AO suspended 3 games - Michalek 0 games

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Michalek and AO to have hearings on Monday

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:40 am

newarenanow wrote:I say at the most, 1 game for each.

AO should get more for being a repeat offender.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFaninRegina on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:42 am

Z - $2500 fine or 1 game suspension (mostly because he's not a repeat offender)
Ovy - 2 games max. I think it deserves more, but he is a superstar, and thus will get off easy.
Last edited by PensFaninRegina on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
PensFaninRegina
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:55 am

If AO gets suspended through the All Star game, can he play? If not, there's no way he gets anything more than the number of games the Caps have before the break.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dan Da Man on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:01 am

On that Overchicken hit. Could you imagine if that was Cook charging, leaving his
feet and a heat shot all in one play. He'd be gone for 10 and a fine. Bet OV gets a pass or a slap on the wrist.
Dan Da Man

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:09 am

I think they should both be suspended. Ovechkin charged and gave a headshot. Michalek boarded and elbowed the head.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:11 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I think they should both be suspended. Ovechkin charged and gave a headshot. Michalek boarded and elbowed the head.

Brendan Shanaban needs to become more consistent on these.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bab81 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:11 am

isn't the rule that the head cant be the principal point of contact? if so, are we all really homer enough to say that Michalek shouldnt be suspended?
bab81
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:21 am

Has Michalek ever been suspended before?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:33 am

bab81 wrote:isn't the rule that the head cant be the principal point of contact? if so, are we all really homer enough to say that Michalek shouldnt be suspended?

Michalek's hit was filthy...we would all be screaming bloody murder if that hit was on someone on our own team. I hope they punish Ovechkin adequately, but I have absolutely no issue with Z getting a game (even if he is a first-time offender)
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:36 am

Anyone with a video of Z's hit?
I missed the game and won't be able to watch it until after work.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby guiner on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:39 am

columbia wrote:Anyone with a video of Z's hit?
I missed the game and won't be able to watch it until after work.

I just happened to go find it given these posts. I was wrong, his elbow is away from his body, its worse than I thought live.

guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:41 am

Thanks....

1-2 games?
OV should get 4 for his.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:43 am

I think Michalek should be suspended. Looks like he led with his elbow and drove the head of someone into the boards from behind. Since he's on the Pens, I definitely think he'll get suspended.

I think OV will get suspended too but likely not as many games as he should considering how many times he's done dangerous things like that. Two games tops for him, possibly only one if his being suspended would preclude him from playing in the AS game. They don't have the guts to force him out of the AS game due to a suspension.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:45 am

Isn't Ovechkin a repeat offender? Didn't he get suspended twice last year?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:47 am

The Michalek hit reminded me of the hedman hit on Crosby. I don't remember him getting any suspension. I know the regime is different, though.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:57 am

Michalek hit is dirty, but yet again its a case of the offensive player putting himself into a vulnerable position. The game is played at an incredible rate of speed and decisions are split second, but this is textbook what they want to get out of the game. They want the defenders to play more conservatively and not play the body in situations like that. Flip of the coin though, in my opinion, is that they continue to allow defensemen to get pounded by the forecheck on dump-ins.

AO's was worse in my opinion because he charges, jumps, targets head. And he does it continuously. Remember 24/7 last year, the ref warned him about jumping during the classic. They need(ed) to start giving him a minor for that crap years ago and maybe he would change. Instead I'm sure he has been given warning after warning without learning a thing.

1 for Michalek
AO will get as many as the caps have before the ASG cause they wont hold him out of it (if thats how it works)
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:10 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:I say at the most, 1 game for each.

AO should get more for being a repeat offender.

He should. But this is the stupid NHL making the decisions.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:11 pm

Michalek's comments that he was angry and it could have led to his hit on Hendricks aren't going to help him, and pretty much invalidate any argument that Hendricks is somehow at fault, imo.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:15 pm

I never like the argument that someone put himself in a vulnerable position and thus is fair game. It's one thing if a guy were to duck his head at the last second and that causes a bad hit that wouldn't have otherwise happened. But in Michalek's case, he had plenty of time to change his plan of hitting, and in fact he has his elbow extended out as he comes in to make contact. There's never excuse for that IMO.

This all is an example of how bad officiating creates these kinds of situations. If they had just penalized Ovechkin for his hit, it's possible Michalek's never happens. But since they let OV get away with it, maybe that causes Michalek to take matters into his own hands and put a dirty hit on one of their guys in revenge. Perfect example of why the referees, not the players, should be policing the game. Maybe if they had penalized Ovechkin for this hits a long time ago, he might have gotten the message by now and neither event would have happened yesterday.
Last edited by Henry Hank on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:15 pm

pfim wrote:Michalek's comments that he was angry and it could have led to his hit on Hendricks aren't going to help him, and pretty much invalidate any argument that Hendricks is somehow at fault, imo.

Yea, he admitted it was a bad and illegal hit. I think the only case he could really make is if that hit was the direct reason because he was hit by AO and not penalized.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:17 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I never like the argument that someone put himself in a vulnerable position and thus is fair game. It's one thing if a guy were to duck his head at the last second and that causes a bad hit that wouldn't have otherwise happened. But in Michalek's case, he had plenty of time to change his plan of hitting, and in fact he has his elbow extended out as he comes in to make contact. There's never excuse for that IMO.

This all is an example of how bad officiating creates these kinds of situations. If they had just penalized Ovechkin for his hit, it's possible Michalek's never happens. But since they let OV get away with it, maybe that causes Michalek to take matters into his own hands and put a dirty hit on one of their guys in revenge. Perfect example of why the referees, not the players, should be policing the game. Maybe if they had penalized Ovechkin for this hits a long time ago, he might have gotten the message by now and neither event would have happened yesterday.

I've always likened that "player did something stupid that got himself hurt" argument to the "but you stopped at a yellow light and it was your fault I rear ended you" argument.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jamie on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:33 pm

I do not believe Ovenchiken can be considered a repeat offendor. He was last suspended in March of 2010. Once 18 months passes and the player has no incidents of fines or suspension he shall be treated as a first time offendor. I think both players deserve 1-2 games, and call it a day.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:36 pm

I think the league will be smart enough to ensure that Michalek gets no further discipline than Ovechkin. So both will get off easy. I'm guessing a fine for both.

If that game wasn't nationally televised, there is no hearing for either of them.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:36 pm

Jamie wrote:I do not believe Ovenchiken can be considered a repeat offendor. He was last suspended in March of 2010. Once 18 months passes and the player has no incidents of fines or suspension he shall be treated as a first time offendor. I think both players deserve 1-2 games, and call it a day.

That just matters in terms of the pay he would lose. Something about losing pay based on games rather than days. I don't really understand it. But from what I understand, Ovechkin will still be considered a repeat offender in terms of how that factors into a potential suspension from yesterday's hit.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the riddler on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:46 pm

Bad decision by Michalek to make that hit. This is what happens when the referees don't control the game. I wonder if Michalek would have made that hit if they would have called a penalty on Ovechkin.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins