Penguins v. Flyers (Game 3) GDT

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Penguins v. Flyers (Game 3) GDT

Postby viva la ben on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:30 pm

Why the collapse? Who knows? All i can say is that this truely is a collapse.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:30 pm

Guinness wrote:This has been such a complete dismantlement, that I can't see Shero not making major changes this off-season. I've taken to saying that this should be looked at as the Eastern Conference Finals, since these are the two best teams in the East; but Philly has so thoroughly and utterly dominated this series, unlike any I've seen that I can remember at the moment, that even if it were true that this were the ECF, Shero MUST re-evaluate this team. This isn't a tweak situation.

Yes, I get to be more optimistic than Guinness. This is a completely tweak situation. This team was very good over the last 2 seasons during the regular season and dealing with adversity. They have shown solid to great defense with the same cast, solid to great goal-tending and solid to great offense. Clearly they need to put it all together. They can also beat any other team in the east besides the flyers even right now, looking so terrible.

These games weren't blowouts. Game 1 was OT, game 2 was tied halfway through the 3rd. Game 3 was back and forth throughout. Philly owns them mentally. Maybe a tweak doesn't solve that, but blowing this team up is also not the answer.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:30 pm

bhaw wrote:Game 4 will be uneventful. Pens are going to just fold from what I saw today. They did that the entire 3rd period sans a 20 minute grappling display.

The second BJ came in, they realized it was over.

They already folded, it was just disguised as "gooning it up."
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby 6lemieux6 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:30 pm

Playoffs Game 3 - Thoughts from the Morning After - DELETE
6lemieux6
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:30 pm

Guinness wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:May I repeat please.

16 goals allowed in the last two games!

and i make the same typo... 16 not 18

Looks like you yourself let in two softies, there.

I think my head is spinning thinking 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8 in a playoff game. Twice in a row. :lol:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guinness on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:30 pm

Shea Weber/Ryan Suter please?? PLEASE!?!?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tico Rick on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:30 pm

knives of ice wrote:do people seriously think that the Penguins aren't going to do the BS they did in the last minutes of this game? seriously? i could have guaranteed you they would. people are surprised by this?

its the playoffs. the players are so frustrated right now that they clearly can't beat the flyers on the ice they want to beat them any way they can.

This. Their behavior was embarassing, but understandable, and it's silly to say we've sunk to the Islanders' level. All in all, it was relatively mild. Asham's hit was cheapest. Adams' hair pulling was cheap, but not as cheap as biting someone's finger would be...
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mariojr on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:31 pm

browniefan wrote:
mariojr wrote:In fact, I would start by firing Bylsma before game 4. Let his assistant HC handle that final loss. His team has been a disgrace in every way it is possible to be a disgrace, and canning him now would send the right message.

Yes, and I would hire an ice-dancing coach. And skate figure-eights between the blue lines. And shout "Bravo!" every time the Flyers smoke another one past Fleury. And hammer our swords into plowshares. And turn the other cheek. For by doing so we will prove our moral superiority.

Your statement made no sense whatsoever and isn't remotely related to what I said. It's ridiculous hyperbole that makes no point at all. The Pens are a disgrace both for their pathetic play and their BS moves: Neal running Couterier far from the puck, Asham going to the throat with a cross-check, Crosby fighting anyone and everyone he can, Adams pulling Hartnell's hair (well, actually, that had to be hard to resist). It's one thing to get frustrated and try to start something, it's another to descend to the level of the Rinaldos, the Trevor Gillies', etc.
mariojr
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:31 pm

Three Stars wrote:Let's not attack each other while venting, please.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby profpolisci on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:32 pm

Is it just us or does Mike Lange sound disgusted?
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:33 pm

profpolisci wrote:Is it just us or does Mike Lange sound disgusted?

saying to just step aside and let philly score the 1st goal; yes!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sniper on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:33 pm

marek wrote:So does anyone feel differently and now agrees that the pens should have targeted max and taken him out of this series? Lol

Why because he scored two goals that a high school level goalie could stop with ease?

Pens have played like complete crap, obviously. Max Talbot has nothing to do with that. The penguins have played 40 minutes in this series. The first periods of games 1 and 2. The rest is complete garbage. The worst part is I still think the Pens best is better than the Flyers best. Sadly it certainly looks like we will never see the Penguins best or anything close to it. I have no idea what they are doing, but it sure isn't working.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Current One on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:34 pm

Funny how people are embarrassed about the Pens actually trying to respond to the Flyers. What are they supposed to do? Bend over and take it willingly? I say bring up Big Mac and every other "goon" in the organization for Game 4.
The Current One
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:35 pm

So, so sad.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:35 pm

It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:
Guinness wrote:This has been such a complete dismantlement, that I can't see Shero not making major changes this off-season. I've taken to saying that this should be looked at as the Eastern Conference Finals, since these are the two best teams in the East; but Philly has so thoroughly and utterly dominated this series, unlike any I've seen that I can remember at the moment, that even if it were true that this were the ECF, Shero MUST re-evaluate this team. This isn't a tweak situation.

Yes, I get to be more optimistic than Guinness. This is a completely tweak situation. This team was very good over the last 2 seasons during the regular season and dealing with adversity. They have shown solid to great defense with the same cast, solid to great goal-tending and solid to great offense. Clearly they need to put it all together. They can also beat any other team in the east besides the flyers even right now, looking so terrible.

These games weren't blowouts. Game 1 was OT, game 2 was tied halfway through the 3rd. Game 3 was back and forth throughout. Philly owns them mentally. Maybe a tweak doesn't solve that, but blowing this team up is also not the answer.

:D

By, "this isn't a tweak situation", I didn't meant "blow it up"... I can see where you'd get that, though. I mean, major parts need to move out.

To be honest, I'm too emotionally invested right now to make a fair, honest evaluation. I'm still not entirely sure what just happened. Philly made a major shakeup to their roster and right now, they're on the cusp of clearing THE major hurdle to their return to the finals. I don't know. I don't think that kind of shakeup is off the table.

Let me have a few more beers, and I'll tell you then. ;) :lol:
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tico Rick on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:35 pm

The Pens have as much talent as the Flyers, but they played so undisciplined all series. Is this a coaching problem, or do you just need to get young bucks who are hungrier, as Philly did? I wokuld not be at all surprised to see Staal finally moved as part of remaking this team, as he is probably the most expendable of the core players. The defense must be restructured. Please ship Martin out at any cost.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby profpolisci on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:35 pm

marek wrote:So does anyone feel differently and now agrees that the pens should have targeted max and taken him out of this series? Lol

Max will be nothing but gold for me no matter what he does short of running Sid in the head or something akin.
I'm enjoying his success. He's $$ and he deserves every cent.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby browniefan on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:36 pm

mariojr wrote:
browniefan wrote:
mariojr wrote:In fact, I would start by firing Bylsma before game 4. Let his assistant HC handle that final loss. His team has been a disgrace in every way it is possible to be a disgrace, and canning him now would send the right message.

Yes, and I would hire an ice-dancing coach. And skate figure-eights between the blue lines. And shout "Bravo!" every time the Flyers smoke another one past Fleury. And hammer our swords into plowshares. And turn the other cheek. For by doing so we will prove our moral superiority.

Your statement made no sense whatsoever and isn't remotely related to what I said. It's ridiculous hyperbole that makes no point at all. The Pens are a disgrace both for their pathetic play and their BS moves: Neal running Couterier far from the puck, Asham going to the throat with a cross-check, Crosby fighting anyone and everyone he can, Adams pulling Hartnell's hair (well, actually, that had to be hard to resist). It's one thing to get frustrated and try to start something, it's another to descend to the level of the Rinaldos, the Trevor Gillies', etc.

And your suggestion that Bylsma be fired before game 4 wasn't hyperbole? That was a calm, even-handed recommendation?

Nothing the Penguins did in that game descended to the level of Trevor Gillies. Some people here just like to feel better about themselves by criticizing their own team's "brutality." Mission accomplished, mariojr!
browniefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:37 pm

The Current One wrote:Funny how people are embarrassed about the Pens actually trying to respond to the Flyers. What are they supposed to do? Bend over and take it willingly? I say bring up Big Mac and every other "goon" in the organization for Game 4.

I'm embarrased the way they responded in the first.

The end of game stuff, not a big deal either way at this point.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:37 pm

Tico Rick wrote:
knives of ice wrote:do people seriously think that the Penguins aren't going to do the BS they did in the last minutes of this game? seriously? i could have guaranteed you they would. people are surprised by this?

its the playoffs. the players are so frustrated right now that they clearly can't beat the flyers on the ice they want to beat them any way they can.

This. Their behavior was embarassing, but understandable, and it's silly to say we've sunk to the Islanders' level. All in all, it was relatively mild. Asham's hit was cheapest. Adams' hair pulling was cheap, but not as cheap as biting someone's finger would be...

Agreed. Each incident by itself was somewhat mild. Asham did it because Schenn went high on Michalek (i think?), Adams pulled hair trying for the jersey. Crosby was being his normal self knocking the glove away. Neal was, well not sure.

It was the overall acts in total combined with the fact that it was all because they couldn't compete on the ice.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pensfan86 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:38 pm

I dunno if its me or not but I don't feel any remorse or slightest remorse towards Philly. This just furthers my point that I completely dispise them. They are now getting some of their own medicine. How many times has Philly said screw it when we have been beating the snot outta them and just started fighting.
pensfan86
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Brugrabud on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:38 pm

Has anyone in the past 20 years.. maybe 30.. seen any playoff series like this where a team just fell apart? It isn't like we are losing 1-0 2-1.. 8 goals against a game.. blowing a leads of 2-3 goals.. we've seen top seeds lose series, even swept, but nothing like this.
Brugrabud
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Guinness on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:39 pm

Tico Rick wrote:

The Pens have as much talent as the Flyers, but they played so undisciplined all series. Is this a coaching problem, or do you just need to get young bucks who are hungrier, as Philly did? I wokuld not be at all surprised to see Staal finally moved as part of remaking this team, as he is probably the most expendable of the core players. The defense must be restructured. Please ship Martin out at any cost.

What do you get back in return for a Staal/Martin package? Hmm...
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bh on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:39 pm

The Current One wrote:Funny how people are embarrassed about the Pens actually trying to respond to the Flyers. What are they supposed to do? Bend over and take it willingly? I say bring up Big Mac and every other "goon" in the organization for Game 4.
Yeah, that sure makes the organization look real good. We need to beat them on the ice the next game to keep any dignity that they may still have, which is about the size of a marble right now. It's not too early to look towards next year.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pensfan86 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:39 pm

Goon64 wrote:Has anyone in the past 20 years.. maybe 30.. seen any playoff series like this where a team just fell apart? It isn't like we are losing 1-0 2-1.. 8 goals against a game.. blowing a leads of 2-3 goals.. we've seen top seeds lose series, even swept, but nothing like this.

Ask Vancouver they seem pretty good at messing things up
pensfan86
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins