OFFICIAL GDT: PENGUINS v. CAPITALS 1/11/12

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENGUINS v. CAPITALS 1/11/12

Postby nocera on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:05 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:If the team was completely healthy and was in the process of losing 6 in a row, I'd be way more miffed than I am now. Right now I just feel complete disbelief that this is happening.

Yup. I really have no anger at all. It's more frustration for the situation. This is what realistically should've happened last year after everybody went down with injuries. What are you going to do? When the second line is Dupuis - Jeffrey - Kennedy, you can't really complain about the team not scoring.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby spiritfan on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:06 pm

debbie downer wears a blue shirt and leans forward in her seat
spiritfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:06 pm

I am so just incredibly happy that we passed over Jagr for that high priority player in TK.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:06 pm

I thought the Pens got manhandled for stretches tonight..

Shea Weber has more points than James Neal over the past 30 days :pop:
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jimreb on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:07 pm

Waffles wrote:
jimreb wrote:
Waffles wrote:You guys are seriously overreacting.

It's a six game losing streak...when do you start to overreact?

First of all, you cannot tell me with a straight face that the team on the ice tonight resembled the one the last five games.

Second, I overreact when I think there's a reason to actually be worried. Maybe I'm too much of an optimist, but I started watching as many games as I could in the 02-03 season, and this is nowhere near that bad. Letang should be skating next week, neal is still playing, and malkin is still dominant.

Third, if Vokoun didn't play out of this world, you cannot expect me to believe the Penguins don't at least tie this game. The effort tonight was very different from the past five games. It was for 60 minutes, and consistent. Sometimes, the bounces don't go your way, and that's just how it is.

I don't mean to come across as hyper-aggressive against you personally, I'm just baffled at the debbie downer mentality on the board. Sometimes more shows on the ice than the scoreboard, and this is case in point of that.

Just my two cents.

I wasn't taking personally...I agree the effort was much better tonight...but it was still another regulation loss...you can't lose six straight games in regulation in this league...you just can't...things are way too bunched up and you drop in a hurry.....It's six games, I think it's time to start overreacting that's just me.
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:07 pm

sniper wrote:Pens are beating themselves. Every game they give the other team at least one goal. Then they make the other goalie look like a first-ballot hall of famer.

Fixed
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby GDR on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:07 pm

Without Semin messing up about 3 or 4 times it would have been way worse. 1-0 wasn't indicative of the game IMO. The Pens played hard after the bogus penalty on Dupuis but Washington controlled things in the 3rd up to that point.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:07 pm

When do the Pens get a game against a combination of Patrick Roy/Robert Vezina/Jaques Plante?

Everyone they play is just that damn good.

Or we are just that damn bad. Makes me wish I could play goal, I could turn a game against the Pens into a million dollar nest egg.
BurghThing
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:07 pm

Good game tonight. Stings a lot more than it should because it was 6th loss in a row but not a badgame for us. Need scoring help asap
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby farnham16 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:08 pm

The effort was a lot better tonight but still, there is never an excuse for losing six regulation games in a row. I still see absolutely no adjustment by Bylsma right now. His offensive system is just not working with the players the Pens have right now.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jimreb on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:08 pm

and it's just the six game losing streak, it's the teams they're losing to....Flyers, Rangers, Devils twice and now the Caps...man I hate losing to those teams more.
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:09 pm

spiritfan wrote:debbie downer wears a blue shirt and leans forward in her seat

Does Debbie Downer say anything after leaning forward?
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel87 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:09 pm

No Isles until March, but we do have the Canes next Tuesday.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby HockeyDaddy on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:09 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:I am so just incredibly happy that we passed over Jagr for that high priority player in TK.

This.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Waffles on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:09 pm

jimreb wrote:
Waffles wrote:
jimreb wrote:
Waffles wrote:You guys are seriously overreacting.

It's a six game losing streak...when do you start to overreact?

First of all, you cannot tell me with a straight face that the team on the ice tonight resembled the one the last five games.

Second, I overreact when I think there's a reason to actually be worried. Maybe I'm too much of an optimist, but I started watching as many games as I could in the 02-03 season, and this is nowhere near that bad. Letang should be skating next week, neal is still playing, and malkin is still dominant.

Third, if Vokoun didn't play out of this world, you cannot expect me to believe the Penguins don't at least tie this game. The effort tonight was very different from the past five games. It was for 60 minutes, and consistent. Sometimes, the bounces don't go your way, and that's just how it is.

I don't mean to come across as hyper-aggressive against you personally, I'm just baffled at the debbie downer mentality on the board. Sometimes more shows on the ice than the scoreboard, and this is case in point of that.

Just my two cents.

I wasn't taking personally...I agree the effort was much better tonight...but it was still another regulation loss...you can't lose six straight games in regulation in this league...you just can't...things are way too bunched up and you drop in a hurry.....It's six games, I think it's time to start overreacting that's just me.

I agree it's been time to start worrying, but this is the first thing I've actually been pleased with since the start of the streak. I understand what matters are results, but I hold a lot of weight in the old Bill Clement quote on streaks, "You know you're about to get hot when you lose games you should win, and you know you're in trouble when you win games you should lose."

Tonight's game was the former, and an identical effort will hopefully yield a better result on Friday.

P.S. that Clement quote was a paraphrase, for any nitpickers ;)
Last edited by Waffles on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waffles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:09 pm

It's bizarre that the top line still remains intact. Separate all three of me for a period. Can't be any worse.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jimreb on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:10 pm

Daniel87 wrote:No Isles until March, but we do have the Canes next Tuesday.

Unfortunately, I think the Canes are thinking, at least we have the Pens next Tuesday
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BurghThing on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:12 pm

6 goals in 6 games. Why exactly do we pay these forwards again?
BurghThing
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:12 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:If the team was completely healthy and was in the process of losing 6 in a row, I'd be way more miffed than I am now. Right now I just feel complete disbelief that this is happening.

Totally agree and you can't lose perspective. There have been breaks in every game that have gone the other way. Johnson killed any chance they had last night and tonight Malkin makes one mistake and it ends up being the winner. Brodeur and Lundquist had great games with some really big saves in them and Vokoun had a few tonight plus a break on Jeffries' chance.

The bottom line is that they are not scoring. It isn't, as some have suggested, a lack of effort.

Tonight, down only one, they tried to stay patient and began pressing at the end as they should have. The "way to turn it on at the end" crowd needs to tell me how a team can play that desperate for 60 minutes and come out ahead. That way of playing early on is more likely to result in a sound defeat with a rash of odd man rushes if the other team isn't collapsed into their own zone like they do at the end protecting a lead.

I swear some folks have no idea what they are talking about and want to blame anything for the fact that the Pens are not getting breaks anywhere from anyone right now.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:13 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:I am so just incredibly happy that we passed over Jagr for that high priority player in TK.

is that really how you see what happened with jagr, or are you just saying weird things because you're mad?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jimreb on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:13 pm

DelPen wrote:It's bizarre that the top line still remains intact. Separate all three of me for a period. Can't be any worse.

It can't hurt, the sad part is I can't even think of a logical answer to get out of this funk.....I'm just beaten down right now with this team and it's bad luck.....I feel like it's 2004 or the early 80's where I just accept the losing now and this feeling has all happened in a span of about two weeks.....it sucks, it's like where did this season go?
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby profpolisci on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:16 pm

profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby offsides on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:16 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
I swear some folks have no idea what they are talking about and want to blame anything for the fact that the Pens are not getting breaks anywhere from anyone right now.

I consider it more a case of talent and effort not breaks. Good teams can overcome bad breaks. We used to be able to.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jimreb on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:18 pm

After reading the breakaway book....I blame it on making a deal with devil to get this arena built and now it's payback time :twisted:
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:19 pm

shmenguin wrote:

is that really how you see what happened with jagr, or are you just saying weird things because you're mad?

I see things that Shero had indicated that he wanted TK moreso than Jagr, which is where Jagr's money went. TK is a bum.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins