Official GDT: Penguins vs. Hurricanes 11/12/11

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Penguins vs. Hurricanes 11/12/11

Postby jimreb on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:07 pm

wondermoose wrote:
jimreb wrote:
columbia wrote:They're not trading Paul Martin.

there's 5 million reasons he won't be traded

Are you insinuating there are no teams in the NHL that wouldn't take Paul Martin at 5 million a season? Cause that's just crazy. :scared:

No I'm saying that most teams don't want to take on 5 million in a trade unless they're trading you 5 million back or more in salary
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:10 pm

pens#1 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
duke66 wrote:good comeback, was looking like they would maybe get a road point out of it at the very least. not putting it totally on BJ, but he's been in net for 4 of the 7 losses this season (only 5 game played). can't overload MAF, but he needs to play back to back every once in while methinks.

You're right that MAF needs to play back-to-backs once in a while, but you don't do it against a Carolina team near the bottom of the standings. If Johnson had even an average game, for him, the outcome would've been different.

Pens have played 3 games in 2 weeks- i see no reason MAF couldnt have played- not to mention they have 2 more days off and will have Sid back

Definitely. I'm not trying to say MAF couldn't have played, especially since he had a fairly easy game last night only facing 20 shots. I think it's more like the decision was already made, and they felt Johnson could get the job done against the Canes.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens#1 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:10 pm

anyone saying we cant move Martin hasnt seen some trades that have gone down. If Shero offers him up we would have more offers than most would guess. Who can we get from CBJ?
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jimreb on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:10 pm

Sullivan has a lower body injury....the Pens have a weird thing were when their players get injured it takes a game or two for the injury to kick in...I think Staal was injured in a game and played the next game then missed two....Unless I missed it, I didn't see Sullivan get hurt this game, but did the previous game.
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jimreb on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:12 pm

tfrizz wrote:
pens#1 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
duke66 wrote:good comeback, was looking like they would maybe get a road point out of it at the very least. not putting it totally on BJ, but he's been in net for 4 of the 7 losses this season (only 5 game played). can't overload MAF, but he needs to play back to back every once in while methinks.

You're right that MAF needs to play back-to-backs once in a while, but you don't do it against a Carolina team near the bottom of the standings. If Johnson had even an average game, for him, the outcome would've been different.

Pens have played 3 games in 2 weeks- i see no reason MAF couldnt have played- not to mention they have 2 more days off and will have Sid back

Definitely. I'm not trying to say MAF couldn't have played, especially since he had a fairly easy game last night only facing 20 shots. I think it's more like the decision was already made, and they felt Johnson could get the job done against the Canes.

Next game Johnson plays, is two weeks, either against Ottawa or Montreal on 25th-26th...back to back games..I'm saying Ottawa, cause Fleury will get the from the hometown start in Montreal
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sniper on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:13 pm

Martin is tradeable, but I'd be shocked if Ray was even attempting to trade him. He's better than he's been playing, just like Fleury was better than he was playing at the beginning of last year. It's possible Martin is a little injured. He did miss a morning skate before one game...the LA game?
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jprolley on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:14 pm

damn....fleury plays like crap in montreal
jprolley
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pugilist13 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:15 pm

largegarlic wrote:I don't blame Martin on the last goal either. Pens d-men pinch quite frequently, and normally someone shifts over to cover. It didn't happen that time, but that's not on Martin.

Your point is spot on about the D men pinching, however you have to recognize the point in the game. You just battled back from a 3-0 deficit in the third and its getting late. Play it smart. It was a high risk pinch at that point. If it happens in the first period i dont have a problem with it. At that point its stupid.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:16 pm

jimreb wrote:Sullivan has a lower body injury....the Pens have a weird thing were when their players get injured it takes a game or two for the injury to kick in...I think Staal was injured in a game and played the next game then missed two....Unless I missed it, I didn't see Sullivan get hurt this game, but did the previous game.

Sullivan has had grion problems prior- thats my guess, anyone that has followed Sullivan is probably shocked hes made it this far without getting injured.
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:19 pm

Johnson was abysmal. Blame whoever else you want to, but 4 of the 5 goals were soft. If you give him the pathetic, telegraphed poke check on the last goal - it was still 3 out of 5.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:23 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Johnson was abysmal.

/thread
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wondermoose on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:38 pm

pens#1 wrote:
jimreb wrote:Sullivan has a lower body injury....the Pens have a weird thing were when their players get injured it takes a game or two for the injury to kick in...I think Staal was injured in a game and played the next game then missed two....Unless I missed it, I didn't see Sullivan get hurt this game, but did the previous game.

Sullivan has had grion problems prior- thats my guess, anyone that has followed Sullivan is probably shocked hes made it this far without getting injured.

I was thinking that very thing tonight. Jinxed it.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ulf on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:46 pm

i always enjoy fans proposing trades when someone's at their lowest value.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens#1 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:47 pm

ulf wrote:i always enjoy fans proposing trades when someone's at their lowest value.

well isnt that the point, you dont want to trade your best players, you want another team to take your worst
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:47 pm

wondermoose wrote:
pens#1 wrote:

I was thinking that very thing tonight. Jinxed it.

I actually wasn't thinking about it at all... "it" knew, so Sully had to be injured once I stopped worrying.. Hopefully he's not out too long.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby hockeymon on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:54 pm

the only goal paul martin was involved in on giving up was the first one. i couldn't believe how bad letang was out of position on the two of the goals. on the one malkin was the only one back. where were all the forwards? letang was left out on the top of the circles watching. it is just amaing that you don't watch the hole game. who was the goof ball that said letang goes in and martin is to stay back? do you understand hockey. Russing style - first ones in the the others play defense. that is how the penguins play.
i do have one question - why do the penguins let letang and malkin stay out on the power play for the entire two minutes or more ? not sound hockey principles!!!
\
hockeymon
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ulf on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:55 pm

pens#1 wrote:
ulf wrote:i always enjoy fans proposing trades when someone's at their lowest value.

well isnt that the point, you dont want to trade your best players, you want another team to take your worst

yeah and you want as little in return as you can get :roll:
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wondermoose on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:56 pm

I'm more worried about Geno than anything after this game. He's really fighting the puck and blowing a lot of quality scoring chances.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:06 pm

Geno I thought has looked great to be honest.

Needs to put a few in the net no doubt, but his play in general has been great.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Matthew Monstar on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:19 pm

wondermoose wrote:I'm more worried about Geno than anything after this game. He's really fighting the puck and blowing a lot of quality scoring chances.

Any other goalie then Cam Ward and Geno probably has two goals in tonight's game. Creating great chances for himself and others.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:43 pm

Geno put 12 pucks on net tonight had multiple scoring chances and was a force every time he as on the ice. no need to worry about him just because ward made some good saves, that will happen.

Martin isn't going anywhere. aside from 1 game we haven't seen a full healthy lineup on defense yet this year. martin is proven and is struggling now, but we aren't talking ryan whitney struggling. he isn't playing with his normal partner. he'll be fine.

there is nothing to worry about with this team right now. this is the best team in the NHL with a full healthy lineup, their biggest obstacle is actually being healthy.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:16 am

Kris Letang played one of the worst games I've ever seen him play. He was in no mans land on at least two of Carolina's goals. Larose goal was completely his fault. When Martin pinched down low Letang has to be a where that he is the only d man back. Instead, he doesn't get back and leaves the middle wide open for Larose.

Letang has been brutal the past two games.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby farnham16 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:19 am

Also, there was no reason to start BJ tonight. MAF has been great all season and BJ really has not. The Pens have had a ton of time off lately so rest should not be a reason to sit a young MAF. There is no rule in hockey that says you have to play both goalies on back to back game situations. DB should be questioned for this. Makes no sense to me.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:48 am

BJ played great last year when Fleury wasn't and they still gave Fleury starts. You can't make Fleury start every game, especially back to backs. The Pens seemingly always play Fleury one game and BJ the next. Nothing new. BJ had a bad game, it happens.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:59 am

Rylan wrote:BJ played great last year when Fleury wasn't and they still gave Fleury starts. You can't make Fleury start every game, especially back to backs. The Pens seemingly always play Fleury one game and BJ the next. Nothing new. BJ had a bad game, it happens.

Pens have had a ton of days off lately and MAF is off to one of his best starts ever. Shouldn't be set in stone that BJ has to play every time there is a back to back which it seems to be.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins