If Blysma isn't fired

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If Blysma isn't fired

Postby PensOnDVD on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:18 pm

The Pens deserve everything they get. Therrian (who HAD to go when he did) NEVER lost to a lower seed and his teams didn't suck on home ice in the post-season.

This team is stale in the playoffs. The Pens need a new voice, the same shot in the arm that Blysma gave them when he was hired.

I like Disco. But it's time.
PensOnDVD
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: If Blysma isn't fired

Postby littlemoonboot on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:22 pm

The unfortunate thing is that he's a good coach. I'm just not sure the Pens are going to ever win another Cup with him. I'm not sure who a replacement would be, though. I'm doubtful that Shero is going to replace him just yet.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby 68forever on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:29 pm

Am I wrong, I could be but I don't think so, but didn't Blysma recently get a contract extension for something like 4 years? If so do you really think they are going to get rid of him now??
68forever
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bhaw on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:30 pm

68forever wrote:Am I wrong, I could be but I don't think so, but didn't Blysma recently get a contract extension for something like 4 years? If so do you really think they are going to get rid of him now??

They fired MT after he got one. Just for reference.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:30 pm

Bylsma isn't going to be fired.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby AlexPKeaton on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:31 pm

Bylsma better get fired. PK is #1 reason for this disaster, that is on the coach. Absolutely no PK adjustments at all.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Great58 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:31 pm

I say we need a viable #2 goalie. I won't pin the series loss on Fleury, but it would have been nice to have been able to seriously consider a goalie change at some point, like early in game 3. That was never an option.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Durbano on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:32 pm

68forever wrote:Am I wrong, I could be but I don't think so, but didn't Blysma recently get a contract extension for something like 4 years? If so do you really think they are going to get rid of him now??

His extension is for two years -- he is under contract through 2013-14.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The U on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:33 pm

Steve wrote:Bylsma isn't going to be fired.

I'd dump The goalie coach and defensive coach. Keep Bylsma, Granato, and add PP coach. Special teams have cost them two postseasons in a row.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:35 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Bylsma better get fired. PK is #1 reason for this disaster, that is on the coach. Absolutely no PK adjustments at all.

When was the last time the Pens had above average play from their special teams?

Shero needs to pay very close attention to what's made other teams successful in the area of special teams and implement some changes.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby offsides on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:46 pm

If so, what needs done? These results are unsatisfactory. You play and practice all year to do well in the playoffs. Being dominated like this must be addressed. Philly is a good example of a team making necessary changes.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ffemtreed on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:54 pm

Remember, HCDB was a rookie coach in the NHL, he too is learning. Our team still has a few years left to get another cup. This bitter loss will be a learning experience for the whole team. It shows we need some minor retooling, but the sting of the loss will be next years motivation. The past few years this team had excuses for losing, mainly injuries, but this year we got beat and were healthy, no excuses.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:55 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:Bylsma better get fired. PK is #1 reason for this disaster, that is on the coach. Absolutely no PK adjustments at all.

When was the last time the Pens had above average play from their special teams?

The entire season prior to this series? I think the PP was at a better than season average clip in this series as well. The PK was obviously horrible, and its inexplicable given they were 2nd (I think) in the NHL on the PK over 82 games.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:57 pm

I agree. It would strike me a very non-Shero move.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dman66 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:58 pm

I think Bylsma will be back, though if things start off really rocky next year he could be gone really quick. I'd like to see Meloche go, though many of us have been saying that for a couple years now. Ugh. So disappointed, don't know where to start....
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GenoSidStaalsy on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:58 pm

I think Bylsma is good strategically, but not tactically. And you need to be both.
GenoSidStaalsy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensOnDVD on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:02 pm

slappybrown wrote:

How much rope did Therrian get again? And he was coming off losing in the FINALS. Not back to back losses to lower seeded teams.
PensOnDVD
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:05 pm

PensOnDVD wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

How much rope did Therrian get again? And he was coming off losing in the FINALS. Not back to back losses to lower seeded teams.

I don't think Bylsma has lost this team in the same fashion that Therrien had. Therrien's 09 team was trending to the lottery (IIRC, we were in the 9 spot when the ax fell). Losing in the playoffs to the Flyers, while still unacceptable, is not the same as Therrien's situation.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:07 pm

Much like the players work in things DB needs to come back with a trap he can enact when needed. Enough of this just get to your game crap. It needs to be their game isn't working there is another option that can be enacted the next shift. It needs to be like that with even strength systems, PK approaches, and PP approaches. Enough of the "our way works all the time" crap
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensOnDVD on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:07 pm

slappybrown wrote:
PensOnDVD wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

I don't think Bylsma has lost this team in the same fashion that Therrien had. Therrien's 09 team was trending to the lottery (IIRC, we were in the 9 spot when the ax fell). Losing in the playoffs to the Flyers, while still unacceptable, is not the same as Therrien's situation.

You're right. This is worse. Three straight series losses to lower seeded teams and can't win on home ice in the playoffs.

Other than that this is much better than Therrian.
PensOnDVD
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:10 pm

Feel free to include TB in your calculations. I don't even know what you're arguing with me about. All I said was that it didn't strike me as a move that Shero would make under these circumstances. I'm not even defending Bylsma here beyond offering the lukewarm recommendation that he hasn't lost the team, unlike Therrien.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:11 pm

slappybrown wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

The entire season prior to this series? I think the PP was at a better than season average clip in this series as well. The PK was obviously horrible, and its inexplicable given they were 2nd (I think) in the NHL on the PK over 82 games.

I could care less about the regular season (who won the presidents trophy in 2008-9 when the Pens won the cup? - don't cheat and look it up...)

My point is that regular season performance is nice entertainment, but when you have the best talent in the league, getting bounced in the first round is unacceptable. Especially when it comes from sub par special teams play.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby MikeEnIke on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:12 pm

littlemoonboot wrote:The unfortunate thing is that he's a good coach. I'm just not sure the Pens are going to ever win another Cup with him. I'm not sure who a replacement would be, though. I'm doubtful that Shero is going to replace him just yet.

This.
MikeEnIke
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby offsides on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:12 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
I could care less about the regular season (who won the presidents trophy in 2008-9 when the Pens won the cup? - don't cheat and look it up...)

My point is that regular season performance is nice entertainment, but when you have the best talent in the league, getting bounced in the first round is unacceptable. Especially when it comes from sub par special teams play.

Yep :thumb:
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:12 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

I could care less about the regular season (who won the presidents trophy in 2008-9 when the Pens won the cup? - don't cheat and look it up...

Yea, I agree with you obviously in terms of playoff v. regular season. The PP I don't have any issue with. They were fine in this series. I have no explanation for why a PK can go from the best in the NHL to comedic incompetence in the span of 6 games. The regular season is a dress rehearsal for the playoffs, so you obviously want your special teams humming along going into the playoffs, making it even more inexplicable.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins