The draft

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The draft

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:05 am

tfrizz wrote:
Nizzy wrote:Whats wrong with us getting another Center? We look weak at that spot from a prospects point imo.

Nothing wrong with it, but as weak as they look at C they are 10x weaker on the wings.

Dunno about that. Bennett may be the only high-end talent, but then you've still got some potential players in Tangradi, Kuhnhackl, Wilson, Agostino, Uher, and maybe Thompson at the moment.

The only real center prospect right now is Ben Hanowski, and he may be a better fit at wing anyway.... aside from him you've got what, Street? Gibbons?

Obviously the Pens will be set 1-2 for a long time, and 3-4's can be found fairly easily through FA, but (much like D) it's a good position to have flexibility in, as you can either move them to wing, or swap needs with an organization.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tfrizz on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:38 am

meecrofilm wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Nizzy wrote:Whats wrong with us getting another Center? We look weak at that spot from a prospects point imo.

Nothing wrong with it, but as weak as they look at C they are 10x weaker on the wings.

Dunno about that. Bennett may be the only high-end talent, but then you've still got some potential players in Tangradi, Kuhnhackl, Wilson, Agostino, Uher, and maybe Thompson at the moment.

The only real center prospect right now is Ben Hanowski, and he may be a better fit at wing anyway.... aside from him you've got what, Street? Gibbons?

Obviously the Pens will be set 1-2 for a long time, and 3-4's can be found fairly easily through FA, but (much like D) it's a good position to have flexibility in, as you can either move them to wing, or swap needs with an organization.

Fair enough. I was looking at a more short-term window, and hoping there was a NHL-ready winger available in the draft.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:41 am

columbia wrote:
Rocco wrote:We're picking someone? I didn't know LGP got a pick.

PBP on re-entry waivers.

lol no.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:00 pm

columbia wrote:

PBP on re-entry waivers.

Free Kicksave.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:02 pm

Rocco wrote:
columbia wrote:

PBP on re-entry waivers.

Free Kicksave.

Yes
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:24 pm

Jesse wrote:A lot of you have already mentioned some key names.

Guys I'm paying particular attention to:

6. Slater Koekkoek - Big rangy defenseman that can do anything you ask him to.

Have any thoughts on Olli Maatta and Matt Finn? Two players who stock has steadily risen the 2nd half of the season, and could be viable candidates if Shero decides to go D.

I'm just not sure of the ceiling of those 3 (Maatta less so). Looking back at our recent 1st round selections, it seems Shero definitely values a high-end talent in the first round, and even though there's a lot of D ranked in the top-30 and beyond, there might not be any left with a game-breaking talent by the time we pick (a la Morrow), and the preferable choice might be to "reach" so to speak, on a forward whose raw skillset is more sought after (Bennett for example).
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Corvidae on Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:59 pm

I predict the Pens taking Derrick Pouliot, D, Portland Winterhawks.

1) He's a defenseman. Shero loves defensemen.
2) He's a defenseman playing with another defenseman prospect the Pen's have (Morrow). Shero :favorite: the double team dip.
3) He's a defenseman.
4) He's Ranked somewhere in the late teens/ early 20s, depending on what source you use.

As far as I'm concerned they've already picked him.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:04 pm

2. Brendan Gaunce - Prototypical power forward with a good pedigree and work ethic. Center, that's the only issue. Not where he needs to be defensively just yet. Perfect fit if he can convert to wing.

I brought up Gaunce for similar reasons, though I'd also argue we lack depth at center in this organization more than we do winger. He actually reminds me a lot of Grabovski the way he plays in the offensive zone and with the puck, though with a bit more edge. I have a hard time seeing him fall as far down the board as we'll be picking, though it's hard to tell sometimes with those middle first round picks. I really think Shero will have to trade up to be able to grab this kid.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:04 pm

Shero will pick a large north american player, most likely a defensemen or a center, with a small chance that it's a winger.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:05 pm

Corvidae wrote:I predict the Pens taking Derrick Pouliot, D, Portland Winterhawks.

2) He's a defenseman playing with another defenseman prospect the Pen's have (Morrow). Shero :favorite: the double team dip.
3) He's a defenseman.
4) He's Ranked somewhere in the late teens/ early 20s, depending on what source you use.

But how big is he?
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:07 pm

Noise wrote:
Corvidae wrote:I predict the Pens taking Derrick Pouliot, D, Portland Winterhawks.

3) He's a defenseman.

But how big is he?

Probably 5'11. Another Shero favorite.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:11 pm

Noise wrote:Shero will pick a large north american player, most likely a defensemen or a center, with a small chance that it's a winger.

First rounders since being here...

2006: Canadian Center
2007: Canadian Center
2008: n/a
2009: Canadian Defenseman
2010: Californian Winger
2011: Canadian Defenseman

One is NOT like the others. :pop:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Trip McNeely on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:54 pm

I've mentioned this in another post but, if moving Martin is in the cards, the best way I think to do it is to move him and our first rounder for a pick anywhere from 7-12. There are alot of teams in serious need for defenseman (Carolina, Winnipeg, Tampa, Minnesota) and are picking in that range. The Pens could draft a forward who is basically NHL ready and frees us from the Martin contract.

Now, I'm not sure if Shero does want to move Martin, but if he does, this seems like the most advantageous way to do so
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:07 pm

6. Slater Koekkoek - Big rangy defenseman that can do anything you ask him to.

Guys I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole:

1. Tom Wilson - Let the Maple Leafs take this guy.

Koekkoek? :lol: How do you pronouce that? :roll:
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:18 pm

Trip McNeely wrote:I've mentioned this in another post but, if moving Martin is in the cards, the best way I think to do it is to move him and our first rounder for a pick anywhere from 7-12. There are alot of teams in serious need for defenseman (Carolina, Winnipeg, Tampa, Minnesota) and are picking in that range. The Pens could draft a forward who is basically NHL ready and frees us from the Martin contract.

Now, I'm not sure if Shero does want to move Martin, but if he does, this seems like the most advantageous way to do so

Just have to hope no one heard Shero say he's concussed, nor watched him play this past season.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:20 pm

Pens4Life wrote:Koekkoek? :lol: How do you pronouce that? :roll:

Image Image
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Guinness on Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:04 am

columbia wrote:

PBP on re-entry waivers.

:lol:
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Guinness on Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:09 am

Trip McNeely wrote:I've mentioned this in another post but, if moving Martin is in the cards, the best way I think to do it is to move him and our first rounder for a pick anywhere from 7-12. There are alot of teams in serious need for defenseman (Carolina, Winnipeg, Tampa, Minnesota) and are picking in that range. The Pens could draft a forward who is basically NHL ready and frees us from the Martin contract.

I'd be thrilled if he could find a team to switch picks and Martin. Free up space to for Niskanen and Despres, and move up in the draft, even a couple of spots, makes it a win to me.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:29 am

Guinness wrote:

I'd be thrilled if he could find a team to switch picks and Martin. Free up space to for Niskanen and Despres, and move up in the draft, even a couple of spots, makes it a win to me.

To get a forward that's "NHL ready" you pretty much have to be picking in the top-5...or at worst the top-8. Martin and our 1st won't get us that high on the board.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Guinness on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:00 pm

sil wrote:
Guinness wrote:

To get a forward that's "NHL ready" you pretty much have to be picking in the top-5...or at worst the top-8. Martin and our 1st won't get us that high on the board.

Agreed. I didn't say anything about getting an NHL ready player, though.

Edit - I see you were responding to Trip. :oops:
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:10 pm

I wish we drafted more swedish people.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:I wish we drafted more swedish people.

I wish I ate more swedish fish.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:07 pm

steelhammer wrote:Trade up = Teuvo Teravainen
Trade down = Tim Bozon
Stay put = Andrei Vasilevski

I wouldn't mind Vasilevski at all.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Streaks House on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:35 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
steelhammer wrote:Trade up = Teuvo Teravainen
Trade down = Tim Bozon
Stay put = Andrei Vasilevski

I wouldn't mind Vasilevski at all.

What a showing he had at the WJCs a few months ago. He's a pretty big goalie too, around 6'3"/6'4". I'd be hesitant to draft him in the 1st round though because of the KHL factor.

No 1st rounder is a lock to make it to the NHL, but these Euros that aren't already in North America may not even make it across the pond. Look at Evgeny Kuznetsov and Vladimir Tarasenko; the Caps and Blues are still waiting for these 2 high end prospects to come to North America.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:29 pm

Latest Pens can pick now is #23, with Florida losing
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins