5-Oct-06 Official Pens vs Flyers Game Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Judy on Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:35 pm

Eismann wrote: [

No outdoor/indoor fan events planned, no team-related cook-outs, no bands, no highlight reels, no sponsored congregation at all.

No bands? AMEN!!! That Blue Line band sucked!!

Who needs gimmicks when you have hockey?
Judy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:42 pm

Judy wrote:

No outdoor/indoor fan events planned, no team-related cook-outs, no bands, no highlight reels, no sponsored congregation at all.

sure wish this would include the pet patrol!
:wink:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:46 pm

netwolf wrote:
Peter wrote:This is kinda early for a game thread. I'd say you've gone against tradition. This would never fly at the old board. Now if they lose, you'll be responsible.

We'll have to wait for Rocco to show up with an official ruling...

Stop looking at me like I'm important. You know it makes me nervous.

I don't have stats on this or anything, but whenever the thread is posted a) more than an hour before gametime or b) after the game starts, bad things happen. There are also times where we've tried to go threadless for superstitious, but someone who wants to see his postcount rise will post a thread and screw up the strategy. It's a complicated issue, complicated by the fact that the person who posted this thread thinks Aleksey Morozov is a good NHL player, which makes me question his sanity.

I'm not sure I actually have the power to nullify this as the official thread. That would be like the Supreme Court granting itself a huge power that didn't necessarily have. (Oh, wait. Bad analogy.) Maybe we need to ask RJ who has the power to designate a thread official or not before asking me to do anything.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:11 pm

Rocco wrote:Stop looking at me like I'm important. You know it makes me nervous.

I don't have stats on this or anything, but whenever the thread is posted a) more than an hour before gametime or b) after the game starts, bad things happen. There are also times where we've tried to go threadless for superstitious, but someone who wants to see his postcount rise will post a thread and screw up the strategy. It's a complicated issue, complicated by the fact that the person who posted this thread thinks Aleksey Morozov is a good NHL player, which makes me question his sanity.

I'm not sure I actually have the power to nullify this as the official thread. That would be like the Supreme Court granting itself a huge power that didn't necessarily have. (Oh, wait. Bad analogy.) Maybe we need to ask RJ who has the power to designate a thread official or not before asking me to do anything.

Sorry about that. However, I think that, per board bylaws, you have control over it and the only person that can overrule you is Admin. From http://www.letsgopens.com/insidersguide.php

The Official Thread/Game Thread - The Game Thread started as a way to keep game related posts all in one thread. It has evolved into a baseball like starting rotation where people get the "start" and they keep their record for future starts. Starters can also be relieved when they fail to perform. Really bad performances are sent to Ecuador as per the Admin for their poor performance. Rocco is the manager, and he technically designates who gets starts and who doesn't. The Admin can be seen as the GM and every so often will threaten Rocco's job. The thread title should include the date of the game and the opponent and all game related posts should be kept under it.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:25 pm

netwolf wrote:
Rocco wrote:Stop looking at me like I'm important. You know it makes me nervous.

Sorry about that. However, I think that, per board bylaws, you have control over it and the only person that can overrule you is Admin. From http://www.letsgopens.com/insidersguide.php

The Official Thread/Game Thread - The Game Thread started as a way to keep game related posts all in one thread. It has evolved into a baseball like starting rotation where people get the "start" and they keep their record for future starts. Starters can also be relieved when they fail to perform. Really bad performances are sent to Ecuador as per the Admin for their poor performance. Rocco is the manager, and he technically designates who gets starts and who doesn't. The Admin can be seen as the GM and every so often will threaten Rocco's job. The thread title should include the date of the game and the opponent and all game related posts should be kept under it.

Crap. I need to find a way to have that erased. Also, I'm not sure if we still have the exile hut in Ecuador- I don't think RJ ever got back to me on that. Plus, I think people were tanking games intentionally so they could go back and visit lovers they made from previous exile trips. It's hard to use something as a punishment when people actually want it to happen.

I'm tempted to let it go this time, since there aren't any real rules about the thread written anywhere except in common law and in my head (yeah, why didn't you write that stuff down, eh Three Stars? Too busy pretending to be a doctor or something?) so it's a little unfair to expect someone to know rules that haven't been written. From now on, the official thread can't be posted more than 1 hour before gametime. (I like this whole "power" thing.) How's that sound? Or is it better off if I wield my power and nullify the thread altogether?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:48 pm

Judy wrote:

No, the BLB was very good, you just didn't like what they played.

And I don't call fun, hockey-related activities "gimmicks". It's good business to help entertain fans, and it's done by thousands of businesses every day. That this organ-i-zation has settled on calendar mouse pads - and only calendar mouse pads - as its fan-friendly "appreciation" on opening-blessed-night is pathetic, but typical of how they run public relations. It's the same in dealings with major sponsors as well.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kicksave on Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:57 pm

I'm not getting good vibes from this thread.

All is gone when the respect for the official thread is lost. You can't just throw it up withouth prior acknowledgement from anyone else.

I, for one, will be blaming the whole season on you if we have another bad year.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:59 pm

Eismann wrote:
Judy wrote:

No, the BLB was very good, you just didn't like what they played.

And I don't call fun, hockey-related activities "gimmicks". It's good business to help entertain fans, and it's done by thousands of businesses every day. That this organ-i-zation has settled on calendar mouse pads - and only calendar mouse pads - as its fan-friendly "appreciation" on opening-blessed-night is pathetic, but typical of how they run public relations. It's the same in dealings with major sponsors as well.

Ok, sorry to totally harsh your mellow. I'ts 5 1/2 hours to game-time, and all negative vibes need to be shut off. Game on.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Admin on Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:02 pm

Kicksave wrote:I'm not getting good vibes from this thread.

All is gone when the respect for the official thread is lost. You can't just throw it up withouth prior acknowledgement from anyone else.

I, for one, will be blaming the whole season on you if we have another bad year.

What's done is done. A handy scapegoat is in place. Let's Go Pens!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Zenpen on Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:02 pm

Eismann wrote:No, the BLB was very good, you just didn't like what they played.

I thought they were good except for "Barracuda". I never liked that song. I have to figure out, though, how I will stick a mouse pad schedule on my fridge. I have years of magnet schedules on there and I have to say I am bummed about that one.
Zenpen

Postby saleen66 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:08 pm

Looks like we could get to page 3-4 before the game even starts :roll:
saleen66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:11 pm

Admin wrote:
Kicksave wrote:I'm not getting good vibes from this thread.

What's done is done. A handy scapegoat is in place. Let's Go Pens!

Well, what you say goes, boss. In the future, do we have a 1-hour rule in place? And can I police the thread with an iron hand? And what's the deal w/the exile hut?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:18 pm

There are also times where we've tried to go threadless

Please, nude hockey would not be a pretty sight.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:35 pm

pcm wrote:
There are also times where we've tried to go threadless

Please, nude hockey would not be a pretty sight.

Uh, not if it were the Pen's Patrol playing the hockey! 8)

I think this thread is a disgrace. Way to jinx opening night folks! I was planning on attending a WIN! But, I know where to turn if my hopes are dashed!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby rasbatch on Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:37 pm

<comicbookguy>Worst thread EVER</comicbookguy>
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bh on Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:54 pm

Let's get this back on the game!!! Let's Go Pens. Kick the P**P out of the Flyers!
Wooooooooo Hooooooooo! 1st game of the season baby!!!!!!!!!!
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Judy on Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:08 pm

Zenpen wrote:
Eismann wrote:No, the BLB was very good, you just didn't like what they played.

I thought they were good except for "Barracuda". I never liked that song. I have to figure out, though, how I will stick a mouse pad schedule on my fridge. I have years of magnet schedules on there and I have to say I am bummed about that one.

Sorry dude, the band still sucked! Just MHO.

You aren't the only one bummed by the mouse pad. Our fridge at home is covered with them. Maybe superglue would hold it up nicely? :lol:
Judy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:19 pm

Current weather conditions in Quito, Ecuador: 68 degrees F, overcast. Could be worse.

http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/ECXX0008.html
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby magnum on Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:32 pm

Good luck Deas!
Start this season with a victory!

I wonder if teams are back to wearing
white at home & black on the road...yes I know
far down the ritcher scale today, just curious. Smile

By virtue of bad memory... When did this change, that home teams wear their darks and away teams wear their whites? And why did they change it to this after it was the other way for such a long time?
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shawnlesky on Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:59 pm

My small question: what's the least amount of time Orpik could miss by rule having been placed on IR?
shawnlesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby André on Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:13 pm

The Morozov loving, handy scapegoat just woke up after four hours of sleep. See, I even mess up my day rythm over here because of the game.

Yeah I stole the game thread. But like I said it's because I know the Pens will kick ass tonight. Stop the pouting!

LEEETSS!!
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby magnum on Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:27 pm

When The Pens win tonight, it won't be because Deas started the thread it will be because Magnum posted in it :lol:
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby André on Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:34 pm

magnum wrote:When The Pens win tonight, it won't be because Deas started the thread it will be because Magnum posted in it :lol:

Well at least you say they'll win too ;)
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Peter on Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:41 pm

Hey I used to be the scapegoat. Not anymore though. :(
Peter

Postby shawnlesky on Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:45 pm

Deas wrote:
magnum wrote:When The Pens win tonight, it won't be because Deas started the thread it will be because Magnum posted in it :lol:

Well at least you say they'll win too ;)
The Penguins will be victorious tonight by a score of 6-4. Write it down. I can feel it in my bones and I had a dream about it. Crosby scores twice, including the go-ahead goal in the third period while an empty netter seals the deal at the glorious end.
shawnlesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins