizziness not the somatosensory system.

DropEmJayBird wrote:head trauma is not what caused Crosby to miss 14 months.

the problems came from the neck. It's very possible the original 2 weeks mild concussion report the pens put out was correct, but since the pains in his neck were considered to not be of major concern, the idea that it must be a concussion from some blunt force head trauma that was causing continued symptoms just grew out of control.

I think he's been suffering 14 months from a severe whiplash that strained his neck muscles and tendons, allowing his head to slide all around (causing vertigo) and for nerves to be pushed and squeezed (causing headaches).


Can you translate that for us dummies? :thumb:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,825
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby nastystang05 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:00 am

There are three components to balance. Visual or optic, somatosensory or muscular sensory units, and vestibular or inner ear. Dr. Kerrick stated along with Micky and statements from our organization have stated in past crosby had vestibular peoblems. In that televised interview Ted was talking about "Crosbys grid being off" and he would make it better than before. Thats what he was referring to. Now dont get me wrong cervical strain can cause headaches aka cervogenic headaches and mild dizziness and severe dizziness if impinging one of the vertebral arteries but the symptoms just dont evidence that. But not dizziness while driving orwatching a movie. Those all involve vestibular and ocular components not so much somatosensory.
nastystang05
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:41 pm
Location: Doctor of Physical Therapy, Exercise Physiologist

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby tfrizz on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:07 am

nastystang05 wrote:There are three components to balance. Visual or optic, somatosensory or muscular sensory units, and vestibular or inner ear. Dr. Kerrick stated along with Micky and statements from our organization have stated in past crosby had vestibular peoblems. In that televised interview Ted was talking about "Crosbys grid being off" and he would make it better than before. Thats what he was referring to. Now dont get me wrong cervical strain can cause headaches aka cervogenic headaches and mild dizziness and severe dizziness if impinging one of the vertebral arteries but the symptoms just dont evidence that. But not dizziness while driving orwatching a movie. Those all involve vestibular and ocular components not so much somatosensory.


I guess the real question now is: is it possible for the soft tissue damage to have been from the Steckel and/or Hedman hit(s), or would it have to be something more recent? Basically, is it something that may not have healed because of the continuous stress of Crosby's training/practice regiments?
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,137
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby thepittman on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:27 am

"All sid-stems go"

The NHL.com headlines are hilarious almost every day
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,098
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm
Location: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:22 pm

thepittman wrote:"All sid-stems go"

The NHL.com headlines are hilarious almost every day

:thumb: Though I don't think LGP agrees. :lol:
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,027
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Crosby Skates

Postby DropEmJayBird on Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:11 pm

nastystang05 wrote:There are three components to balance. Visual or optic, somatosensory or muscular sensory units, and vestibular or inner ear. Dr. Kerrick stated along with Micky and statements from our organization have stated in past crosby had vestibular peoblems. In that televised interview Ted was talking about "Crosbys grid being off" and he would make it better than before. Thats what he was referring to. Now dont get me wrong cervical strain can cause headaches aka cervogenic headaches and mild dizziness and severe dizziness if impinging one of the vertebral arteries but the symptoms just dont evidence that. But not dizziness while driving orwatching a movie. Those all involve vestibular and ocular components not so much somatosensory.


That's some good stuff. So the thought is the vestibular issues were causing the dizziness? The only thing I can't figure out - is that Crosby starting having dizziness symptoms after his comeback (after Dr. Kerrick treated him to make the first comeback) , and it's not until the discovery of his neck problems that those dizziness issues have been cured.

Dr Kerrick tried to make Crosby's grid better, but I mean, it wasnt until they treated Crosby's neck tissue until he got better. Unless Dr. Kerrick gave him another run during the recent treatments. In any case - having the grid be better than before has to sound good.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,512
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:38 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

e-mail