AO suspended 3 games - Michalek 0 games

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Michalek and AO to have hearings on Monday

Postby bab81 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:03 pm

For anyone who believes Michalek shouldnt be suspended or ends there answer with "...BUT OVIE SHOULD BE SUSPENDED DOUBLE", just think if Crosby was on the end of the Michalek check. We'd be screaming for a 5 game suspension. It's the exact principal head contact hit that the NHL is trying to get rid of.
bab81
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:09 pm

bab81 wrote:For anyone who believes Michalek shouldnt be suspended or ends there answer with "...BUT OVIE SHOULD BE SUSPENDED DOUBLE", just think if Crosby was on the end of the Michalek check. We'd be screaming for a 5 game suspension. It's the exact principal head contact hit that the NHL is trying to get rid of.

you're saying that every hit to the head should be treated equally to prove that no one is a homer. ok.

ovechkin's hit was worse. he's a repeat offender. he should be punished more severely. your quest to rid the world of evil homerism is ignoring some pretty basic logic.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bab81 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:16 pm

shmenguin wrote:
bab81 wrote:For anyone who believes Michalek shouldnt be suspended or ends there answer with "...BUT OVIE SHOULD BE SUSPENDED DOUBLE", just think if Crosby was on the end of the Michalek check. We'd be screaming for a 5 game suspension. It's the exact principal head contact hit that the NHL is trying to get rid of.

you're saying that every hit to the head should be treated equally to prove that no one is a homer. ok.

ovechkin's hit was worse. he's a repeat offender. he should be punished more severely. your quest to rid the world of evil homerism is ignoring some pretty basic logic.

worse in what way? michalek got his head taken off, michalek took someones head off. And are we sure ovie is an official 'repeat'? i cant remember when he was suspended last.
bab81
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bab81 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:17 pm

shmenguin wrote:

oh and yes, when head shots are treated on an equal playing field, when they are ALL suspended (and not for 1 or 2 games, for 5 at least), most of these hits will go away.
bab81
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:17 pm

bab81 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

worse in what way? michalek got his head taken off, michalek took someones head off. And are we sure ovie is an official 'repeat'? i cant remember when he was suspended last.

worse in the way that an objective party with 1-2 working eyes would say, "that's worse".
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bab81 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:18 pm

shmenguin wrote:
bab81 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

worse in the way that an objective party with 1-2 working eyes would say, "that's worse".

oh okay, well that sounds like a perfect way of dealing out suspensions. Much like the way the NHL procedure works now...you know, the one we cant stand
bab81
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby westside on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:19 pm

bab81 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

OV was suspended when he hit Campbell into the boards while Campbell was still with Chicago....

As for the hits... they are both the exact type of hit the NHL 'says' they want to get rid of. Given OV is a repeat offender AND left his feet before he hit Z, he should get at least 4 IMO. Z should get at least a fine and if he gets a game, I won't be totally shocked.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:22 pm

any updates or still speculation?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:25 pm

the force and the height in which ovechkin made contact with michalek's head make it "worse". better? the effort it took (including him intentionally leaving his skates) also contribute.

shanahan is going to have to get concrete material to put in his stupid little videos, so he might struggle to find ways to explain why ovechkin's was worse. this is problematic, since it's just common sense which one deserves harsher punishment. but because he needs to verbalize it, he'll just cop out and give them both similar punishments and label them the same hit.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens#1 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:32 pm

since OVY is a "repeat offender" shouldnt that weigh in on the decision?
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby demangone on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:50 pm

'Alex Ovechkin no commented through the questions about the hit on Zbynek Michalek. "It was a hit. I don’t want to comment my hit." #Caps'

https://twitter.com/#!/kcarrera/status/161499209785282560
demangone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby drtofu66 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:58 pm

They're going after a 50-50 puck; Z's actually a bit ahead of Hendricks until they reach the dot when Hendricks gains a step (serious question: is Hendricks that fast? Or is Z taking care to not put himself into a vulnerable position?). Z's elbow is out but it looks like it's to brace for impact on the boards. That sounds like an excuse but isn't this on par with flaring your arm out and making contact with another player's head in a "get out of my way, I have to get up ice" kind of way (which the league decided was not punishable)?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9666 ... matt-cooke

I think Shannan will say:
-no malicious intent on Z's part
-no injury on the play
-a penalty was correctly assessed
-contact to the head was made
-Z's elbow is away from his body
-Z's lack of prior history of disciplinary action

Debatable points:
-if Hendricks put himself in a vulnerable position or if Z could have made another play
-whether Hendricks changes his position that put himself in danger at the last moment
-if Z's elbow is out to brace for impact with the boards vs to lay a check
-if no penalty being called on OV 4 minutes prior is going to be a factor

I hope it's just a fine, but if Z is suspended Shannahan witll have to make a video and explain this one (small consolation).
drtofu66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:05 pm

Z clearly put his elbow up and smashed Hendricks head against the glass lol.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:11 pm

"I know that I made a bad play and maybe I was still a little bit mad about the hit before. That's how it is"

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12023/12 ... z1kJ2XUuWI

Guys, there's nothing debatable about the hit. You can debate whether or not he'll get a suspension based on his lack of history, but the hit was bad, numbers were clearly there to see, he crashed his head into the boards with his forearm, and he admits that the OV hit was in the back of his mind when he approached Hendricks.

If Hendricks doesn't get right back up, it's 5 and a game.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby marek on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:22 pm

Z clearly lined him up, skated with intent, left his feet and launched himself into hendricks head... on the other hand Ovechkin would never do something like that.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:30 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:Z clearly put his elbow up and smashed Hendricks head against the glass lol.

I had a pretty good view at the game of both hits, I sat right in that corner where it happened. I thought both players could have been assessed 5 and a game for elbowing. Very similar hits.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MrBrightside on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:30 pm

It's a bad hit by Z and I wouldn't have a big issue if he gets a game or two, but this highlights the abysmal officiating in the NHL. If Ovechkin gets suspended, this will be the 3rd time in Penguin games alone that someone threw a hit that led to a suspension that the referees on the ice did nothing at all about (Engelland and Pacioretty being the others). If the officials had simply made the call on Ovechkin and given him 5 and a game (or probably even if they'd given him 2), I don't think Z does that.
MrBrightside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Streaks House on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:32 pm

MrBrightside wrote:It's a bad hit by Z and I wouldn't have a big issue if he gets a game or two, but this highlights the abysmal officiating in the NHL. If Ovechkin gets suspended, this will be the 3rd time in Penguin games alone that someone threw a hit that led to a suspension that the referees on the ice did nothing at all about (Engelland and Pacioretty being the others). If the officials had simply made the call on Ovechkin and given him 5 and a game (or probably even if they'd given him 2), I don't think Z does that.

At what point do officials become responsible for non-action? There needs to be some accountability on that end too if players are asked to be accountable for avoiding hits to the head, dangerous checks, etc. With the inconsistency by the Department of Player Safety, it wouldn't be a shock that players and officials have no clue what's acceptable.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:52 pm

Streaks House wrote:
MrBrightside wrote:It's a bad hit by Z and I wouldn't have a big issue if he gets a game or two, but this highlights the abysmal officiating in the NHL. If Ovechkin gets suspended, this will be the 3rd time in Penguin games alone that someone threw a hit that led to a suspension that the referees on the ice did nothing at all about (Engelland and Pacioretty being the others). If the officials had simply made the call on Ovechkin and given him 5 and a game (or probably even if they'd given him 2), I don't think Z does that.

At what point do officials become responsible for non-action? There needs to be some accountability on that end too if players are asked to be accountable for avoiding hits to the head, dangerous checks, etc. With the inconsistency by the Department of Player Safety, it wouldn't be a shock that players and officials have no clue what's acceptable.

Even though I have defended them in some instances, officiating in the NHL (much less all sports) is a complete joke. Biases develop which completely impact the way games get officiated. Remember on 24/7 Flyers-Rangers when Talbot got a penalty for a number of hits that "built on each other". WTF is that?

If Hendricks had thrown the same hit on Z that Ovy did, I bet he'd get a 5.

If Z hadn't just taken an elbow to the head before committing one of his own, I bet he'd have gotten a 5.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens#1 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:57 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Z clearly put his elbow up and smashed Hendricks head against the glass lol.

I had a pretty good view at the game of both hits, I sat right in that corner where it happened. I thought both players could have been assessed 5 and a game for elbowing. Very similar hits.

i was there also row q in section 108
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Beech_is_God on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:32 pm

Listening to Kerry Fraser on NHL Home Ice from earlier today. He thinks Ovechkin's hit is suspendable (left his feet and head contact). Thinks Z will get a fine or no suspension. Said Hendricks was low and changed his position.

http://www.xmhomeice.com/onair_audio/12 ... %20Ref.mp3

Also talks about Subban's slew foot, Ference suspension, and other things. Good listen.
Beech_is_God
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:36 pm

Beech_is_God wrote:Listening to Kerry Fraser on NHL Home Ice from earlier today. He thinks Ovechkin's hit is suspendable (left his feet and head contact). Thinks Z will get a fine or no suspension. Said Hendricks was low and changed his position.

http://www.xmhomeice.com/onair_audio/12 ... %20Ref.mp3

Also talks about Subban's slew foot, Ference suspension, and other things. Good listen.

I can't pull that up at work. What's he say about the slew foot?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby drtofu66 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:48 pm

newarenanow wrote:I can't pull that up at work. What's he say about the slew foot?

Called it a 'nasty play', a 'dirty play' when players are that close to the boards. Recalled reffing a game where a guy (Pat Peek?) went feet first into the boards after his skate got hit on an icing play, shattered his heel, and needed many surgeries and had to retire. Kunitz could have easily snapped an ankle. Believed PK should have been reprimanted for it. That was the end of the PK comment.
drtofu66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:20 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
pfim wrote:Michalek's comments that he was angry and it could have led to his hit on Hendricks aren't going to help him, and pretty much invalidate any argument that Hendricks is somehow at fault, imo.

Yea, he admitted it was a bad and illegal hit. I think the only case he could really make is if that hit was the direct reason because he was hit by AO and not penalized.

This.

"It was a good call, but my question is, why didn't they call a penalty on [Ovechkin]?" Michalek said. "Make it even. Call everybody the same way. That way we don't have any problems like that.

"I know that I made a bad play and maybe I was still a little bit mad about the hit before. That's how it is. It's not the first time [Ovechkin] hit me or hit somebody else like that. Some players are more protected than others. It should be an even field.

"I just told the ref that if he makes a call on me, he should have made a call on him, too. It should be even no matter who makes the hit."

Michalek, who missed 10 games because of a concussion earlier this season, said he felt two impacts on Ovechkin's hit -- from the player and against the boards. When he landed on his back, his head snapped forward, but did not strike the ice. He said he was "a bit shaken up" initially but quickly felt fine.

"I have to be honest -- I have to [be aware] when I see him coming, but he cannot leave his feet like that and just go for my head," Michalek said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12023/12 ... z1kJoXme00

I think the comments about superstar treatment will unfortunately factor into his punishment. Can't be criticizing the league, now can we?

Allan Walsh will explode on Twitter if Michalek gets suspended.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:30 pm

I think the whole "superstar protection" thing is going to come to a head sooner or later. If you're going to seriously preach that you care about head shots and player's safety. It shouldn't matter who it is, it all needs regulated the same.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins