You're the GM: Part 3

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:29 am

THG wrote:I don't buy that rookie crap, why does everyone insist that it matters? If the kid can play hockey you put him in the lineup. There is no reason he shouldn't get the same chance Staal had. Give him that trial period then if he needs some seasoning send him back to Juniors.


Well Staal got the shot because there was garbage in front of him. I can't see them trading the entire defense away to get their rookies up. Despres is ready, and Morrow I'm sure will be the year after next.

Martin can be traded because we can get a quality D-guy for a lot cheaper and could probably put out roughly the same performance.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,991
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:40 am

Malkamaniac wrote:Martin can be traded because we can get a quality D-guy for a lot cheaper and could probably put out roughly the same performance.


If this is true then why wouldn't every other team get that player for just money rather than trading away assets to get Paul Martin?

If Martin is moved it will be for another bad contract, most likely a wing like Horcroff, Ribiero or Rolston if Edmonton, Dallas or Boston wants to spend that money on a defenseman and if those contracts are even albatrosses, I don't know.

Here's Martin's buyout cap hit though if they go that route:

Paul Martin buyout from CapGeek.com
◦2012-13: $2,555,556
◦2013-14: $1,555,556
◦2014-15: $1,555,556
◦2015-16: $1,555,556
◦2016-17: $1,555,556
◦2017-18: $1,555,556


Now IF they think Niskanen can step in and his better (and right now he is) then you get rid of Martin and sign Niskaken to less than the difference and they end up in much better shape. We are also going to lose Strait, Lovejoy and/or Bortuzzo if Martin or Niskanen aren't moved.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,340
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:43 am

Martin's contract isn't bad. It's overpriced, but for the player in the right system, he'd shine. Maybe that changes if the Pens decide to play with more structure here in the upcoming season.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,991
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby sil on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:05 am

It is possible to move Martin and his $5M. There needs to be a team that isn't a highly desireable UFA destination (i.e. a place that players often don't want to sign), a team who has work to do just to reach the cap floor (a la Florida last offseason), and a team that desperately needs d-men who can log huge minutes. There are a few teams out there that fit this description, but Colorado is front and center in my mind.

The new wrinkle in this mess is Martin's sudden 'concussion.' :face: Not sure anyone is taking on that salary, and that injury risk.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,853
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:11 am

sil wrote:It is possible to move Martin and his $5M. There needs to be a team that isn't a highly desireable UFA destination (i.e. a place that players often don't want to sign), a team who has work to do just to reach the cap floor (a la Florida last offseason), and a team that desperately needs d-men who can log huge minutes. There are a few teams out there that fit this description, but Colorado is front and center in my mind.

The new wrinkle in this mess is Martin's sudden 'concussion.' :face: Not sure anyone is taking on that salary, and that injury risk.

He stays "concussed" and gets moved to LTIR burying his contract.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,293
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=289635 get bitcoins

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby Streaks House on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:36 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
sil wrote:It is possible to move Martin and his $5M. There needs to be a team that isn't a highly desireable UFA destination (i.e. a place that players often don't want to sign), a team who has work to do just to reach the cap floor (a la Florida last offseason), and a team that desperately needs d-men who can log huge minutes. There are a few teams out there that fit this description, but Colorado is front and center in my mind.

The new wrinkle in this mess is Martin's sudden 'concussion.' :face: Not sure anyone is taking on that salary, and that injury risk.

He stays "concussed" and gets moved to LTIR burying his contract.


I know it's been hashed out numerous times that Martin has a no movement clause in his contract an he has to consent to where he's willing/not willing to go. Suppose the organization and Martin sit down and both agree that it just isn't working out in Pittsburgh. Shero tells Martin that he will try to find a more favorable situation for him as long as Martin gives his consent. As a player, doesn't this become an awkward situation for Martin? He's in a place where he isn't really wanted/ineffective. Wouldn't he want to go elsewhere where he can enjoy playing? Does he want to be here for 3 more years of this?

I think as long as GMRS can find a trading partner willing to take Martin's contract, he'll be able to move him. But that's the challenge. Getting Martin to agree to waive the clause shouldn't be too difficult given what has transpired.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,488
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:16 pm
Location: Ted Carrick's Table

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:37 am

If im GMRS, I check around and see if anyone is interested. Why tell the guy it isn't working and we are looking to trade you? What if there are no takers?

It avoids the: Hey Paul, its not working here and we can't find anyone who wants you, guess your stuck here conversation.

You dont want to be stuck with a guy who knows you don't want him. GMRS had a good poker face on when he said Martin is a good defenseman. You need to continue to have a good working relationship with the guy, especially if you can't move him.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,214
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:12 pm

My #1 priority going into the offseason is to find a defenseman who can QB the PP. This will help the PP and cut down on SH goals. Two glaring weaknesses.

The PP was a huge positive in our Cup runs and needs to be again.

Find a way to get rid of Martin and attempt to sign Wideman because Suter isn't going to happen.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,214
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby npv708 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:30 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:My #1 priority going into the offseason is to find a defenseman who can QB the PP. This will help the PP and cut down on SH goals. Two glaring weaknesses.

The PP was a huge positive in our Cup runs and needs to be again.

Find a way to get rid of Martin and attempt to sign Wideman because Suter isn't going to happen.


Lol. Apparently, you haven't been watching the Caps/Bruins series much. Wideman has been beyond terrible, especially with the puck in his own end. He's basically done the Lovejoy move about 5 or 6 times so far in the series.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,671
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby pfim on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:38 pm

Wideman will make things worse.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:38 pm

npv708 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:My #1 priority going into the offseason is to find a defenseman who can QB the PP. This will help the PP and cut down on SH goals. Two glaring weaknesses.

The PP was a huge positive in our Cup runs and needs to be again.

Find a way to get rid of Martin and attempt to sign Wideman because Suter isn't going to happen.


Lol. Apparently, you haven't been watching the Caps/Bruins series much. Wideman has been beyond terrible, especially with the puck in his own end. He's basically done the Lovejoy move about 5 or 6 times so far in the series.


It happens. To be honest I've only been watching the games out West. Point is we need a QB on the PP with Letang being a complementary guy.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,214
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby sil on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:54 pm

I honestly don't think our greatest need is a PP QB. A true shutdown pair of defenders and a good backup goalie is what's needed. Not sure exactly how that gets done, but it's what's needed. If we're going to keep 'the big 3', than we need to find a way to trade Martin. If that doesn't happen, then we'll be spinning our wheels on this same discusssion in 365 days, except we'll be preparing ourselves to watch Staal walk away to some other team while we look forward to two more season with a top-heavy forward core and a d-core led my Martin.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,853
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:08 pm

Someone mentioned Prust, I love that idea.
See if we can ship out Martin, resign Nisky.
Sign Al Montoya for back-up duties if we can afford to.
I'd entertain the idea of bringing Sully back as well.
Ben Lovejoy....best of luck
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,612
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:12 am
Location: Pascal's playoff eyebrows

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby shmenguin on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:11 pm

prust is a dime a dozen player. the rags will resign him on the cheap
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,416
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:19 pm

We need to upgrade our "dime a dozen" players. Adams will age quickly, IMO. Asham....peace. Park, meh. Prust would be an asset.
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,612
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:12 am
Location: Pascal's playoff eyebrows

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby shmenguin on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:20 pm

Pipes Hochuli wrote:We need to upgrade our "dime a dozen" players. Adams will age quickly, IMO. Asham....peace. Park, meh. Prust would be an asset.


he's not worth more than he's making now. someone else will give him a raise because he gets into unlimited unimpressive fights
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,416
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:25 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Pipes Hochuli wrote:We need to upgrade our "dime a dozen" players. Adams will age quickly, IMO. Asham....peace. Park, meh. Prust would be an asset.


he's not worth more than he's making now. someone else will give him a raise because he gets into unlimited unimpressive fights


He's also got a handful of shorthanded goals the past few years, I just happen to think he and Vitale could work well together, 'tis all.
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,612
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:12 am
Location: Pascal's playoff eyebrows

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:40 pm

sil wrote:I honestly don't think our greatest need is a PP QB. A true shutdown pair of defenders and a good backup goalie is what's needed. Not sure exactly how that gets done, but it's what's needed. If we're going to keep 'the big 3', than we need to find a way to trade Martin. If that doesn't happen, then we'll be spinning our wheels on this same discusssion in 365 days, except we'll be preparing ourselves to watch Staal walk away to some other team while we look forward to two more season with a top-heavy forward core and a d-core led my Martin.


Problem is without a solid defenseman on the PP it is still a liability from a SHG standpoint. Sullivan played the part of QB very well, but couldn't get back and stop rushes from the other team.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,214
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:44 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
sil wrote:I honestly don't think our greatest need is a PP QB. A true shutdown pair of defenders and a good backup goalie is what's needed. Not sure exactly how that gets done, but it's what's needed. If we're going to keep 'the big 3', than we need to find a way to trade Martin. If that doesn't happen, then we'll be spinning our wheels on this same discusssion in 365 days, except we'll be preparing ourselves to watch Staal walk away to some other team while we look forward to two more season with a top-heavy forward core and a d-core led my Martin.


Problem is without a solid defenseman on the PP it is still a liability from a SHG standpoint. Sullivan played the part of QB very well, but couldn't get back and stop rushes from the other team.


That's why I believe we need to add/replace 3 defensemen. I keep Letang, Orpik, and Engelland. Replace Niskanen with a PP specialist / offensive defenseman (unless he can do the job or possibly Despres or Morrow are up to the task), then get rid of M&M and instead add 2 big shutdown defensemen. It's not a complicated formula, IMO.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Prust? Try Tanner Glass instead.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,293
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=289635 get bitcoins

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:09 am

Tanner Glass...that don't impress me much. oh-oh-o-ohh
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,612
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:12 am
Location: Pascal's playoff eyebrows

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:19 am

I'm the GM?!?!?

Okay, that works!

Hello Darcy Regier from Buffalo, desperate for a top-6 center and a younger defensive defenseman...

PIT trades C Jordan Staal, D Zbynek Michalek, G Brad Thiessen, 2012 3rd round pick

BUF trades W Drew Stafford, D Robyn Regehr, G Jhonas Enroth, 2012 1st round pick (from Nashville)

Pros - Pens: We get a physical defenseman that can play 2nd or 3rd pairing, a top 6 winger, and a backup goalie that can start 20-25 games and push Fleury, also if Fleury gets hurt we can still win with Enroth in net, and we get another 1st rounder!
Buffalo: We get a #2 center to backup Roy, a top-4 defensive defenseman signed for 3 more years as a replacement for aging Regehr with 1 more year on his deal, and a serviceable backup - who cares Miller is going to start 70 anyway, and we already have our own 1st rounder, who needs Nashville's?

Stafford-Malkin-Neal
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Cooke-UFA-Kennedy
Tangradi-Vitale-Adams

Orpik-Letang
Regehr-Niskanen
Despres-Martin
Strait-Engelland

Fleury
Enroth

:thumb:
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,521
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: Born and Raised in Kent Manderville

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:21 am

Oh... and that UFA is Jarret Stoll
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,521
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: Born and Raised in Kent Manderville

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:33 am

DelPen wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Martin can be traded because we can get a quality D-guy for a lot cheaper and could probably put out roughly the same performance.


If this is true then why wouldn't every other team get that player for just money rather than trading away assets to get Paul Martin?

If Martin is moved it will be for another bad contract, most likely a wing like Horcroff, Ribiero or Rolston if Edmonton, Dallas or Boston wants to spend that money on a defenseman and if those contracts are even albatrosses, I don't know.



Wow i didn't know Horcoff and Ribeiro were wingers. Oh wait, I knew they were centers. So this makes zero sense.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,521
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: Born and Raised in Kent Manderville

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:51 am

my new idea :
re-sign Niskanen on 2 year/ 1.75M per deal..
Trade Martin and prospect for early 1st rounder F who might be NHL ready,sign Mark Stuart to 2year / 3.75M per year deal..
trade Lovejoy... sign Harding for 2 years / 1.2M per year (he could play up to 35games at least,MAF needs some fire under ass..)
Sign Moen 2 years /1.5M per year.. Sullivan,Asham,Park all gone.. Sully was good,but we need someone bigger,more psyhical..

Then : 2nd - 3rd line depends on who we draft
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Draft F/Staal - Crosby - Dupuis
Cooke - Draft F/Staal - Kennedy
Moen - Vitale - Tangradi
x - Adams

Orpik - Letang
Stuart - Niskanen
Michalek - Despres
x - Engelland/Strait/Bortuzzo (Shero/Blysma - they decide thru camp and preseason..)

MAF
Harding
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,479
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:02 pm
Location: Slovenia

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

e-mail