5-Oct-06 Official Pens vs Flyers Game Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby The U on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:29 pm

If Staal had scored on that shorthanded breakaway he woulda brought the house down...
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ron` on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:29 pm

Anyone liking this kind of Penguin hockey better? I know I am, these guys are working hard! Can they keep it up for three periods though?
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ziggo on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:29 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:After a slow start, what a great period! Now if we could stay out of the box (Mark Recchi) we'd be fine.

At least Recchi won't be a minus, being in the box all game. :lol:
ziggo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:30 pm

Ron` wrote:Anyone liking this kind of Penguin hockey better? I know I am, these guys are working hard! Can they keep it up for three periods though?

I like it a lot better. Mostly because this is what hockey is supposed to be.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Brode on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:30 pm

The world is such a great place to live in.
Brode

Postby DelPen on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:30 pm

K2 wrote:Dare I say, Staal looks like he belongs

I was very surprised at how well he used his reach and anticipated the play to break up a play veeyr time he's been on the ice. If he gets better defensively then so be it, we will have a monster of a checking center who will just shut teams down. And what I just wrote seems to be the worst case scenriao for him.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:31 pm

Team looks great so far... keep it up!! Boy does this team look different than last year.
FallenHero96
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Brode on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:32 pm

I have the Pens radio on my computer and the Vancouver-Detroit game on my TV. I wouldn't be too worried about Detroit on Saturday, they're circling the drain right now, and it's only halfway through the 2nd.
Brode

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:33 pm

Oh and we also have this other dude named Malkin who isnt even playing tonight, I hear he might be pretty good.
FallenHero96
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Brode on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:33 pm

I heard Staal playing admirably, but a couple of kid mistakes by Letang. It's not his fault, he's ridiculously young to be playing big league hockey, but I think a year in the Q and a year in the A would really hammer out his flaws.
Brode

Postby DelPen on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:34 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:Oh and we also have this other dude named Malkin who isnt even playing tonight, I hear he might be pretty good.

I also hear he is a very good penalty killer. I just hope this team is still in Pittsnburgh in 3 years when all these guys hit their prime.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:35 pm

Brode wrote:I heard Staal playing admirably, but a couple of kid mistakes by Letang. It's not his fault, he's ridiculously young to be playing big league hockey, but I think a year in the Q and a year in the A would really hammer out his flaws.

I think he's been about as good as Jackman and Tarnstorm were last year for us. But the important thing was to get him signed so he does not reneter the draft next year. If that required giving him 9 games than so be it.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:39 pm

Brode wrote:I have the Pens radio on my computer and the Vancouver-Detroit game on my TV. I wouldn't be too worried about Detroit on Saturday, they're circling the drain right now, and it's only halfway through the 2nd.

Just like Dallas was circling the drain last night by midway through the first... ask Colorado how that turned out.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Brode on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:40 pm

Yeah, I watched that game, that was unbelievable. If it wasn't for Turco, that game could've been 6-0 by the 40 minute break.
Brode

Postby tjand72 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:41 pm

Anyone else confused by Balsillie's tie?
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:41 pm

All he's talking about is we need a new arena...and he won't comment on anything if they do not get the slots...all he's saying is we need the slots and i don't think i should speculate on what to do if we don't get it...doesn't sound good to me.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NJ5934 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:42 pm

Daniel87 wrote:All he's talking about is we need a new arena...and he won't comment on anything if they do not get the slots...all he's saying is we need the slots and i don't think i should speculate on what to do if we don't get it...doesn't sound good to me.

His responce to the question about the money down on the Hamilton area was alittle scary to say the least.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jmh470 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:43 pm

Balsille deflected questions about Plan B and Hamilton and then pimped his blackberry on the way out. I'm not encouraged.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:43 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO

WHAT A PERIOD!!

Marc-Andre..."thank God for Marc-Andre."

#7...is that Mullen...no.....Cheechoo??? NOPE it's O-LAY O-LAY O-LAY!!!!

Jim Balsillie is kind of Hanibal Lecter smart but he is definately a focused individual, there is no sign of mental weakness within that large reflective dome.

Great penalty killing! How about that play Moore made to poke a poke a puck around a Flyer and clear it!?!

STAAAALLL OMG he almost got one! He had to wait for Malone to distribute it and Sanderson had built up alittle speed so not many players were going to win that race from a dead stop. Still, I don't think he realized how fast he is. I think Malone waited too long because he doesnt want to get demoted.
NIN

Postby EagleMorph on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:44 pm

Press Conference tidbits:
-Basillie was fairly insistent that the Pens need a new arena ASAP and that he'll work on getting the deal done. He loves the IOC deal and thinks that's the best situation.

-He'll honor the contract with IOC and will work with Plan B as much as the contract will allow, but the commitment is to IOC and they won't turn away from that contract.

-He'll join Steigy and Errey in the booth sometime during the 2nd.

-Laughed off the Hamilton suggestion and refused to talk about conjecture...very much a "one event at a time" guy.
EagleMorph
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sigwolf on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:44 pm

Brode wrote:Yeah, I watched that game, that was unbelievable. If it wasn't for Turco, that game could've been 6-0 by the 40 minute break.

With the exception of Turco, it really looked like the Dallas roster didn't realize the season had started. Things can change quickly, though... something the Pens very much need to keep in mind. Gotta keep the pressure up for all 60 minutes.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ron` on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:46 pm

Well the intermission interview is over. The new owner is very good with his words. "I don't think anyone here doesn't think this should have been settled already" about the new arena. Seems like a very honest guy but also extremely sharp and verbally frank.

All in all, I feel no worse now than last week with the prospects of the Pens staying here. It's all about the politico's now and will they help get this done. If they build it, the fans will come and the Pens stay.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:46 pm

CROSBY 3-0!!!
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kaizer on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:46 pm

oooooooooOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH SIDNEY 3-0
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer