GDT: debbies v. PENGUINS (3/17/12)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GDT: debbies v. PENGUINS (3/17/12)

Postby shmenguin on Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:49 pm

columbia wrote:This is a team that can seriously contend for the cup.
Is there a rational explanation for Park being out today and having Tangradi in?

And, please, don't reference his alleged physicality.


i didn't feel good about our 4th line today. park, please.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,398
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: GDT: debbies v. PENGUINS (3/17/12)

Postby LeopardLetang on Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:49 pm

Gaucho wrote:5-2 against the Bruins, 5-2 against the Rangers, 5-2 against the Devils...


:fist:
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,511
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: Altoona

Re: GDT: debbies v. PENGUINS (3/17/12)

Postby LeopardLetang on Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:51 pm

shmenguin wrote:
columbia wrote:This is a team that can seriously contend for the cup.
Is there a rational explanation for Park being out today and having Tangradi in?

And, please, don't reference his alleged physicality.


i didn't feel good about our 4th line today. park, please.


vitale was reckless but without effect today. or maybe it was that the rest of the lines were so strong that the 4th line is judged more harshly
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,511
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: Altoona

Re: GDT: debbies v. PENGUINS (3/17/12)

Postby Shakes on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:04 am

I've watched the Malkin goal about 25 times. Only 2 people knew what Sid was going to do there: Sid and Geno. It's so much fun to watch them together again. They think the game on a different level from everyone else on the team (in the league?).
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,893
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:27 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: GDT: debbies v. PENGUINS (3/17/12)

Postby shmenguin on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:08 am

LeopardLetang wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
columbia wrote:This is a team that can seriously contend for the cup.
Is there a rational explanation for Park being out today and having Tangradi in?

And, please, don't reference his alleged physicality.


i didn't feel good about our 4th line today. park, please.


vitale was reckless but without effect today. or maybe it was that the rest of the lines were so strong that the 4th line is judged more harshly


maybe. but i've thought that adams has been a total slug at even strength for a while now, so i'm a little skewed. who knows. i guess they do the job, but tangradi's lack of speed certainly doesn't fit in with the rest of the team
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,398
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: GDT: debbies v. PENGUINS (3/17/12)

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:21 am

That is a Devils team that should not even be a playoff team were it not for the fact that Broduer has stayed healthy. He is one of 4 good players that they have - with Elias, Kovalchuk and Parise in that list. They have two pretty good young players in Larsson and Henrique and a good grinder having a career year in Clarkson. A very very average team.

The Pens have now made 3 of the 4 "other" top teams in the conference look absolutely bewildered in the last 3 games. Tomorrow we get a chance to do it to the Flyers.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,276
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Re: GDT: debbies v. PENGUINS (3/17/12)

Postby IanMoran on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:24 am

Missed the game, how did Crosby look?
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,874
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: GDT: debbies v. PENGUINS (3/17/12)

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:27 am

IanMoran wrote:Missed the game, how did Crosby look?


Could have had 3 goals to go with the three assists. Seriously, Brodeur stoned him at least 5 times. His pass on the Malkin goal was brilliant. The other two assists were run of the mill for him....
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,276
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Re: GDT: debbies v. PENGUINS (3/17/12)

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:43 am

IanMoran wrote:Missed the game, how did Crosby look?


Crosby looked...

Spoiler:
Better
Image
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,358
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: Squares don't fit in my circle.

Re: GDT: debbies v. PENGUINS (3/17/12)

Postby thepittman on Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:28 am

DudeMan2766 wrote:
IanMoran wrote:Missed the game, how did Crosby look?


Crosby looked...

Spoiler:
Better
Image

Just let it die
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,098
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm
Location: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Re: GDT: debbies v. PENGUINS (3/17/12)

Postby malksby8771 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:09 am

steelhammer wrote:As it stands, with today's effort Crosby just passed Bobby Orr for 4th all-time in points/game (1.396).



Any chance he passes Mike Bossy? Bossy has 1.497 and Crosby has 1.396. How hard is it to increase your career ppg by 0.1? I'm guessing it's pretty difficult but that would be sick if he is only behind Lemieux and Gretzky.
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 823
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:00 pm

Re: GDT: debbies v. PENGUINS (3/17/12)

Postby malksby8771 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:30 am

Just ran some numbers...It would take four straight 130 point pace seasons of playing around 70+ games in each season for Crosby to catch Mike Bossy for third all time in career points per game. That's really difficult but not impossible since he's been scoring on 131 point pace since October 2010 so anything is possible.
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 823
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:00 pm

Re: GDT: debbies v. PENGUINS (3/17/12)

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:43 am

malksby8771 wrote:Just ran some numbers...It would take four straight 130 point pace seasons of playing around 70+ games in each season for Crosby to catch Mike Bossy for third all time in career points per game. That's really difficult but not impossible since he's been scoring on 131 point pace since October 2010 so anything is possible.


Keep in mind that he may possibly catch him but staying there would be another story. We're looking at Crosby while he's in his prime. He hasn't had the down side of his career yet, whatever that is going to be. The thing that some of those guys above him have in common is that they retired early and thus didn't hang around long as their abilities faded. Bossy and Orr retired at 30 due to injuries. Lemieux, for that matter, originally was over two points per game and was number one all-time even above Gretzky when he originally retired in his early 30's. Coming back dropped Mario below Gretzky. Anyway, Sid could peak at a higher points per game than he's at now but it may not stay there. Then again, who knows how abrupt the end of his career could be. Sorry I even had to mention it. :face:
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: GDT: debbies v. PENGUINS (3/17/12)

Postby WhoDaresWins on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:44 am

knives of ice wrote:Just hope all is ok with 58.

Played very little after hit, not that he needed to but also didn't talk to media after according to Rossi

I really hope he's okay too but he didn't miss a shift after his hit. I don't know where Rossi got that he played very little after the hit. He still led the team in TOI and averaged 7+ minutes for each period. He played 7:36 in the second and 7:16 in the 3rd.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20112012/TV021066.HTM

And fwiw....he spoke to Dave Molinari after the game. Molinari seems to think he was feeling some effects from the hit (doesn't say what) but Tanger says he's fine. He saw Boulton coming and squared up to him to absorb the hit. We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed. Tanger's a pretty tough customer and it didn't seem to involve his head.

"I stayed in the game, played in the game," he said. "I was fine. ... I would have gotten off the ice [if the hit had caused a problem.]"

Coach Dan Bylsma allowed that "it was a big hit," but said he had not seen replays of Boulton's check before meeting with reporters. He also noted that Letang "was right back out there the next shift."


http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/penguins/penguins-notebook-letang-takes-big-hit-from-boulton-517260/
WhoDaresWins
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: GDT: debbies v. PENGUINS (3/17/12)

Postby malksby8771 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:18 am

Henry Hank wrote:
malksby8771 wrote:Just ran some numbers...It would take four straight 130 point pace seasons of playing around 70+ games in each season for Crosby to catch Mike Bossy for third all time in career points per game. That's really difficult but not impossible since he's been scoring on 131 point pace since October 2010 so anything is possible.


Keep in mind that he may possibly catch him but staying there would be another story. We're looking at Crosby while he's in his prime. He hasn't had the down side of his career yet, whatever that is going to be. The thing that some of those guys above him have in common is that they retired early and thus didn't hang around long as their abilities faded. Bossy and Orr retired at 30 due to injuries. Lemieux, for that matter, originally was over two points per game and was number one all-time even above Gretzky when he originally retired in his early 30's. Coming back dropped Mario below Gretzky. Anyway, Sid could peak at a higher points per game than he's at now but it may not stay there. Then again, who knows how abrupt the end of his career could be. Sorry I even had to mention it. :face:


That really makes me sad to think about. I don't want to go there. I hope he keeps his current pace or close to it for the next few years that would be satisfying enough. It just would look really cool to see him up there with Lemieux and Gretz.
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 823
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:00 pm

Re: GDT: debbies v. PENGUINS (3/17/12)

Postby pugilist13 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:39 am

shmenguin wrote:
columbia wrote:This is a team that can seriously contend for the cup.
Is there a rational explanation for Park being out today and having Tangradi in?

And, please, don't reference his alleged physicality.


i didn't feel good about our 4th line today. park, please.

This will most likely be the lineup from here on in and through thje playoffs. Substitute Asham for Tangradi and there you have it. Dicky Park will be the swing man, Lovejoy the 7th D. Hopefully BJ will be ready before the end of the season. I know he's been pretty bad this year, but would rather have him available for the playoffs than relying on T-son as your back up.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,258
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: your back yard

Re: GDT: debbies v. PENGUINS (3/17/12)

Postby steelhammer on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:07 pm

malksby8771 wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:
malksby8771 wrote:Just ran some numbers...It would take four straight 130 point pace seasons of playing around 70+ games in each season for Crosby to catch Mike Bossy for third all time in career points per game. That's really difficult but not impossible since he's been scoring on 131 point pace since October 2010 so anything is possible.


Keep in mind that he may possibly catch him but staying there would be another story. We're looking at Crosby while he's in his prime. He hasn't had the down side of his career yet, whatever that is going to be. The thing that some of those guys above him have in common is that they retired early and thus didn't hang around long as their abilities faded. Bossy and Orr retired at 30 due to injuries. Lemieux, for that matter, originally was over two points per game and was number one all-time even above Gretzky when he originally retired in his early 30's. Coming back dropped Mario below Gretzky. Anyway, Sid could peak at a higher points per game than he's at now but it may not stay there. Then again, who knows how abrupt the end of his career could be. Sorry I even had to mention it. :face:


That really makes me sad to think about. I don't want to go there. I hope he keeps his current pace or close to it for the next few years that would be satisfying enough. It just would look really cool to see him up there with Lemieux and Gretz.


I still believe that Crosby has a 150+ point season in him. Let's not forget too that Crosby's 1.396 in today's NHL is way more impressive than Bossy's 1.497 from 77-87. The average goals per game in Bossy's career was 7.50 and the average goals per game in Crosby's is 5.75. In an era with 30.4% more scoring, Bossy is only 7.2% higher in scoring than Crosby.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,279
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:31 am
Location: Hold on, I have a stat for that.

Re: GDT: debbies v. PENGUINS (3/17/12)

Postby Staggy on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:28 pm

^ Good stat, I was wondering what the scoring difference would be in the different eras
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,845
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:33 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

e-mail