Marc Andre Fleury

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby Rocco on Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:22 pm

While MAF was about 1000 times better last night, it bears mentioning that the Pens looked a lot more committed to playing actual defense last night instead of standing and watching. It wasn't until the 2nd half of the 3rd period where the Flyers were able to generate consistent offense and zone time at even-strength.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 35,636
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby Pens15 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:10 pm

This isn't really a "told you so" situation. He still stunk early in the series, that still happened. He's still inconsistent and still kind of a headcase.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,103
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:49 pm

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:16 pm

Pens15 wrote:This isn't really a "told you so" situation. He still stunk early in the series, that still happened. He's still inconsistent and still kind of a headcase.


A goalie is only as good as the defense in front of him.

Inconsistent D = Inconsistent goalie. See Bryzgalov, Ilya and Smith, Michael.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,864
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby Pens15 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:02 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Pens15 wrote:This isn't really a "told you so" situation. He still stunk early in the series, that still happened. He's still inconsistent and still kind of a headcase.


A goalie is only as good as the defense in front of him.

Inconsistent D = Inconsistent goalie. See Bryzgalov, Ilya and Smith, Michael.


Meh. That is true to a point but there's no doubt that MAF can be a bit bipolar. He's a bit fragile.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,103
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:49 pm

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby Rocco on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:05 pm

You can't really blame the D when MAF is sweeping pucks into his own net or mangling simple shots on goal.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 35,636
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby brwi on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:13 pm

Pens15 wrote:This isn't really a "told you so" situation. He still stunk early in the series, that still happened. He's still inconsistent and still kind of a headcase.


Yeah, and a lot of goalies are headcases :D

MAF sucked earlier in the series and in the 1st period last night also, but he definitely played a major role in extending the series Friday night with some stellar goaltending in the 2nd/3rd. I don't care if he sucks during a 20min period if he can rebound and the team win. He's proven he can be good enough to be an impact goaltender and play a large part in winning the SC and that's about all you can expect.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,129
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby malkinshair on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:14 pm

Rocco wrote:You can't really blame the D when MAF is sweeping pucks into his own net or mangling simple shots on goal.


He swept 1 puck into his own net, and hasn't been mangling simple shots. He's been facing excellent scoring chances with traffic around and in front of him...mostly short-handed.

But keep hatin'. :roll:
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,215
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:27 pm
Location: about 455 yards away...with a 2 iron, I think.

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby brwi on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:33 pm

malkinshair wrote:
Rocco wrote:You can't really blame the D when MAF is sweeping pucks into his own net or mangling simple shots on goal.


He swept 1 puck into his own net, and hasn't been mangling simple shots. He's been facing excellent scoring chances with traffic around and in front of him...mostly short-handed.

But keep hatin'. :roll:


Reality isn't "hatin'" and the reality is that MAF has given up several soff goals this series and looked bad in the 1st last night. The MAFpologists always come out in force when faced with the fact that MAF sometimes blows. It happens to all goaltenders and MAF is certainly no exception.

I don't think the Pens need to worry about acquiring another #1 goaltender when you already have a guy who has proven he's a champion and can go all the way through a grueling SC playoff season and emerge victorious. That doesn't mean that he gets a free pass when he sucks. Pointing out the damn obvious doesn't make people MAF haters either.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,129
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby Rocco on Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:11 pm

malkinshair wrote:
Rocco wrote:You can't really blame the D when MAF is sweeping pucks into his own net or mangling simple shots on goal.


He swept 1 puck into his own net, and hasn't been mangling simple shots. He's been facing excellent scoring chances with traffic around and in front of him...mostly short-handed.

But keep hatin'. :roll:


MAF's been giving up goals on a lot of stoppable shots that he handled in the regular season. One really good game doesn't erase the fact he was a shaky train wreck for 3.5 games.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 35,636
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby Judy on Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:38 pm

Speaking of which, can anyone tell me where I can find a link of the post game interview Potash had with Fleury last night? I was at the game but it was too loud to hear it.
Judy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,531
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:12 pm
Location: Washington

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby malkinshair on Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:49 pm

Rocco wrote:
malkinshair wrote:
Rocco wrote:You can't really blame the D when MAF is sweeping pucks into his own net or mangling simple shots on goal.


He swept 1 puck into his own net, and hasn't been mangling simple shots. He's been facing excellent scoring chances with traffic around and in front of him...mostly short-handed.

But keep hatin'. :roll:


MAF's been giving up goals on a lot of stoppable shots that he handled in the regular season. One really good game doesn't erase the fact he was a shaky train wreck for 3.5 games.


How was he bad in game 1? The breakaway tucked under the bar? The 1-time deflection from the slot? The puck that trickled through your top defenseman, who was standing in the blue paint, to an uncovered Flyer?

How was he bad in game 4? The screened shot that he's got to contend with Briere, known for his overwhelming physical presence, in his blue paint? The 5v3 backdoor pass that's allowed to get thru...that still had to be buried under the bar because he'd gotten over?

The team was a shaky train wreck in games 2 and 3. MAF wasn't good, but his effort wasn't as bad as the defensive effort in front of him.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,215
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:27 pm
Location: about 455 yards away...with a 2 iron, I think.

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby malkinshair on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:01 pm

brwi wrote:
malkinshair wrote:
Rocco wrote:You can't really blame the D when MAF is sweeping pucks into his own net or mangling simple shots on goal.


He swept 1 puck into his own net, and hasn't been mangling simple shots. He's been facing excellent scoring chances with traffic around and in front of him...mostly short-handed.

But keep hatin'. :roll:


Reality isn't "hatin'" and the reality is that MAF has given up several soff goals this series and looked bad in the 1st last night. The MAFpologists always come out in force when faced with the fact that MAF sometimes blows. It happens to all goaltenders and MAF is certainly no exception.

I don't think the Pens need to worry about acquiring another #1 goaltender when you already have a guy who has proven he's a champion and can go all the way through a grueling SC playoff season and emerge victorious. That doesn't mean that he gets a free pass when he sucks. Pointing out the damn obvious doesn't make people MAF haters either.


Your 'damn obvious' is what I have a problem with. Not every goal is his fault. Not every shot that squeaks through, or goes in off the bar, or is perfectly placed should be described as a soff goal. Games 2 and 3 were the low point of the season (maybe the last 2-3 years) for this team...and Fleury had a hand in those losses for sure...but so did every other Pens skater.

BTW, trying to point out that a goal is not always solely the blame of the goaltender, and can sometimes be attributed to his defense or *gasp* the talent of his opponents doesn't make someone a 'MAFpologist' either.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,215
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:27 pm
Location: about 455 yards away...with a 2 iron, I think.

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:12 pm

malkinshair wrote:
Rocco wrote:You can't really blame the D when MAF is sweeping pucks into his own net or mangling simple shots on goal.


But keep hatin'. :roll:


Ugh. Theres that word. Fleury was magnificiant last night, and we all support him. But don't act like anyone pointing out how horrid he was in the first 3 1/3 games is only doing it cuz "we all haters." God do I hate that word. He was awful. But we're all behind him, and he came through. Just don't act like the other things didnt exist.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,578
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: Squares don't fit in my circle.

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby brwi on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:16 pm

malkinshair wrote:
Your 'damn obvious' is what I have a problem with. Not every goal is his fault. Not every shot that squeaks through, or goes in off the bar, or is perfectly placed should be described as a soff goal. Games 2 and 3 were the low point of the season (maybe the last 2-3 years) for this team...and Fleury had a hand in those losses for sure...but so did every other Pens skater.

BTW, trying to point out that a goal is not always solely the blame of the goaltender, and can sometimes be attributed to his defense or *gasp* the talent of his opponents doesn't make someone a 'MAFpologist' either.


Who said every goal is MAF's fault? Wasn't me. I already stated last nigh in the GDT that Hartnell beating him on the 5-on-3 was simply a good shot by Hartnell that a lot of NHLers fail to lift. The fact that a lot of Flyers' goals this series are nice displays of talent and also at times Penguin ineptitude doesn't mean that MAF hasn't let in some terrible goals, one of which was drifting WAY out of position last night in the 1st period and letting a weak wrister from the point beat him.

I don't see anyone blaming MAF solely for the first 3 games when everyone rightly pointed out how poorly the Pens played team D in all of those games, but MAF deserves his share of blame and hasn't performed well this series up until the 2nd/3rd periods of last night's game. Matter of fact, he pretty much sucked. How is that some kind of revelation or hating on MAF?

As I have already stated, Pens have no need to replace MAF because he's shown he's a SC champion. That doesn't mean he's immune from criticism when he sucks and he has indeed not been good in this series until last night after the 1st period. That's not hating, that's reality, and it should be damn obvious.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,129
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby malkinshair on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:21 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:
malkinshair wrote:
Rocco wrote:You can't really blame the D when MAF is sweeping pucks into his own net or mangling simple shots on goal.


But keep hatin'. :roll:


Ugh. Theres that word. Fleury was magnificiant last night, and we all support him. But don't act like anyone pointing out how horrid he was in the first 3 1/3 games is only doing it cuz "we all haters." God do I hate that word. He was awful. But we're all behind him, and he came through. Just don't act like the other things didnt exist.


Ugh. There's another person saying he was horrid for 3 1/2 games. Was he horrid in game 1? When? Was he horrid in game 4? When? That's why I used the word hatin'. When you take a valid point of criticism (say games 2 and 3), expand it for dramatic effect to solidify your point (referring to it as 3 1/2 games of putridity), you're obviously doing it for some reason...right?
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,215
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:27 pm
Location: about 455 yards away...with a 2 iron, I think.

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:32 pm

malkinshair wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:
malkinshair wrote:
Rocco wrote:You can't really blame the D when MAF is sweeping pucks into his own net or mangling simple shots on goal.


But keep hatin'. :roll:


Ugh. Theres that word. Fleury was magnificiant last night, and we all support him. But don't act like anyone pointing out how horrid he was in the first 3 1/3 games is only doing it cuz "we all haters." God do I hate that word. He was awful. But we're all behind him, and he came through. Just don't act like the other things didnt exist.


Ugh. There's another person saying he was horrid for 3 1/2 games. Was he horrid in game 1? When? Was he horrid in game 4? When? That's why I used the word hatin'. When you take a valid point of criticism (say games 2 and 3), expand it for dramatic effect to solidify your point (referring to it as 3 1/2 games of putridity), you're obviously doing it for some reason...right?



Good God, so you admit games 2 and 3 are valid criticism but I just hatin' the other times? Game 3 with a 1-0 lead he WHIFFED, on covering the puck in the crease and let it roll in the net. IT WAS AWFUL. He has been kicking rebounds out for miles, and he has knocked even more harmless pucks into his own net and I cannot believe after a night like last night I'm letting someone like you on a message board goad me into bashing him again on the eve of another elmination game. YOU WIN. Seriously you win. Can never point out a players faults. Ever. Because then you automatically hate them.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,578
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: Squares don't fit in my circle.

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby Rocco on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:38 pm

malkinshair wrote:
Rocco wrote:
malkinshair wrote:
Rocco wrote:You can't really blame the D when MAF is sweeping pucks into his own net or mangling simple shots on goal.


He swept 1 puck into his own net, and hasn't been mangling simple shots. He's been facing excellent scoring chances with traffic around and in front of him...mostly short-handed.

But keep hatin'. :roll:


MAF's been giving up goals on a lot of stoppable shots that he handled in the regular season. One really good game doesn't erase the fact he was a shaky train wreck for 3.5 games.


How was he bad in game 1? The breakaway tucked under the bar? The 1-time deflection from the slot? The puck that trickled through your top defenseman, who was standing in the blue paint, to an uncovered Flyer?

How was he bad in game 4? The screened shot that he's got to contend with Briere, known for his overwhelming physical presence, in his blue paint? The 5v3 backdoor pass that's allowed to get thru...that still had to be buried under the bar because he'd gotten over?

The team was a shaky train wreck in games 2 and 3. MAF wasn't good, but his effort wasn't as bad as the defensive effort in front of him.


He has a GAA over 5. Res ipsa loquitor.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 35,636
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:57 pm

malkinshair wrote:
Rocco wrote:
malkinshair wrote:
Rocco wrote:You can't really blame the D when MAF is sweeping pucks into his own net or mangling simple shots on goal.


He swept 1 puck into his own net, and hasn't been mangling simple shots. He's been facing excellent scoring chances with traffic around and in front of him...mostly short-handed.

But keep hatin'. :roll:


MAF's been giving up goals on a lot of stoppable shots that he handled in the regular season. One really good game doesn't erase the fact he was a shaky train wreck for 3.5 games.


How was he bad in game 1? The breakaway tucked under the bar? The 1-time deflection from the slot? The puck that trickled through your top defenseman, who was standing in the blue paint, to an uncovered Flyer?

How was he bad in game 4? The screened shot that he's got to contend with Briere, known for his overwhelming physical presence, in his blue paint? The 5v3 backdoor pass that's allowed to get thru...that still had to be buried under the bar because he'd gotten over?

The team was a shaky train wreck in games 2 and 3. MAF wasn't good, but his effort wasn't as bad as the defensive effort in front of him.


Thats the thing. EVERYONE admits how bad the defense was. Everyone knows it. But Fleury was bad. Only difference is the people with an actual brain who can admit Fleury was bad doesn't rush to D's um, defense. They all played a part. LET IT GO
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,578
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: Squares don't fit in my circle.

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby Staggy on Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:55 am

malkinshair wrote:
Rocco wrote:
malkinshair wrote:
Rocco wrote:You can't really blame the D when MAF is sweeping pucks into his own net or mangling simple shots on goal.


He swept 1 puck into his own net, and hasn't been mangling simple shots. He's been facing excellent scoring chances with traffic around and in front of him...mostly short-handed.

But keep hatin'. :roll:


MAF's been giving up goals on a lot of stoppable shots that he handled in the regular season. One really good game doesn't erase the fact he was a shaky train wreck for 3.5 games.


How was he bad in game 1? The breakaway tucked under the bar? The 1-time deflection from the slot? The puck that trickled through your top defenseman, who was standing in the blue paint, to an uncovered Flyer?

How was he bad in game 4? The screened shot that he's got to contend with Briere, known for his overwhelming physical presence, in his blue paint? The 5v3 backdoor pass that's allowed to get thru...that still had to be buried under the bar because he'd gotten over?

The team was a shaky train wreck in games 2 and 3. MAF wasn't good, but his effort wasn't as bad as the defensive effort in front of him.


LOLOLOLOL
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,868
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:33 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby malkinshair on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:20 am

Rocco wrote:
Spoiler:
malkinshair wrote:
Rocco wrote:
malkinshair wrote:
Rocco wrote:You can't really blame the D when MAF is sweeping pucks into his own net or mangling simple shots on goal.


He swept 1 puck into his own net, and hasn't been mangling simple shots. He's been facing excellent scoring chances with traffic around and in front of him...mostly short-handed.

But keep hatin'. :roll:


MAF's been giving up goals on a lot of stoppable shots that he handled in the regular season. One really good game doesn't erase the fact he was a shaky train wreck for 3.5 games.


How was he bad in game 1? The breakaway tucked under the bar? The 1-time deflection from the slot? The puck that trickled through your top defenseman, who was standing in the blue paint, to an uncovered Flyer?

How was he bad in game 4? The screened shot that he's got to contend with Briere, known for his overwhelming physical presence, in his blue paint? The 5v3 backdoor pass that's allowed to get thru...that still had to be buried under the bar because he'd gotten over?

The team was a shaky train wreck in games 2 and 3. MAF wasn't good, but his effort wasn't as bad as the defensive effort in front of him.


He has a GAA over 5. Res ipsa loquitor.


in numeri fallentes.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,215
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:27 pm
Location: about 455 yards away...with a 2 iron, I think.

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby malkinshair on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:28 am

DudeMan2766 wrote:
Spoiler:
malkinshair wrote:
Rocco wrote:
malkinshair wrote:
Rocco wrote:You can't really blame the D when MAF is sweeping pucks into his own net or mangling simple shots on goal.


He swept 1 puck into his own net, and hasn't been mangling simple shots. He's been facing excellent scoring chances with traffic around and in front of him...mostly short-handed.

But keep hatin'. :roll:


MAF's been giving up goals on a lot of stoppable shots that he handled in the regular season. One really good game doesn't erase the fact he was a shaky train wreck for 3.5 games.


How was he bad in game 1? The breakaway tucked under the bar? The 1-time deflection from the slot? The puck that trickled through your top defenseman, who was standing in the blue paint, to an uncovered Flyer?

How was he bad in game 4? The screened shot that he's got to contend with Briere, known for his overwhelming physical presence, in his blue paint? The 5v3 backdoor pass that's allowed to get thru...that still had to be buried under the bar because he'd gotten over?

The team was a shaky train wreck in games 2 and 3. MAF wasn't good, but his effort wasn't as bad as the defensive effort in front of him.

Thats the thing. EVERYONE admits how bad the defense was. Everyone knows it. But Fleury was bad. Only difference is the people with an actual brain who can admit Fleury was bad doesn't rush to D's um, defense. They all played a part. LET IT GO


Fleury was bad in games 2 and 3...when did I say he wasn't? Fleury wasn't bad in games 1 and 4, and was spectacular in game 5...yet some people (not you, DudeMan) keep trying to turn him into some sort of scapegoat for the team being down 3-2 by placing more blame on him for the losses than the team as a whole.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,215
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:27 pm
Location: about 455 yards away...with a 2 iron, I think.

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby joopen on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:08 am

It's the nature of sports. It's the QB/coach/manager/goaltenders fault pretty much 90% of the time. Just learn to ignore it.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,739
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:17 pm
Location: right behind you

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby shmenguin on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:12 am

Overall, fleury has been bad for most of the series. But he was incredible in game 5.

Seems pretty simple
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,530
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby PghSkins on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:01 am

Fleury is always good for a useless semantical argument between games.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,451
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Beaver

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby offsides on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:30 am

PghSkins wrote:Fleury is always good for a useless semantical argument between games.


Thay has been a given since day one. Not sure who gets more arguments going, him or Staal.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,435
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Scate and 4 guests

e-mail