Shero/Bylsma press conference thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Shero/Bylsma press conference thread

Postby Guinness on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:46 am

RxBandit66 wrote:Where is Mario in all of this? Can't he see the organization is blowing a chance at a dynasty for the second time in two generations?

I'm not sure what some of you guys want. They just did exit interviews a couple of days ago. The playoffs haven't even gotten to the second round yet. The staff probably haven't finished dissecting this debacle. I'm sure Shero has had or very soon will be having a meeting with Lemieux, etc.

Neither Shero nor Bylsma was going to say anything impactful in that interview. And I for one am quite glad they didn't. They said what they needed to say: they took their fair share of responsibility, and said they would have a summer of review, thought, and action. Just because they didn't come out and say, "Martin sucked, Fleury sucked, etc." Doesn't mean they don't think that they did. If Shero decides later on in the summer to seek a trade for Martin, for example or for anyone else, why on earth would he do anything to harm his ability to negotiate?

I'm sorry fans, but as a rule, what they're really thinking is just not for our consumption. Someone earlier in the thread said it - we'll know what he thinks of this team by what he does this summer... actually, we'll just have a "better idea"; he may try to make changes to the team that he just can't.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:32 am

Ok, maybe I wasn't paying attention. Or just missed hearing this. Crosby said (while denying the symptoms were concussion like) felt the "effects" of the hits he took in the series.

From the Sporting News:

Somewhat ominously, given his history, Crosby said he felt the effects of the hits, though he stressed that he didn't have any concussion symptoms.

"I would have liked to feel a little better after those, but I think right now it’s to make sure I have a healthy summer and feel healthy heading into next season," Crosby told reporters on Tuesday.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2 ... z1t9nQRT26
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:03 am

I know Shero was on NHL live yesterday, I'm gonna listen to it later and see if he said anything different.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:18 am

shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:22 am

llipgh2 wrote:Ok, maybe I wasn't paying attention. Or just missed hearing this. Crosby said (while denying the symptoms were concussion like) felt the "effects" of the hits he took in the series.

From the Sporting News:

Somewhat ominously, given his history, Crosby said he felt the effects of the hits, though he stressed that he didn't have any concussion symptoms.

"I would have liked to feel a little better after those, but I think right now it’s to make sure I have a healthy summer and feel healthy heading into next season," Crosby told reporters on Tuesday.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2 ... z1t9nQRT26

He may have been refering to the non head impact parts. Colliding with someone takes its tole on the body as well. Not everything is head related. Just my .02
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:26 am

Thats what I was thinking. He didn't play that much, he was probably not in game shape and was playing playoff hockey.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:27 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Thats what I was thinking. He didn't play that much, he was probably not in game shape and was playing playoff hockey.

Yeah, me too..........fingers crossed.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:59 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Image

Replace Shero's head on Martel 8-)
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:13 pm

SolidSnake wrote:I know Shero was on NHL live yesterday, I'm gonna listen to it later and see if he said anything different.

I don't know if anyone listened to watched the interview but he kind of repeated the same thing as the other day
Shero congratulated the flyers, said the pens lacked discipline
they didn't execute, sounds like he's blaming the players more so then Byslma
again talked about the great regular season

It almost sounds at times like "we got our cup in 09, we're happy"
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:35 pm

We had an exahusted goaltender going into the playoffs who performed poorly, even for an exhausted goaltender. Had he held things together for another 2 weeks, all of the problems we're discussing would still be very real, but we'd be watching the Penguins this weekend. We'd need to do something about a shutdown defensive pair, we'd need to bring in a backup goalie, and we'd need to add a tough-guy forward. Not all, but any of these could be done at next year's trade deadline. If the Penguins were playing next weekend, how ridiculous would this thread look? Fire HCDB, trade 87/71/11, and calls to blow things up would be laughed at.

Now, the one caveat is the potential Staal contract. I'm convinced that if the cap goes down, there will be a labor stoppage. The players' percentage might go down, and they'll restrict the absurdly front loaded contracts, but I think the cap still inches higher due to a recovering economy, and NBC / NBC Sports / CNBC figuring out how to put the product on display. If I'm wrong here, and Staal wants a Toews-esqe contract, he may have to be moved.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:59 pm

People wanted to fire Bylsma before the playoffs started. For the same reasons they want him fired now. The group that wanted him fired was much smaller though. I was pretty indifferent about the issue in the regular season, but this playoffs pretty much sealed the deal.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Trip McNeely on Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:06 pm

My plan: Try to extend Crosby and Staal. Hopefully the Crosby contract will be very similar to his current deal. Staal gets a bump, 5.5 million for 5 years. If Staal cannot be extended for that price....then he needs to be moved this summer when his value is at his highest. We would receive serious return considering what Mike Richards and Jeff Carter got Philly less than a year ago.

Regarding Paul Martin, my suggestion would be to move Martin plus our first round pick (say number 21) for a 1st rounder from a team with immediate defensive needs and picking between 8-12 in the draft. This enables us to free up cap space plus could provide us a forward who can immediately step into the lineup and play with Crosby.
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:47 pm

Trip McNeely wrote:My plan: Try to extend Crosby and Staal. Hopefully the Crosby contract will be very similar to his current deal. Staal gets a bump, 5.5 million for 5 years. If Staal cannot be extended for that price....then he needs to be moved this summer when his value is at his highest. We would receive serious return considering what Mike Richards and Jeff Carter got Philly less than a year ago.

Regarding Paul Martin, my suggestion would be to move Martin plus our first round pick (say number 21) for a 1st rounder from a team with immediate defensive needs and picking between 8-12 in the draft. This enables us to free up cap space plus could provide us a forward who can immediately step into the lineup and play with Crosby.

I'm guessing Sid will stick with $8.7M since he did win a cup under that cap number (of course he was also concussed under tha cap number :slug: hence the problem with superstition)...Staal will probably be looking for $5.5-$6M...but maybe even more importantly than that, he'll want a promise to be more involved (minute-wise) on the ice.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:48 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:If I'm wrong here, and Staal wants a Toews-esqe contract, he may have to be moved.

Staal doesn't have the ground for that.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:02 pm

sil wrote:
Trip McNeely wrote:My plan: Try to extend Crosby and Staal. Hopefully the Crosby contract will be very similar to his current deal. Staal gets a bump, 5.5 million for 5 years. If Staal cannot be extended for that price....then he needs to be moved this summer when his value is at his highest. We would receive serious return considering what Mike Richards and Jeff Carter got Philly less than a year ago.

I'm guessing Sid will stick with $8.7M since he did win a cup under that cap number (of course he was also concussed under tha cap number :slug: hence the problem with superstition)...Staal will probably be looking for $5.5-$6M...but maybe even more importantly than that, he'll want a promise to be more involved (minute-wise) on the ice.

Why would he need more minutes? He might want more top line minutes, rather than eating up 20 some minutes with players that play below the league average. Minutes certainly aren't an issue though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:09 pm

Staal gets plenty of minutes, which is why he is way more than just a "third line center". I can see him wanting a little more PP time, which he should get anyway, but that's about it.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:09 pm

I am suprised no one is taking shots at Geno, he responded to any little thing the Flyers did like a 2 year old. He needed to show better restrenght. his play was ok enough, but he took stupid penalties and easily got caught up in the Fylers tactics, all they had to do was a little bump and Geno wouls take a satupid penality.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:16 pm

no name wrote:I am suprised no one is taking shots at Geno, he responded to any little thing the Flyers did like a 2 year old. He needed to show better restrenght. his play was ok enough, but he took stupid penalties and easily got caught up in the Fylers tactics, all they had to do was a little bump and Geno wouls take a satupid penality.

Hard to take shots at it when you're just used to it.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:16 pm

Gaucho wrote:Staal gets plenty of minutes, which is why he is way more than just a "third line center". I can see him wanting a little more PP time, which he should get anyway, but that's about it.

bingo
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:50 pm

no name wrote:I am suprised no one is taking shots at Geno, he responded to any little thing the Flyers did like a 2 year old. He needed to show better restrenght. his play was ok enough, but he took stupid penalties and easily got caught up in the Fylers tactics, all they had to do was a little bump and Geno wouls take a satupid penality.

If they weren't getting demolished in the series, it may not have been that way. On the other hand, he was doing that all season long even when they were cruising. I get the impression that is an issue with Bylsma, no idea if he does anything to stop stuf flike that. I know Therrien wouldn't have put up with it. I just feel like the further they get away from him, the less restrained they are, in every way. This is why I feel that its time to start the new coaching cycle.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:55 pm

sil wrote:
pressure=9Pa wrote:If I'm wrong here, and Staal wants a Toews-esqe contract, he may have to be moved.

You could be right about that, but I never thought Malone and Scuderi would get the money they are either. There are some GMs out there that don't always make the best decisions.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Streaks House on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:08 pm

offsides wrote:
sil wrote:

You could be right about that, but I never thought Malone and Scuderi would get the money they are either. There are some GMs out there that don't always make the best decisions.

As long as GMs like Garth Snow and Scott Howson have jobs in the NHL, it can and will happen.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:15 pm

The Grass is Greener mentality for firing a coach is funny. I love how people are all like FHCMT wouldn't put up with that. How many people in February of 09 were all happy they got rid of him. Just a joke.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WhoDaresWins on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:46 pm

Ray Shero was on with Madden today. Seth Rorabaugh did a partial transcript (a lot of typos) of the highlights on his Empty Netters blog. It's also podcast on the X's website....pretty good interview.

On the potential of keeping Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal (right) on long-term contracts:

"Common sense, I’d love to keep all three of them. They’re great players. They’re not even in their prime yet. But we’ll have to wait to see. We’ve had these players for a number of years now. We had success for a couple of years now. Went to the finals, won the (Stanley) Cup. But at the same time, there’s a salary cap in place now. And when these guys get into the second and third contracts, you might run into problems trying to keep all three. I’m certainly on record, I’d love to keep all three but in a practical world with a salary cap, that remains to be seen."

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/empty-netters/33997-shero-on-seasons-conclusion-the-most-frustrating-and-disappointing-that-ive-ever-had-04-26-12

Podcast on the X

http://www.1059thex.com/player/?station=WXDX-FM&program_name=podcast&program_id=MarkMadden.xml&mid=22035575
WhoDaresWins
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:50 pm

Rylan wrote:The Grass is Greener mentality for firing a coach is funny. I love how people are all like FHCMT wouldn't put up with that. How many people in February of 09 were all happy they got rid of him. Just a joke.

I liked FHCMT. I tolerate Disco Dan.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins