You're the GM: Part 3

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby pittsports87 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:56 pm

Looking right now, we have about 4.7M in cap space with the current cap for next year with 10 forwards, 6 defensmen, and 1 goalie signed.

First thing I do is trade Martin, Jeffrey, and Lovejoy for draft picks and prospects giving us 10.8M in cap space

Next I re-sign Niskanen and Sullivan as well give them both $2.0 million leaving us with $6.8M.

Bring in Dan Ellis to back-up Fleury for $1M. 5.8M left

Next to help on defense, I bring in Brad Stuart to add a more physical presence back there for $3M and this leaves us with $2.8M.

Now for the forwards. Travis Moen for $1.5 and Adam Burish for $1.25 leaving us with $0.083 in cap space. To save some room, send down Vitale leaving us with $0.633 in cap space for call ups.

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Dupuis-Crosby-Sullivan
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
Moen-Adams-Burish
Orpik-Letang
Stuart-Michalek
Niskanen-Engelland
Fleury
Ellis
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:30 pm

I like Brad Stuart too. I keep hearing that he is going to go home and play on the west coast though.......

I think we are all in agreement as to what the pens needs are. In no specific order:

1. A legitimate veteran backup goalie who could play 20 games a year.
2. Some legitimate size/grinding forwards (preferably 2).
3. Tinker the blue-line. Either move Martin, or bring in some one with some size and mobility.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:30 pm

A legitimate veteran goalie doesn't help us in the playoffs.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:31 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:A legitimate veteran goalie doesn't help us in the playoffs.

If it means it saves MAF from having to do 10 more stars it does.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:28 pm

Rylan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:A legitimate veteran goalie doesn't help us in the playoffs.

That's complete crap man. Fleury started 64 games this season, 62 last season, and 66 the season before. How much more rest does he need? Are you going to start him in only 54 games?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Streaks House on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:19 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Rylan wrote:

That's complete crap man. Fleury started 64 games this season, 62 last season, and 66 the season before. How much more rest does he need? Are you going to start him in only 54 games?

But how many times did he have to mop up for Brent Johnson on his scheduled days off?
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:47 pm

I'm not so sure. Back in the mid 1990's, Ken Wregget was a huge part of the team's playoff success. Also, in 1991 they probably don't win the Cup without Frank Pietrangelo and his amazing save.

I think all KG meant was someone dependable. Even a young goaltender as a backup is fine, as long as he can stop the puck, I don't care if he's 19 or 44 just so he can step in and do the job.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:50 pm

KG wrote:I like Brad Stuart too. I keep hearing that he is going to go home and play on the west coast though.......

I think we are all in agreement as to what the pens needs are. In no specific order:

3. Tinker the blue-line. Either move Martin, or bring in some one with some size and mobility.

There are some folks in the organization (perhaps even Bylsma) that think Morrow and Despres could possibly be ready for this season. In reality, they probably need more work in the minors, but there are rookie defensemen all over the place the past few seasons making a big impact even in the playoffs. The key is finding them a stable partnerand putting them in situations they can succeed.

A 19 year old forward shut down the league MVP in this year's playoffs, so who knows....maybe some young guys are ready to step in.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:55 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:
KG wrote:I like Brad Stuart too. I keep hearing that he is going to go home and play on the west coast though.......

There are some folks in the organization (perhaps even Bylsma) that think Morrow and Despres could possibly be ready for this season. In reality, they probably need more work in the minors, but there are rookie defensemen all over the place the past few seasons making a big impact even in the playoffs. The key is finding them a stable partnerand putting them in situations they can succeed.

A 19 year old forward shut down the league MVP in this year's playoffs, so who knows....maybe some young guys are ready to step in.

That 19 year old was picked #8 overall, it's not like he came from no where.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:26 pm

Streaks House wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Rylan wrote:

But how many times did he have to mop up for Brent Johnson on his scheduled days off?

thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:28 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:

I'm not so sure. Back in the mid 1990's, Ken Wregget was a huge part of the team's playoff success. Also, in 1991 they probably don't win the Cup without Frank Pietrangelo and his amazing save.

I think all KG meant was someone dependable. Even a young goaltender as a backup is fine, as long as he can stop the puck, I don't care if he's 19 or 44 just so he can step in and do the job.

After watching the Flyers series a back-up goalie is the least of this teams worries going into the off-season.

Rinne, Quick, and Smith all played more or the same number of games as Fleury in the regular season.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:45 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:

After watching the Flyers series a back-up goalie is the least of this teams worries going into the off-season.

Rinne, Quick, and Smith all played more or the same number of games as Fleury in the regular season.

Obviously every person is the same and should be able to do the same as everyone else. Not absolving Fleury but that's not a good argument either way. He's a professional athlete that knows the rigors of his sport. He should be able to handle it. However the flip side is everyone is different and need different things.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DesertPenguin on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:42 am

Despres will be in the lineup game 1 next season. Given his play in Byslma's system, I think Niskanen comes back as a #5 that gets PP time. He's been quoted as saying that the system in Dallas derailed his game, and coming to Pittsburgh and this system has gotten him back on track. I'm hoping that makes him financially motivated to sign a reasonable contract to stay.

Letang, Engelland and Orpik will all return. Brooks is getting older but he is still gritty and his leadership is crucial. We need to be reducing his minutes though.

Do the math, and you'll see that one of Michalek or Martin has to go. Michalek is still a solid PK contributer and is 1M cheaper than Martin, so I would like him to stay over Martin. Yes, the PK was embarassing these playoffs, but it doesn't erase two years of solid PK work for Z.

If you want to get really aggressive, move them both and go after a free agent. However, I don't think Suter is the answer. He is an extremely talented defenseman, and will put up points, but he doesn't bring the size and physicality we are looking to add.

In addition, maybe you get Hal Gill on a 1-2 year contract to platoon on the bottom pairing with Engelland and give guys like Orpik a night off from time to time. Gill is slowing down but he can still be your big bodied crease clearer on the PK.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:13 am

Tough but quite realistic :
A.Kostitsyn - Malkin - Neal
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Moen - Vitale - Tangradi
x - Adams

Orpik - Letang
B.Stuart - Despres
Niskanen - Engelland
x - Strait/Bortuzzo

MAF
Harding/Hedberg
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Senka on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:45 am

-Keep coaching Staff
-Extend Crosby & Staal
-Or trade Staal. His stock is high. (maybe Nash?)
-Dump Paul Martin somehow
-Use all the money you save to sign Niska for more than 1.5mill
-Bring up Despres as a number 6.
-Offer Sully a 1-year deal
-Offer Tangradi a cheap contract and hope he is worth it.
-Fill out AHL roster
-Sign a backup netminder
-Draft another future winger

If this all fails, sign Staal and Trade Malkin to the west for everything and the kitchen sink.

I trust RS. I think Bylsma is fine. This city jumps on him for what? One year of failing expectations? MAF had a terrible series. Last year he was superstars short. Jack Adams award winner? When I hear "Fire DB" I want to punch you. Not entirely false.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:07 am

If this team knew how to play competant defense with the talent they have Thiessen is good enough to be a winning goalie playing 30 games. The backup goalie should not matter when you are spending the money on your top 4 defense and top 3 centers like the Pens have done.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:16 am

DelPen wrote:If this team knew how to play competant defense with the talent they have Thiessen is good enough to be a winning goalie playing 30 games. The backup goalie should not matter when you are spending the money on your top 4 defense and top 3 centers like the Pens have done.

Again their record the last two years and especially their play when Sid and Geno were out say that this team can and has played shutdown tough D. However the coaching hasn't been able to keep them motivated in order to do so. Whether that's because HCDB quit preaching the responsible D mantra or the players simply didn't execute is unknown. The problem is not the top 4 personal on D. Those guys are good and proved last year without the superstars that they can play great D and that the coach can make adjustments. It's almost like when Geno and Sid are in the line up everything becomes relaxed from the top down and the attitude of, "Everything will be fine cause one of those two will do something." takes over. HCDB needs to find a way to keep the team disciplined, that's really the bottom line. We can talk all we want about, "Boo hoo Martin or Michalek." but what it comes down to is the D has the pieces and the coaching failed in a big way.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Luckybreak on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:02 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
DelPen wrote:If this team knew how to play competant defense with the talent they have Thiessen is good enough to be a winning goalie playing 30 games. The backup goalie should not matter when you are spending the money on your top 4 defense and top 3 centers like the Pens have done.

Again their record the last two years and especially their play when Sid and Geno were out say that this team can and has played shutdown tough D. However the coaching hasn't been able to keep them motivated in order to do so. Whether that's because HCDB quit preaching the responsible D mantra or the players simply didn't execute is unknown. The problem is not the top 4 personal on D. Those guys are good and proved last year without the superstars that they can play great D and that the coach can make adjustments. It's almost like when Geno and Sid are in the line up everything becomes relaxed from the top down and the attitude of, "Everything will be fine cause one of those two will do something." takes over. HCDB needs to find a way to keep the team disciplined, that's really the bottom line. We can talk all we want about, "Boo hoo Martin or Michalek." but what it comes down to is the D has the pieces and the coaching failed in a big way.

Irrespective of their substandard play, the current D can play shut down defense, and HCDB successfully implemented such a system as exhibited playing without Sid and Geno. The same successful unit was unable to protect the crease vs the Lightning.

Size was missing then and still missing vs the Flyers. The implementation of a new system must be combined with an alteration to the players compromising this group or we will continue to struggle with physical matchups.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:11 am

There was an article someone re-tweeted this morning about Edmonton trading their 1st round pick to the Pens for Staal. In a way it made all kinds of sense. Trying to find it now.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/0 ... dan-staal/

Ah it was on PensBlog. Yea, I'd do it for Yakupov :pop:
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby topshelf66 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:25 am

I would like a net front presence on offense. I would like a crease clearing defenseman. We are weak on both ends in front of the net.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:29 am

Malkamaniac wrote:There was an article someone re-tweeted this morning about Edmonton trading their 1st round pick to the Pens for Staal. In a way it made all kinds of sense. Trying to find it now.

Nail is a huge risk of a first overal based on both injuries to date and the always tempting KHL. Whether or not we draft him, I'd want to see us also send a D their way (doubtful anyone would NOT name Winnipeg as one a team they wouldn't accept a trade to :evil: ) and whatever else it takes to get their #1 overall and Shultz.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:11 am

sil wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:There was an article someone re-tweeted this morning about Edmonton trading their 1st round pick to the Pens for Staal. In a way it made all kinds of sense. Trying to find it now.

Nail is a huge risk of a first overal based on both injuries to date and the always tempting KHL. Whether or not we draft him, I'd want to see us also send a D their way (doubtful anyone would NOT name Winnipeg as one a team they wouldn't accept a trade to :evil: ) and whatever else it takes to get their #1 overall and Shultz.

I'm sure Edmonton is salavating at the thought of a Whitney - Martin pairing.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby offsides on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:07 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
sil wrote:

I'm sure Edmonton is salavating at the thought of a Whitney - Martin pairing.

Hopefully!!!
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:40 pm

And the draft is in Pittsburgh :pop:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:20 pm

Pens likely to stay with 3-center model
http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/118 ... 6-08-staal

I would take this more seriously from Molinari....The usual Rossi caveats apply.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins