anyone making the trip to D.C.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

anyone making the trip to D.C.

Postby MarioLives on Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:43 pm

I plan on being there tonight....anyone else?
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Racer17 on Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:17 pm

I'm trying to go.. but it's sold out. I'm going to go and try to buy a single!
Racer17
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FallenHero96 on Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:57 am

D.C. is such a crap town.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Racer17 on Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:55 am

Well I made it down, found a ton of Pens fans and had a good time. It was my first trip to the MCI Center. Let me tell you, MCI is almost 10 years old now and it is amazing the differences from Mellon Arena to that, especially after watching several hundred games at the Igloo. The sight lines, the lack of tiny aisles, the ability to move around at the end of periods, concession stands, heck they even had General Tso's and eggrolls!

I really wish anyone who calls the Pens plan a "hockey" Arena would wake up and take a trip to any major city and see what they're missing. I'm afraid it will be typical Pittsburgh in that they will react 5 years too late and try to build one after the Pens leave, much like they try to recruit young people BACK to Pittsburgh after they leave instead of keeping them here with job growth in the first place!

The last thing that struck me was the amount of relocated Pittsburghers down there (in addition to the ones who made the drive). It's so unfortunate that we have such a special city that people associate with and are proud of, but there is such terrible goverment and management of it all that people are forced to leave. I didn't meet one fan down there last night who wasn't concerned with the Pens or the City, even though they've left to pursue their career in a new city. I wish the people in bed with Rendell would see all this but I know it will never happen. I'm beginning to think our last chance is to get Swanny elected. I understand he is not pro Arena, but at least the power of Rendell will be gone and maybe the best plan can rightfully win.
Racer17
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Tocchet on Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:35 pm

Not only the MCI Center itself, but the area directly surrounding it has made a HUGE upgrade over the past seven years. When I first lived in DC, that area was pretty sketchy, with only a couple of places near the MCI Center; otherwise, you didn't want to walk around too much at night after games or concerts. Now, it's a really bustling area that has really been built up quite well with a lot of bars and restaurants. I went back last year for the ACC basketball tourney and was amazed at how much it's improved in the 3 years that I had been away.
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:19 pm

Tocchet wrote:Not only the MCI Center itself, but the area directly surrounding it has made a HUGE upgrade over the past seven years. When I first lived in DC, that area was pretty sketchy, with only a couple of places near the MCI Center; otherwise, you didn't want to walk around too much at night after games or concerts. Now, it's a really bustling area that has really been built up quite well with a lot of bars and restaurants. I went back last year for the ACC basketball tourney and was amazed at how much it's improved in the 3 years that I had been away.

Agree. I had dinner right around the corner from MCI Center Thursday night. The area was full of activity more than a few hours before a GTown game. The place I had dinner, Inde Bleu, was very cool. The eclectic atmosphere was uniquely NYC, DCish. Probably not the spot to go with the guys for beers and shots before a Caps game though.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins