Official GDT: Penguins vs. Rangers 21/2/2012

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Penguins vs. Rangers 21/2/2012

Postby columbia on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:53 pm

<grits teeth>
That was probably Tangradi's most effective game.
</grits teeth>
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby sil on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:58 pm

Happy with the win...but curses to those dumbbutt Canadian teams (Toronto and Winnipeg) for blowing it in OT tonight.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens#1 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:00 pm

sil wrote:Happy with the win...but curses to those dumbbutt Canadian teams (Toronto and Winnipeg) for blowing it in OT tonight.

6th seed would be fine with me
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:02 pm

pens#1 wrote:
sil wrote:Happy with the win...but curses to those dumbbutt Canadian teams (Toronto and Winnipeg) for blowing it in OT tonight.

IN round one...yep. In rounds 2 and 3...eh, not so much.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens#1 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:05 pm

sil wrote:
pens#1 wrote:

IN round one...yep. In rounds 2 and 3...eh, not so much.

assuming the Bruins and Rangers win Rd 1 then it really doesnt matter. IMO the 6 seed will have the best matchup based on the SE division being crappy- real crappy
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ILikeTurtles on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:21 pm

Tangradi had 5:39 of ice time. Jeffrey must have really made HCDB pretty angry.
Last edited by ILikeTurtles on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:25 pm

Speaking of ice time. Martin played more tonight than Niskanen has in the last two games combined. Pretty good indication that they're not going to consider moving PM to make room for MN to play more.

The Rangers don't scare me if the Pens get Crosby back (or make a move for another scorer). I don't think their style is going to get them far in the playoffs. Teams that don't score a lot and spend a lot of time in their own end can only get so far with that style.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:38 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Speaking of ice time. Martin played more tonight than Niskanen has in the last two games combined. Pretty good indication that they're not going to consider moving PM to make room for MN to play more.

The Rangers don't scare me if the Pens get Crosby back (or make a move for another scorer). I don't think their style is going to get them far in the playoffs. Teams that don't score a lot and spend a lot of time in their own end can only get so far with that style.

Martin was very good tonight. And while it is unlikely that they will change the top 4 before the playoffs, I do look for Niskanen to be traded, as they won't be able to afford him in the offseason anyways. As far as the Rangers go, they just don't have enough guys who can move the puck well. They would be very tough in a 7 game series, but in the end I agree with you, their style will be their undoing when they play a good defensive opponent who has more firepower. Tonight, the Penguins were that team.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:46 pm

I wouldn't underestimate the Rangers. They have the goaltending and the D that can take you very far. If they get another scoring winger at the deadline they look like a pretty good team to me.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:49 pm

Damn, that was a solid dubya tonight
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby marek on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:54 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Speaking of ice time. Martin played more tonight than Niskanen has in the last two games combined. Pretty good indication that they're not going to consider moving PM to make room for MN to play more.

The Rangers don't scare me if the Pens gNet Crosby back (or make a move for another scorer). I don't think their style is going to get them far in the playoffs. Teams that don't score a lot and spend a lot of time in their own end can only get so far with that style.

Best shooting percentage teams in the NHL right now...?!?!?!... Columbus and Tampa bay...

Just sayin hank :)
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:59 pm

The Rangers are like the Devil teams that would have a big regular season and then not go anywhere come playoffs. They have been playing Playoff hockey all year, and Richards is over-rated. Their only real talent is Gaborik. The rest of their lineup is pretty average. They play a hard game and live on their goalie. I don't think they have another level to go to when every good team ratchets the intensity level.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby letsgoalpens on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:48 pm

The Snapshot wrote:

The Rangers are like the Devil teams that would have a big regular season and then not go anywhere come playoffs. They have been playing Playoff hockey all year, and Richards is over-rated. Their only real talent is Gaborik. The rest of their lineup is pretty average. They play a hard game and live on their goalie. I don't think they have another level to go to when every good team ratchets the intensity level.

Completely agree with you. They don't scare me at all. I'd love for the pens to play them in the playoffs.
letsgoalpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:09 am

I certainly would rather not face the Rangers in the playoffs, they are a very solid team. But they are not as good as the Bruins IMO.

If you look at the big picture, every team has some flaws. The Pens are far and away the best IF they have Sid back and make a move or two at the deadline to add some depth. Philly has goaltending issues, to say the least. The Rangers don't have a defense that is capable of moving the puck well enough for them to score consistently, even if they do add a scoring forward at the deadline. Boston is relying heavily on some rapidly aging players (Chara and Thomas, specifically). All of the teams have issues, and the trade deadline cannot solve them.

If Fleury gets hot and Sid gets healthy, the Pens have a very good shot. On top of that, if Malkin and Neal stay hot and the power play keeps working, they probably have the best shot.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:09 am

The only team in the East that really scares me is New Jersey. They've had the Pens' number for a while now. Then again they've only won two playoff series since the lockout ended.

Boston might be tough but they've slowed down a lot since they went on a ridiculous run earlier in the season and I wonder how much they're going to have in the tank by the playoffs.

The East looks pretty wide open to me. More reason for the Pens to be aggressive before Monday, even if that means putting Crosby on the LTIR, assuming they really have no idea about his status.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby marek on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:21 am

Henry Hank wrote:The only team in the East that really scares me is New Jersey. They've had the Pens' number for a while now. Then again they've only won two playoff series since the lockout ended.

Boston might be tough but they've slowed down a lot since they went on a ridiculous run earlier in the season and I wonder how much they're going to have in the tank by the playoffs.

The East looks pretty wide open to me. More reason for the Pens to be aggressive before Monday, even if that means putting Crosby on the LTIR, assuming they really have no idea about his status.

Sid should be the bigger person here and agree to go ltir... The team's playoff positioning is pretty much set in stone... It has very little chance of either getting a higher or lower seed that really changes things... Him doing so would allow GMRS to allocate $ and get someone to help get this team over the hump... Looking at this team we are literally one/two players away from having the best penguins team EVER. Comparable to 92-93 for christ's sake... And there is no way this team loses to the isles in 7.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:15 am

Good result to wake up to. Good job Pens. :thumb:

Henry Hank wrote:The only team in the East that really scares me is New Jersey. They've had the Pens' number for a while now.

This, this, a thousand times this! Naturally most every team is hard this year in the east.... but I especially want nothing to do with New Jersey! Penguin Kryptonite!
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:50 am

4th line~ jordan/craig adams/park/cooke/tangradi ; these folks did a fab job in houding the rangers. They played solid mins with keeping the puck in the pens zone.

proud of Flower getting his record tying mark! proud of Evgeni and his 300 assist! With Evgeni, at the game, I look up, and Gene is holding a discussion with the referee...he's our leader; mature and confident in all game aspects. He's all grown up! :thumb:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins