Garth Snow's comments on Mario vs. Gretzky

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Garth Snow's comments on Mario vs. Gretzky

Postby Penspal on Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:39 pm

from former Pen Garth Snow....

"Mario was the best ever. Honestly, I have this argument with everyone. If you swapped him with Gretzky, and put Lemieux on that team with Jari Kurri and Glenn Anderson and Mark Messier and Paul Coffey, he'd be the one with all those records. Can you imagine him on that team?" - Islanders G Garth Snow

found at the bottom of the following article....
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=153472&hubname=
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jimjom on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:01 pm

Next up on "Wings":..who cares.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:25 pm

jimjom wrote:Next up on "Wings":..who cares.

In case you didn't know, this is a hockey message board, and, more specifically a Penguins message board. Last I checked, Lemieux and Gretzky played hockey and Lemieux is/was a Penguin.

A lot of people care about this topic, as it is constantly brought up in hockey conversations. Personally, I am glad that was posted. Its always nice to read little tidbits like that.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Lemiuex

Postby FuturePens on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:27 pm

Lemiuex is the best player to exist. PERIOD.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby fourtKNOX on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:29 pm

agreed with d fence.... stay outs the board if you dont like reading this stuff... it is a PENGUIN board... most here worship mr. lemieux!
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:22 pm

To answer your question, I care. Apparently others do as well, thanks for asking.

Good post PP.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

What we need now are Lemieux's comments RE:

Postby HomerPenguin on Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:26 pm

Garth Snow vs. a traffic cone: which has more mobility?
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:33 pm

Hmmmm.... Shows what you know about hockey, mario spent most of his time as a 'center' not a 'wing'...

Now 'Take off' Joe...

Why don't you and Lowell go back with Roy Biggins to your little love nest
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby NIN on Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:06 pm

Thats the same thing I always say. Also, if Gretzky had Brown and Young to work with he would have put up less points and even team wins then Mario.
NIN

Postby netwolf on Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:52 pm

Mario was the best player to ever lace up a pair of skates. He did things no one else could do.

Gretzky had the best career ever. He put up numbers that no one will likely ever come close to.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rychster on Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:10 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:

Hmmmm.... Shows what you know about hockey, mario spent most of his time as a 'center' not a 'wing'...

Now 'Take off' Joe...

Why don't you and Lowell go back with Roy Biggins to your little love nest

I thought it was pretty funny, myself. People are way too testy around here. I can't blame him for calling out that this subject has been beaten to death more than a dead horse should.

Mario= Most physically talented player ever to play the game!

Gretzky= Most prolific scorer ever to play the game!

End of story.
Rychster
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Stevens25 on Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:20 am

I heard it put this way on a talk show and I think it fits perfectly......Gretzky had the greatest career in hockey,but Mario is the better player. :wink:
Stevens25

Postby Ben Klingston on Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:38 am

I don't care if it is beaten to death or not. This is a great debate, no matter how many times it has been rehashed.

My humble opinion:

'player' = 'career achievement'

'talent' = 'physical ability/skill level'

A great player is one whose achievements are maximized by things under their own control (i.e. skill) as well as things that aren't necessarily under their control (i.e. surrounding teammates, era/style of play, health/longevity).

Wayne Gretzky is greatest player of all time. His skill level combined with great circumstances provide achievements and statistics that are awe-inspiring.

Mario Lemieux is the most talented player of all time. His combination of physical skills (size, speed, hands, vision, leadership) are unmatched by any player in hockey history. However, his circumstances didn't allow his true greatness as a player to ever be fully tested.

Some can say that to a degree, his circumustances were under his control. It is well known that Mario, in his younger days, was anything but a health nut. Smoking. Junk Food. Lack of phyiscal training. None of this could have been good for his physical condition. But things like the playing in the clutch/grab era of the NHL, genetic back problems, and cancer can't really be categorized as things under his control. But in my mind, there is no question that, when healthy, he was the greatest skill and talent to ever play the game.

His career achievements are awesome, but nowhere near what they could have been if he had the same set of circumstances (health and surrounding talent) that Gretzky had. That's the ONLY reason that Mario Lemieux isn't a no-brainer as the greatest player of all time, and Wayne Gretzky is. The fact that most people - fans, players, coaches, etc. - all have the same comment in this debate 'imagine what Mario could have done....' proves, to me, that Mario is the most skilled, talented, player to ever play the game of hockey. Period.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins