GDT: cryers v. PENGUINS (3/18/2012)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GDT: cryers v. PENGUINS (3/18/2012)

Postby no name on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:28 pm

Flyers had 3 powerplays in the 3rd, they drew the calls, terrible calls by the refs, we couldn't get the calls int he 3rd.

But lets look at it like this guys. Hartnal doesn't get that goal in time and we goto the shootout we are all singing a different tune right now.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:45 pm

no name wrote:Flyers had 3 powerplays in the 3rd, they drew the calls, terrible calls by the refs, we couldn't get the calls int he 3rd.

But lets look at it like this guys. Hartnal doesn't get that goal in time and we goto the shootout we are all singing a different tune right now.

Yeah, I've calmed down. I think most of the problem is we lost to the Flyers with that ******* scoring so late in OT. If we won today, and lost Tuesday against the Jets, it woulda been ho-hum. I dont like the calls, or blowing a 2 goal 3rd period lead, but this was the 3rd road game within the division in 4 days. And the Pens dominated all but about 15 total minutes of all those games. Missed opp, hate to lose to the Flyers, but if this is what these teams are made of, I'll hitch my wagon to the Pens
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby steelhammer on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:48 pm

marek wrote:Anyone that says the refs didn't determine the outcome of this game is simply delirious. The flyers had 10 shots after 40 minutes... At the risk of people turning off the game to watch the ncaa tourney a call was made (from Toronto) and not surprisingly what happens:

Second period Summary:
10:02 Zac Rinaldo: 2 Minutes for Roughing
10:02 Kris Letang: 2 Minutes for Roughing
10:02 Scott Hartnell: 2 Minutes for Roughing
10:02 Kris Letang: 2 Minutes for Roughing

Pens get four minutes for getting jumped by two crying flyers.

14:53 Chris Kunitz: 2 Minutes for Cross checking
19:30 Zbynek Michalek: 2 Minutes for Slashing

3rd Period Summary
0:31 Kimmo Timonen (3) (Power Play)
4:47 Scott Hartnell (34)

2:29 Evgeni Malkin: 2 Minutes for Hooking
12:40 Evgeni Malkin: 2 Minutes for Elbowing

And what isn't in the box score are the 4 blatant non-calls in the 3rd by Jackson and L'Ecuyer...

If there is one thing Mr. Bettman cannot stand for a blowout on national tv.
You can't embarrass his beloved Flyers on NBC.
And definitely not to those cry baby Penguins.

This league is an absolute joke.

bhaw wrote:I don't think it's to favor one team or the other. It's done to keep games close. Has been that way for a while. I don't think it's to hurt the Pens or help the Flyers. The Flyers benefited because they were getting abused on national TV. The Michalek penalty was one of the most obvious "Making a call to turn the momentum" calls I've seen in a while, and I stated my reasoning on the last page or 2.

It's unfathomable to think the Pens had 10 shots on goal to the Flyers' 2 (0 until the last couple minutes... due to a penalty), and the Flyers get no penalties on them.

Yes, the refs make bad calls and blow calls both ways. But those blown calls are calculated in a way to keep games close and not let teams from blowing each other out, especially in their nationally televised games.

You are right that it's not isolated to Pens games, of course. Watched it happen multiple times last night watching other games. Detroit was down and they literally knocked over a Sharks player at the blue line on probably one of the most obvious interference calls you could ever see. It was let go, which immediately led to a DET goal about 4 seconds later (the guy knocked over was the one trying to defend the puck carrier). It allowed the game to be tied. I have no vested interest in that game and dislike the Sharks just as much as the Wings, but watching that was disgraceful.

I agree very strongly with these two posts.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:55 pm

I am sorry, but the refs were an absolute joke today. There was a play with about 8 minutes left where Adams (I believe) turned to skate out of the defensive slot with the puck and was blatantly tripped. He managed to flip the puck out as he was going down, but that shouldn't matter.

Coburn most definitely should have had the extra two for punching Letang after the first free punch he delivered. If you take a second shot at the open chin there, you get the extra - but of course it was even up.

The Michalek penalty was a blatant case of Girooux getting involved from the bench by chopping Michalek. That is AT A MINIMUM a 10 minute misconduct - taking their best player away from them.

There was another blatant hold on Cooke by Grossman. No call.

I am ok with the Flyers getting their calls in the 2nd and 3rd, but just because they used them to tie the game shouldn't mean are suddenly not alllowed to get a PP chance too.

25 out 26 points in this streak though, and we still have a game in hand on the Flyers. Only one behind a failing Ranger team.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:02 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Only one behind a failing Ranger team.

This is the key point.

The Rangers and Bruins are faltering (and have been). The Pens are great shape for the playoffs.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Nizzy on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:08 pm

Just came on too say 2 things:

1. Tyler Kennedy how can you make 2.0M as a sniping winger and keep missing the net. He's worthless. Just doesn't have enough to stay on this team after this season imo.

2. I hate Scott Hartnell so much. How can anyone like this joke?
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LeopardLetang on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:16 pm

Guinness wrote:I'm not sure the call to keep it close is made in Toronto, though. I think the refs just think, "Aww, the boys are down a few, eh? Don't need to call that one, eh?"

lol
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KBone on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:17 pm

Glad to see the clutch and grab is back.

Key example. Crosby's late rush... bear hugged by Timmonen. Literally just hugged Crosby as he made his way to the net. Not even close to being called.

Lemeiux is and always was right... garage league.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:20 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Puck Drama wrote:If only Nealkerovsky showed up for games like these. He should take a tape of this game and watch Hartnell and see how passion could help him elevate his game. I see the headline at Yahoo is "All Heart".

Who reads Yahoo for any kind of news...?

It's all about EXCITE
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LeopardLetang on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:23 pm

Nizzy wrote:Just came on too say 2 things:

1. Tyler Kennedy how can you make 2.0M as a sniping winger and keep missing the net. He's worthless. Just doesn't have enough to stay on this team after this season imo.

i actually came on to say one thing actually. and in contrast to you i gained a lot of respect for hartnell tonight

it almost pained me too much to watch the postgame interview with him but i did and he gave some good credit to the pens without whining about kunitz. all i could think the whole time kunitz was bludgeoning his face was him gnawing on letang's finger.

but he took a good beating there and coolly looked to the ref to see if he gained his team an advantage. his goals tonight were top notch. he's a calm pest which makes you hate him, but i respect it.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:29 pm

I may be in the minority but I don't really think #1 seed in the conference is a be all end all. I don't want them emptying the tank the last 10 games just to get a #1 seed. Playoffs anyone can win on the road.

Obviously you want them playing well and going on all cylinders but I don't need them to go full speed to get the #1 seed....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FanofUlf on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:39 pm

Games like this are why I don't get too "championship ready" with the Pens.
For some reason they just cannot consistently beat the Flyers and it is so annoying.
There is no, none whatsoever reason why we should be getting bullied around by them, but we did.

This team seems to lack a killer instinct against the Flyers and it is rally annoying.
From 2006 to 2010 we owned the Flyers and I used to look forward to games knowing we were going to win.
I don't what happened come 2010, the home opener, but it is so freakin annoying how we lose to them.

I think what I really hate about the Flyers is how that dirtbag team NEVER has bad a season.
Ok, 2006, but that was like one bad season in the past two decades and it so annoying #Whycan't they go through a dryspell.
FanofUlf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SirMario66 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:40 pm

KBone wrote:Glad to see the clutch and grab is back.

Key example. Crosby's late rush... bear hugged by Timmonen. Literally just hugged Crosby as he made his way to the net. Not even close to being called.

that was good defense by timmonen IMO. There were numerous other interference plays that I was surprised weren't called given how soft some of the calls against the pens were
SirMario66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:02 pm

KG wrote:I may be in the minority but I don't really think #1 seed in the conference is a be all end all. I don't want them emptying the tank the last 10 games just to get a #1 seed. Playoffs anyone can win on the road.

Obviously you want them playing well and going on all cylinders but I don't need them to go full speed to get the #1 seed....

Today is why I want the first seed. I'd rather take a chance against whatever crappy team gets the eighth seed than have to go through a long series of games like today's in the first round.

I don't think the Pens are going to need to empty the tank to get the top seed. They're a point behind NY with a game remaining against them. There's 11 games to go and NY is falling. The Pens will need a strong finish but I'd want them to finish strong anyway. But they're not going to need to go 11-0 to get it done.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:02 pm

Nizzy wrote:Tyler Kennedy how can you make 2.0M as a sniping winger and keep missing the net. He's worthless.

back to the well we go.

yep. he really showed no worth in the last 3 games. and if a 3rd line player isn't scoring goals, he must suck out loud. he is a high paid sniper after all
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:15 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Nizzy wrote:Tyler Kennedy how can you make 2.0M as a sniping winger and keep missing the net. He's worthless.

back to the well we go.

yep. he really showed no worth in the last 3 games. and if a 3rd line player isn't scoring goals, he must suck out loud. he is a high paid sniper after all

Sorry, he doesn't get off that easy. He is a top 6 winger according to salary. He isn't playing like it. Seriously, how many times does Crosby need to be open before he passes instead of puts it into the goalies chest or the glass. Staal, Cooke and Dupuis can get away with stretches of no scoring because they bring other qualities, like being integral parts of a top tier pk.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KBone on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:16 pm

SirMario66 wrote:
KBone wrote:Glad to see the clutch and grab is back.

that was good defense by timmonen IMO. There were numerous other interference plays that I was surprised weren't called given how soft some of the calls against the pens were

Of course it was GREAT defense. He hugged Crosby and didn't allow a shot AND didn't get a penalty for it. Arms around a player = penalty (or should)
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Staggy on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:24 pm

It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

back to the well we go.

Sorry, he doesn't get off that easy. He is a top 6 winger according to salary. He isn't playing like it. Seriously, how many times does Crosby need to be open before he passes instead of puts it into the goalies chest or the glass. Staal, Cooke and Dupuis can get away with stretches of no scoring because they bring other qualities, like being integral parts of a top tier pk.

Meh, 2 million seems like a decent rate for a 3rd liner. TK has played well the last 3 games and he definitely brings a lot more than just scoring. He's a good cycler, decent defender, and he throws his body around pretty well for his size.

But I get it, watching him play with Sid can be frustrating at times.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:34 pm

The only thing I take from this game is it was not good. Too many shots directed right at the Flyers' feet, and our skill players simply cannot get involved in the after-whistle stuff because it totally throws this team off (Looking at you, Letang!)
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:36 pm

11-0-1 and there's venom being spit at a guy who gets 13 minutes a game and has 4 points in 3 games, with 3 impressive primary assists.

there will never be another whipping boy quite like kennedy. we are all witnesses.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:38 pm

wondermoose wrote:The only thing I take from this game is it was not good. Too many shots directed right at the Flyers' feet, and our skill players simply cannot get involved in the after-whistle stuff because it totally throws this team off (Looking at you, Letang!)

That's how Letang plays, has always played, and will continue to play.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:40 pm

Kennedy had four assists in the previous two games, three of them were primary. He has been making some nice plays with Sid and Cooke. We get it. He shoots a lot. He's not a sniper. He's generally a pretty solid third line winger who's in a goal slump but has still produced points at his normal rate. If you're going to be critical of him for anything, it's not being able to stay healthy. He's a little overpriced due to UFA status and coming off a career year but does there always have to be a whipping boy?
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:54 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Kennedy had four assists in the previous two games, three of them were primary. He has been making some nice plays with Sid and Cooke. We get it. He shoots a lot. He's not a sniper. He's generally a pretty solid third line winger who's in a goal slump but has still produced points at his normal rate. If you're going to be critical of him for anything, it's not being able to stay healthy. He's a little overpriced due to UFA status and coming off a career year but does there always have to be a whipping boy?

Scudichar?
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:55 pm

LeopardLetang wrote:
Nizzy wrote:Just came on too say 2 things:

i actually came on to say one thing actually. and in contrast to you i gained a lot of respect for hartnell tonight

it almost pained me too much to watch the postgame interview with him but i did and he gave some good credit to the pens without whining about kunitz. all i could think the whole time kunitz was bludgeoning his face was him gnawing on letang's finger.

but he took a good beating there and coolly looked to the ref to see if he gained his team an advantage. his goals tonight were top notch. he's a calm pest which makes you hate him, but i respect it.

Nice, never thought i'd have to use the ignore feature on this site, however after I post this you're the lucky winner!

Gained respect for Hartnell? The guy that went up to Letang after he clean hit jagr and tried to cross check letang in the chest good thing letang blocked it and caused hartnells stick to take out rinaldo... Hartnell has no problem going after a letang who has been out with concussions, surely he knows this. Then Kunitz gets in his face and he dodges by falling down to the ice.

Kunitz was going to let him get away that easy. You gained respect for that? He's hideous looking, naturally, and I'm not one to criticize people looks. I just can't stand everything about what is Scott Hartnell. He's a clown plain and simple. He'll pick on a smaller player but won't man up. I'm disgusted he had that goal in OT.

AND YOU GAINED RESPECT FOR HIM LOL?

wow. I just don't see how. Sorry sir, we greatly disagree. I've never gained any respect for any Flyers player ever.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby winger on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:56 pm

but does there always have to be a whipping boy?

Yes, and if Sid doesn't get his act together soon, it's going to be his turn.
winger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins