Ryan Lenno and Noah Welch defense solution for next year?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Ryan Lenno and Noah Welch defense solution for next year?

Postby FuturePens on Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:25 pm

The other day on ESPN, they were showing the top 10, and the Penguins game was one of the highlights. Of course it was a game we got blown away in, 7:1 vs. the Rangers.
Anyway, one of the announcers said, QUOTE: "This is possibly the worst defense in NHL history." In my opinion, not an overstatement at all!!! Clearly, the Penguins are horrific on defense; NO SHUTOUTS, and only on 3 accations we gave up 1 goal in 56 games?! How pathatic is that? Every time Fluery gets scored on, he skates to the side in disgust. 3.96 goals against a game and nearly 1.5 goals against on power play per game. HOW COULD YOU NOT BE FRUSTUATED, I WOULD BE TOO.
WOW, by the way, those are close to record breaking numbers there...
What do you think the Pens defense ranks all time? Who could we aquire to make it better for next seasons?
How about Ryan Lennon and Noah Welch, they are a great combo, both have played together since grade school! We keep bringing up Offensive guys, how about some defense boys? That would be nice for a change, EJ !
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby td_ice on Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:27 pm

Lennon and Noah Welch as a combo?

Well, Welch is no Paul McCartney.
td_ice
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby netwolf on Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:40 pm

Actually Welch can play both ends of the rink; he is not a strictly defense guy. I don't know much about Lannon's game.

I don't know which SportsCenter anchor said that but beyond Buccigross, they don't have many hockey guys there that I know of. Add that to the fact the those guys as a group are prone to hyperbole, I would not take their comments all that seriously.

The Pens team defense does stink though, but it isn't all about the defensemen; the forwards have blame there as well.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby td_ice on Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:56 pm

hey future pens.

I was totally kidding with the McCartney comment. (believe me not being a spelling Nazi, as I make tons of spelling errors. I become a bit too lazy in this forum to review before submitting.)

Having seen plenty of horrible Pen's D units, this is one of the worst I have seen. (been watching them since '74)

As the coach has pointed out, they are soft for starters. Defensively, not talented. Just a horrific group.

They are definitely, IMO, the worst in the NHL today. Not sure who is even close. They are that bad.
td_ice
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins