The draft

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The draft

Postby AussiePenguin on Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:48 pm

Mikey....... Likely NPR but never know, have you had a chance to have a look at Nathan Walker? Played last season for HC Vítkovice of the Czech Extraliga. He is likely to be the first Australian to ever be selected in the NHL entry draft, tipped here (for what thats worth) to go late 2nd/early 3rd? Is that a fair assessment from what you know/or have heard about him? He moved from Sydney to the Czech Rep at 13-14 yrs old to set up for this.
AussiePenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:28 pm

Aussie, I have very limited viewing of him (really don't care for the Czech leagues anymore...very difficult to watch as an American), I've seen just glimpses of him so I'm not overly familiar with his play...average or above average skater, seems to work hard, goes to dirty areas, plays a determined game...I know his story though (or at least the basics) and he's an interesting case. Scouts will be a bit turned off by his nationality (un-natural country) but it's possible he goes in the 3rd round I think...he's a good story regardless, so a team will like that - drafting an Aussie and getting a little attention. I'm not sure where that plays though, meaning, I don't know of any high concentrations of Australians here in the States or in Canada that would really appreciate it more than another place. Like when the Kings brought up Yutaka Fukufuji, that terrible Japanese goalie, it was for the high-concentrations of Asian on the west coast and it was admitted to be a PR pick from the start...and it got some press, certainly...

But here's hopin' for him...I'm pretty sure he helped get Australia promoted at the World Championship to Div 1B from Div 2 in 2011, though they were relegated once again in 2012, it's still promising that they've shown the ability to move up and they have a kid that will feature in national team duty for his country...

There's another prospect from your neck of the woods that's draft eligible...I believe you might refer to him as a "kiwi"...it's Liam Stewart (Rod Stewart's son) and he plays major junior hockey here for the Spokane Chiefs...I don't expect him to be drafted in the NHL, but he's eligible...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:42 am

I'm intrigued by what i've read on Zharkov.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby AussiePenguin on Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:40 am

mikey287 wrote:Aussie, I have very limited viewing of him (really don't care for the Czech leagues anymore...very difficult to watch as an American), I've seen just glimpses of him so I'm not overly familiar with his play...average or above average skater, seems to work hard, goes to dirty areas, plays a determined game...I know his story though (or at least the basics) and he's an interesting case. Scouts will be a bit turned off by his nationality (un-natural country) but it's possible he goes in the 3rd round I think...he's a good story regardless, so a team will like that - drafting an Aussie and getting a little attention. I'm not sure where that plays though, meaning, I don't know of any high concentrations of Australians here in the States or in Canada that would really appreciate it more than another place. Like when the Kings brought up Yutaka Fukufuji, that terrible Japanese goalie, it was for the high-concentrations of Asian on the west coast and it was admitted to be a PR pick from the start...and it got some press, certainly...

But here's hopin' for him...I'm pretty sure he helped get Australia promoted at the World Championship to Div 1B from Div 2 in 2011, though they were relegated once again in 2012, it's still promising that they've shown the ability to move up and they have a kid that will feature in national team duty for his country...

There's another prospect from your neck of the woods that's draft eligible...I believe you might refer to him as a "kiwi"...it's Liam Stewart (Rod Stewart's son) and he plays major junior hockey here for the Spokane Chiefs...I don't expect him to be drafted in the NHL, but he's eligible...

Thanks Mikey, very much appreciated that you have taken the time to offer your thoughts. Will be interesting to see where/if he gets selected, yep, he was in the World Championship team in 2011 and 2012 :thumb: we usually bounce up and down between Div !B and 2 as you say :(
AussiePenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:49 am

both the Post-Gazette and the trib have features on the upcoming draft. D Molinari's reviews GMRS drafts; points out that only 1 of his choices is playing in the NHL, but that isn't the entire story. :)

The Pittsburgh trib has a pull-out section...goes into many rounds of players to be discussed and studied.
by round and position.
Also has a diagram of where the NHL teams will be on the consol floor. I think GM Shero put the Canucks in between the flyers and pens to make the flyers be tempted by Luongo. :D ;)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:33 am

ville5 wrote:I'm intrigued by what i've read on Zharkov.

He's not very well known, but he's someone I've had my eye on much of the year...he's listed as a LW a lot, but he played RW most of the year and shoots from his off-wing. He has a lot of goal-scoring potential. You get a little bit of that Oleg Saprykin feel to him - a lot bigger looking though on the rink, more imposing. He can shoot from anywhere and score, and he does shoot from pretty much anywhere...he's not much of a passer, not really a visionary...he's got a lot of drive in his legs, he can get going pretty well...he's got a lot of puck skills like you'd guess he would...looks like he really wants to play in the NHL, not only did he come over to play juniors but he came and played in the USHL! That's an odd step. Big kid, he can get a little nasty sometimes, but he'd rather just shoot. Doesn't have a clue defensively, probably never will. Goal-scoring potential is high though.

He played a lot of with the overage player we got from Belleville (Adam Payerl).
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:04 pm

mikey287 wrote:
ville5 wrote:I'm intrigued by what i've read on Zharkov.

He's not very well known, but he's someone I've had my eye on much of the year...he's listed as a LW a lot, but he played RW most of the year and shoots from his off-wing. He has a lot of goal-scoring potential. You get a little bit of that Oleg Saprykin feel to him - a lot bigger looking though on the rink, more imposing. He can shoot from anywhere and score, and he does shoot from pretty much anywhere...he's not much of a passer, not really a visionary...he's got a lot of drive in his legs, he can get going pretty well...he's got a lot of puck skills like you'd guess he would...looks like he really wants to play in the NHL, not only did he come over to play juniors but he came and played in the USHL! That's an odd step. Big kid, he can get a little nasty sometimes, but he'd rather just shoot. Doesn't have a clue defensively, probably never will. Goal-scoring potential is high though.

He played a lot of with the overage player we got from Belleville (Adam Payerl).

Mikey speaking of boom or bust prospects what do you hear about Mark Jankowski? I've read some have him as a late first/2nd round pick, after not being drafted by the OHL and playing prep school hockey.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:35 pm

Yeah, I know of him but I know very little about him...I'm not going to be a whole lot of help here to be honest, he's just a kid that I'm gonna sit back and wait and see like everyone else...from what I've gathered, he's a kid that got passed over in OHL territory because he was 5'8" and now a year later, he's 6'2"...so with that, you have to kind of re-learn how to skate, your shooting changes, everything changes...you gotta get way stronger now because all that same body weight is stretched over an extra 6 inches and he had a pretty poor combine as a result from what I've heard...sounds like he has a lot of potential (how many potential first rounders don't have any potential, though, ya know?) from what I read...but without seeing him, I just don't know...he's got some options, says he's going to Providence College in 2 years, in the meantime, he was drafted in the first round of the USHL draft, so that's an option...he can go to a Junior A program in Canada and still retain NCAA eligibility...if he decides to scrap the college idea, the Saginaw Spirit (OHL) drafted him last month in the 7th round, but again, that voids NCAA eligibility...

I feel that bloodlines are pretty important, his grandfather played in the NHL and his great-uncle is Red Kelly...not bad. Sorry I can't provide more info on the player though, I just don't know personally...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:46 pm

Kyle Woodlief's choice for the penguins.
http://www.hockeywilderness.com/2012/6/ ... tom-wilson

22. Pittsburgh — Tom Wilson. The Penguins would love to get their hands on this massive, nasty specimen to ride herd for the Crosbys and Malkins of the world. Pittsburgh's skilled players have been taking far too much abuse. That would stop with Wilson in the lineup.

http://t.co/HR9NQ3LZ
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:47 pm

Quality rumors around hockey circles is that Andrei Vasilevski and Oscar Dansk will play Major Junior hockey next year...draft stock up.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:00 pm

penny lane wrote:Kyle Woodlief's choice for the penguins.

22. Pittsburgh — Tom Wilson. The Penguins would love to get their hands on this massive, nasty specimen to ride herd for the Crosbys and Malkins of the world. Pittsburgh's skilled players have been taking far too much abuse. That would stop with Wilson in the lineup.

I like the idea of having somebody with that kind of skill set on the top two lines. Not sure I want to waste a first round pick on a guy whose mission is to run people into the boards and protect Geno/Sid.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby steelhammer on Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:09 pm

mikey287 wrote:Quality rumors around hockey circles is that Andrei Vasilevski and Oscar Dansk will play Major Junior hockey next year...draft stock up.

As much as I like those two, it is very VERY risky to draft a goalie in the 1st round. They are really really good, but not standout quality good that would warrant a 1st round pick. There will be lots of good goalies still on the board in the 3rd/4th rounds with only a slightly lower chance of making the NHL.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby steelhammer on Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:15 pm

pens_CT wrote:

I like the idea of having somebody with that kind of skill set on the top two lines. Not sure I want to waste a first round pick on a guy whose mission is to run people into the boards and protect Geno/Sid.

Me neither. Guy has zero offensive potential. No thanks.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:25 pm

steelhammer wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Quality rumors around hockey circles is that Andrei Vasilevski and Oscar Dansk will play Major Junior hockey next year...draft stock up.

As much as I like those two, it is very VERY risky to draft a goalie in the 1st round. They are really really good, but not standout quality good that would warrant a 1st round pick. There will be lots of good goalies still on the board in the 3rd/4th rounds with only a slightly lower chance of making the NHL.

For sure, from what I understand, Vasilevski may creep into the very late first round...maybe. Other than that, you're bang on...GMs are very shy about drafting goalies high...none in the top-10 since 2005 in Carey Price right? I can't think of any off-hand...I remember Campbell and Bernier going 11 I think...lots of teams prefer to find undrafted free agent 'tenders at 20 or 22 or older than have to invest a draft pick on a goalie at 18 and then maybe have to decide on signing him after two years of development...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:31 pm

I'm no draft expert, but from what I gather, this years draft will not compare to 2003...this is some 1st round!

1: PIT - Marc-Andre Fleury

2: CAR - Eric Staal

3: FLA - Nathan Horton

4: CBJ - Nikolai Zherdev

5: BUF - Thomas Vanek

6: SJ - Milan Michalek

7: NSH - Ryan Suter

8: ATL - Braydon Coburn

9: CGY - Dion Phaneuf

10: MTL - Andrei Kostitsyn

11: PHI - Jeff Carter

12: NYR - Hugh Jessiman

13: LA - Dustin Brown

14: CHI - Brent Seabrook

15: NYI - Robert Nilsson

16: SJ - Steve Bernier

17: NJ - Zach Parise

18: WSH - Eric Fehr

19: ANA - Ryan Getzlaf

20: MIN - Brent Burns

21: BOS - Mark Stuart

22: EDM - M.A. Pouliot

23: VAN - Ryan Kesler

24: PHI - Mike Richards

25: FLA - Anthony Stewart

26: LA - Brian Boyle

27: LA - Jeff Tambellini

28: ANA - Corey Perry

29: OTT - Patrick Eaves

30: STL - Shawn Belle
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby steelhammer on Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:37 pm

mikey287 wrote:
steelhammer wrote:

For sure, from what I understand, Vasilevski may creep into the very late first round...maybe. Other than that, you're bang on...GMs are very shy about drafting goalies high...none in the top-10 since 2005 in Carey Price right? I can't think of any off-hand...I remember Campbell and Bernier going 11 I think...lots of teams prefer to find undrafted free agent 'tenders at 20 or 22 or older than have to invest a draft pick on a goalie at 18 and then maybe have to decide on signing him after two years of development...

That being said, if Dansk is still on the table when the Pens pick in the 2nd round, you might hear me from the crowd screaming for the Pens to select him.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:45 pm

It won't...no draft might ever again. 1979 also very good.

Food for thought: Is the 2003 draft as good without the 2005 lockout? Those prospects that were already signed were allowed to play in the AHL for a "bonus" year...those that weren't, were not rushed and could remain in juniors or their European club or college for an additional year that some may not have been afforded...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:49 pm

Pretty bad miss by the Rangers at #12 with Hugh Jessiman...especially when that pick was sandwiched between Jeff Carter and Dustin Brown...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby guiner on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:48 pm

KG wrote:Pretty bad miss by the Rangers at #12 with Hugh Jessiman...especially when that pick was sandwiched between Jeff Carter and Dustin Brown...

People said it was a stretch when they took him... Look at the 'hole' in the first round. Awful pick with so much talent...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2003e.html
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:58 pm

Pretty much the last pick of the Lindros era/style of drafting. Lots of busts from 1992-2004 were teams trying to draft a) the next Lindros or b) the guy that can stop this or the next Lindros ...all had fatal flaws.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jasmine on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:38 am

Compared to Milan Lucic? And the abuse of Malkin was a big part of our downfall. Hmmm, in the words of Bob Errey . . . "I LIKE IT"! :)
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:55 am

mikey287 wrote:Pretty much the last pick of the Lindros era/style of drafting. Lots of busts from 1992-2004 were teams trying to draft a) the next Lindros or b) the guy that can stop this or the next Lindros ...all had fatal flaws.

You're saying this about Jessiman?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:31 am

sil wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Pretty much the last pick of the Lindros era/style of drafting. Lots of busts from 1992-2004 were teams trying to draft a) the next Lindros or b) the guy that can stop this or the next Lindros ...all had fatal flaws.

You're saying this about Jessiman?

Yes.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WHITEY1 on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:35 am

WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:03 am

I've been looking over some draft rankings and there's a lot of D clustered around the 8th pick.
(If that Staal deal were to go down.)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins