OK Ryan "Tough-guy" Whitney, you have convinced me

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby netwolf on Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:14 pm

Anyone who expected Gonchar to be positionally sound this year has not spent much time watching him play before. He has always been an adventure in his own end and always will be. The reason you add a guy like him to your team is because he is an elite offensive defenseman. I forget the exact stat, but he's the highest scoring defenseman over the past 4-6 years.

Add in the expectations that power plays would be up, along with offense in general, and you have the reason whay Patrick extended the big money contract. At the time, I didn't mind the average money, but thought the contract was a year or two too long. I maintain that stance today.

Gonchar may or may not have deserved boos earlier, but over the past month he has not. He has done exactly what is expected of him, minus the goal scoring, which is not there right now. People booing him now either aren't good at letting things go or ignorant of what his game is like.

Now, if someone's main beef with Gonchar is that he isn't worth the money he's making, Gonchar still doesn't deserve the boos. Craig Patrick extended the offer to him. It's not like Gonchar called Patrick and talked him into offering the deal.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:31 pm

netwolf wrote:Anyone who expected Gonchar to be positionally sound this year has not spent much time watching him play before. He has always been an adventure in his own end and always will be. The reason you add a guy like him to your team is because he is an elite offensive defenseman. I forget the exact stat, but he's the highest scoring defenseman over the past 4-6 years.

Add in the expectations that power plays would be up, along with offense in general, and you have the reason whay Patrick extended the big money contract. At the time, I didn't mind the average money, but thought the contract was a year or two too long. I maintain that stance today.

Gonchar may or may not have deserved boos earlier, but over the past month he has not. He has done exactly what is expected of him, minus the goal scoring, which is not there right now. People booing him now either aren't good at letting things go or ignorant of what his game is like.

Now, if someone's main beef with Gonchar is that he isn't worth the money he's making, Gonchar still doesn't deserve the boos. Craig Patrick extended the offer to him. It's not like Gonchar called Patrick and talked him into offering the deal.

I wont go to a game and boo anybody but the other team and occasionally the refs. The booing is stupid but thats there right.

The irony in all of this is that the new rules made Gonchar worse and not better. Forwards are comming at him faster than ever and the 2-line passes have made him back off at even strength. The Penguins never considered the other side of the coin when they took a chance on Gonchar, or at least they didnt bother to hype that side of it. :D

Gonchar is better defensively then Ziggy has exagerated he is. I remember 96 when he was challenged by Jagr and the Pens and he stood tall. He did as good a job on Jagr defensively as anyone could have. That was more of an exception to the norm but he is capable of not being THIS bad. The whole team has to play aggressive and smart and never let up. If they do he can add to that, otherwise he is awful.
NIN

Postby MrKnowNothing on Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:06 pm

A. Gonchar played well two and three years ago. He has sucked with the Pens for the most part, but to say he has always sucked suggests that you didn't watch him enough.

B. Last night is what Whitney's potential in the NHL is. I think it's safe to say that that was his best NHL game so far. He was doing everything he is supposed to do well. Making the tape to tape passes, carrying the puck up ice, using his speed to get the puck out of danger, and being sound positionally in his own end.

Anyone asking for him to be a bruiser or banger is asking him to not play his game. His game is almost the opposite of that, with him being able to use his quickness to win battles. He isn't a soft player, but anyone asking him to be out there throwing huge hits is going to be disappointed.
MrKnowNothing

Postby MrKnowNothing on Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:13 pm

He was never a terrible defensive defenseman. It isn't his forte, but he was a better player than this. A lot of it was due to having a sound defensive partner, which allowed him to be more dynamic offensively.

I don't care if you want to blame Patrick for not having a good partner for Gonchar, because it seems like that is how you get the most out of him.

And the only way Witt every protected anyone was by the old clutch and grab with an occasional dirty play.
MrKnowNothing

Postby Pitts on Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:20 pm

He already made the Russian MEN's team. Try another angle.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:48 pm

Gonchar rules!!!

16-0? Excusie?? Excussie???
NIN

Postby Ashamed87 on Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:50 pm

i thought the Swiss had a low total with 9, but 5...wow....those poor poor goalies....
Ashamed87

Postby Ashamed87 on Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:51 pm

I mean the two italian ones....not the two bored ones.
Ashamed87

Postby NIN on Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:54 pm

Ashamed87 wrote:i thought the Swiss had a low total with 9, but 5...wow....those poor poor goalies....

A couple of years ago the Devils held Toronto to 5 shots in a playoff game. What a machine they run over there.
NIN

Re: yep

Postby FuturePens on Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:16 pm

I agree with you 100%, Endicott is simply stupid and a bad player. Ryan deserves all the credit he can get in today's game, he had 7 blocked shots and playe a heck of a game. He can still improve on hitting the net on slapshots, but it was a great overall performance.[/quote]

Yeah, Endicott sucks big time, Whitney would be a great player if not for Gonchar taking over the C on the PP and not giving Ryan time to play and prove the team how much he really is worth. Endicott willl NEVER block 7 shots, but instead give you 7 give aways.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins