OFFICIAL GDT: Penguins Vs. Flyers - 12/08/11

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: Penguins Vs. Flyers - 12/08/11

Postby pens#1 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:33 pm

sil wrote:I love this ongoing assumption that Jagr wanted to play in Pittsburgh.

well it was clear Jagr wanted more $$$$ - Shero invested in his boy from Nashville, summer prior to that we lost draft pick trying to get another Ex Pred.
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BurghThing on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:38 pm

I wonder if I only show up for the third period on Tuesday if I'll get the winter hat?

The Pens only show up for third periods and they still get paid don't they?
BurghThing
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:49 pm

pens#1 wrote:
sil wrote:I love this ongoing assumption that Jagr wanted to play in Pittsburgh.

well it was clear Jagr wanted more $$$$ - Shero invested in his boy from Nashville, summer prior to that we lost draft pick trying to get another Ex Pred.

Two summers before that Shero brought a cup winner together. Look, I'm not forcing some defense for Shero, but the pens were never going to get Jagr for a fair price compared to what Philly offered...our cap wouldn't afford it.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby crokin on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:49 pm

Not to complain, but it is somewhat alarming that we've played 3 top teams in the past week and lost all three handidly.
Yeh, we beat the Caps but as of today the Caps are a 3rd place team.
I guess as well, we can factor in no Tanger or Z, but Philly was without Pronger.
crokin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:54 pm

lol... another Jagr debate. YES!
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:01 am

RxBandit66 wrote:Martin is doing the absolute best that he can do.

well that's the problem - he's not. being a turnover machine isn't his best. and he doesn't offer enough in the other areas of his game to make up for it. i don't understand people citing his ice time tonight as some sort of compliment.

he's better than this. and that's why he deserves to be the frequent whipping boy.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:04 am

shmenguin wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:Martin is doing the absolute best that he can do.

well that's the problem - he's not. being a turnover machine isn't his best. and he doesn't offer enough in the other areas of his game to make up for it. i don't understand people citing his ice time tonight as some sort of compliment.

he's better than this. and that's why he deserves to be the frequent whipping boy.

agreed. martin's play over the last two months is far from his best.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby doublem on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:16 am

Martin hasn't been good so far but he is playing with a different partner every night. Everyone is out of order. Nisky has been pretty good for the most part but he isn't a number 3 on any team. Martin will get it together at some point, prolly when he plays with Z like last year. He is a good player.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:20 am

I think the thing that really bothers me is that the Pens have yet to show up for a full game.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby crokin on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:43 am

They definitely have not played Pens hockey in awhile.
You know, the more I see them less Tanger+Z, to me, it seems like those two are the glue of our team.
The PK and PP are much worse, and we simply cannot control the puck and make outlets from our zone.
crokin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pen48guins on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:05 am

Big Mac got a whole 2:03 of ice time!
Pen48guins
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:29 am

shmenguin wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:Am I wrong, or have the Pens basically stopped playing physical hockey lately? Is it the injuries? They don't seem like Shero's ”tough team to play against” these days.

this is a bad time to bring this up since i'm so insane and angry right now, but cooke isn't really that physical anymore. that makes a big difference. there was value in him being such a dirtbag

I wanted to bring that up. That's been the case with the team this year. I don't remember the last time Kunitz delivered a devastating hit. Or Cooke. Asham needs to hit more. Kennedy and Adams and the rest of the guys. We are not built to be a freelwheeling team that relies only on offense. Flyers are built more that way. I still maintain Flyers will have problems the closer we get to the playoffs when things get more physical/tighter and it will be harder to score for everyone, yet if we don't start playing playoff type hockey we're going to get taken out by a team like Montreal again. Flyers have bad defensemen and many rookies, so you need to pressure them hard and play in their zone. If not, they're going to play in yours and they have enough skill to score goals. We were playing right into their hands the first two periods. Same as in the Boston game. Maybe we need to trade Sully for a bigger guy who will play a more physical game. I understand we can't and should not play 100% hard in every game, but if we're up against Boston or Philly or some other good team, we need to step up and compete. We're not going to win a cup this way.

I thought we played a good 3rd and pretty much dominated in their zone. But we need to do that for 60 minutes.

That Hartnell goal was disgusting. Orpik needs to hit that streaking d-man and end the rush.

I thought Flyers took some liberties with their hits against our guys, as did Boston. Suddenly, we don't retaliate (hit back).
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The U on Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:49 am

^^ I said this weeks ago as well. At the time Cooke was like 200th in the NHL in hits. If he's not hitting he's not playing the way we need him to play.

The team on a whole isn't all that energetic, fast, physical, or hard to play against. Don't really have an identity right now.

We are nitpicking since we remain in the top tier of the NHL standings, but I don't like the trend I see.

We don't look anything like the Bylsma/Shero teams that went to the Finals. Those teams hit everything that moved and just overwhelmed teams with energy and aggression. I guess you can't play that way for a full 82 game regular season but I haven't seen it more than once or twice all year.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Psychlone on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:11 am

Pens are overrated, they are a good team but not a great one. It would be great if the Penguins could play Ottawa or the Islanders every night cause they would look like world beaters for sure. While there have been many bright spots this season for the team like the play of Neal, Fleury, Staal, Dupuis, and Niskanen, the Pens have shown that they struggle to beat upper echelon and even some bottom feeder teams on a consistent basis. Injuries to star players have taken a toll,the power play is simply abysmal (5 on 3's especially), Fleury has let in a few too many soft/fluke goals lately, Neal has slowed down a bit despite scoring tonight and Malkin is still a little too inconsistent for my tastes. It's still early and there is plenty of time to get the ship righted but for now this team can be very frustrating to watch at times.
Psychlone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GDR on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:28 am

Pen48guins wrote:Big Mac got a whole 2:03 of ice time!

Pretty sure he has as many fights as I do this year in the NHL, which would be zero. He serves no purpose on the NHL roster and anybody in the entire organization - NHL, AHL, or ECHL would be better served getting time in the lineup over him. His presence tonight did absolutely nothing to prevent Staal from getting knee-on-kneed by Hartnell or slashed by Timonen. Neither one of those guys are going to fight him and the Flyers don't dress a "heavyweight/goon" anymore. Asham can answer the bell if it needs to be answered and provide a modicum of skill to go with it, which is what the "goon" role has evolved into.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:34 am

crokin wrote:Not to complain, but it is somewhat alarming that we've played 3 top teams in the past week and lost all three handidly.
Yeh, we beat the Caps but as of today the Caps are a 3rd place team.
I guess as well, we can factor in no Tanger or Z, but Philly was without Pronger.

I'm not sure what 'handidly' means if 2 out of 3 were one-goal-games.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:41 am

2nd straight game Pascal Dupuis is quoted as saying the pens wasted 2 periods.

"We [threw] away two periods there," winger Pascal Dupuis said. "Played for 20 [minutes], and almost got it back. It shows that we need a better effort for 60."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11343/11 ... z1g34erBbI
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:42 am

penny lane wrote:2nd straight game Pascal Dupuis is quoted as saying the pens wasted 2 periods.

"We [threw] away two periods there," winger Pascal Dupuis said. "Played for 20 [minutes], and almost got it back. It shows that we need a better effort for 60."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11343/11 ... z1g34erBbI

I feel like they've said this 4-5 times already this season.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins