If Blysma isn't fired

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: If Blysma isn't fired

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:02 pm

Rocco wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Is the mob the new kliq?

It's a subset of the clique.

SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:06 pm

from friedman's 30 thoughts

24. As Shero, head coach Dan Bylsma and Pittsburgh's hockey operations department break down the season, here is a stat they must explain. Crosby returned March 15 and, to that point, the Penguins had allowed 2.5 goals per game. Afterwards, it rose to 3.9, including playoffs.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion ... ughts.html

i knew it was bad, but i didn't know it was that bad. and this doesn't even take into account games like nashville - where we should have let up about 5-6 goals but won 5-2 instead.

obstruction, a few bad bounces, blah blah blah. THIS is why the flyers beat us.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:36 pm

shmenguin wrote:from friedman's 30 thoughts

24. As Shero, head coach Dan Bylsma and Pittsburgh's hockey operations department break down the season, here is a stat they must explain. Crosby returned March 15 and, to that point, the Penguins had allowed 2.5 goals per game. Afterwards, it rose to 3.9, including playoffs.

i knew it was bad, but i didn't know it was that bad. and this doesn't even take into account games like nashville - where we should have let up about 5-6 goals but won 5-2 instead.

I know the playoffs inflated this some and I knew we were letting in a lot more goals, but WOW! That is a big change in a little over a month.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Puck Drama on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:41 pm

If not Shero or Bylsma than where is the change? Shero does not have the acumen to get the right players and the Bylsma system fails in post season. This team is the crapitols of the last few years.
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Three Stars on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:43 pm

shmenguin wrote:from friedman's 30 thoughts

The next comment is also interesting.

25. One NHL coach doesn't think Crosby is the issue: "They started to believe their press clippings and lost attention to detail."
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:58 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:
To keep saying that is silly. The Caps have won NOTHING. You should bury these things in your dissertations so that you keep your rep.

Don't think I'm not noticing all the shots you've been taking at me. If you don't like my posts, I don't really care. But don't take shots at me in every thread because you're butt hurt that I was right about everything I said before the playoffs and you were wrong. That's the only thing I'm going to say to you, ignored, good bye.

I don't remember you saying Fleury was going to fail to make any saves and give up 2 soft goals per game.

I pretty much ignore your pontifications anyway, so we're cool. I notice them due the sheer length and volume, but I don't read too many.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby slappybrown on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:15 pm

DelPen wrote:So the two wins saved Bylsma's job and nothing is going to get fixed. We will see long win streaks of domination and then streaks of incompetance and then we will lose in the first round again to a team we should beat and everyone will be wondering why.

They could have got swept and I doubt he'd be fired. NHL GMs don't make decisions on the basis of two games, or a single playoff series.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby seabiscuit on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:16 pm

slappybrown wrote:
DelPen wrote:So the two wins saved Bylsma's job and nothing is going to get fixed. We will see long win streaks of domination and then streaks of incompetance and then we will lose in the first round again to a team we should beat and everyone will be wondering why.

They could have got swept and I doubt he'd be fired. NHL GMs don't make decisions on the basis of two games, or a single playoff series.

Or 3 playoff series it turns out.
seabiscuit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:45 pm

seabiscuit wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

:thumb:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:16 pm

seabiscuit wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

Because those 3 playoff series are his entire body of work.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:17 pm

The Pens need to win the President's trophy so they can hang the "regular season champions" banner
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:21 pm

SolidSnake wrote:The Pens need to win the President's trophy so they can hang the "regular season champions" banner

Oh hey, remember that time we also won the Stanley Cup after being in the 9 spot when he was hired? No? Oh, ok. This whole Caps like comparison is nonsense. The notion that the team's performance in the regular season is entirely irrelevant is foolish.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:57 pm

slappybrown wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:The Pens need to win the President's trophy so they can hang the "regular season champions" banner

Oh hey, remember that time we also won the Stanley Cup after being in the 9 spot when he was hired? No? Oh, ok. This whole Caps like comparison is nonsense. The notion that the team's performance in the regular season is entirely irrelevant is foolish.

They haven't done anything since winning the cup. With the talent they have, it's inexcusable. The people that don't want Bylsma fired are hilarious. He's a nice guy, right? I'd rather see Byslma fired then one of the big 3 traded.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby 66 Fighters of Foo on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:28 pm

slappybrown wrote:
seabiscuit wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

:thumb:
66 Fighters of Foo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penmyst on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:06 am

So let me get this straight, for future reference:

A coach suffers three consecutive early exits in the playoffs, in humiliating fashion to inferior teams all 3 times.

And when fans think that guy ought to be let go, they are afflicted by "mob mentality" and can be disregarded because the slur is that mobs don't have a brain.

Correct?
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:57 am

penmyst wrote:So let me get this straight, for future reference:

A coach suffers three consecutive early exits in the playoffs, in humiliating fashion to inferior teams all 3 times.

And when fans think that guy ought to be let go, they are afflicted by "mob mentality" and can be disregarded because the slur is that mobs don't have a brain.

Correct?

lol what? 2 of the 3 were against equal or better teams. Only the Montreal lose is really that bad a lose to me.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bh on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:53 am

Rylan wrote:

Correct?

lol what? 2 of the 3 were against equal or better teams. Only the Montreal lose is really that bad a lose to me.
lol what? This year wasn't that bad? 8-4 losses in the playoffs are acceptible to you? The friggin Islanders wouldn't have given up 8 goals any game if they would have played Philly. That is downright embarassing and unacceptible. If you feel this series was close and the better team won... I just don't know what to say. We were blown apart.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:14 am

Rylan wrote:

Correct?

You don't consider this loss to Philly bad? The Pens played like garbage for the majority of this series. Totally inexcusable performance.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rocco on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:18 am

Rylan wrote:

Correct?

The Pens were the higher seeded team in all 3 series. Over the course of the regular season they proved themselves to be the better team. Therefore, they lost to 3 inferior teams.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penmyst on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:29 am

Rylan wrote:

I don't know what series YOU were watching this year. But the loss to Philly was about as humiliating as it gets. 2 games, and maybe a total aggregate of 7 periods (out of 18+), were the Pens even competing with the Flyers.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby seabiscuit on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:32 am

slappybrown wrote:
seabiscuit wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

Were you sad to see Recchi go?
seabiscuit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rylan on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:05 pm

penmyst wrote:
Rylan wrote:

I don't know what series YOU were watching this year. But the loss to Philly was about as humiliating as it gets. 2 games, and maybe a total aggregate of 7 periods (out of 18+), were the Pens even competing with the Flyers.

Ummmm, to be honest the Pens were closer than the score indicates. But going into the Philly series I had a feeling this was a team the Pens didn't matchup against. And hell, out of the 18 periods I would say the Pens were in all of them except 1 each from games 1 and 2. All 3 from game 3. That equals around 5 for those counting. The Pens dominated game 4. So through 4 games the score is 7-5 Pens. Game 5 add 2 to the Pens and add 1 to the Flyers. Score after 5 is 9-6 and then add 3 for the Flyers and omg you have an even series.

Also, if you honestly want to count the Lightning series then lol go ahead. That is a terrible argument but it cool, whatever makes your rage rational.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens15 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:34 pm

I brought this up before, and it's a pretty crazy idea, but what about Phil Jackson? The guy has a proven track record of working with HOF players and getting the most out of them. Two hands full of rings would command instant respect. I mean sure, he probably doesn't know a ton about hockey, but I'm sure he knows enough. Obviously you would need some good assistants to deal with the hockey type stuff, but the head coach position is more of a CEO type of thing anyway, in business you see guys cross industries all the time. Would be one of the most interesting sports stories ever maybe.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:54 pm

Pens15 wrote:I brought this up before, and it's a pretty crazy idea, but what about Phil Jackson? The guy has a proven track record of working with HOF players and getting the most out of them. Two hands full of rings would command instant respect. I mean sure, he probably doesn't know a ton about hockey, but I'm sure he knows enough. Obviously you would need some good assistants to deal with the hockey type stuff, but the head coach position is more of a CEO type of thing anyway, in business you see guys cross industries all the time. Would be one of the most interesting sports stories ever maybe.

He probably knows Ron Burkle, right? This is out of the box thinking. :thumb:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:16 pm

seabiscuit wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
seabiscuit wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

Were you sad to see Recchi go?

This is definitely a reasonable, logical, and appropriate comparison.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins