If Blysma isn't fired

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: If Blysma isn't fired

Postby slappybrown on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:19 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:The Pens need to win the President's trophy so they can hang the "regular season champions" banner

Oh hey, remember that time we also won the Stanley Cup after being in the 9 spot when he was hired? No? Oh, ok. This whole Caps like comparison is nonsense. The notion that the team's performance in the regular season is entirely irrelevant is foolish.

They haven't done anything since winning the cup. With the talent they have, it's inexcusable. The people that don't want Bylsma fired are hilarious. He's a nice guy, right? I'd rather see Byslma fired then one of the big 3 traded.

What does nice guy have to do with it? Who cares?

Year 1: Stanley Cup
Year 2: Second Round
Year 3: First Round (minus your top two players)
Year 4: First Round

The last hurts the most if you ask me, but that resume does not demand a firing.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:21 pm

penmyst wrote:So let me get this straight, for future reference:

A coach suffers three consecutive early exits in the playoffs, in humiliating fashion to inferior teams all 3 times.

And when fans think that guy ought to be let go, they are afflicted by "mob mentality" and can be disregarded because the slur is that mobs don't have a brain.

Correct?

Hey remember that time when the "humiliating" loss was in a series in which the two players the team is built around were injured and hadnt played in months and the coach won the highest award for his profession in that same year? No? Me neither.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:49 pm

slappybrown wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:The Pens need to win the President's trophy so they can hang the "regular season champions" banner

Oh hey, remember that time we also won the Stanley Cup after being in the 9 spot when he was hired? No? Oh, ok. This whole Caps like comparison is nonsense. The notion that the team's performance in the regular season is entirely irrelevant is foolish.

They haven't done anything since winning the cup. With the talent they have, it's inexcusable. The people that don't want Bylsma fired are hilarious. He's a nice guy, right? I'd rather see Byslma fired then one of the big 3 traded.

What does nice guy have to do with it? Who cares?

Year 1: Stanley Cup
Year 2: Second Round
Year 3: First Round (minus your top two players)
Year 4: First Round

The last hurts the most if you ask me, but that resume does not demand a firing.

That's fine, its not like my opinion of wanting Byslma fired has any merit, it's not like they are gonna fire him since I want him gone. They're gonna look for any single positive aspect to keep him so I'm prepared for him to be here for the long haul. For the people that are defending Bylsma that's fine but he's not going anywhere so they should be happy.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby seabiscuit on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:12 pm

This is definitely a reasonable, logical, and appropriate comparison.[/quote]

Yes it is. He wasn't good for the team any longer and some people still clung on to his past.
seabiscuit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penmyst on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:54 pm

slappybrown wrote:

A coach suffers three consecutive early exits in the playoffs, in humiliating fashion to inferior teams all 3 times.

And when fans think that guy ought to be let go, they are afflicted by "mob mentality" and can be disregarded because the slur is that mobs don't have a brain.

Correct?

Hey remember that time when the "humiliating" loss was in a series in which the two players the team is built around were injured and hadnt played in months and the coach won the highest award for his profession in that same year? No? Me neither.

So you consider blowing a 3 - 1 lead to a bad team acceptable because of injuries? The same injuries that didn't seem to be a problem while getting up 3 - 1?

Maybe taken in a vacuum, it could be forgiven. But when its samiched in between two similar debacles? That's what teh kids call a "trend".

Considering that in the discussion about HCDB's job here in Pensland is hardly unwarranted.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:55 pm

penmyst wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

Correct?

So you consider blowing a 3 - 1 lead to a bad team acceptable because of injuries? The same injuries that didn't seem to be a problem while getting up 3 - 1?

Maybe taken in a vacuum, it could be forgiven. But when its samiched in between two similar debacles? That's what teh kids call a "trend".

Considering that in the discussion about HCDB's job here in Pensland is hardly unwarranted.

Pens shoudn't have even been in that position. You do realize that there are other teams that take the ice against the Pens right? The Lightening should never have been down 3-1.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:52 am

penmyst wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

Correct?

Is losing in 7 to a goalie playing out of his mind a debacle? Because the MTL series was disappointing, but its not the first nor the last time a team rides a goalie to a win over a team that is superior. It was a disappointing loss, but this idea that the Pens should sweep every round is hilarious.

On TB, if this is the way you look at it, I dont know what to say.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby seabiscuit on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:57 am

from about.com psychology:
Rationalization is a defense mechanism that involves explaining an unacceptable behavior or feeling in a rational or logical manner, avoiding the true reasons for the behavior.

Rationalization not only prevents anxiety, it may also protect self-esteem and self-concept. When confronted by success or failure, people tend to attribute achievement to their own (Bylsma) qualities and skills while failures are blamed on other people or outside forces.
seabiscuit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meow on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:05 am

Are we not allowed to give credit to the teams that beat us? Is it always our fault when we lose?
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:08 am

meow wrote:Are we not allowed to give credit to the teams that beat us? Is it always our fault when we lose?

Halak played the best series out of any goalie I can remember with how little help he was getting from his team. Bylsma was not at fault for the outcome of that series. This year was extremely disappointing though and he should take some blame for it.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:10 am

seabiscuit wrote:from about.com psychology:
Rationalization is a defense mechanism that involves explaining an unacceptable behavior or feeling in a rational or logical manner, avoiding the true reasons for the behavior.

Rationalization not only prevents anxiety, it may also protect self-esteem and self-concept. When confronted by success or failure, people tend to attribute achievement to their own (Bylsma) qualities and skills while failures are blamed on other people or outside forces.

Who said he doesn't share the blame for losses (or must share the plaudits for success)? You do know that Bylsma alone cannot win, nor lose, games or series, right? Those "outside forces" take the form of other teams, players, injuries, bounces etc. If only I knew the game was played out solely in Bylsma's head, we could save time and he could just tell us if we win or lose before the season starts.

The point is the entire resume doesn't demand or require a firing. Were he fired, it wouldn't be crazy -- your inability to acknowledge keeping him is not crazy is the only self-deception going on here. Giving him another year given the body of work is a reasonable decision.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:11 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
meow wrote:Are we not allowed to give credit to the teams that beat us? Is it always our fault when we lose?

Halak played the best series out of any goalie I can remember with how little help he was getting from his team. Bylsma was not at fault for the outcome of that series. This year was extremely disappointing though and he should take some blame for it.

What if the Flyers go on to win the cup? Will that earn them a little credit?
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:19 am

Bylsma should be out on the street by now. The whipping boy for next season is going to be a gimme at this point.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:20 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:Bylsma should be out on the street by now. The whipping boy for next season is going to be a gimme at this point.

Your increasing hatred is enough for 40 people right now in that whipping boy mob.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby seabiscuit on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:22 am

Who said he doesn't share the blame for losses (or must share the plaudits for success)? You do know that Bylsma alone cannot win, nor lose, games or series, right? Those "outside forces" take the form of other teams, players, injuries, bounces etc. If only I knew the game was played out solely in Bylsma's head, we could save time and he could just tell us if we win or lose before the season starts.

The point is the entire resume doesn't demand or require a firing. Were he fired, it wouldn't be crazy -- your inability to acknowledge keeping him is not crazy is the only self-deception going on here. Giving him another year given the body of work is a reasonable decision.

The body of work. You act like he is Scotty Bowman. I do know he alone cannot win. He could argue a call so Crosby doesnt have to. Stand up to another coach so Granato doesn't have to. Actually talk to players during a timeout instead of nervously drinking water. Make an adjustment instead of "we are going to stick to our system".
seabiscuit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rylan on Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:14 pm

seabiscuit wrote:

The body of work. You act like he is Scotty Bowman. I do know he alone cannot win. He could argue a call so Crosby doesnt have to. Stand up to another coach so Granato doesn't have to. Actually talk to players during a timeout instead of nervously drinking water. Make an adjustment instead of "we are going to stick to our system".

Milbury is that you?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck Drama on Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:45 pm

Only one draft pick made by Shero has resulted in a regular NHL player? What does that say? Even if Depres makes it, that is still only 2 playing in the NHL.
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby seabiscuit on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:28 pm

Rylan wrote:
seabiscuit wrote:

Milbury is that you?

Millbury won 5 playoff series in two years. How many has mustache boy won in 4 years?
seabiscuit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rylan on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:35 pm

seabiscuit wrote:
Rylan wrote:
seabiscuit wrote:

Milbury is that you?

Millbury won 5 playoff series in two years. How many has mustache boy won in 4 years?

Milbury then proceeded to take the Islanders to the depths of hell that they have since never recovered. But you know in those 5 series wins, how many resulted in cups? Or better yet, coaching records, Milbury had 2 flash in the pan years then became a joke.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby seabiscuit on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:40 pm

Rylan wrote:
seabiscuit wrote:
Rylan wrote:
seabiscuit wrote:

Milbury is that you?

Milbury then proceeded to take the Islanders to the depths of hell that they have since never recovered. But you know in those 5 series wins, how many resulted in cups? Or better yet, coaching records, Milbury had 2 flash in the pan years then became a joke.

Bylsma had one flash in the pan year then became a joke, Imagine the damage Bylsma could do as a GM
seabiscuit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rylan on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:48 pm

Bylsma has more playoff wins than Milbury does in fewer years. Pretty good for 1 flash in the pan.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nizzy on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:55 pm

Not saying Bylsma is a bad coach, not saying he's a good coach.

However what Bylsma has showed me is that he's incapable of making adjustments, not just during games (which you should do) but even inbetween games.

It's blatantly obvious and bad too. Just stands there with his hands crossed like "nope, I'm not doing anything different" Badger Bob would write down things all game long and make adjustments. Not just herp derp dump it! Get to our game!!! That will really fire them up!! Get to our game!!! Get to it!!

He won't get fired, but he will after next year. He doesn't know how to make changes.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby seabiscuit on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:01 am

Rylan wrote:Bylsma has more playoff wins than Milbury does in fewer years. Pretty good for 1 flash in the pan.

You must be counting the baby pens. Milbury had 5 in TWO years. Bylsma has 5 in 4 years. 0 in the last two years.
seabiscuit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rylan on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:08 am

seabiscuit wrote:
Rylan wrote:Bylsma has more playoff wins than Milbury does in fewer years. Pretty good for 1 flash in the pan.

You must be counting the baby pens. Milbury had 5 in TWO years. Bylsma has 5 in 4 years. 0 in the last two years.

Bylsma has 28 wins in 4 playoff appearances. Just so happens, he also has only coached for years. In Milbury's 6 years where he was behind the bench he had 23 wins in 2 playoff appearances. He never won a cup and wasn't even capable of giving his team a chance to win.

But I really have no idea why this is happening right now.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby seabiscuit on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:17 am

Rylan wrote:
seabiscuit wrote:

Bylsma has 28 wins in 4 playoff appearances. Just so happens, he also has only coached for years. In Milbury's 6 years where he was behind the bench he had 23 wins in 2 playoff appearances. He never won a cup and wasn't even capable of giving his team a chance to win.

But I really have no idea why this is happening right now.

I just looked at the 1989-1990 roster that Milbury took to the Stanley Cup finals..not quite Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Letang. He won as many series as Bylsma and he is a clown.
seabiscuit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins