Why soooooo many complaints about....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Why soooooo many complaints about....

Postby darkstar57 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:03 am

one thing i don't get is DB was experimenting with different styles of play and systems this year, i remember at least 2-3 games where i saw a 1-3-1 for part of the game. Not sure why he want a way from that. With the talent on this team, we should easily be able to transition to a different style play game to game and even period to period and shift to shift. We have it in us to get teams off balance
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby meow on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:07 am

darkstar57 wrote:one thing i don't get is DB was experimenting with different styles of play and systems this year, i remember at least 2-3 games where i saw a 1-3-1 for part of the game. Not sure why he want a way from that. With the talent on this team, we should easily be able to transition to a different style play game to game and even period to period and shift to shift. We have it in us to get teams off balance

The 1-3-1 is a situational trap. If you used it all the time, you'd get murdered.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jesse on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:17 am

meow wrote:
darkstar57 wrote:one thing i don't get is DB was experimenting with different styles of play and systems this year, i remember at least 2-3 games where i saw a 1-3-1 for part of the game. Not sure why he want a way from that. With the talent on this team, we should easily be able to transition to a different style play game to game and even period to period and shift to shift. We have it in us to get teams off balance

The 1-3-1 is a situational trap. If you used it all the time, you'd get murdered.

You'd also be the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby darkstar57 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:18 am

meow wrote:

No i get that, just saying, you looked like he was trying out different styles of play and not sure why he went away from that.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby meow on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:27 am

Jesse wrote:
meow wrote:

You'd also be the Tampa Bay Lightning.

And no one wants that. I'm pretty sure Tampa doesn't even want that.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:28 am

darkstar57 wrote:
meow wrote:

No i get that, just saying, you looked like he was trying out different styles of play and not sure why he went away from that.

Ahh, I see what you are saying. My guess is Bylsma won a cup playing a certain way, in his first year as a NHL head coach and maybe he has a hard time abandoning that style of play.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:30 am

Random complaint/thought here. But do you know what really bugged me?

The fact that when we had 7 d-men dressed everyone would get all excited and talk about how that is awesome because we can double shift one of our big 3. Which is true. You know what else is true? You can double shift your big 3 if you only dress 6 d-men too. You just do it, the only difference is you hurt someones feelings on the bench.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby offsides on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:55 am

Jesse wrote:Every team in the NHL plays differently in all 3 zones. There isn't an over-arching system that a team plays in all three zones of the ice. You play one way in the neutral zone (both offensively and defensively), one way in the offensive zone, one way in the defensive zone, and obviously different ways with the special teams.

The most glaring issue that needs to be addressed is the breakout. That's what's killed the Penguins for the last 3 years. They want to go North quickly. Other teams know that. The Flyers played a 1-3-1 SEVERAL times this series. That's the same system they mocked just a few short months ago. They know it works. Take the home run stretch pass away and the Penguins suffocate. They need to come back to go forward. You can't pass the puck through 4 defenders from blueline to blueline.

The offensive zone system is perfect. The defensive zone system is fine when executed properly. The Penalty Kill worked all year until the guys brain farted their way out of the first round.

If we're changing anything, let's change the breakout and leave everything else alone. The 1-2-2 is perfect for this team.

This makes sense to me also. Wonder if any coaches feel the same? Probably not.
offsides
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:25 am

Maybe they should bring back Therrien. Are they still paying him or is this the first year he's off the payroll?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:07 pm

I love when Jesse shows up.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RentedMule66 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:58 pm

Jesse wrote:This isn't a direct knock on anyone, but people that complain about the "system" wouldn't know the "system" if it came up and bit them in the behind.

"System" is a very general term used by people that are upset about something but have no other way of conveying it.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
RentedMule66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RentedMule66 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:01 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I'm not sure what his system is. It looks like they're a soccer team playing down a goal in added time.

Hahahaha.... Thats exactly the way it looks recently!!!
RentedMule66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:02 pm

Jesse wrote:This isn't a direct knock on anyone, but people that complain about the "system" wouldn't know the "system" if it came up and bit them in the behind.

"System" is a very general term used by people that are upset about something but have no other way of conveying it.

I think it's just another way of saying of what they played (system) in the playoffs and the last month of the season did not work very well!

Or if it's not the system, then it was the lack of execution.

Same difference...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:08 pm

Not sure what system they used either. I just know the Pens gave up 5 (or was it 6?) breakaways, in their first 3 playoff games.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:13 am

RentedMule66 wrote:

I don't think the pens or the coaching staff knew what the system was either, or it was the "pick up" team system where everyone was running around doing their own thing.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby moondart on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:17 am

joker10277 wrote:The system they won the cup with is not what their playing now, DB turned the guys loose a little when he took over for MT, but they still played with defensive structure. DB's system that he put in after that is an absolute failure in the post season, played it for 3 years, got bounced every year.

Give this man a cigar!!!!
moondart
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Noise on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:15 am

Well the system when Bylsma came in was Therrien's system with a bit of aggression added.

I can't even really say that Flyers series was Bylsmas system though.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:28 am

RentedMule66 wrote:

The system is at fault for people not knowing the system. I blame the system's failure for the failure of the system. I also blame Fleury for the system's failure to prevent the failure of the system.

Players don't fail, systems do (and coaches who fail to prevent the failure of systems).

Please just fix Marc Andre Fleury's brain and the system's results will be pretty much consistent with the success we have had prior to the playoffs,

:? :?
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins