The draft

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The draft

Postby sil on Wed May 16, 2012 10:28 am

Much appreciated sir.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:49 am

Just get Henrik in the 2nd. The bad penalties and skating be damned.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:18 pm

The black deligation select:

Spoiler:
Tiger Woods
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:16 am

Pens don’t intend to stray from strategy

“There is no doubt,” New Jersey Devils executive vice president of hockey operations/Director of scouting David Conte said, “that the blue line is the strongest thing about this draft.”

Heinbuck agrees with Conte’s assessment and isn’t afraid to look to the blue line again even though the team has recently drafted blue chip defensemen Simon Despres, Joe Morrow and Scott Harrington.

“It has to be this way,” Heinbuck said. “We’re in the asset business. You don’t know when those assets are going to parlay onto your roster. You don’t want to sacrifice taking a lesser player because of position and not come up with an asset.”

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/189 ... en-forward

It will perfectly delightful around here, if they draft another D in the first round.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby pens_CT on Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:53 pm

columbia wrote:Pens don’t intend to stray from strategy

“There is no doubt,” New Jersey Devils executive vice president of hockey operations/Director of scouting David Conte said, “that the blue line is the strongest thing about this draft.”

Heinbuck agrees with Conte’s assessment and isn’t afraid to look to the blue line again even though the team has recently drafted blue chip defensemen Simon Despres, Joe Morrow and Scott Harrington.

“It has to be this way,” Heinbuck said. “We’re in the asset business. You don’t know when those assets are going to parlay onto your roster. You don’t want to sacrifice taking a lesser player because of position and not come up with an asset.”

It will perfectly delightful around here, if they draft another D in the first round.

Write it down, with the 22nd pick in the first round of the 2012 draft, the Pittsburgh Penguins select, Matt Finn defenseman from the Guelph Storm. :)
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GenoMachino71 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:46 pm

personally, I just hope they take the guy they rate the highest and has the best chance to be an NHL player

who cares what position he is

we turned Ryan Whitney and Alex Goligoski into Chris Kunitz and James Neal (and Niskanan)

the same way guys like Despres and Morrow could be traded for top 2 line caliber wingers in the future if they ever wanted to, or Kris Letang, who would bring in a boatload of talent

no need to draft a guy who may be no more than a 3rd line player just because our system lacks top 2 line caliber forwards..... draft the best player
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby opie22002 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:41 pm

I was reading up on some prospects and checking out some mock drafts. I really like a couple of prospects and was hoping to get some thoughts on a couple of these guys from the people who follow the draft closer on here. Any info on the following guys and your thoughts on if the Pens would take them:

Tomas Hertl - Center
Andrei Vasilevski - Goalie
Pontus Aberg - Winger
Slater Koekkoek - Defenseman
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:49 pm

I still say Gaunce is the best case scenario for the pens.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:28 pm

pens_CT wrote:
columbia wrote:Pens don’t intend to stray from strategy

Write it down, with the 22nd pick in the first round of the 2012 draft, the Pittsburgh Penguins select, Matt Finn defenseman from the Guelph Storm. :)

Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:54 pm

You got to get the best availible player period, if they develop you can trade them, look at what Goligioski got us inreturn. You get the player who can become a NHL asset, a NHL asset can get you the asset you need.

Best player seems to work for me.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jesse on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:06 am

Here's the first part of my draft ranking: 1-10

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/4draft-pr ... ing-part-1
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby steelhammer on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:09 am

no name wrote:You got to get the best availible player period, if they develop you can trade them, look at what Goligioski got us inreturn. You get the player who can become a NHL asset, a NHL asset can get you the asset you need.

So all the Pens have to do is develop said player for 6 years and MAYBE then they can then flip him for a scoring winger? Why not just draft one now so he has the potential to play with Sid while he is still in his twenties?
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby steelhammer on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:14 am

Jesse wrote:Here's the first part of my draft ranking: 1-10

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/4draft-pr ... ing-part-1

Nice write-up. Interesting rankings with good descriptions. Finalize your Pens pick yet?

Also, right on cue, starting to see Bozon's name rising quickly in many mock drafts.
Last edited by steelhammer on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:16 am

Interesting to see Maatta make it into your top-10. Good stuff as always Jesse.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pekkasteele on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:56 am

steelhammer wrote:
no name wrote:You got to get the best availible player period, if they develop you can trade them, look at what Goligioski got us inreturn. You get the player who can become a NHL asset, a NHL asset can get you the asset you need.

So all the Pens have to do is develop said player for 6 years and MAYBE then they can then flip him for a scoring winger? Why not just draft one now so he has the potential to play with Sid while he is still in his twenties?

Maybe the scoring winger is'nt awailable when we draft, but a realy good promising d-man is.
pekkasteele
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Puffymuffin on Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:38 am

Pens4Life wrote:
Jesse wrote:A lot of you have already mentioned some key names.

Guys I'm paying particular attention to:

6. Slater Koekkoek - Big rangy defenseman that can do anything you ask him to.

Guys I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole:

1. Tom Wilson - Let the Maple Leafs take this guy.

Koekkoek? :lol: How do you pronouce that? :roll:

cook cook

It's a Dutch name.
Puffymuffin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby opie22002 on Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:30 pm

I have a feeling the Pens will select Malcolm Subban. They could use a top goalie prospect in the system.
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:46 pm

I'll just make some comments in one of, what seems like, several draft threads...

- Henrik Samuelsson: We might get that chance to pick him in the second round...poor combine, "fat" seems to be the buzzword around him...not a great sign for someone that is already a poor skater...

- Matt Finn, another player with a history of being poorly conditioned (though it improved much this season), really doesn't bolster the organization any...I've seen kids like him ranked in the third round...especially with drafting Harrington this past year, we got all these type of players in our system already to the point that I don't want to use a first on him. He was a tough as nails guy, sure, but he's not even really that strong, he's not big, he's good sure, but not what I'd like to see us invest a mid first round pick on...

- Tomas Hertl was awesome in the Czech Extraliga this year, which isn't easy as they seem to always squash their youngsters down to junior teams, fourth line roles or lose them all together to the CHL...I worry about his skating, it's not just that's he slow (he is) it's not like a quick fix by working with a power skating teacher for a summer, it's mechanically flawed. The wide base allows for better balance, so he can shield the puck better I suppose...but that's worrisome...if we're gonna draft a future third line center, we might as well get the real deal and pick another Staal without the offensive upside...

- Andrei Vasilevski is awesome, plays big, scouts are liking him to be the first goalie chosen, even with the whole Russian thing...the kid can play.

- Pontus Aberg - I've been digging for some video of this kid over the past few weeks and it's pretty impressive offensively I feel. He's fast, he's real fast and he can stop on a dime and give five cents change, very agile, shifty, agile...he shoots a lot and has a quick release too...he doesn't creep into traffic often, but he can kind of sneak around, release a quick shot and get out...he doesn't hang around, he's too small, he's quite weak and just in terms of body language you can tell he doesn't like the idea of being hit at all...he's a perimeter player because it fits him, he's not good defensively from what I've seen and probably isn't in real life either and won't ever be if I had to guess...he's a project, I like his tools, I like his upside, I love his skating...he can play, the question is, where? The NHL is gonna have to get a little more friendly for him to really thrive...his team just got relegated to the Allsvenskan (2nd tier in Sweden), honestly, I'd like to see him come to the OHL for a year if I had the choice (I don't think he's drafted though, as I doubt he has any intention of that) and get a good look at him...but that's not gonna happen...so I'd pass, thinking I could find a similar package later in the draft...keep your eye on him though, he's got a lot of seeing eye shots and a quick release...he's gonna be a player somewhere...

- Slater Koekkoek - I can't remember the last time I saw so many kids get big injuries and ailments in their draft year. Koekkoek is one of a good-sized list...he's good, he's got pro level skating ability already I feel, he skates backwards faster than some OHL forwards skate forward...I really think he's got a lot of tools, sometimes I wonder what he's thinking on the other side of the puck...but sometimes he's on top of it too...so, he just needs some ironing out I'm sure...he does make some weird poorly-timed plays at times, I hope it doesn't continue...good stride, seems like a player that will play at the next level - he won't make it down to us...

- Brendan Gaunce is a pretty good kid, I'm not sure I'm wild about his upside though. Good shot, takes him a while to get it going though...I'm trying to think how much he really challenges guys one-on-one with his skill, and I can't recall a good instance...he's skating is a little bothersome, he's kind of a laborious skater and his first few steps are average at best...once he gets going it's not too too bad, but he can work on it. Has a pretty good head on his shoulders...

- Malcolm Subban - some scouts not very sold on him, gotta like the bloodlines and competitiveness sure...but he's very raw. Very first time I saw him, I was like, "what's with that glove motion?" it's one of those telling things that you see on a goalie who started playing the position at the age of 12...he's really raw, he's good, he's got upside, but he's no sure thing...I don't think we see him go in the first round at all to be honest, and I wouldn't be shocked if he wasn't the first or second goalie to go all told...he scares a lot of people...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:53 pm

mikey.... what do you think we're going to look for in this draft? just going to get the best players available or focus on a specific area?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:56 pm

Jesse wrote:Sil - I don't think we'll take him. His draft stock will be adversely affected by not playing at the end of the year because of injury. I think he needed a solid run late season to really solidify his stock. Looking at the way the rankings are shaking down and what some scouts are saying, Pearson won't go in the first round at all. I wouldn't expect to see the Penguins take a gamble on guys that are listed later on most boards. Remember, Shero isn't targeting anyone. He's checking names off of his best player available list and taking whoever is highest, regardless of position, when the Penguins pick. It will be neither Pearson or Bozon.

keep us posted on your thoughts, Jesse.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:13 pm

Sarcastic wrote:mikey.... what do you think we're going to look for in this draft? just going to get the best players available or focus on a specific area?

Probably BPA, you can't get too swept up in needs and filler down at 22 or whatever we are...I'm not sure the prize talent extends that far (well, I'm pretty sure...that it doesn't.) It's difficult to project what might be there of course, normally I have a couple of real favorites for our draft position but I really don't right now because there's a lot of "who knows" after 11 or 12 or so where it can really get wide open...

If I had a choice: I don't want a goalie with the pick, I don't want another Martin/Harrington d-man, other than that I think I'll be ok...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:19 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:mikey.... what do you think we're going to look for in this draft? just going to get the best players available or focus on a specific area?

Probably BPA, you can't get too swept up in needs and filler down at 22 or whatever we are...I'm not sure the prize talent extends that far (well, I'm pretty sure...that it doesn't.) It's difficult to project what might be there of course, normally I have a couple of real favorites for our draft position but I really don't right now because there's a lot of "who knows" after 11 or 12 or so where it can really get wide open...

If I had a choice: I don't want a goalie with the pick, I don't want another Martin/Harrington d-man, other than that I think I'll be ok...

What's your opinion of Brady Skjei? Supposed to be a strong skater, has a little more size than the typical defensemen in our system, but is he a less offensive version of Ryan Whitney ??
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:38 pm

pens_CT wrote:
mikey287 wrote:

What's your opinion of Brady Skjei? Supposed to be a strong skater, has a little more size than the typical defensemen in our system, but is he a less offensive version of Ryan Whitney ??

Yeah, I've seen this kid. Great skater, really great footwork, his crossover, his transition, the whole deal looks pretty good...upper echelon skater for sure. He has a good jump, he has that "pop" you like to see for loose pucks...he's very raw, a real work in progress...he's not physical at all and he lacks puck poise even in at a low level like USHL...you can get to the net on him and get a jab at a loose puck before he'll even consider saying "boo" about it...he can rush the puck well, I'm not confident I've seen enough of his puck skills to really comment on his distribution, his shot didn't come off as really powerful in limited views. He's a long, long way off. He's softer than Whitney at the same age, IIRC...

As I'm typing this, I'm thinking like, "if I keep knocking all these kids right around the 22 area...man, I'm gonna be unhappy next week almost no matter what...I better start finding some positives" ...Skjei is a good base to work off of and he can be refined into something more than he is, no doubt. He has a lot of potential, a real mobile base, good size, he's got some years ahead of him with the Golden Gophers where they can put some hair on his chest I feel...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ossa on Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:06 pm

From what I've read, Pontus Aberg's stock has really been hurt by injury this year. He was killing it early in the top Sweedish league and with the way he was playing some thought he could be top 10. Since his injury he hasn't had a lot of minutes and has had trouble finding the back of the neck. imo depending on what's available, I wouldn't mind the Pens taking a chance at him. Although he may not work in the NHL, his shot is wicked good, he's quick, and has the potential to be pretty good.

What do people think about Frk? I could see a team taking a chance at him mid first round and I could see him dropping all the way to the 3rd round.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:54 pm

It's a little bit uncharacteristic of me to really like a player like Martin Frk...but man, he can play. He has some of the best hands in this draft, a really terrific shot, great one-timer from a right-handed shot, great skill player...protects the puck well, he stands up for himself, he can take a beating for a little bit but does tend to snap and just start going all nuts on people at some point...and he starts taking bad penalties and getting distracted...you can get to him for sure...he had a concussion, which is a big concern...he's not really that good of a skater and I can't see him ever really playing defense in his career. He has Radulov type upside but with a lot of the baggage...if he's there at 52, I'm in. I don't think he will be. But he needs some real quality coaching and he needs to give a little bit from his end too, a willingness to improve his deficiencies, and he'll be a rockstar in the NHL...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins