GDT: cryers v. PENGUINS (3/18/2012)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GDT: cryers v. PENGUINS (3/18/2012)

Postby marek on Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:59 pm

Anyone that says the refs didn't determine the outcome of this game is simply delirious. The flyers had 10 shots after 40 minutes... At the risk of people turning off the game to watch the ncaa tourney a call was made (from Toronto) and not surprisingly what happens:

Second period Summary:
10:02 Zac Rinaldo: 2 Minutes for Roughing
10:02 Kris Letang: 2 Minutes for Roughing
10:02 Scott Hartnell: 2 Minutes for Roughing

Pens get four minutes for getting jumped by two crying flyers.

14:53 Chris Kunitz: 2 Minutes for Cross checking
19:30 Zbynek Michalek: 2 Minutes for Slashing

3rd Period Summary
0:31 Kimmo Timonen (3) (Power Play)
4:47 Scott Hartnell (34)

2:29 Evgeni Malkin: 2 Minutes for Hooking
12:40 Evgeni Malkin: 2 Minutes for Elbowing

And what isn't in the box score are the 4 blatant non-calls in the 3rd by Jackson and L'Ecuyer...

If there is one thing Mr. Bettman cannot stand for a blowout on national tv.
You can't embarrass his beloved Flyers on NBC.
And definitely not to those cry baby Penguins.

This league is an absolute joke.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:05 pm

I thought Bettman <3 the Pens.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:07 pm

I know people get caught up in the moment and when that happens sometimes you say irrational things. I get it, really I do. I've done it, I still do it from time to time.

That being said if you after you've calmed down sit there and actually think the refs or the league are against the Pens(or any team for that matter), then I'm sorry.... you are delusional.

Refs miss calls, refs make awful calls, it doesn't just happen when the Pens are playing. It happens every day to every team.

Get used to it.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DesertPenguin on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:10 pm

BfromD wrote:This loss and giving up the lead will galvanize the team. Also provides HCDB some fresh ammunition to reaffirm the message and the system. Surely would have been better to get the win, but definitely not anything bridge-worthy.

This.

I for one did not want to see them carry this streak through the end of the season or close to it. Its human nature to lose attention to detail when you are on a roll like that. We still got a point in the standings, but this will serve to refocus the team. Pens control their destiny. Its the next streak that matters now.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guinness on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:12 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
sniper wrote:The Penguins should have easily had 3 power plays in that overtime alone and got none. I mean the guy back checking on Malkin grabbed him and held on for a good 5 seconds with BOTH hands and they called nothing. What the heck?

I think the refs are told to keep NBC games close. I thought that was blatantly obvious when they tried to do everything possible to get the Winter Classic into overtime this year. I don't think it's a surprise that there was a parade of Pens into the box once they were up 2-0 but then the refs swallowed their whistles. There's your conspiracy theory for the day.

That said, the Pens were very undisciplined. They put themselves in position to get called. The Flyers clearly got under their skin and you can't let that happen. Beat them on the scoreboard where it matters, don't get caught up in their crap.

THIS. It seems clear that they have a desire to keep games close. Also it was clear the Pens lost their cool - chiefly Letang and Malkin. Gotta keep your head, boys, and get the win.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nocera on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:14 pm

nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby duke66 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:16 pm

marek wrote:Anyone that says the refs didn't determine the outcome of this game is simply delirious. The flyers had 10 shots after 40 minutes... At the risk of people turning off the game to watch the ncaa tourney a call was made (from Toronto) and not surprisingly what happens:

Second period Summary:
10:02 Zac Rinaldo: 2 Minutes for Roughing
10:02 Scott Hartnell: 2 Minutes for Roughing

Pens get four minutes for getting jumped by two crying flyers.

14:53 Chris Kunitz: 2 Minutes for Cross checking
19:30 Zbynek Michalek: 2 Minutes for Slashing

3rd Period Summary
0:31 Kimmo Timonen (3) (Power Play)
4:47 Scott Hartnell (34)

2:29 Evgeni Malkin: 2 Minutes for Hooking
12:40 Evgeni Malkin: 2 Minutes for Elbowing

And what isn't in the box score are the 4 blatant non-calls in the 3rd by Jackson and L'Ecuyer...

If there is one thing Mr. Bettman cannot stand for a blowout on national tv.
You can't embarrass his beloved Flyers on NBC.
And definitely not to those cry baby Penguins.

This league is an absolute joke.

i'm not buying it. there is no conspiracy. some bad calls were made, and it was frustrating they put the whistles away when it came to the flyers in the 3rd. but s*** happens. pens should have killed off the penalties and would have won.
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:17 pm

No conspiracy, just 4 guys who suck at their job and should be fired.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:23 pm

skullman80 wrote:I know people get caught up in the moment and when that happens sometimes you say irrational things. I get it, really I do. I've done it, I still do it from time to time.

That being said if you after you've calmed down sit there and actually think the refs or the league are against the Pens(or any team for that matter), then I'm sorry.... you are delusional.

Refs miss calls, refs make awful calls, it doesn't just happen when the Pens are playing. It happens every day to every team.

Get used to it.

I don't think it's to favor one team or the other. It's done to keep games close. Has been that way for a while. I don't think it's to hurt the Pens or help the Flyers. The Flyers benefited because they were getting abused on national TV. The Michalek penalty was one of the most obvious "Making a call to turn the momentum" calls I've seen in a while, and I stated my reasoning on the last page or 2.

It's unfathomable to think the Pens had 10 shots on goal to the Flyers' 2 (0 until the last couple minutes... due to a penalty), and the Flyers get no penalties on them.

Yes, the refs make bad calls and blow calls both ways. But those blown calls are calculated in a way to keep games close and not let teams from blowing each other out, especially in their nationally televised games.

You are right that it's not isolated to Pens games, of course. Watched it happen multiple times last night watching other games. Detroit was down and they literally knocked over a Sharks player at the blue line on probably one of the most obvious interference calls you could ever see. It was let go, which immediately led to a DET goal about 4 seconds later (the guy knocked over was the one trying to defend the puck carrier). It allowed the game to be tied. I have no vested interest in that game and dislike the Sharks just as much as the Wings, but watching that was disgraceful.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:27 pm

That blantant non-call on whoever decided he fell in love with Malkin and wanted to hug him for a good 5 seconds almost cost me a television.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Pens playing on the road on Sunday after playing Saturday 0-2-2.

Pens playing at home on Sunday after playing Saturday 2-0-0.

One more Saturday -Sunday contest at home on Sunday.
Southern Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Guinness on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:30 pm

I'm not sure the call to keep it close is made in Toronto, though. I think the refs just think, "Aww, the boys are down a few, eh? Don't need to call that one, eh?"
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:34 pm

Guinness wrote:I'm not sure the call to keep it close is made in Toronto, though. I think the refs just think, "Aww, the boys are down a few, eh? Don't need to call that one, eh?"

Yeah, I don't think Toronto called in the Hartnell slash to Rinaldo's face. Seems pretty well understood how to handle the games. I don't even blame them for that call. At least it was even. Hard to see what happened without slow mo.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:34 pm

I wish them all a day away from anything hockey related! :)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby winger on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:36 pm

Guinness wrote:I'm not sure the call to keep it close is made in Toronto, though. I think the refs just think, "Aww, the boys are down a few, eh? Don't need to call that one, eh?"

Watching 24/7 really helped get the whole scenario down, eh?
winger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GDR on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:42 pm

at the end of the day, calling a penalty doesn't guarantee a goal. The Penguins could have killed off the Michalek penalty and didn't and then Geno made a bad turnover that led to the Hartnell goal.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:45 pm

GDR wrote:at the end of the day, calling a penalty doesn't guarantee a goal. The Penguins could have killed off the Michalek penalty and didn't and then Geno made a bad turnover that led to the Hartnell goal.

Right, which is why I said the Pens lost it, but the officials changed the momentum of the game.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:48 pm

bhaw wrote:
GDR wrote:at the end of the day, calling a penalty doesn't guarantee a goal. The Penguins could have killed off the Michalek penalty and didn't and then Geno made a bad turnover that led to the Hartnell goal.

Right, which is why I said the Pens lost it, but the officials changed the momentum of the game.

Yeah, of course it doesn't guarantee a goal, but it certainly puts on team in an advantageous (duh) position for a while.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PghSkins on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:59 pm

I understand complaining about the refs in the heat of the moment, and even after the game if there were really bad calls....

But some of you, hours after the game, believe that the NHL war room in Toronto directed refs in today's game to call penalties against the Pens, while the game was going on? Did I read that right?

Just making sure I understand what you're saying.
So I know what I'm defending if someone says Pens fans are dilusional.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:03 pm

I think that was one person PghSkins. Not people. :lol:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bigkam on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:07 pm

DelPen wrote:No conspiracy, just 4 guys who suck at their job and should be fired.

There it is.

Pens and every team have games like this where poor officiating is a big factor in the outcome. You have to find ways to win regardless of it, and the Pens didn't do that today. That being said, easily one of the worst/most lobsided officiated games I've seen in a long, long time.
bigkam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:07 pm

I don't think there are any calls made in during a game, but I think refs in general are directed to keep things close when possible, and that especially goes for NBC games. Managing by the score is nothing new, we all know that's how it goes.

I don't get annoyed with the refs because I know that's how they do it. They want to keep things "fair." I'm annoyed at the Pens because they kept putting themselves in the position to get called when you could tell the refs were looking to put Philly on the PP. Malkin especially was frustrating in the third. He took two dumb penalties and made a bad giveaway in the defensive zone at the end of one of those that led to the tying goal. As great as he is, he sure loses his head sometimes. Like in NY the other night when he got hit a couple times and then responded by going out of his way to give a payback hit that ended up giving the Rangers a 2-on-1. He, Letang, and Kunitz all let the Flyers get to them.

I'm annoyed that the Pens were winning 2-0 going into the third and unraveled, but there are worse things. They just won 11 straight and still picked up a point today. The last three games was a pretty brutal stretch, on the road against the best of the East and they got 5/6 points. The schedule the rest of this month isn't that bad. Hopefully the Pens are at the top of the conference by the end of March.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:07 pm

Lol
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby winger on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:11 pm

I'm kind of wondering if Kunitz won't have a little sit down with HCDB or maybe even the upper echelons for his antics with Hartnell...on national tv! ?
winger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby offsides on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:18 pm

DelPen wrote:No conspiracy, just 4 guys who suck at their job and should be fired.

Are these the only four you want to fire, or all of them? Maybe just 2/3 of them?
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins