After the Pens performance tonight......

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

After the Pens performance tonight......

Postby Judy on Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:30 pm

does anyone think it's good that they are now going on a three week break? :?:
Judy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stevens25 on Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:22 am

Even though Carolina was probably tired,the Pens beat them at all aspects of the game. So if the Pens can beat a good team like Carolina,they why lose to everyone else?
Stevens25

Postby guiner on Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:25 am

Stevens25 wrote:Even though Carolina was probably tired,the Pens beat them at all aspects of the game. So if the Pens can beat a good team like Carolina,they why lose to everyone else?

Ain't sports great. That's why they play'm.

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:09 am

This is proof that this team isn't as bad as the record indicates. They've beaten some good teams this year. When the effort and the confidence are there, they can compete. By no means are they a good team even with great efforts like tonight, but they're not last in the league.

Early on, I think the problem was largely effort. This team was too relaxed. The older players were running the show, and they weren't exactly cut out for the new NHL. Right now, it's more of a confidence issue. There are so many young players on this team that just don't feel comfortable in the NHL yet. Look at Ryan Whitney. He played with confidence tonight, just as he did when he first was recalled, and he looked great. Most of the time, he's unsure of himself, and he struggles.

Ultimately, of course, it boils down to a lack of talent. There are too many fringe players on the roster. Guys like Endicott and Koltsov take regular shifts and produce absolutely nothing. Cory Cross got embarrassed tonight. Rita doesn't really impress me. Even a guy like Colby Armstrong, whom I like, is a third liner playing on the top line. I did think Christensen brought something we've been missing. Hopefully he and Talbot are back up for good after the Olympics. They aren't going to be world changers, but I think we'll see some difference with them on the roster over an Endicott (hopefully) and Koltsov. One guy that will really make a difference for the Pens next season is Malkin.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby topshelf on Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:31 am

Guys like Endicott and Koltsov take regular shifts and produce absolutely nothing

Nobody, and I mean nobody, can knock Koltsov's performance last night. He was fantastic on the penalty kill. He may not score goals, but his hustle makes him a keeper. There is still a lot of potential for KK to become a solid third/fourth line grinder. He has the speed to play against a team's top line.
topshelf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Koltsov aint NHL-er

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:08 am

We cant have players,even if is a grinder and a good PK,who cant score a goal in 50 games... We have Murley for that (PK)
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Koltsov aint NHL-er

Postby netwolf on Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:19 pm

Pens4Life wrote:We have Murley for that (PK)

Actually, we don't. Murley is hurt.

Even if Koltsov's hands never get better, he can still be a very effective 4th line forechecker/energy guy.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:41 pm

I'm sorry, but Koltsov just doesn't cut it. I'm not going to deny that he's a pretty good forechecker at times, and he is a hardworker. But to go 35 games, most of them getting regular shifts on the third line, some even on the top two lines, and producing no goals and only two assists is very bad. You have to produce SOMETHING. Look at Boguneicki. He's been playing a little more recently, and he's putting some things on the board. Colby and a lot of other rookies came up and cashed in on opportunities. Koltsov did have one of his better games last night, but he's still an offensive blackhole. That doesn't cut it on a good team. If the Pens want to be a good team, they need to get past guys like this.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Scuderi and Whitney had great games...

Postby snagg66 on Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:48 pm

I was at the game last night and I made these general observations:

1. Scuderi did a great job last night and battled for the puck as well as he has all year.
2. Whitney is going to be a solid player in this league for years.
3. Armstrong and Malone must be a little more selfish in the offensive zone. Shooting the puck is sometimes the best option and last night these two had opportunities to do so and passed the puck.
4. Jackman has one of the hardest shots in the league; the key for him is to keep the puck down. Larry Murphy could teach him a thing or two about that.
5. Orpik has to learn when the open ice blue line hit is ok to take. Kasparaitis and Ulfie were guilty of such early in their careers.
6. Recchi and LeClair are old but how can you have 31-47-78 points combined and still be a combined -47?
7. Sometimes the best defense is offense. The great Penguin teams were not great defensive teams. They controlled the puck and got timely saves from Barrasso.
8. Seems like the biggest fan in the barn last night was MAF. He was into the game and being a supportive teammate.
9. Keri Fraser's interference call on Jackman was a bad call. I am here to tell you, had the net not been dislodged, he doesn't make that call.
10. It was nice to see the Penguin reactions after the game.
11. This win will bode well for the remainder of the season. Looking back after the season, we will mark this one down as a landmark victory.

Lastly, no matter where the Penguins go, Pittsburgh or wherever it may be, this team has a solid nucleus to build on and they will be very good if it stays together. How long that takes depends on wins like these; the more they get, the better they will be. Nothing breeds confidence like a little success.
snagg66

not really

Postby FuturePens on Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:52 pm

Stevens25 wrote:Even though Carolina was probably tired,the Pens beat them at all aspects of the game. So if the Pens can beat a good team like Carolina,they why lose to everyone else?

We outplayed them, but the little things we still did not do better. One major example is faceoffs. Carolina had the advantage 42:26. Penalty minutes 20:14, thats' 3 more penalties, all of them in crucial final minutes. And, we got outshot again. I thought Caron was great besides the final play in the first period, and Whitney blocked 7 shots. Them two accounted for most of the Pens mistakes. Great win, but not a dominant one. We outplayed them, but not outsmarted.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins