OFFICIAL GDT: Pens vs Caps, 10/13/11

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: Pens vs Caps, 10/13/11

Postby wondermoose on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:10 pm

marek wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:Keep in mind the Pens got a PP out of it because this bum got an instigating penalty.

I thought he got 2mins for roughing letang?

He did. Beagle got the extra two for punching Letang before the fight.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:11 pm

pens#1 wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:Keep in mind the Pens got a PP out of it because this bum got an instigating penalty.

it was a roughing penalty

Then i stand corrected. Couldnt hear the tv too well and was just going by what my friends said. Either way, the second that guy dropped Asham skated away, and did that. Beagle was on the ice for less than 3 seconds when that went on. Its not like Asham stood there, watched him bleed, then made the gesture. His back was to him the entire time. The very second that fight was over he skated directly to the box. It was immediately after he dropped. But guarantee the Pens will be the bad guys cuz "ZOMG they wanted to elimate this stuff becuz of da SIDZ NOW LOOK AT DEM!!"
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:12 pm

"Thoughts" from the game.

Happy to get the point -- Caps have had their number recently. 8 games in 13 days or something ridculous? I'll take any point I can get.

Lovejoy is definitely the #7 right now, which is too bad, as I thought he was coming on last year. Oh well, just means everyone is stepping up their game. :thumb:

Not very solid games from Michalek and Letang. Recently I thought Letang was guilty of too many turnovers in his own zone. He was fine in that regard this game, but his passing in the neutral and offensive zone was not up to the usual level we expect it to be.

I like Sullivan, but he needs to get the puck on the net more. Needs to hit the net more too and is a bit too pass-happy.

I like Staal too, but he's been PP poison so far this season.

Loved seeing Geno live in action again -- it looked like the knee was hardly a problem. Hopefully the swelling is on the down-slope and he'll be in action on Saturday and beyond.

Beej was his usual solid self -- garbage Knuble goal as usual. What are you gonna do?

After seeing the Asham replay, I can't fault the guy. He dropped the guy then skated away immediately. He had no idea Beagle was down for the count -- that's why he felt the need to make the post-game apology.

Oh, and anyone who sat in or around the first couple rows of section 206 was witness to the most absurdly flamboyant and blatantly stupid fan of any opposing team of all time... Seriously. It was .... indescribable.
Last edited by meecrofilm on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:12 pm

wondermoose wrote:
marek wrote:

I thought he got 2mins for roughing letang?

He did. Beagle got the extra two for punching Letang before the fight.

Which is why Asham went after him in the first place.

I noticed a couple of times last year, Beagle was doing this stuff too...Perhaps the Pens noticed as well.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ILikeTurtles on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:16 pm

Sure do love people that get on Neal's side when he now has a real center to play with, had a buddy in February say on facebook, "You think Neal is 'sick'? I beg to differ. He's okay...he's another TK..." Now his facebook says "THIS IS THE JAMES NEAL I KNEW AND LOVED IN DALLAS! GET EM'! WOOOOHOOOO"
:roll:
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby HockeyDaddy on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:19 pm

ILikeTurtles wrote:Sure do love people that get on Neal's side when he now has a real center to play with, had a buddy in February say on facebook, "You think Neal is 'sick'? I beg to differ. He's okay...he's another TK..." Now his facebook says "THIS IS THE JAMES NEAL I KNEW AND LOVED IN DALLAS! GET EM'! WOOOOHOOOO"

I have proudly supported James Neal since his first game as a Pen. His game is perfect for the Pens style. Even when he wasn't scoring goals last year, he was creating great opportunities for himself and line mates. He is also a great back checker. The Pens have the best group of wingers that they have had in a long time.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:19 pm

Yeah it is amazing what Neal and Kunitz can do when they are with Malkin and Sid haha.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ILikeTurtles on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:28 pm

HockeyDaddy wrote:
ILikeTurtles wrote:Sure do love people that get on Neal's side when he now has a real center to play with, had a buddy in February say on facebook, "You think Neal is 'sick'? I beg to differ. He's okay...he's another TK..." Now his facebook says "THIS IS THE JAMES NEAL I KNEW AND LOVED IN DALLAS! GET EM'! WOOOOHOOOO"

I have proudly supported James Neal since his first game as a Pen. His game is perfect for the Pens style. Even when he wasn't scoring goals last year, he was creating great opportunities for himself and line mates. He is also a great back checker. The Pens have the best group of wingers that they have had in a long time.

I was more than pumped when Shero traded for him, not to say the team didn't lose a quality player in Gogo, but Shero dealt from depth to get a very good young winger that the team needed. It was also sweet that his first game at home was student rush game, because I made sure to go.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby marek on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:41 pm

After I win the auction for Beagle's jersey I'm not only gonna have Asham sign it but afterwards I'm gonna get the name customized to say "Asham's Beotch" :)
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:56 pm

Knuble on Asham: "I personally played with him and feel he's a real honest player and did what he had to do..."
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:01 am

columbia wrote:Knuble on Asham: "I personally played with him and feel he's a real honest player and did what he had to do..."

I'm not concerned with his opinion. Dude got beat up in a stand-up fight, really isn't much else to say.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:36 am

Not that I didn't like him before, but I just might be a bigger fan of Asham today than I was yesterday.

UVM2003 wrote:
PenGator88 wrote:Caps own us.

...not when it counts

Adding the best player in the world to the roster won't hurt, either. :)
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The U on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:52 am

Ovie takes out Gonchar's knee, charges guys, targets Malkin for years, Steckel knocks Crosby out for 12 months, Beagle punches Letang. We finally responded and made a guy pay for his actions....all within the rules. Great punch, great message/response. There is no controversy here. Nobody held a gun to Beagle's head and forced him to fight. Lots of guys say "no", he could have skated away. Caps announcers were just talking about him bulking up and getting stronger/tougher. Asham's KO stopped them mid-sentence. That was funny.

Best goalie, forward, dman out of the game and we still dominated play. We'll be scary good when fully healthy. Not bothered by this one at all. They absolutely own is in the regular season. We own them in the playoffs. I'll take that trade.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puffymuffin on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:25 am

littlemoonboot wrote:Not that I didn't like him before, but I just might be a bigger fan of Asham today than I was yesterday.

Same here, finally someone who steps up against these clowns.
Puffymuffin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thekid87 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:28 am

Asham, i don't think he did anything wrong with that little "dustoff" taunt. i mean, it's hockey, worse stuff has happened, and will happen. i guarantee that.

that said, it takes a man to apologize and admit fault like that. that's awesome of him. and i say that even though this is the Capitals we're talking about. a team who measures all of their successes against those of the Pens. a team who boasts regular season dominance over the Pens but has only won ONCE against them in the postseason. a team whose fans (not all, but some very loud ones) have not only commended their Capitals on injuring Penguins players in the past, but also hoped they would have hurt them worse. a team that thinks their less important achievements warrant them a Stanley Cup, no matter how they play in the playoffs.
thekid87
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby topshelf on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:07 am

Good morning! Now that the buzz has worn off, I must say that I feel darn good about last night's game. Before I get into that, here is the "expert's" take on the Asham fight:

- http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/11792/capitals-penguins-clash-marred-by-fight

First we have LeBrun, who somehow mistook "reporting" for "opinion sharing". This quote sums up what a waste of web space this article truly is:

"and Beagle didn't have much of a choice but to drop the gloves with a rugged customer."

Apparently LeBrun missed the Beagle hit on Letang, then Beagle engaging with Asham (with a visor), and then Beagle throwing the first few punches.

- http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7099197

Then you have Melrose's opinion, which I believe is spot on. Basically he says that Letang is arguably one of the top defensemen in the league, and the Washington Capitals were looking to take liberties against him. He defended Asham saying that he did what he was supposed to do, send a message to the Capitals/NHL that such behavior won't fly anymore (hopefully).

He added that since the referees don't protect the players, the players have to protect themselves. :thumb

In all, I am not upset about the outcome of that game. People on the board will say that Washington has our number, but I believe the tide has turned. Sure, we lost to them last night, but we did so without a top 2 defenseman, our top goalie, and the best player in the world. What we saw from Washington was all they've got. Period. They haven't changed their style in 4 years, and I believe that we've adapted to it. Once we're at 100%, the Pittsburgh Penguins are going to be scary.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:12 am

topshelf wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:
Chefpatrick871 wrote:Really. The Gilles taunt was on a completely different level. Can we stop comparing the two. Asham had a fight with an unfortunate end for snoopy, this wasnt premeditated revenge followed with in the face taunting.

I guess I'm from a different generation of Pens' fans. It's not so much that Asham was "wrong" but I totally understand why Caps fans would be upset.

Mario or Ronnie Francis would not have made gestures while a player lay injured on the ice. I just think Penguins hockey is a class above that type of stuff. Bottom line.

Ulfie would have just blown own someone's knee.

Totally uncalled for comment.

Inaccurate, unrelated, inappropriate.

I can't believe this was posted by you Topshelf.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby topshelf on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:17 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
topshelf wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:
Chefpatrick871 wrote:Really. The Gilles taunt was on a completely different level. Can we stop comparing the two. Asham had a fight with an unfortunate end for snoopy, this wasnt premeditated revenge followed with in the face taunting.

I guess I'm from a different generation of Pens' fans. It's not so much that Asham was "wrong" but I totally understand why Caps fans would be upset.

Mario or Ronnie Francis would not have made gestures while a player lay injured on the ice. I just think Penguins hockey is a class above that type of stuff. Bottom line.

Ulfie would have just blown own someone's knee.

Totally uncalled for comment.

Inaccurate, unrelated, inappropriate.

I can't believe this was posted by you Topshelf.

I can, only because I was 9 Yuenglings in. :)

But, seriously, don't get too offended by it. Ulfie is one of my favorite Pens in team history, and I was just pointing out the absurdity of comparing Asham to Lemieux or Francis.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:23 am

No worries, Yuenglings go down easier than Beagle did. ;)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby columbia on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:26 am

I'll say this for Asham, he actually carried out what the useless goons are supposedly there for: protecting a star.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby topshelf on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:26 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:No worries, Yuenglings go down easier than Beagle did. ;)

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:49 am

columbia wrote:I'll say this for Asham, he actually carried out what the useless goons are supposedly there for: protecting a star.

Yeah... I'm sure he gained more than a few respect points amongst his fellow Pens.

He actually *did* something... I was a fan of BGL, but he wouldn't have stepped up like this. He'd have asked Beagle "to go", then skated over to the bench and said " he said no"
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:50 am

columbia wrote:I'll say this for Asham, he actually carried out what the useless goons are supposedly there for: protecting a star.

I give him credit for recognizing what an ass he was with the extra visuals while the cap guy was being helped off of the ice. if that is what it took to get the pens going; that is ludicrous.I don't watch the fights, so the first I heard of this was after I got home.
On to the game...
James neal with 4 goals, I'll happily eat crow. :D Thumbs up for Evgeni playing, defense is very good.
The pens lost because the goalie was making the saves and had some luck. OT, it was a good call, worse possible time of the game.
Always good to see Mario! I miss Sid on the ice.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:55 am

Well..this is definitely getting blown way out of proportion.

He made a stupid gesture, realized it was stupid and apologized after the game. The caps have a right to express their distaste for what Asham did after knocking the guy out. Asham will probably have to answer to some caps' goon next game, and we'll move on.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:57 am

Yeah, from the way some people are talking here I am wondering if they want Asham tried for war crimes.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins