Nice Despres article

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Nice Despres article

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:30 am

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=371611

Good kid, I'm really rooting for him to make the team this fall.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Nice Despres article

Postby ffemtreed on Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:26 am

My guess he is the last cut at camp(assuming he plays 1/2 way decent).

A year playing in the AHL getting used to the pro game will do him good.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:35 am

I guess with 7 Dmen signed to one-way-contracts (if I'm not mistaken) he's a long shot to make the team. He'd have to totally outplay Lovejoy, Engel and Nitskanen.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsports87 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:26 am

He won't make the team because of how many d-man we have signed, but seems like a really good kid and should be really good for the Pens in a few years.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:32 am

I think there's a decent chance he makes the team. Niskanen can be traded / sent to the minors if he's getting outplayed.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby owtahear on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:01 pm

Ideally, you see Martin rebound, Niskanen get back to where he is considered a pretty fair puckmoving defenseman and have Despres go down to WB/S and play really well.

This gives Ray some chips to move a Martin perhaps, clear up some cap room, get a young winger...
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:09 pm

owtahear wrote:Ideally, you see Martin rebound, Niskanen get back to where he is considered a pretty fair puckmoving defenseman and have Despres go down to WB/S and play really well.

This gives Ray some chips to move a Martin perhaps, clear up some cap room, get a young winger...

Why would they move martin? Having depth with bottom pairing defensemen does not mean you trade one of your top d. That trade would kill the pens.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:13 pm

I just don't see him being moved to the NHL without doing some time in WBS, i could be wrong but SHero always takes his time with young players. Although its really nice to hear he is comming along.

So what is the write up on him, is he like a powerplay QB type or in a Martin (2 way) mold or like a Scuderi (stay home). I havn't read to much on him.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:55 pm

He's definitely more of a puck mover than Scuds. I think he's more like Martin with a bigger frame, maybe more physical, not that that's saying a lot.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:58 pm

Not saying they are untochables, but I can't see either one of our Top 4 being moved anywhere anytime soon.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dostoevsky on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:58 pm

owtahear wrote:Ideally, you see Martin rebound, Niskanen get back to where he is considered a pretty fair puckmoving defenseman and have Despres go down to WB/S and play really well.

Young Winger - Crosby - Young Winger
Young Winger - Young Winger - Young Winger

Young Winger - Young Winger

Young Winger
Young Winger
Dostoevsky
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meow on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:59 pm

It's laughable that you think Martin needs to rebound.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby upjicecats52 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:09 pm

Classy post Meow... you seem to be right on the money with your comments. Maybe you've played the game before?
upjicecats52

Postby meow on Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:15 pm

Too hot to handle, too cold to hold
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Senka on Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:16 pm

If you were all GMs in this league, my job would be so easy... Some people have thee dumbest ideas. On a side note I'm a despres supporter. I'd love him to crack the NHL but I realize it's a year or two away pending something serious
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby owtahear on Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:18 pm

Well it is what you have, what you need, and what you can give up (trade chip).

Martin is somewhat redundant. And mind you, I am not advocating, but if Despres continues to develop, if Niskanen can be somewhat competent, and you look to believe Letang is in your long range plans (which I believe they do)....well not only is it an embarrassment of riches, but this is how sports works.

Martin is a moveable chip. And he can bring in return more than a Niskanen or a Lovejoy, and also clear up cap space. It is the way the system works. Again, not saying that will happen, or even happen this year, but looking down the road, it is a move that makes alot of sense.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Dostoevsky on Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:23 pm

Meow
Dostoevsky
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:43 pm

How is Martin redundant? Move him and you have three of Niskanen/Lovejoy/Engelland/Despres as regulars. I do not like that prospect. Two of them making up the bottom pairing is fine, but move Martin and all of a sudden the Pens are in need of a player like... well, Martin. Having such an excellent Top 4 is way more important and valuable than another winger. Our offense should be fine.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:21 pm

owtahear wrote:Well it is what you have, what you need, and what you can give up (trade chip).

Martin is somewhat redundant. And mind you, I am not advocating, but if Despres continues to develop, if Niskanen can be somewhat competent, and you look to believe Letang is in your long range plans (which I believe they do)....well not only is it an embarrassment of riches, but this is how sports works.

Martin is a moveable chip. And he can bring in return more than a Niskanen or a Lovejoy, and also clear up cap space. It is the way the system works. Again, not saying that will happen, or even happen this year, but looking down the road, it is a move that makes alot of sense.

Now that the pens defense is good, you want to make it bad? I don't understand. the bottom pairing of any of nisky/eng/lovejoy is already a liability. If you move martin, one of them will be playing in the top 4. That's a recipe for disaster.

I would love for the team to get a young winger, but if the pens plan on being contenders, they shouldn't trade one of their top 4 d. It would be more likely that despres was traded.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Zach6668 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:09 pm

owtahear wrote:Martin is somewhat redundant.

Uhh... that's cool. You need to dress 6 defenseman for every game! I'll take 6 boring, redundant Martins.
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:47 pm

Zach6668 wrote:
owtahear wrote:Martin is somewhat redundant.

Uhh... that's cool. You need to dress 6 defenseman for every game! I'll take 6 boring, redundant Martins.

I agree. He doesn't do anything flashy, but he makes the smart, simple play more often than not.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Geezer on Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:12 pm

Gaucho wrote:http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=371611

Good kid, I'm really rooting for him to make the team this fall.

I think he might be better off getting more minutes at WBS for at least part of the season.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sil on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:02 pm

James Neal. He may just be available.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:57 pm

I could be wrong, but trading a guy 1 year after he signed a 5 year deal as a UFA doesn't strike me as a Ray Shero type of move. It would be one thing if someone approached him with an insane deal (for example, NJ calls and wants him back so bad they offer Parise and Palmieri), but I can't see him shopping Martin around.

I know a lot of players just want to get paid, but a lot of guys are also looking for stability. If Shero starts moving guys that quickly after signing, players will consider that before putting pen to paper.

Also, Martin also has a no-movement clause and a limited no-trade for what its worth.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:02 pm

This reminds me of Field Marshall Walther Model in "A Bridge Too Far":
"Why do all my generals want to destroy my bridges? "

GMRS: "Why do all the fans want to trade Paul Martin?"
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins