Sean Avery could be available..

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Sean Avery could be available..

Postby Defence21 on Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:25 pm

Spectors notes that Sean Avery has been having problems with the Kings head coach, which could lead to a trade. If the price is right, woudl he be worth trading for? Spectors says a 34rd or 4th liner or a 6th defenseman likely would be all it would take.

Melichar and Endicott, maybe? While Endicott sucks right now, a lot could be attributed to his ankle sprain, which supposedly won't heal to 100% until he rests it for an extended period of time. He has proven to be solid at the AHL level and might be an attractive gamble for the Kings. Same goes for Melichar. He hasn't looked great with the Pens, but who has? Put him on a decent team and he could have some potential. See Rozsival, M.

And just one more quick note. Spectors also mentioned that the Islanders might be looking to shop Kvasha, Parrish and/or York. I would be interested to see what the Isles would be looking for in return for York or Parrish. York is pesky and has decent skills. He might make a good 3rd liner with Malone. As for Parrish, I'll admit that I don't know much about him other than that he is relatively good.

This trade deadline could be a good time to pick up a few players who are relatively young and decently talented. Obviously the experiment with playing Leclair and Recchi on the 3rd line did not work. But maybe, if the Pens get actual 3rd liners, they could have a solid checking/scoring third line. Just a thought.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

No, No, No, A Thousand Times NO

Postby Mad City Mike on Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:35 pm

I don't want this ******* anywhere near this team. He is only suited to play on a team with no French Canadians.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:39 pm

Being that I don't have Center Ice or anything, I only see the Pens games. Plus, I generally only read mostly about the Eastern Conference. What's up with him? Judging by your response, MCM, I doubt I'd want to see him now, either.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: No, No, No, A Thousand Times NO

Postby rasbatch on Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:45 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:I don't want this ******* anywhere near this team. He is only suited to play on a team with no French Canadians.

Yeah well you said the same thing about Odelien and well I guess you were right on that one :shock:
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Sean Avery could be available..

Postby FuturePens on Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:46 pm

Melichar and Endicott, maybe? While Endicott sucks right now, a lot could be attributed to his ankle sprain, which supposedly won't heal to 100% until he rests it for an extended period of time.

They why not scratch him or put him on IR if he's not healthy. I don't think it's ta big loss to sit him down, in fact it's a GAIN!!! He's a terrible player.

Same goes for Melichar. He hasn't looked great with the Pens, but who has?

No, I don't thinks that Melichar is a bad player. He can be way way better, same was for Tanstrom. I hated to see him leave, because he was a good player that just didn't have fun anymore. I don't want another Rita and Cross. I hope that the Pens can just keep Melichar, he's going to be allright if we can let him play more than 2 games in with the same line.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Sean Avery could be available..

Postby Defence21 on Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:00 pm

FuturePens wrote:They why not scratch him or put him on IR if he's not healthy. I don't think it's ta big loss to sit him down, in fact it's a GAIN!!! He's a terrible player.

Because he isn't hurt, hurt. Obviously he can go out there and skate and play hockey. His play is just affected. I'm not saying this is the case for sure. But I remember hearing this in the PPG or Trib just after he came off IR.

Let me ask you this. Why not send him to WBS? Obviously this guy is the favorite of Therrien for some reason. THAT is why he is not on IR or in WBS.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby freq019 on Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:17 pm

PensInAz wrote:I'd also say he is tougher than Cairns or Roy, plus he is a better skater. He scores more than Roy, too. I say, why not? Not like it is going to ruin our playoff chances. ;-) If the Kings want to get rid of him, I think that they are going to have a tough market with his repuation though. I say that we can get him cheaper than Spector thinks. I'm going to say a third or fourth rounder and a prospect.

He's not consider a tough guy, he merely stirs the s**t and then backs away or turtles when he is called to account for his actions. Granted he may be tougher than some of our guys but I would never consider him a tough guy and I don't want him on this team.
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Well...

Postby HomerPenguin on Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:19 pm

Would he bring Elisha Cuthbert to home games? Hey, the season is a lost cause, so every off-ice attraction could be helpful.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Scott on Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:17 pm

Just what the Pens need, someone who takes way too many penalties and has very little talent.

Then again, this group will make it like home for him.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jmh70 on Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:37 pm

Yeah, we should trade for more marginal talent, especially someone who takes countless penalties.
jmh70

Postby Jamie on Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:46 pm

Not sure if I would want Avery. We have good young centers. I would like to see a solid d-man or a goal scoring winger come aboard. That is where we are in the most need of help.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:31 am

I think Avery would be an asset to the Penguins. He is a scrappy 3rd line center who is rock solid in the faceoff department. He is a good penalty killer but he is in the box alot too. He takes alot of liberties out there and the Pens are having trouble with the rules already. He is not well liked around the league and im sure the lockerroom might be tired of his act but still he is an asset.
NIN

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:13 am

I don't see a need for him. I don't see anything in him that Talbot can't develop into, except without the headaches off the ice. Maybe if he was a right-handed shot I'd think differently, but as it is he's not going to make much of a difference on this roster. The Pens are very well-stocked with left-handed centers: Crosby, Malkin, Christensen, Talbot, and now maybe Malone. Center isn't a big issue. A Mike Eastwood-type for the fourth line would be nice.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

trade

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:12 am

Koltsov for Avery if they would accept it....
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Well...

Postby MrKnowNothing on Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:00 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:Would he bring Elisha Cuthbert to home games? Hey, the season is a lost cause, so every off-ice attraction could be helpful.

That's the only reason I'd consider trading for him.
MrKnowNothing

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins