How do Pens think fans swallow another 10% tix increase now?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: How do Pens think fans swallow another 10% tix increase

Postby She'sTheFastest on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:14 pm

I like to sprinkle rat poop on my Ho-Hos. You guys have never done?
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:14 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
Factorial wrote:The one's who want to keep their tickets will swallow the price increase. Those who do not, will be replaced by waiting list holders.

Those who do not, MIGHT be replaced by waiting list holders

I was on the waiting list and had myself removed in March. The price they are asking is ridiculous.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby righton on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:55 pm

i got my half season tickets this year.. had a choice when called.. first offered lower bowl,, way too pricey for me,, asked for cheapest in the house.. no probs.. you do have options.. $40 a seat is in my budget for sure.. although i will say that just a day before I was called, i was #182 on the list.. I wonder how many did decline seats due to cost?
righton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:59 pm

moondart wrote:What the article DOESN'T state is that it raised those prices 40% over 3 years....for a team that pooped the bed for the last 3 years.

I guess you missed the team with 3 1st overall picks in the last 3 years having a higher price than the Pens...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:59 am

pens_CT wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:If u go to a lot of games I am guaranteeing you that at over 15 games they had 1,000 plus student....easy.
For those ofyounthat keep saying supply and demand: they raised prices to the point they had so many playoff cancels they offered us the chance to buy more. Why do you think wait list folks are gonna buy at those prices?

second I have been on record as saying in the past and got bashed but something isn't right. The prices were increased so high it's not reasonable, they are the only team to sell white out shirts, and they have cut back on everything you can think of.

It goes beyond the normal thinking, they are making less money than they thought they would with all these new arena deals. Plain and simple. Nobody in their right mind raises prices to the points they have.

According to this story the pens average ticket price is 6 dollars above the NHL average. http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/stars/post/_/id/13315/stars-have-cheapest-ticket-in-nhl.
Don't see how this is excessive, compared to some of the long-time losers with higher prices.

That doesn't include all seats (igloo seats and luxury) and throwing in a few cheaper areas drastically reduce the price per ticket. Plus still doesn't address playoffs and insane price increase.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:12 am

TheHammer24 wrote:Oh I'm not suggesting the Waiting List people should get the tickets, I just friggin' despise when people complain about ticket prices. Let the market determine the price. It's ludicrous that STHs have been able to pay for their tickets through resale profits for the past few years. Bottom line - if you don't like the price, don't pay it.

Look, for 7 years as a season holder I defended the pens prices to death. I even defended the 20% increase into the new building. I could care less about trinkets and defended them cutting back on benefits, I told everyone the exact same thing you just wrote.

New arena, great team, owners who spend to the cap. Prices still somewhat reasonable.

But I refuse to defend them now. I don't care what anyone says - we were told the new arena deals brings so much money in better lease for team that our prices would be ok. With the prices this high they either screwed up bad or are sleeping on a bed of $100 bills nightly.

So you are telling me that 40% over 3 seasons and 30% over one playoff season is not excessive or disgusting? Especially when they won't even spring for 4 year old Korean kids to make me a free white out shirt? Who made that decision? How much do cheap shirts cost? $1? Raise my prices 31% and give me a freaking shirt since they are the only team that "asks" for fans to wear a color? That's just stupid.

Not too mention the market has determined their increases were stupid since so many people didn't buy their playoffs.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:08 am

yeah man, screw charity, I want a free tshirt!!! Love all the anger coming out after a tough loss.

I have so many free white tshirts I use them as rags. Found the "experience the evolution" one the other day. Colby and Whitney are on it..haha.

I will be monitoring this thread for some lulz.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dietz on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:18 am

i think it's time to get rid of whiteout.....go to gold and change them every game like the flyers.......i think part of the selling of the shirts is we have a owner that leans toward charities(no a bad thing) so the attitude is different
dietz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:22 am

JeffDFD wrote:yeah man, screw charity, I want a free tshirt!!! Love all the anger coming out after a tough loss.

I have so many free white tshirts I use them as rags. Found the "experience the evolution" one the other day. Colby and Whitney are on it..haha.

Not one person actually cares about getting a white t-shirt. and if you looked at it logically you would see why it upsets paying customers. What they are doing with the t-shirts is just stupid and that is why people care. Asking fans to do a white out, sending you to Dicks to spend more money and giving the money to charity is just them saving cash not having to buy them. Its not noble of them to give the money to charity, its a cash save on their part and a small one at that given they are making $2 - $3 million per game probably on tickets alone let alone everything else. They are the only team in the league that pulls that stunt - that is why everyone in Philly was in orange.

I guess the Pens are still in the "they cant do anything wrong even though its painfully obvious phase" to some fans.

They raised prices 30% and took away an item they used to give you for free and are now asking you to buy it. How is that not obviously a slap in the face regardless
of how silly getting a t-shirt is.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:26 am

dietz wrote:i think it's time to get rid of whiteout.....go to gold and change them every game like the flyers.......i think part of the selling of the shirts is we have a owner that leans toward charities(no a bad thing) so the attitude is different

I respect your opinion but I highly doubt in the board room they decided to stop doing free whiteouts so some of the money would go to charities. That makes zero sense. They saved money and are using charity to hide the fact they did it.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:30 am

Just in case you forgot.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:35 am

moondart wrote:
What the article DOESN'T state is that it raised those prices 40% over 3 years....for a team that pooped the bed for the last 3 years.

Probably because their expenses have increased during the past 3 years. And prior to that, they were obviously underpriced as people were selling for much higher prices on the secondary market. The Pens just caught up during the last 3 years.

Like others have said, if you want to make it known that the Pens are outpricing their demand, don't buy the tickets. THAT IS THE ONLY WAY.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:53 am

newarenanow wrote:
moondart wrote:
What the article DOESN'T state is that it raised those prices 40% over 3 years....for a team that pooped the bed for the last 3 years.

Probably because their expenses have increased during the past 3 years. And prior to that, they were obviously underpriced as people were selling for much higher prices on the secondary market. The Pens just caught up during the last 3 years.

Like others have said, if you want to make it known that the Pens are outpricing their demand, don't buy the tickets. THAT IS THE ONLY WAY.

Even if that is the case, I can not accept that their expenses in a new arena climbed 40% plus they were already under priced plus all of the extra money they are getting on food, alcohol, parking, concert money and whatever else in the new building isnt even remotely keeping up with higher rent and expenses.

Your last point is absolutely correct because it already happened when they had too many playoff cancels this season.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:57 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
moondart wrote:

Even if that is the case, I can not accept that their expenses in a new arena climbed 40% plus they were already under priced plus all of the extra money they are getting on food, alcohol, parking, concert money and whatever else in the new building isnt even remotely keeping up with higher rent and expenses.

Your last point is absolutely correct because it already happened when they had too many playoff cancels this season.

I think the fact that previous to this year, people were making a killing on the secondary market had the Pens realize they were leaving a lot of money on the table.

Hence the tickets were underpriced.

I think they are right at the bubble right now IMO.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby drnort on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:57 am

MRandall25 wrote:Image

Just in case you forgot.

And in 2012, that has zero to do with this discussion.

I am not sure why so many people get offended when paying customers give feedback on prices. The "dont like it, dont buy it" responses are always absurd.
drnort
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:58 am

drnort wrote: The "dont like it, dont buy it" responses are always absurd.

I don't understand how that is absurd. That is how the market works.

I complain about some things, but if you (and I mean anyone) truly thinks it's ridiculous and outrpiced, then don't purchase it. If enough people do it, then prices will come down. But if people continue to pay, no matter how much they complain, nothing is going to change.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:00 am

JeffDFD wrote:yeah man, screw charity, I want a free tshirt!!! Love all the anger coming out after a tough loss.

Not one person actually cares about getting a white t-shirt. and if you looked at it logically you would see why it upsets paying customers. What they are doing with the t-shirts is just stupid and that is why people care. Asking fans to do a white out, sending you to Dicks to spend more money and giving the money to charity is just them saving cash not having to buy them. Its not noble of them to give the money to charity, its a cash save on their part and a small one at that given they are making $2 - $3 million per game probably on tickets alone let alone everything else. They are the only team in the league that pulls that stunt - that is why everyone in Philly was in orange.

I guess the Pens are still in the "they cant do anything wrong even though its painfully obvious phase" to some fans.

They raised prices 30% and took away an item they used to give you for free and are now asking you to buy it. How is that not obviously a slap in the face regardless

Ha, I don't want to troll you and get banned...but like I said...LOLZ are abounding in PR land. People are upset over the loss and are angry and flipping out. You have always seem quite passionate and angry at the Pens and have voiced that many times...we get it. But right now your main point is based around a white t-shirt and even though you say you don't really care, you seem steamed about it because it is a "little thing." I get that too. But very people right now are making rational sense based in their anger. Hockey is fun...the emotions it stirs is fun...a tshirt is making you angry right now...I realize it represents something greater to you, but I think in a months time or so you will see how silly you are sounding. You may still be angry at the Pens and I know people have said if you are so angry drop your tickets, but man...think about your health now too! I have been angry and purposely avoid NBC and other media outlets Pens/Philly coverage.

....the sun will come out...tomorrow (and snow! :scared: )
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:02 am

newarenanow wrote: I think the fact that previous to this year, people were making a killing on the secondary market had the Pens realize they were leaving a lot of money on the table.

Hence the tickets were underpriced.

I think they are right at the bubble right now IMO.

:thumb:
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:04 am

Like I pointed out earlier, it could be worse.

We could be Oilers fans shelling out an average of $80 to watch our team win the lottery every year.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby drnort on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:14 am

newarenanow wrote:
drnort wrote: The "dont like it, dont buy it" responses are always absurd.

I don't understand how that is absurd. That is how the market works.

I think they are absurd, because I dont see anything wrong with customers being displeased and having a discussion. Sure, I can decide to non-renew my tickets next year. But I also should be able to voice my displeasure with the fact that its even a consideration.

I understand the supply and demand piece of the equation. But I also understand the brand loyalty piece of the equation. Just because you have a line of people that you THINK are willing to replace your current customers, does not mean you crap on those that are throwing thousands of dollars at you every year. Its not good business. Its crazy to me that a large number season ticket holders decided to pass on buying playoff tickets this year. Just because those tickets were able to be resold to someone else, does not mean that it isnt a problem. They are being resold to those that are willing to spend high prices on one or two games, while those willing to dish out thousands of dollars for pre-season and regular season games are choosing to draw a line and stay home.

Its one heck of a roll of the dice to assume that there are enough fans out there willing to jump in and replace those fans for the long-term. Like I said, when its their turn to pony up the cash for 43+ games on a regular basis, we will see how it works out. I would worry, from a business perspective, that there are a lot of people out there that claim they will spend but will walk away when the time comes.
drnort
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:14 am

JeffDFD wrote:

Ha, I don't want to troll you and get banned...but like I said...LOLZ are abounding in PR land. People are upset over the loss and are angry and flipping out. You have always seem quite passionate and angry at the Pens and have voiced that many times...we get it. But right now your main point is based around a white t-shirt and even though you say you don't really care, you seem steamed about it because it is a "little thing." I get that too. But very people right now are making rational sense based in their anger. Hockey is fun...the emotions it stirs is fun...a tshirt is making you angry right now...I realize it represents something greater to you, but I think in a months time or so you will see how silly you are sounding. You may still be angry at the Pens and I know people have said if you are so angry drop your tickets, but man...think about your health now too! I have been angry and purposely avoid NBC and other media outlets Pens/Philly coverage.

....the sun will come out...tomorrow (and snow! :scared: )

I dont mind if you troll me on this topic. I love talking about it actually. Im not trying to be a complete jerk because we lost and like hearing others opinions on it, but more because of the last few years the white out debacle is just a snap shot of lots of things.

I guess I am really steamed from what I have been through the last 9 years as a season ticket holder. I honestly dont care about the white out shirt but its insulting to me.
I really feel that its pretty classless to do what they did with the white out shirts thats why I am steamed - I mean to save a few thousand dollars. Other teams want atmosphere, want the crowd, like the same color, energy. Do you think the Flyers or Rangers would ever pull that stunt?

I guess what makes me upset is ever since about 2007 I just feel things have been 50% joke with them and nobody cares. I used to take my neighbors kids to a fan fest at the arena. They used to meet players, wear head to toe Pens gear. I think the one was about 7 years old at the time. He wore his Pens stuff for a week afterwards and was just in awe.

Yet now people are going crazy because they spend a few minutes delivering tickets to 10 fans? Is that a cool idea? Of course its really cool but what about everything else?

I dont care about increases in prices and defended them on the new arena pricing. But this year was just a slap to the face. 30%? I cant stress enough how much money that is.
If they were bringing in $2 million per game that is $600,000 more PER GAME this playoff year. No way that is reasonable.

It just seems to me that the Pens are so concerned with being seen as the greatest they should actually try to be the greatest.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:54 am

Ha, I remember the Pensfest days or whatever. My bro went one time and I forget which pen it was, but you could get a pic taken with him and everyone was waiting in line for McKenna or someone and no one wanted to take a pic with whichever terrible shouldnt be in the NHL Pen was currently sitting there. Staff was trying to get people to take pics with him...ouch.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pensfan16 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:53 am

In one word the penguins got "greedy"!!!
pensfan16
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby beLIEve on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:19 pm

By the way, the pens have rarely (possibly never) spent a dime on whiteout shirts. When they used to be given away at the door, they were paid for by 84 Lumber and the other advertisers that were on the back of the shirts.
beLIEve
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Kraftster on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:22 pm

Its very difficult to win the Stanley Cup. We (Pens fans) are incredibly lucky that the organization has competent management and exciting young players, stars, and greats. I don't pay for season tickets because I want to see the Pens win the Stanley Cup; I pay for tickets because I love to watch hockey. I certainly hope the Pens do well, but I will continue to pay until I can't afford tickets just so that I can watch live NHL hockey on a regular basis. Success does not dictate the price. Demand does. Until the lack of success affects demand, I would not expect to stop seeing ticket price increases.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins