Deep Breath...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Deep Breath...

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:58 pm

He isn't just a third line center.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby topshelf on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:05 pm

Noise wrote:I agree with points 3 & 4, but on points 1 & 2: Homer much?

Isn't it possible that Bylsma's got a great record because the team is highly talented? Anyways, post-season success is what matters, & since he's implemented his system it's failed every year (Stanley Cup year was still MT's system, just with some DB tweaks)

Not a homer at all, what you're seeing is rational thought.

Last year's team was highly talented? No Sid, Geno, or Staal for half the season and we still finished with the second best wins total in the NHL.... the second best wins total in the NHL.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:07 pm

I guess Therrien's name shoud be on the Cup instead of DB's.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:07 pm

Staal is a solid 2nd line offensive center. He is a first liner on teams who's main playmaker is a winger. His defense, in my opinion, has slipped a bit recently.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:09 pm

wondermoose wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
wondermoose wrote:Just out of curiosity, who would be for losing Jordan Staal and Paul Martin while gaining Shea Weber or Ryan Suter?

No. I've mentioned it in the other thread with regards to Malkin: If I'm Shero, I do my damnedest to keep them together, but if push came to shove (salary cap issues, etc), I'd keep Staal and Crosby. Staal has a defensive game unparalleled by almost anyone on the team. Period. He's also still developing. Only way to go is up.

I totally disagree about Staal. His defensive game has taken a horrible downswing lately. He got absolutely smoked by Giroux this year, by St. Louis last year, and Camalleri the year before. Honestly, I just don't see Staal wanting to be just a third-line center his entire career.

I guess you missed most of the year? Staal had a great year, playoffs aside (everyone was bad).

Look at the names you mentioned. They're all great players. Staal is still developing. Also, don't think you can really use the Montreal series because he was playing with a bum foot, but that's just me.

He's on the rise, there's no denying it. His game can only go up.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:43 pm

topshelf wrote:Apparently I am among the minority that believes that this team does not need to burn the entire organization down and start over.

- I still believe that Bylsma is a helluva coach. Period. In 3.25 seasons with us, he's posted a 167-85 record, and his WORST full season with us was a 101 pt. season. People point to the fact that we haven't made it out of the first round in the past two years, but they are quick to forget that in the 2011 playoffs our top unit was Staal - Letestu - Kovalev (an extremely washed up Kovalev at that). Given the amount of injuries that we've endured over the past few years (and I'm talking beyond Sid and Geno), Bylsma has done an excellent job and has kept the team extremely competitive.

- Fleury is an elite goaltender, and easily a top 5 guy in the NHL. In my opinion, he was used WAY too much this year. That being said, Johnson needs to go. We need a guy that we can rely on to come in and steal a game here and there.

- You don't move Sid, Geno, or Staal. Period. Malkin carried this team all year, was the scoring champion, and will more than likely be league MVP. Why people think that trading him is a good idea is beyond me.

- The defense. It needs a shakeup. Trade Martin for someone that is defensively responsible. Despres is in the NHL next year, too.

- EDITED TO ADD: We need someone who can run a **** power play. Our lackluster PP has been the story for a while now, and it was a huge factor in the Flyers series. Far too predictable.

I agree with nearly all of this. MAF is not elite, and has never been more than above average. His only real elite run was the year we lost to det in the finals. Above average is good enough for this team however. Certainly better than the heaping **** pile he's been putting up in the last few playoffs.. Cosign otherwise
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:45 pm

slappybrown wrote:
topshelf wrote:Apparently I am among the minority that believes that this team does not need to burn the entire organization down and start over.

- I still believe that Bylsma is a helluva coach. Period. In 3.25 seasons with us, he's posted a 167-85 record, and his WORST full season with us was a 101 pt. season. People point to the fact that we haven't made it out of the first round in the past two years, but they are quick to forget that in the 2011 playoffs our top unit was Staal - Letestu - Kovalev (an extremely washed up Kovalev at that). Given the amount of injuries that we've endured over the past few years (and I'm talking beyond Sid and Geno), Bylsma has done an excellent job and has kept the team extremely competitive.

- Fleury is an elite goaltender, and easily a top 5 guy in the NHL. In my opinion, he was used WAY too much this year. That being said, Johnson needs to go. We need a guy that we can rely on to come in and steal a game here and there.

- You don't move Sid, Geno, or Staal. Period. Malkin carried this team all year, was the scoring champion, and will more than likely be league MVP. Why people think that trading him is a good idea is beyond me.

- The defense. It needs a shakeup. Trade Martin for someone that is defensively responsible. Despres is in the NHL next year, too.

- EDITED TO ADD: We need someone who can run a **** power play. Our lackluster PP has been the story for a while now, and it was a huge factor in the Flyers series. Far too predictable.

I agree with nearly all of this. MAF is not elite, and has never been more than above average. His only real elite run was the year we lost to det in the finals. Above average is good enough for this team however. Certainly better than the heaping **** pile he's been putting up in the last few playoffs.. Cosign otherwise

Would you guys agree that MAF has elite-level talent, but just hasn't put it all together?

IMO, he's a guy with world class talent that just seems to be missing something...
Last edited by tfrizz on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby slappybrown on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:46 pm

tfrizz wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

Would you guys agree that MAF has elite-level talent, but just hasn't put it all together?

that's fair
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SteelCityFan on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:58 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:I have a problem with the Fluery discussions.

I don't think many teams ask their goaltender to do as much as Fluery. I think that needs to change. You simply don't see a guy stop every 2 on 1, breakaway, and bulldozing of traffic. They need to insulate him a bit more, especially with the lead. What the team did in front of him this series is an absolute disgrace.

Agree totally.

I mentioned a few too many times this season that our forwards were leaving the defensive zone before our our d-man even had controll of the puck. It was pretty ridiculous. If Flower had half the defensive help that the almighty goaltenders Lundquist, Rinne, Quick have on their teams he would be all world.
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:35 pm

sj? wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

You are not alone. Tweaks on D and the 4th line needs to be completely redone. That is all.

:fist:

And I happen to lay the bulk of the blame on Fleury for the series, but that is not to say he needs to be "traded" like so many geniuses here want to do with everyone up an down the lineup. I just think he needs a new goalie coach for a new voice in his ear, and also a new backup that is capable of taking time (not his job) from him all year.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:37 pm

SteelCityFan wrote:
DropEmJayBird wrote:I have a problem with the Fluery discussions.

I don't think many teams ask their goaltender to do as much as Fluery. I think that needs to change. You simply don't see a guy stop every 2 on 1, breakaway, and bulldozing of traffic. They need to insulate him a bit more, especially with the lead. What the team did in front of him this series is an absolute disgrace.

Agree totally.

I mentioned a few too many times this season that our forwards were leaving the defensive zone before our our d-man even had controll of the puck. It was pretty ridiculous. If Flower had half the defensive help that the almighty goaltenders Lundquist, Rinne, Quick have on their teams he would be all world.

Disagree totally. Fleury did not make the saves he made all year, against a team that was evenly matched offensively and defensively and should have had the weak link in their goal.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby 66 Fighters of Foo on Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:10 pm

The near total meltdown I have seen on this site is unreal. I'm almost as shocked at this as I was with how the Pens got bounced. Seriously. If I didn't know better, I'd think I accidently clicked into a Caps/flyers forum.

Amazing.
66 Fighters of Foo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Tico Rick on Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:12 pm

66 Fighters of Foo wrote:The near total meltdown I have seen on this site is unreal. I'm almost as shocked at this as I was with how the Pens got bounced. Seriously. If I didn't know better, I'd think I accidently clicked into a Caps/flyers forum.

Amazing.

:thumb: They should merge about a dozen threads in this forum to one big "Post-Series Vent" thread.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins