Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby columbia on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:22 pm

Gaucho wrote:He's younger than me. :sad:



Get used to it. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,728
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby Steve on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:23 pm

I think the Bruins & their goalie had something to do with #87's play tonight too.

It does look like Sid has hit a wall though, which is to be expected. The transition game isn't there either, with the new players on D.

Pens never quit - still love this team.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,674
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby Gaucho on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:24 pm

I'm trying, I'm trying...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,143
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby newarenanow on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:25 pm

CERV96 wrote:If they go to 4 confrences what happens to the Prince of Whales and Campbell Cup?


That's a good question.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,338
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby pens#1 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:26 pm

hopefully 1 or 2 of the three injured D man can make it back for Thursday
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,885
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:05 pm
Location: allentown

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby sniper on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:26 pm

Steve wrote:I think the Bruins & their goalie had something to do with #87's play tonight too.

It does look like Sid has hit a wall though, which is to be expected. The transition game isn't there either, with the new players on D.

Pens never quit - still love this team.


Possibly, but I'm still not seeing him pick up any speed in the neutral zone. Even back checking the burst isn't there. Whether it's injury or just not in game shape yet I'm not sure.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,229
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:25 pm

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:30 pm

sniper wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:What Tim Thomas is doing at his advanced age is very impressive.


Sure is. Would have liked to of seen more traffic in front of him. Definitely the main reason Boston is where they are.


At his age, he could fall off at any second, or get injured. As a matter of fact, he will get hurt at his age, it's just a matter of time. Not that I'm hoping for it to happen. I'm just saying, like with Brodeur, the wear and tear becomes too much. His body might have a few good years left in it, but even Hasek ran out of gas and had to retire eventually.

Same thing is going on with Pronger in Philly. When he playe, he is great (10 pts in 13 gp). But his body is in the process of breaking down. That's going on with many of the Steelers right now (Ward, Farrior, Hampton, Smith, etc). One thing I'm thankful for is that the Pens don't have a ton of aging players on long-term deals.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,819
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby SDPen77 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:33 pm

I could not watch the game tonight but I hope that Sid is ok. I figure that it should take time for him to regain his normal stamina and game form. It seems like in his first game back that he was more aggressive and driving to score. Now it appears that he is passing the puck more and being an assist to his teammates. I wonder if he recieved pressure after his first game back to be more team driven? Some people as ridiculous as it sounds may have been irritated by all of the Sid this and that after he returned. I am not sure but it feels like something has changed and clearly not for the better. Hopefully it is nothing and everything will work itself out. There is so much talent on this team. It is a shame that they are not performing better.
SDPen77
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:32 am

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby Pen48guins on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:35 pm

I think its time to put Kennedy with Malkin instead of Sullivan. At least Kennedy will take a shot and he can win a battle on the boards. It seems like Sullivan never comes away with the puck when its on the boards.
Pen48guins
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:38 pm

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby bhaw on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:43 pm

Things I don't understand:

-Continued criticism of Sullivan

He's doing exactly as you would expect a 1.5M winger of his age. I don't see him effing up, but this looks a lot like the Whitney/Martin syndrome. If you want to criticize him, you're going to watch everything he does and blow small mistakes out of proportion as if no one is making the same mistakes.

Thinking TK has done anything to deserve a promotion to the top 6 is ridiculous. He has been just as abysmal, if not more so, than Sullivan. For some reason TK gets the Armstrong treatment where no matter how mediocre he plays, he would somehow be a great fit in the top 6.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,002
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby CERV96 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:44 pm

SDPen77 wrote:I could not watch the game tonight but I hope that Sid is ok. I figure that it should take time for him to regain his normal stamina and game form. It seems like in his first game back that he was more aggressive and driving to score. Now it appears that he is passing the puck more and being an assist to his teammates. I wonder if he recieved pressure after his first game back to be more team driven? Some people as ridiculous as it sounds may have been irritated by all of the Sid this and that after he returned. I am not sure but it feels like something has changed and clearly not for the better. Hopefully it is nothing and everything will work itself out. There is so much talent on this team. It is a shame that they are not performing better.



I said this earlier in the thread I believe Sid may have tweeked his groin or something in the 1st period of the Rangers game last week during a collision. Hence why he has not been digging in corners as much since then. Still dont understand why he isnt shooting as much though. I dont think he wants to sit out with being out for almost a year.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,642
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby columbia on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:48 pm

bhaw wrote:Things I don't understand:

-Continued criticism of Sullivan

He's doing exactly as you would expect a 1.5M winger of his age. I don't see him effing up, but this looks a lot like the Whitney/Martin syndrome. If you want to criticize him, you're going to watch everything he does and blow small mistakes out of proportion as if no one is making the same mistakes.

Thinking TK has done anything to deserve a promotion to the top 6 is ridiculous. He has been just as abysmal, if not more so, than Sullivan. For some reason TK gets the Armstrong treatment where no matter how mediocre he plays, he would somehow be a great fit in the top 6.


bhaw makes the donuts on time in this post. :thumb:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,728
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby bhaw on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:51 pm

columbia wrote:
bhaw wrote:Things I don't understand:

-Continued criticism of Sullivan

He's doing exactly as you would expect a 1.5M winger of his age. I don't see him effing up, but this looks a lot like the Whitney/Martin syndrome. If you want to criticize him, you're going to watch everything he does and blow small mistakes out of proportion as if no one is making the same mistakes.

Thinking TK has done anything to deserve a promotion to the top 6 is ridiculous. He has been just as abysmal, if not more so, than Sullivan. For some reason TK gets the Armstrong treatment where no matter how mediocre he plays, he would somehow be a great fit in the top 6.


bhaw makes the donuts on time in this post. :thumb:


I don't even know what that means :lol:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,002
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby shmenguin on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:53 pm

bhaw wrote:Thinking TK has done anything to deserve a promotion to the top 6 is ridiculous. He has been just as abysmal, if not more so, than Sullivan. For some reason TK gets the Armstrong treatment where no matter how mediocre he plays, he would somehow be a great fit in the top 6.


:lol:

umm...did you miss the part where people were running kennedy out of town for like a whole calendar year?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,585
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby columbia on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:54 pm

It was a compliment (and I've had a few too many).
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,728
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby bhaw on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:56 pm

shmenguin wrote:
bhaw wrote:Thinking TK has done anything to deserve a promotion to the top 6 is ridiculous. He has been just as abysmal, if not more so, than Sullivan. For some reason TK gets the Armstrong treatment where no matter how mediocre he plays, he would somehow be a great fit in the top 6.


:lol:

umm...did you miss the part where people were running kennedy out of town for like a whole calendar year?


Probably. I avoid stupid crap like that. :D I just notice he's always listed as someone who should be in the top 6 because he shoots a lot (despite only scoring 3 goals on 60 shots this year).

Reasonable people realized Sid wouldn't crawl in a cave and die when Army was traded too, but it was still widely accepted (not among everyone, of course) that Sid was a sad panda anytime he struggled due to his buddy being traded.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,002
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby shmenguin on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:03 am

bhaw wrote:Probably. I avoid stupid crap like that. :D I just notice he's always listed as someone who should be in the top 6 because he shoots a lot (despite only scoring 3 goals on 60 shots this year).

Reasonable people realized Sid wouldn't crawl in a cave and die when Army was traded too, but it was still widely accepted (not among everyone, of course) that Sid was a sad panda anytime he struggled due to his buddy being traded.


i think the plan should be that kennedy gets swapped with sullivan if sullivan is struggling or if kennedy is playing well. it gives both guys a dangling carrot. i think sullivan helps our power play (meanwhile malkin is one of the most surprisingly terrible 5-3 guys out there), but seems lost at even strength lately. way too much deference/reverence, which is another way of saying he's over-thinking everything. but is it at the point where there should be a change with kennedy? meh. don't know about that. if it is, it would be more to get some fresh blood flowing rather than because people are struggling.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,585
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby columbia on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:08 am

Do you honestly believe that Sullivan would be more effective on a checking line?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,728
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby shmenguin on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:10 am

columbia wrote:Do you honestly believe that Sullivan would be more effective on a checking line?


i don't think he should be cemented in the top 6. which idea wins out?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,585
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby columbia on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:12 am

shmenguin wrote:
columbia wrote:Do you honestly believe that Sullivan would be more effective on a checking line?


i don't think he should be cemented in the top 6. which idea wins out?


In that case, you should be advocating a healthy scratch for Sullivan; he's not physically capable of a role outside of what he is doing now.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,728
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby Wrangler98 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:40 am

Hoping for a suspension for the slew-foot on Nisky. Malkin also got head butted by a guy in a full face shield - coward.
Wrangler98
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,373
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:00 pm
Location: Nobama 2012

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby marek on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:10 pm

Wrangler98 wrote:Hoping for a suspension for the slew-foot on Nisky. Malkin also got head butted by a guy in a full face shield - coward.


But seeing how Shanahan is doing his job so far he's going to say the slew doesn't warrant further action because nisky "took care of it" himself by dropping the gloves with him.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,748
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:44 am
Location: The Farms, La Jolla California

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby ILikeTurtles on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:20 pm

Didn't get to watch the game, but saw a stat that Boston is 14-0-1 in the last 15 games. That is a shocking stat, Boston is on a roll right now, but come play-off time my money is on this Penguins team everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,949
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:39 pm
Location: Searching the Congo for Crocosaurus.

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby shmenguin on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:25 pm

i guess i buy that slew foots are really dangerous, but i can't remember the last time i actually saw an injury happen because of one.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,585
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Emergency GDT: BOS @ PIT 12/5/2011

Postby jsp on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:52 pm

Wrangler98 wrote:Hoping for a suspension for the slew-foot on Nisky. Malkin also got head butted by a guy in a full face shield - coward.


The full steel mask to face shot was worse. Should be held responsible for injuries caused when wearing one.
jsp
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:56 pm

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


e-mail