How do Pens think fans swallow another 10% tix increase now?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: How do Pens think fans swallow another 10% tix increase

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:25 pm

The only thing I got miffed about was that Philly "out classed" the Penguins organization by doing the little things in the playoffs. I got so butthurt last year when they started selling shirts at Dick's rather than GIVING a shirt away after spending 100+ on a ticket to see the Pens.

Philly did it right, catered to their fans with new shirts every game, and the Fans responded and probably appreciated it.

The only thing I see anymore from the Pens? They went corporate which totally forgot about the people that pay for the tickets to go to the games. Which for them makes sense because corporate seats buy in bulk. It's just a shame really.

Especially when the Pens practically beg for a white out. Maybe the whiteout sucks because 3 teams are doing it now. Maybe it's time to change the color to a golden yellow because honestly, it looks stupid on TV now as compared to the Mellon.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:38 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:The only thing I got miffed about was that Philly "out classed" the Penguins organization by doing the little things in the playoffs. I got so butthurt last year when they started selling shirts at Dick's rather than GIVING a shirt away after spending 100+ on a ticket to see the Pens.

Philly did it right, catered to their fans with new shirts every game, and the Fans responded and probably appreciated it.

The only thing I see anymore from the Pens? They went corporate which totally forgot about the people that pay for the tickets to go to the games. Which for them makes sense because corporate seats buy in bulk. It's just a shame really.

Especially when the Pens practically beg for a white out. Maybe the whiteout sucks because 3 teams are doing it now. Maybe it's time to change the color to a golden yellow because honestly, it looks stupid on TV now as compared to the Mellon.

yeah, I have no problem with them catering to corporate because it pays more of the bills. But it the little things they have done in the past 4 or 5 yeas that tick me off
and everyone keeps making excuses for them.

I am more offended than mad. I understand that its sports but I am also a customer of a business that keeps having his prices increased and his value taken away. Thats
horrible business regardless of the situation. Wait list or not their current customers drew the line already at their playoff increases. I fail to see how the wait list will
pay those prices instead.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newerapens on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:46 pm

At the rate of the price increases only the corporates will be in the building and rich die hard fans. Hey if that is the way they want to go good luck but don't come calling me when the core is gone and your struggling to sell tickets.
newerapens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:05 pm

newerapens wrote:At the rate of the price increases only the corporates will be in the building and rich die hard fans. Hey if that is the way they want to go good luck but don't come calling me when the core is gone and your struggling to sell tickets.

Also in regards to people thinking that the Pens should raise prices based on ticket exchange remember this:

Its a very small sample size of the actual number of tickets sold and the overly high prices only really work if the demand is too high. Its not indicative of what you can charge or expect to get per ticket on an entire arena.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:30 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
newerapens wrote:At the rate of the price increases only the corporates will be in the building and rich die hard fans. Hey if that is the way they want to go good luck but don't come calling me when the core is gone and your struggling to sell tickets.

Also in regards to people thinking that the Pens should raise prices based on ticket exchange remember this:

Its a very small sample size of the actual number of tickets sold and the overly high prices only really work if the demand is too high. Its not indicative of what you can charge or expect to get per ticket on an entire arena.

I agree with you second paragraph. But I think the return being sold online was extremely high for a few years.

People still make money on the secondary market, just not what they used to.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dietz on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:23 pm

dietz wrote:i think it's time to get rid of whiteout.....go to gold and change them every game like the flyers.......i think part of the selling of the shirts is we have a owner that leans toward charities(no a bad thing) so the attitude is different

I respect your opinion but I highly doubt in the board room they decided to stop doing free whiteouts so some of the money would go to charities. That makes zero sense. They saved money and are using charity to hide the fact they did it.

the sponsers pay for the whiteout shirts....not the pens
dietz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby knives of ice on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:25 pm

i really don't care about the tshirts at all, i've never worn the free shirt anyways but they always got sponsors for the shirts in the past that helped pay for them. really, how much of the $20 do you think is going to charity for the white out shirts that cost less than $2 each each to print? i'd bet maybe 10% actually goes to charity and i hope i'm wrong on that.

if ANYONE doesn't want their tickets for next year please PM me as i have people looking for full and half seasons if you wan to take a year off.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:37 pm

dietz wrote:
dietz wrote:i think it's time to get rid of whiteout.....go to gold and change them every game like the flyers.......i think part of the selling of the shirts is we have a owner that leans toward charities(no a bad thing) so the attitude is different

I respect your opinion but I highly doubt in the board room they decided to stop doing free whiteouts so some of the money would go to charities. That makes zero sense. They saved money and are using charity to hide the fact they did it.

If that is true then the decision to not give out white out shirts is even more idiotic. Lets not give out shirts we get for free already. So the fans have to buy them even though we are promoting it as something we dearly want. This way if we go far in the playoffs we can give probably $5,000 to charity.

Either they are retarded or there is some other reason.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dietz on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:43 pm

dietz wrote:

If that is true then the decision to not give out white out shirts is even more idiotic. Lets not give out shirts we get for free already. So the fans have to buy them even though we are promoting it as something we dearly want. This way if we go far in the playoffs we can give probably $5,000 to charity.

Either they are retarded or there is some other reason.

you said it......i think the charity gets way more than $5000 and pens don't hand out shirts(less employees) and they get tax writeoffs
dietz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pensfan1989 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:31 pm

Still not sure where the "2000 student rush tickets for each game" myth is coming from
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:41 pm

pensfan1989 wrote:Still not sure where the "2000 student rush tickets for each game" myth is coming from

It might not be 2,000 but the 200 tickets per game available for students is a myth too on lots of nights.
Thats all people are saying. If you know anyone who does it the Pens text them and they never have problems ordering tickets.

Its more than 200 and early in the season it had to be over 1,000 on lots of nights easily.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:06 pm

anyone have the full and half season ticket holder prices for 2012-2013?
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:41 pm

C4 Row E wrote:Season ticket holders should be offered the $30 tickets before students. They are the ones who spend the money and are deserving of extra tickets at a discounted cost.

Giving away playoff tickets in the lower level for $30 + taxes to students???? What a freakin' joke. I would have gladly bought those up for friends and family. I am a season ticket holder and paid $120 per seat. The kids in front of me paid $30 + taxes.....Really?

"Quick Mario! we gotta help out those season ticket holding fans!"

"what about the young fans who are excited about the Pens and bring energy to the Pittsburgh hockey scene?"

"Well theyre poor, F them."
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sheriff66 on Tue May 01, 2012 8:42 am

SPEND TO THE CAP, GET THIS GUY, GET THAT GUY, COMPETE YEAR AFTER YEAR BUT DON'T RAISE MY TICKET PRICES
Sheriff66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue May 01, 2012 9:12 am

Sheriff66 wrote:SPEND TO THE CAP, GET THIS GUY, GET THAT GUY, COMPETE YEAR AFTER YEAR BUT DON'T RAISE MY TICKET PRICES

I think you are missing the point. Nobody cares about price increases in general. But an almost 50% increase in 3 seasons, 30% in ONE playoff season.....after claiming to make a profit the last year in Mellon. So they add 2000 seats and now get most of the money from parking, food, alcohol, concerts and everything else that they didn't get before a new arena.

And they were already spending to the cap in mellon. They are either raping customers or running a horrible business as evident by too many students, the white out shirts and about 100 other examples that people turn their heads to because they are the penguins.

My contention all along was that this would hurt them and it has. So many season holders did not take the playoffs they had to open up sales of packages. I can't understand why people don't realize how big of a deal that actually is.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sheriff66 on Tue May 01, 2012 10:28 am

Sheriff66 wrote:SPEND TO THE CAP, GET THIS GUY, GET THAT GUY, COMPETE YEAR AFTER YEAR BUT DON'T RAISE MY TICKET PRICES

I think you are missing the point. Nobody cares about price increases in general. But an almost 50% increase in 3 seasons, 30% in ONE playoff season.....after claiming to make a profit the last year in Mellon. So they add 2000 seats and now get most of the money from parking, food, alcohol, concerts and everything else that they didn't get before a new arena.

And they were already spending to the cap in mellon. They are either raping customers or running a horrible business as evident by too many students, the white out shirts and about 100 other examples that people turn their heads to because they are the penguins.

My contention all along was that this would hurt them and it has. So many season holders did not take the playoffs they had to open up sales of packages. I can't understand why people don't realize how big of a deal that actually is.

I totally get it, it's called the price of business and having a good team, if you don't like the pricing don't pay it. Pretty simple :thumb:
Sheriff66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue May 01, 2012 1:09 pm

Sheriff66 wrote:

I totally get it, it's called the price of business and having a good team, if you don't like the pricing don't pay it. Pretty simple :thumb:

Pretty sure you don't get the price of having a good team vs. pricing out you customers which just happened in the playoffs.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby moondart on Wed May 02, 2012 7:39 pm

Ok, I'm sick of a few things:

1. Its not that the Pens "can't" raise ticket prices. It's that they cried poor in Mellon, get EVERY SINGLE MONEY REVENUE in the new building. And still raise prices 40%? If this is to sign players, then the cap must be going to 85 million next year under that frame of logic for a 40% increase.

2. Yes, the T-shirts were a bad PR move, I agree...but the Pens paid nothing before for them either.

3. The Pens are taking advantage of the local media not covering this kind of stuff (much like the Steelers get). But, everything comes with an expiration date.
moondart
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed May 02, 2012 8:10 pm

moondart wrote:Ok, I'm sick of a few things:

1. Its not that the Pens "can't" raise ticket prices. It's that they cried poor in Mellon, get EVERY SINGLE MONEY REVENUE in the new building. And still raise prices 40%? If this is to sign players, then the cap must be going to 85 million next year under that frame of logic for a 40% increase.

2. Yes, the T-shirts were a bad PR move, I agree...but the Pens paid nothing before for them either.

3. The Pens are taking advantage of the local media not covering this kind of stuff (much like the Steelers get). But, everything comes with an expiration date.

I agree with everything and your last point is the One i am trying to make as its already started to slide and nobody wants to admit it. A few points in general: remember they also raised the playoffs in one year 30% which is so insane its undescribable. Also, I really feel people do not grasp how much money they get in the new building from all other revenues including all concerts. As far as the white out shirts, I do find it hard to believe if sponsors paid for every dime they wouldn't still be giving them out but I am guessing, just think its classless to save a few grand while increasing prices 30 percent.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby spiritfan on Wed May 02, 2012 9:15 pm

a good PR move would be to rescind the increase an apologize for the poor playoff effort... not the fact that they lost but the fact they played like whinny punks... one missed playoff season will send all the blue shirts off a bridge and eliminate any waiting list
spiritfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby moondart on Wed May 02, 2012 9:17 pm

moondart wrote:Ok, I'm sick of a few things:

I agree with everything and your last point is the One i am trying to make as its already started to slide and nobody wants to admit it. A few points in general: remember they also raised the playoffs in one year 30% which is so insane its undescribable. Also, I really feel people do not grasp how much money they get in the new building from all other revenues including all concerts. As far as the white out shirts, I do find it hard to believe if sponsors paid for every dime they wouldn't still be giving them out but I am guessing, just think its classless to save a few grand while increasing prices 30 percent.

The cap goes up 2-3 mill per year (i.e. 58 mill goes to 60.4 mill - 4%). At a 40% correction, the Pens must be thinking that the new CBA isn't including a salary cap then? Lol
moondart
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed May 02, 2012 9:31 pm

What about all the money the owners lost when the team sucked? Maybe they're just trying to make up for lost time when they were pumping money into the team when they could have been pumping money into other investments..ya know.. ones that would have made them money? I'm not all up to date on what went on behind the scenes during that time frame and if/how much capital they actually lost, but potentially thats something to consider. And I don't blame them. Get it while its hot! I would say its a vocal minority that feel the way some on this board feel about ticket prices.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby moondart on Wed May 02, 2012 9:46 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:What about all the money the owners lost when the team sucked? Maybe they're just trying to make up for lost time when they were pumping money into the team when they could have been pumping money into other investments..ya know.. ones that would have made them money? I'm not all up to date on what went on behind the scenes during that time frame and if/how much capital they actually lost, but potentially thats something to consider. And I don't blame them. Get it while its hot! I would say its a vocal minority that feel the way some on this board feel about ticket prices.

Yea, making up for lost business 10 yrs ago is GREAT business to do now. So, Mcdonalds should raise the price on BIg Macs because 10 yrs ago they lost money with the "MCribs" experiment.

And your right...I'm sure its only a minority of STH who don't mind 40% increases...

I'm assuming that you were kidding...or you drink the Koolaide.
moondart
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Three Stars on Wed May 02, 2012 9:50 pm

moondart wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:What about all the money the owners lost when the team sucked? Maybe they're just trying to make up for lost time when they were pumping money into the team when they could have been pumping money into other investments..ya know.. ones that would have made them money? I'm not all up to date on what went on behind the scenes during that time frame and if/how much capital they actually lost, but potentially thats something to consider. And I don't blame them. Get it while its hot! I would say its a vocal minority that feel the way some on this board feel about ticket prices.

Yea, making up for lost business 10 yrs ago is GREAT business to do now. So, Mcdonalds should raise the price on BIg Macs because 10 yrs ago they lost money with the "MCribs" experiment.

And your right...I'm sure its only a minority of STH who don't mind 40% increases...

I'm assuming that you were kidding...or you drink the Koolaide.

Is someone forcing you to buy tickets?

If there's something that I'm paying for that I don't think is worth it, I stop paying for it so I don't have to worry about it. There's no prize for being a martyr.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed May 02, 2012 11:54 pm

Doesn't make sense because it's an investment. Lots of teams lose money yearlybut them sell the team for a profit. Like buying a house. The pens were purchased for less than 100 million and it now goes for what $200 plus? Easy, probably more.

My complaints are not against free will of purchasing tickets, it's waiting for the fan base to slowly fade away so we don't have as competitive teams anymore as well as those who constantly defend every bs action this team throws out there because they are the penguins and not the pirates.

My god between their prices that have chased fans away already, terrible marketing slogans, whiteout debacle, slippery rock university commercials and tricking morons into thinking student rush isnt used to keep a sellout streak going......if they didn't have Sid this board would 80% front office complaints.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins