GDT: Penguins v. Rangers (3/15/12)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GDT: Penguins v. Rangers (3/15/12)

Postby Staggy on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:18 pm

What the hell, Martin played fine this game. He had one bad play where he pinched and left Letang hanging out to dry but other than that he was exceptional.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:19 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
shmenguin wrote:new jersey has been shut out 2 games in a row

i'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing going into saturday's game

I think Saturday's game is ripe for a let down. The Pens will be coming off an emotional high with the big win against the Rangers in the return game, it's a Saturday afternoon game in NJ, plus they're probably going to start Thiessen. The Pens may not lose, but it's a pretty good set-up for them dropping one, which might not be a bad thing in the big picture. It may sound weird, but I don't want this winning streak getting too long this deep into the season. It seems like teams always get into some bad habits when they win that much and then need a little while to get re-focused. I'd hate for that to be happening right when they're supposed to be gearing up for the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, I want them to win as much as possible the rest of the way, and they pretty much need to if they're really going to catch the Rangers. I think Sunday's the real important game this weekend, as Philly is still right behind the Pens.

Those are my thoughts exactly. I'd be thoroughly surprised if they win on Saturday, strange as that sounds.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Avyran on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:32 pm

Rob Rossi: How much has Crosby's work ethic influenced you over the years?

Malkin: I'm (a) lucky guy because when I (came) to Pittsburgh, I was surprised how Sid, who was the best player, worked so hard. It is every day. I had never worked liked that. I watched what Sid (did), and now I (have) started to do it, too. I think my level is up, too, because of that work.

From this article.

Pens fans're lucky folks.
Avyran
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:53 pm

Just want to come on here and give my credits to Little Tiger. He was a fiesty little tiger tonight. I forgot how his play style was. He can vanish for 5 games at a time but hes usually pretty reliable in big games. I was able about park over him but I'll take that back. TK deserves his 3rd line winger spot again. Glad hes back and healthy.

I was wrong
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jagr's mullet on Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:32 am

this was the first game all season that the Rangers gave up more than 4 goals.
jagr's mullet
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:50 am

Henry Hank wrote:
shmenguin wrote:new jersey has been shut out 2 games in a row

i'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing going into saturday's game

I think Saturday's game is ripe for a let down. The Pens will be coming off an emotional high with the big win against the Rangers in the return game, it's a Saturday afternoon game in NJ, plus they're probably going to start Thiessen. The Pens may not lose, but it's a pretty good set-up for them dropping one, which might not be a bad thing in the big picture. It may sound weird, but I don't want this winning streak getting too long this deep into the season. It seems like teams always get into some bad habits when they win that much and then need a little while to get re-focused. I'd hate for that to be happening right when they're supposed to be gearing up for the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, I want them to win as much as possible the rest of the way, and they pretty much need to if they're really going to catch the Rangers. I think Sunday's the real important game this weekend, as Philly is still right behind the Pens.

The Devils game is a good bet to be the end of the streak, I agree with you. They cannot get up for that team, and they are very boring to watch and play against. However, if the Pens can just get it into OT, they will kill Jersey 4-on-4 and the Pens' shootout lineup will be amazing. I wonder if they'd go to the Flower for the shootout, or leave Theissen in?
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby darkstar57 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:54 am

Not sure how it looked on tv, but in person I never felt like the rangers threatened us, they seem very much like a team coasting along until the playoffs come. If anything I have learned from the past few years, you have to be playing your best hockey going into the playoffs to win.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Froggy on Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:12 am

darkstar57 wrote:Not sure how it looked on tv, but in person I never felt like the rangers threatened us, they seem very much like a team coasting along until the playoffs come. If anything I have learned from the past few years, you have to be playing your best hockey going into the playoffs to win.

they flat out outplayed us for about 10 minutes in the 1st pd.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bh on Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:14 am

It was a wierd game. It seemed slow and muddled. Passes seemed off. Lots of swating at bounding pucks. Not sure if the ice was that good at all.
I'm glad this one is out of the way. I hate games where the players know something is different. I just want them to play like they play any other night.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:06 am

Sid looked cautious, real cautious. Can't blame him. Almost seemed like Bylsma didn't want to ruin the team chemistry by giving Sid perminant linemates. Instead opting to use him all over the place never giving him a chance to get settled in with linemates. Sid need to work on the point a little more, they didn't look insync, unserstandably so. I can see Sid becomming "the playmaker" again like he was when he first joined the league. But still a star in the league.

Don't know how long this comeback will last but i wish him the best and hope he can play the rest of his career in good health.

The Rangers didn't really threaten us once.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KBone on Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:20 am

Did Sid not deflect the shot from the point before Dupuis scored?

I initially thought I saw that and the replay didn't convince me otherwise.

He should have 2 A on the night, IMO.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:22 am

jagr's mullet wrote:this was the first game all season that the Rangers gave up more than 4 goals.

Is this as amazing as it sounds? That's pretty impressive going almost a whole season not giving up more than 4 goals in a single game.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:23 am

KBone wrote:Did Sid not deflect the shot from the point before Dupuis scored?

Yeah, when they showed the replay it clearly looked like he got a stick on it, but nobody ever said anything about it. And usually Errey is all over that kind of stuff. Weird.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:38 am

FallenHero96 wrote:
KBone wrote:Did Sid not deflect the shot from the point before Dupuis scored?

Yeah, when they showed the replay it clearly looked like he got a stick on it, but nobody ever said anything about it. And usually Errey is all over that kind of stuff. Weird.

i think steigy was still too busy explaining the origins of the term rope-a-dope an how it applies to both hockey and boxing
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:41 am

shmenguin wrote:i think steigy was still too busy explaining the origins of the term rope-a-dope an how it applies to both hockey and boxing

:lol:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby tfrizz on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:12 am

no name wrote:Sid looked cautious, real cautious. Can't blame him. Almost seemed like Bylsma didn't want to ruin the team chemistry by giving Sid perminant linemates. Instead opting to use him all over the place never giving him a chance to get settled in with linemates. Sid need to work on the point a little more, they didn't look insync, unserstandably so. I can see Sid becomming "the playmaker" again like he was when he first joined the league. But still a star in the league.

Don't know how long this comeback will last but i wish him the best and hope he can play the rest of his career in good health.

The Rangers didn't really threaten us once.

IMO, the only concern with Sid right now is that he makes this return permanent. I have no doubt he'll return to the same player on a plane above everyone else, as long as he can play.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:30 am

jagr's mullet wrote:this was the first game all season that the Rangers gave up more than 4 goals.

This is a stunning stat right here.

Rangers have a great coach, system, and goaltender, eh?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shakes on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:36 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

This is a stunning stat right here.

Rangers have a great coach, system, and goaltender, eh?

Yep. And the Pens have given up more than 4 goals in a game started by Fleury only once. And they beat the Jets in that one.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFaninRegina on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:01 pm

UPDATE :D Sid awarded an assist on the Duper goal.
PensFaninRegina
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:23 pm

PensFaninRegina wrote:UPDATE :D Sid awarded an assist on the Duper goal.

not so much as awarded but earned ;)

They published it at 13:04, after having previously having updated the sheet at 10:24am.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:26 pm

relantel wrote:
PensFaninRegina wrote:UPDATE :D Sid awarded an assist on the Duper goal.

not so much as awarded but earned ;)

They published it at 13:04, after having previously having updated the sheet at 10:24am.

Somewhere in washington, a foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist is crying a single tear
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:54 pm

Pretty key deflection too because otherwise it should have been a pretty routine save and not a nice rebound for Duper to tap in. Then again, Biron was in net, so I can understand why the scorer figured Sid didn't touch it.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins