The Christensen Factor

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

agree

Postby FuturePens on Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:46 am

I agree with you as I always thought that he was a really good player. He conviced me as far back as in Novemeber when he scored the tieing goal late 3rd period vs. the Islanders at home to send the game into OT.
He has the goods that many of the rookies in our lineup do not have. He should never have to play another AHL game again as we should focus locking him up as our future 3rd line center assuming Malkin will come. If Malkin happens not to come I want to see him in the top line with Crosby for the rest of the season, worst case Scenerio 2nd line C.

. Whatever the case, please CP, do not upset me again with more pathetic decisions, I really enjoy seeing the Pens on the ESPN highlights on occation!!!
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:37 am

Christensen did play extremely well early in his recall, but at the time he was sent back, he was invisible. Whether that was confidence, him not being used properly, or some other factor, I don't know.

He went back, played well and got back here, though that was partially due to the Endicott injury.

My question is not why Christensen got sent down, but why Endicott and Whitney were kept up even though they struggled as much as Christensen (last night aside for Whitney).
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:10 am

netwolf wrote:My question is not why Christensen got sent down, but why Endicott and Whitney were kept up even though they struggled as much as Christensen (last night aside for Whitney).

For some reason, I truly think they are afraid they may lose Endicott on waivers. Why, I have no idea. As for Whitney, we don't have any better options on defense right now. I think its better to just let him work through his growing pains this year than shuttle him up and down. Last night, he got it. Hopefully he will build on that going forward.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: The Christensen Factor

Postby NIN on Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:29 am

Tikkanen wrote:So is EC developing into a leader here? Is this kid ever going to get a chance to develop into the player he could become here? I personally think he looks like a Young Sakic. The way he skates, his shifty snap shot, and his positioning makes me think he's got the goods. I dunno about Superstar, but maybe Brind'Amour or Francis type...he's definitely a top prospect. I don't quite understand why he's being sent down...

Am I romanticizing this story, or is there some creedence to the difference in this team's chemistry when EC is here. Remember, he's the one that opened his mouth up to the press saying that the vets (Recchi) were acting holier than thou and such...

He reminds me of a slower version of Petr Nedved but with more gusto.

EC was sent down because he WANTS to be a Joe Skaic at the NHL level. He demands that from himself. He said his confidence was shot and he wanted ro find his scoring touch. I think it was as much EC's discission as it was the coaches, bassed on the articles I read anyways.

As for being an inspriation for the team I think there is something to it but your blowing it way out of proprtion. He is a talented hockey player and therefore makes the team better and increases the odds of winning. IN the locker room I dont know if he is standing up and giving some inspirational speech about his dad driving him to practice with a ham bone lodged in his ear. The Pens might have won this game without his pressence because they have showed absolutley NO HEART for so long that im sure somebody (Patrick perhaps) may have ripped it out of them.
I think Christensen has definately made a difference but he alone doesnt explain why they go from not caring to caring.
NIN

Postby RW on Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:44 am

Yeah, I'm not sure if it can be entirely attributed to EC, BUT...

When EC plays, the Pens are 11-15-4
When EC does not play, the Pens are 2-19-7

These numbers mostly coincide with the fact that he wasn't here for these past 18 games, but hey...the numbers are the numbers...
RW

Postby RW on Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:50 am

On the other hand...

When Endicott plays, the Pens are 5-22-5
When Endicott does not play, the Pens are 8-12-6
RW

Postby netwolf on Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:17 pm

Pitts wrote:For some reason, I truly think they are afraid they may lose Endicott on waivers. Why, I have no idea. As for Whitney, we don't have any better options on defense right now. I think its better to just let him work through his growing pains this year than shuttle him up and down. Last night, he got it. Hopefully he will build on that going forward.

The same thing crossed my mind. They exposed Koltsov to waivers and though neither player would be a huge loss right now, I think Koltsov has more value now and has a higher ceiling.

As for Whitney, last night would certainly prove your point, but he had been so bad for so long, I would have sent him down to get his confidence back and taken a look at Noah Welch. I don't necessarily think Welch is NHL ready, but I do think he's earned a look. Maybe he's ready, maybe he isn't, but it's not like you're jeopardizing you playoff chances.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: The Christensen Factor

Postby HomerPenguin on Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:01 pm

Tikkanen wrote:I dunno about Superstar, but maybe Brind'Amour or Francis type

I agree with everything you wrote except the implication that Ron Francis was not a superstar on the ice. He wasn't flashy about it, but there wasn't much that he didn't do.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MrKnowNothing on Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:45 pm

netwolf wrote:
Pitts wrote:For some reason, I truly think they are afraid they may lose Endicott on waivers. Why, I have no idea. As for Whitney, we don't have any better options on defense right now. I think its better to just let him work through his growing pains this year than shuttle him up and down. Last night, he got it. Hopefully he will build on that going forward.

The same thing crossed my mind. They exposed Koltsov to waivers and though neither player would be a huge loss right now, I think Koltsov has more value now and has a higher ceiling.

As for Whitney, last night would certainly prove your point, but he had been so bad for so long, I would have sent him down to get his confidence back and taken a look at Noah Welch. I don't necessarily think Welch is NHL ready, but I do think he's earned a look. Maybe he's ready, maybe he isn't, but it's not like you're jeopardizing you playoff chances.

The problem with that is that you don't want to screw up Welch by putting him in an environment he isn't quite ready for.

As someone who followed Whitney pretty closely, he proved all he can prove in the AHL. Welch is probably quickly on that path, and will be over it once he gets playoff experience, but until then, it's best not to risk it, IMO.

I think they should call Welch up at the end of the season to get his feet wet a little bit and as a reward, but at this point let him keep on being WBS' #1 defenseman and ride the wave of confidence through the summer into next year's camp.

As for Christensen, I think he might be being overrated a little bit. He's certainly got skills and probably belonds in the NHL right now, but I wouldn't label him as star calibre right now. With his talent, he's got a high ceiling, but as with most young players, he needs to hit his stride of what kind of NHL player he can be consistently.
MrKnowNothing

Postby netwolf on Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:49 pm

Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about bringing Welch up for good. My thinking was Whitney was struggling, so send him down for a week or too to get back in the groove. Call up Welch to fill in during that time and to reward him for a good 1st pro season so far. Let him get a taste so he has a better idea of what to expect when he gets the call next time.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

haha

Postby FuturePens on Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:23 am

When Endicott plays it is just like a automatic 60 minute Power Play for the other team, how could you possibly win?
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby gregill96 on Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:27 pm

EC has potential but currently he still needs much development. I think he performs much better when he plays around 17 minutes a game. He's the type of player that needs confidence from the coach. When he was up with the Pens and Therrein played him 8 or 9 minutes EC was nearly invisible on the ice. I think there's definitely room for him on the top 2 lines.
People blame CP for his poor drafting over the 90s but what's overlooked is our horrible development of prospects. I think many other teams would have fired CP by now. The guy's whole reputation is built on what he did in the early 90s.
gregill96

Postby BritishPenguin on Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:28 pm

The last few weeks of the season could be used to experiment, therefore Christensen should get a good run in the team. He looks a decent prospect and I reckon he could seize his chance.
BritishPenguin

Postby netwolf on Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:11 pm

gregill96 wrote:EWhen he was up with the Pens and Therrein played him 8 or 9 minutes EC was nearly invisible on the ice.

Early in his recall, he was getting more minutes. His played began to slip, then his ice time followed and eventually he was sent back down. It's not a big deal; happens to young players all the time.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins