If Blysma isn't fired

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: If Blysma isn't fired

Postby Rylan on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:24 am

seabiscuit wrote:
Rylan wrote:
seabiscuit wrote:
Rylan wrote:Bylsma has more playoff wins than Milbury does in fewer years. Pretty good for 1 flash in the pan.

You must be counting the baby pens. Milbury had 5 in TWO years. Bylsma has 5 in 4 years. 0 in the last two years.

Bylsma has 28 wins in 4 playoff appearances. Just so happens, he also has only coached for years. In Milbury's 6 years where he was behind the bench he had 23 wins in 2 playoff appearances. He never won a cup and wasn't even capable of giving his team a chance to win.

But I really have no idea why this is happening right now.

I just looked at the 1989-1990 roster that Milbury took to the Stanley Cup finals..not quite Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Letang. He won as many series as Bylsma and he is a clown.

That team has a lot of talent on the blueline and Cam Neely was a stud.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby seabiscuit on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:35 am

Rylan wrote:
seabiscuit wrote:
Rylan wrote:
seabiscuit wrote:
Rylan wrote:Bylsma has more playoff wins than Milbury does in fewer years. Pretty good for 1 flash in the pan.

You must be counting the baby pens. Milbury had 5 in TWO years. Bylsma has 5 in 4 years. 0 in the last two years.

Bylsma has 28 wins in 4 playoff appearances. Just so happens, he also has only coached for years. In Milbury's 6 years where he was behind the bench he had 23 wins in 2 playoff appearances. He never won a cup and wasn't even capable of giving his team a chance to win.

But I really have no idea why this is happening right now.

I just looked at the 1989-1990 roster that Milbury took to the Stanley Cup finals..not quite Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Letang. He won as many series as Bylsma and he is a clown.

That team has a lot of talent on the blueline and Cam Neely was a stud.

A lot of talent.....who was equivalent to Crosby and Malkin?
seabiscuit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penmyst on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:51 am

Call a timeout, guys! Seabiscuit is eating your lunches at the moment.

Get to your game and stop him!
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby moondart on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:08 am

Ange
Puck Drama wrote:If not Shero or Bylsma than where is the change? Shero does not have the acumen to get the right players and the Bylsma system fails in post season. This team is the crapitols of the last few years.

This is why I think that it is more than just a few trades that will be needed. If you look at the lack of defensive "thought", you can tell that a coaching change might be in the cards.
moondart
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RxBandit66 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:57 am

moondart wrote:Ange
Puck Drama wrote:If not Shero or Bylsma than where is the change? Shero does not have the acumen to get the right players and the Bylsma system fails in post season. This team is the crapitols of the last few years.

This is why I think that it is more than just a few trades that will be needed. If you look at the lack of defensive "thought", you can tell that a coaching change might be in the cards.

I agree. But the team will need to get younger, faster, and bigger in size. Fortunately, young players cost much less than pricey veterans, so perhaps the Pens can clear out some cap space while also managing to get a little grittier. None of this will matter, however, if Fleury cannot stop a shot. They will need a backup who can push him, and if he falters, push him out.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Guinness on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:05 am

seabiscuit wrote:
Rylan wrote:
seabiscuit wrote:
Who said he doesn't share the blame for losses (or must share the plaudits for success)? You do know that Bylsma alone cannot win, nor lose, games or series, right? Those "outside forces" take the form of other teams, players, injuries, bounces etc. If only I knew the game was played out solely in Bylsma's head, we could save time and he could just tell us if we win or lose before the season starts.

The point is the entire resume doesn't demand or require a firing. Were he fired, it wouldn't be crazy -- your inability to acknowledge keeping him is not crazy is the only self-deception going on here. Giving him another year given the body of work is a reasonable decision.

The body of work. You act like he is Scotty Bowman. I do know he alone cannot win. He could argue a call so Crosby doesnt have to. Stand up to another coach so Granato doesn't have to. Actually talk to players during a timeout instead of nervously drinking water. Make an adjustment instead of "we are going to stick to our system".

Milbury is that you?

Millbury won 5 playoff series in two years. How many has mustache boy won in 4 years?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
Where Mike Milbury keeps all of his Stanley Cups and Jack Adams Awards
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BigMcK on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:40 pm

Where Milbury keeps his Cups for Jack Daniels? Wait, did I read that right???
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:05 pm

Seasbiscuit is what we call "HEATING UP" in the NBA Jam game.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby seabiscuit on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:20 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:Seasbiscuit is what we call "HEATING UP" in the NBA Jam game.

Just saw my credit card statement. $870 for three FIRST round games. I now support keeping Bylsma, I can't afford multiple playoff series.
seabiscuit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby slappybrown on Wed May 02, 2012 9:38 am

Mike Milbury? Really?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed May 02, 2012 9:58 am

slappybrown wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:Bylsma better get fired. PK is #1 reason for this disaster, that is on the coach. Absolutely no PK adjustments at all.

When was the last time the Pens had above average play from their special teams?

The entire season prior to this series? I think the PP was at a better than season average clip in this series as well. The PK was obviously horrible, and its inexplicable given they were 2nd (I think) in the NHL on the PK over 82 games.

I could care less about the regular season (who won the presidents trophy in 2008-9 when the Pens won the cup? - don't cheat and look it up...

My point is that regular season performance is nice entertainment, but when you have the best talent in the league, getting bounced in the first round is unacceptable. Especially when it comes from sub par special teams play.

Yea, I agree with you obviously in terms of playoff v. regular season. The PP I don't have any issue with. They were fine in this series. I have no explanation for why a PK can go from the best in the NHL to comedic incompetence in the span of 6 games. The regular season is a dress rehearsal for the playoffs, so you obviously want your special teams humming along going into the playoffs, making it even more inexplicable.

Not making judgements on the HCDB'S being fired or anything but did anyone watch the Flyers game yesterday? If not take a look at the box score. The Devils completely shut down the Flyers PP and to be honest I don't think they even got a shot off. Bryz was fantastic through 2 periods and the Devils dominated play the entire game finally breaking through in the 3rd.

My point is they are doing something right over there and I don't want to hea that the flyers match up well with the pens cause that has nothing to do with the PK.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 02, 2012 10:03 am

seabiscuit wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Seasbiscuit is what we call "HEATING UP" in the NBA Jam game.

Just saw my credit card statement. $870 for three FIRST round games. I now support keeping Bylsma, I can't afford multiple playoff series.

HE'S ON FIREEEEEEEEEE

Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins