Official GDT: Pens vs. Panthers

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs. Panthers

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:00 am

winger wrote:Johnson's start was related to his better record against the the Panthers than Fleury.

Which I also think is dumb. By that logic, if BJ started the next 5 games and lost, he'd still be better against FLA than Fleury.

90% of the time, I'd start BJ against a terrible team like the Panthers too. In hindsight, I think HCDB should have just started Fleury to help the team focus and just go all out for a W on a relatively bad road trip.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NebraskaNic on Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:00 am

bhaw wrote:
Froggy wrote:
bhaw wrote:You'd think after struggling with these SE teams, HCDB would show some killer instinct and start MAF to show the team they need to play all out. I know Johnson needs his starts, but when you have a stretch of bad games versus terrible teams, you have to throw your best line up in there and say "have at it, you can rest later."

maybe johnson's start was dad trip related

Is that relevant when his dad is Bob Johnson?

End of the day, the dad's trip is a nice thing they do. Shouldn't interfere with coaching decisions, IMO.

Not THAT Bob Johnson.
NebraskaNic
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens#1 on Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:03 am

bhaw wrote:You'd think after struggling with these SE teams, HCDB would show some killer instinct and start MAF to show the team they need to play all out. I know Johnson needs his starts, but when you have a stretch of bad games versus terrible teams, you have to throw your best line up in there and say "have at it, you can rest later."

BJ played because of the Father Trip- cant blame DB for bring a good guy
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:05 am

NebraskaNic wrote:
bhaw wrote:
Froggy wrote:

End of the day, the dad's trip is a nice thing they do. Shouldn't interfere with coaching decisions, IMO.

Not THAT Bob Johnson.

I know that. But his dad was a professional NHL goalie. I think his dad, more than any other dad there, would understand DB saying he has to start MAF.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NebraskaNic on Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:06 am

bhaw wrote:
NebraskaNic wrote:
bhaw wrote:
Froggy wrote:

Not THAT Bob Johnson.

I know that. But his dad was a professional NHL goalie. I think his dad, more than any other dad there, would understand DB saying he has to start MAF.

Okay, now I follow.
NebraskaNic
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:06 am

pens#1 wrote:

BJ played because of the Father Trip- cant blame DB for bring a good guy

Yes you can. His job is to win. Then he has a bunch of other job responsibilities. "Being a good guy" is not required by anyone.

Again, I'm using hindsight, and I understand why he did it. I would just have preferred they said "Eff this, let's win one here and take something away from this miserable road trip."
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens#1 on Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:07 am

bhaw- i really think your wrong on this one. At the end of the day the Pens should be able to score more than 3 against a team that hast made the playoffs in 10+ years. Playing a guy with his dad there will go a long way, its not one of those things you will see in the W L column
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:10 am

pens#1 wrote:bhaw- i really think your wrong on this one. At the end of the day the Pens should be able to score more than 3 against a team that hast made the playoffs in 10+ years. Playing a guy with his dad there will go a long way, its not one of those things you will see in the W L column

Go a long way retaining a goalie they probably won't want or need after this year?

I'm not super pissed about the decision or anything. But the team has played poorly all year in front of BJ. BJ has played sub-par all year. Pens have been struggling against these teams. By starting MAF, you are basically grabbing the whole team and shaking them. When the whole team has been coasting this trip, starting BJ seems to say "let's just ride this out and whatever happens happens."

Was Caroline part of the dad's trip? I honestly don't know.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghThing on Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:12 am

bhaw wrote:
pens#1 wrote:bhaw- i really think your wrong on this one. At the end of the day the Pens should be able to score more than 3 against a team that hast made the playoffs in 10+ years. Playing a guy with his dad there will go a long way, its not one of those things you will see in the W L column

Go a long way retaining a goalie they probably won't want or need after this year?

I'm not super pissed about the decision or anything. But the team has played poorly all year in front of BJ. BJ has played sub-par all year. Pens have been struggling against these teams. By starting MAF, you are basically grabbing the whole team and shaking them. When the whole team has been coasting this trip, starting BJ seems to say "let's just ride this out and whatever happens happens."

No it wasn't, they just stunk on their own there.
BurghThing
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens#1 on Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:20 am

bhaw wrote:

he may be gone after this year- im saying it will go along way for the next 60+ games. Its good to have a back up thats into it, also the Pens need 10 - 12 more wins out of him. i guess i think the Pens should have rallied around DB's decision to start BJ because of the trip. Many Pens didnt- last Saturday i was upset that DB started him with the amount of time off the Pens have had
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby winger on Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:27 am

I don't know.. I'm not standing up for him too much but his sub par play may be a reflection of the sub par performance of the other 22 guys that can't seem to buy a goal and field paper thin defense way too many times. Just seems like a vicious circle going on the last few games. Confidence can be inspiring on both sides of the mask.
winger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:42 am

i hate watching johnson play right now. he looks more like a goalie from the 80's than i've seen since...well...the 80's.

if playing macentyre and johnson is a requirement, then these dad trips need to stop
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:33 am

This happens every season, not surprised it happened again.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:05 am

Froggy wrote:

Definitely. It's also why MacIntyre played against the Lightning.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sniper on Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:58 am

The U wrote:The last 2 games, the team with the better PP won. Some year we'll address it.

They are going back to throwing the puck around out at the point and not attempting to set up anything down low on the power play. It's the same problem they had last year. I think the reason for this is Neal is remaining stationary down by the right side of the net. He needs to roam around in the slot and make the pk collapse toward him like he was doing earlier in the season.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins